July 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    My knee is feeling good, but it's super hot and humid today, plus I'm on call...which means I'm home bound...so starting up again tomorrow. Going to Bikram Saturday (hopefully) to stretch some of these super tight muscles!

@skippygirlsmom I don't understand why they put treadmills in front of mirrors like that...my gym does it...I ended up staring at the ceiling through the mirror why I got stuck on one of them.. oh and my iPod died..so I was a hot mess as well, it was torture!
    @Stoshew71 you are killin it!
    @Runningmischka your little one is such a doll!
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    July Goals:
    13 runs. (4)
    67km (20km)
    10 minute intervals (7min)
    6km long run. (5km)
    5km under 40min (40.52m)

2 July.......5km.........5.30min int......42.53m
    4 July.......5km.........6min int...........43.23m
    6 July.......5km.........6.30min int......43.31m
    8 July.......5km.........7min int...........40.52m

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member

@aine8046 By the way, nice profile picture there :wink: I know exactly what it is saying hahaha.
    Thanks... I speak Russian too :)
  • emacg2
    emacg2 Posts: 113 Member
    Hi new to this. Late starter. 70 mile. Good luck and safe running
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    @dennie24 - I think that's a great plan too. I have restarted 3 times over with C25k due to diff. injuries. You prob. will find that you won't need all the time they give you to advance, but.... you may want to take your time. Remember running is running, whether you are training for a marathon or a 5k, you're out there! It's better to run easy than to push yourself into another injury. Glad your pain free Sweetie!
    @ddmom0811 - Enjoy your stay in NY! (and be safe)
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks for sharing the Humid Running Tips. My favorite tips-- "opt for a shaded path (versus heat-absorbing roads), run close to water (bodies of water offer breezier conditions), and take walk breaks. It's essential to hydrate properly and let go of any time-based goals—run by feel instead of pace"
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I'm in (a few days late!)... Training for another half marathon this fall and running some shorter races in the meantime. I ran ~90 miles in June, so I'm aiming to top that this month--let's say 100 miles. I've done ~23.5 so far in July!

4 miles yesterday and 6.25 today, and I'm up to 33.75! It's been so hot and humid here in Boston--my pace is really suffering.

• 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Looks like lots of people are staying on track, which is awesome and inspiring. Today was supposed to be a cross-train for me, but I decided to define "cross training" as watching the final 6 Episodes of Star Trek:Voyager. I never did make it to the gym to cross-train, but ate as if I had spent a couple of hours there.

Back on track tomorrow - 4 miles Thursday. 10 on Friday or Saturday.

419er
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,479 Member
    July 01 - 6.3 miles
    July 02 - 3.3 miles
    July 03 - REST
    July 04 - 6.4 miles (10K + 0.2 warmup)
    July 05 - 4.3 miles (3.0 + 1.3)
    July 06 - REST
    July 07 - 5.2 miles
    July 08 - 4.9 miles

July Goal: 90 miles
    Miles so far: 30.4
    Miles left: 59.6

I had a meeting in Austin, MN (Home of SPAM!) this afternoon so I brought my running gear, found a trail and ran. It was a nice trail through the woods and along an old rail line. Had planned on going 3 but there was more to see so I kept going. I wasn't feeling up to par so tomorrow will be a rest day.

8lvhwvr1kk7t.jpeg
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Question for those who have been running for a while...when do you buy new shoes? Do you go by miles or by feel? I've been told by some that you can tell when you need new shoes because you start getting some pain in your feet, knees, or whatever. I really don't want to wait until I feel pain so I'm leaning towards replacing my shoes after a certain number of miles. As a big guy, 230 pounds (I love typing that! I was 258 just 4 months ago), I'm considering replacing after 300 miles, thinking my weight will be compressing the midsoles quite a bit. My current pair have 134 on them now.

The other thought I had is that when they get to 150 miles or so, buy another pair and then alternate between then two. When I first bought these, Brooks Glycerin 12, it was a tough decision between these and Asics Gel Nimbus 17 so I may get the Asics next time.

