July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Praying for you @karllundy - Terrible being sick in the summer. Just terrible.
    @WhatMeRunning - Boy, you are racking up those miles fast! WTG Sir!
    13.1 miles almost all of it in the soft rain. It was beautiful! I felt like you @skippygirlsmom ! Loving it in those sprinklers! Glad you had a great time.
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    4 miles for me today. That brings it to 10 out of 50 for the month.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am finally back to the running challenges, woohoo! It's nice to see all the familiar faces AND so many new runners joining the challenge!

A little update: my little runner Anna Elizabeth arrived on May 22, 2015 @ 6:13am EST, 5lb 9 oz and 19.5 inches of pure joy! We call our baby girl Anya :) She sure kept me busy for the last 6 weeks, which flew by faster than I expected. We already celebrated being 1 month old :# Below is one of the hundreds shots that I've taken. Yeah, I became that mom hahahahaha.

kvkzgl1ohztd.jpg

I'll shoot for 80 miles of running/walking. I can probably do more, but would like to start easy.
    So glad to be back!!! Happy Running everyone ;)

P.S. Any expecting moms, feel free to message me. I ran and lifted through my entire pregnancy and I think it made a huge difference in my delivery and recovery.

Congrats on you baby girl - she is adorable! My kids are grownup now and miss the time when they were cute and tiny... Enjoy every day, kids grow up amazingly fast! :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 REST DAY
    7/2 7.5 miles - 7.5
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 13.2 miles - 20.7
    7/5 REST DAY
    7/6 7.3 miles - 28
    7/7 7 miles - 35
    7/8 REST DAY

exercise.png

No running today. Yesterday's run left my glutes and hammies too sore.
    I am being more concious about recovery than in the past. In the past, today would have been a recovery run day with the way I was feeling. However, I was just thinking last night, what point would it make to run 3 miles at a recovery pace when I should just rest my sore glutes.

I am still not sure what to call this? An injury that is just taking too much time to heal or just normal reactions to adaption for all the hard training I am putting in?

It's not like I never ran 50-55 miles per week before. I did last year in my build up to marathon training. And I was not breaking any 10% rule in either case. The differences I see are: I was running these now at a bit faster pace than I did last year. I am also working on lifting my feet and knees higher in my running form. So I am thinking that if I want to work on form and pace, I can't focus on the mileage right now.

• LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    July 1 - rest
    July 2 - 5
    July 3 - 10.5
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 14.3
    July 6 - 5.2
    July 7 - 7.6
    July 8 - 8.8

Total - 51.3 Kms

Today on my lunch hour I ran with my new found group from work up to Mooney's Bay (4.4km), swam in the river, and then ran back for a total of 8.8km. It was super fun! I don't mind having my wet hair in a bun at my desk... not really. My only meeting is a teleconference. I can get away with it.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    July 1 - rest
    July 2 - 5
    July 3 - 10.5
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 14.3
    July 6 - 5.2
    July 7 - 7.6

Total - 42.6

Today's session was "speed work" which I absolutely sucked at. My average pace ended up being 6:05 due to me going out too fast then having to shuffle back LOL. Next week will be better!!!

Just curious what your workout was?

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    7/1 = 5 miles
    7/2 = 6 miles @ 6 weeks postpartum!
    7/3 = weight training in the morning, 4 miles stroller walk
    7/4 = Rest day, holiday dinner with the family and a very cranky baby. Add a dog terrified by the fireworks, shaking, panting and salivating on my bed, and you get the whole picture of my 4th of July night. Breath in…Breath out…
    7/5 = 4 miles run, hot and humid, but I needed it for my sanity; 3 miles walk with the baby.
    7/6 = 3 miles. Super hot, humid, yucky but an outside run it was!
    7/7 = 2 miles around the block. Very tired today.
    7/8 = 6 miles

@aine8046 Thank you :) People keep telling me to enjoy every minute since children do grow up super fast, so I am trying to soak it all in and capture as many joyful moments as possible. By the way, nice profile picture there :wink: I know exactly what it is saying hahaha.