Let me know your thoughts if you would please. @Stoshew71 if you'd rather I post questions like this outside the thread, just say the word.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @7lenny7 - My first pair of running shoes were Brooks Glycerin 12's as well, and I am a 240 pound runner. I also assumed they would wear out a bit early so I bought another pair of shoes after 150 miles to rotate (Brooks Dyad 8's). After my first pair hit 250 miles I bought a pair of Glycerin 13's (love them) to rotate in when the first pair gave up. At about 300 miles I switched to using my original Glycerin 12's only on shorter runs to avoid having to deal with much pain. They hit 318 miles before I could first say I had any pain, and it is hard to pin it fully on the shoes...but I assumed they would crap out by about this point so I retired them last week.

I have to admit, I really liked rotating through 3 pairs of shoes and I am thinking of getting either a new pair of Glycerin 13's (did I mention I love those?) or maybe trying out some Hoka's. I hear those can get some impressive mileage.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Question for those who have been running for a while...when do you buy new shoes? Do you go by miles or by feel?

Sort of both. I've been wearing Saucony Kinvaras for so long that I know that I have to start to phase them out around 300-400 miles because they're too lightweight to do much good after that. My pair that has about 420 miles are super worn down and I basically never wear them anymore (plus there are holes in both the toe boxes!). However, I just bought a pair of Saucony Rides and since I've never worn that model before, I'll decide more by feel than mileage. Because it's a sturdier shoe, I assume I'll wear them through 500-600 miles before having to ditch 'em. I cycle between 3 pairs of shoes (plus I have one water proof pair for rainy days), so once one starts to get real worn out and is nearing its mileage limit, I replace it and add the new shoe into the rotation.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Easy six miler this morning. Rest day tomorrow, then another weekend of ridonkulous mileage. Next week is a rest week though. That should be nice.

7/1 - 12 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (18 miles total)
    7/4 - 16 miles (34 miles total)
    7/5 - 12 miles (46 miles total)
    7/7 - 6 miles (52 total)
    7/8 - 12 miles (64 total)
    7/9 - 6 miles (70 total)

Goal 200 miles

exercise.png

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    edited July 2015
    @7lenny7 I have been rotating 2-3 pairs of running shoes: Brooks Ghost 6, Saucony Guide, Brooks Ghost 7. When it comes to replacing a pair, I personally go by their approximate mileage (around 500 miles) and by feel. For example, my Ghost 6 probably have less than 500 miles, but they are definitely not suited for running anymore. I cannot bring myself to throwing them out just yet, so now I use them for walks with my dog and/or stroller walks.
    I actually have a shoe allowance: 2 pairs of running gear per year at most :D I am being serious here. If I didn't, then running shoes would have been the only type of shoes I'd have. Hahaha
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 REST DAY
    7/2 7.5 miles - 7.5
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 13.2 miles - 20.7
    7/5 REST DAY
    7/6 7.3 miles - 28
    7/7 7 miles - 35
    7/8 REST DAY
    7/9 5.25 miles - 40.25

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I have about 6 pairs that I rotate. I usually go to Burlington Coat Factory or Kohl's and see if I can find a really good deal. Or the expo's of some of the major races have steals. Every so often I go to the Outlet Stores and see what they have in the them as well. I don't like paying a lot for shoes since I go through so many of them. Between 400-500 miles is about the time I need to retire a pair.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/Anne!

Here is me on Garmin Connect for those of you that use that site :)

Feel free to add me!

I just realized that my privacy setting didn't allow everyone to view my profile. I have fixed it!

• LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LittlePinkShotgun - a 6:05 pace sounds pretty awesome to me, especially since I am pretty sure I would never be able to go that fast!

It would be fast if it was minutes per mile but my pace is in minutes per kilometer... it converts to 10 min per mile (ish).

• esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    edited July 2015
    7/2 - 2.34 miles
    7/4 - 6.1 miles
    7/6 - 2.94 miles
    7/7 - 4 miles
    7/8 - 2.42 miles

Total: 17.98 miles, remaining: 82 miles

• Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 3 miles
    7/4 - 4 miles
    7/5 - 6 miles
    7/8 - 4.7 miles
    7/9 - 2.3 miles

Early morning run today (4:30 am). I carry lights, but don't use them unless there is traffic, which is rare that early in the morning. I had just made my last turn around (0.4 miles from home) and spotted an animal in the road. Hoping it wasn't a skunk, I turned on my light. It was my cat! She must have followed me when I passed the house the last time. She stuck with me all the way home and made sure that I noticed her food dish was empty when I got back.

exercise.png