@Stoshew71 I think it's very smart that you took it easy today. Your body does need to recover! We, runners, tend to forget that as we test our abilities and challenge our limits. I learned that a rest day is absolutely needed if one wants to keep progressing in their running.

@LittlePinkShotgun wow that sounds like a fun workout! And yes, what kind of work do you do that lets you have such workouts in the middle of a day? Are you hiring? :D
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Went and did 2.5k tonight, beat my best time on that route by 10 seconds, I knew I would tonight it just felt right when I was running, I like those kinda runs :smile:

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • fitfloridagirl
    fitfloridagirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 50! This is my first challenge, so I'm starting with something achievable.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    6.5 today in an unseasonably comfortable temperature. Loved every minute of it. Puts me at 26.1/80.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    7/1 - 3.3 miles - usually my rest day, but keeping my streak alive (3 more days!)
    7/2 - 4.6 miles while eating lots of breakfast gnats yuck!
    7/3 - 2.3 miles - short run today - took a new running partner who hasn't run in a while. She did great! It was cooler and raining.
    7/4 - 6.2 miles - last day of my Memorial Day to 4th of July 41 Days of Awesome running challenge.
    7/5 - rest day and travel to El Paso ugh what a trip
    7/6 - 2.5 horrible dreadmill miles
    7/7 - 4.2 miles and 2.25 - went and ran where my boss told me. It was beautiful. It was like 90 and no shade during the run and my breathing is taking a beating, but it was worth to 30 min drive to get there. When I was leaving the hotel we got hit with a sandstorm. Wish I had a better camera then my blackberry with me.

25.35 miles out of 100

exercise.png

jecj13sa3q8i.jpg
    bmt4jie4w9e3.jpg
    yrbmgxnl3976.jpg

Nice run path, but I would be tempted to run those mountains. :-)

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. My sport's medicine doc told me yesterday that I could start trying to do some run/walk intervals and build myself back up again. I decided to pretty much just go back to c25k because I am also trying to build my squat and deadlift back up and I don't want to overdo it. I did a week2day2 run today and had no pain in my leg so yay! Since I am trying to ease back into it, I am setting a goal of 220 minutes instead of going off of miles and it will include running and walking because I don't feel like figuring out how much I will be running v. walking. I'm so glad to be back with you all.
    exercise.png

@Runningmischka Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Put in 10k today...

exercise.png
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @dennie24 What a great idea using the minutes instead of miles for your c25k! I should've thought of that!

Today was c25k Day 3 week 4 and it was terrible. I think it was because I went out a little later than normal and it was probably already about 80 instead of 70-75 with a pretty high humidity. I suuuuuucked. But I finished.

exercise.png
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    After 3 gym days on the trot and an awful day at work, I opted for an easy paced 2.5km tonight.

exercise.png
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Today started - Week 2 on B210K - 4.11 miles.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    July 1 - rest
    July 2 - 3.75 run/walk combo
    July 3 - 5 miles
    July 4 - 5.76 miles
    July 5 - walked 5 miles in morning to scout out a place to do long run. Then walked another 6 all around the city.
    July 6 - rest
    July 7 - 8.6 - fun run to Roosevelt Island and then around the island. Weather is great for me!
    July 8 - 4.1 miles running plus a 12 mile bike ride around Central Park! Was humid today though.

exercise.png

@stoshew71 - you are smart to rest it. So hard to do, I know. Going to read the humidity article you posted, thanks.
    @skippygirlsmom - love the pictures!
    @dennie24 - glad you can start back and C25K will be a great way to do it. :)
    @karllundy - get better. I agree with everyone else, summer colds are terrible!
    @fitfloridagirl - welcome! And with the heat in FL you need to definitely start slow. Last summer I was out of town about 5 weeks and was running and doing great. When I got back home, I had to start all over! The heat is just brutal.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    d3w6jy386x63.jpg

Using runkeeper to track my progress. Determined to do it this month, seeing as I was injured last month and had to ease up. C'mooooooon :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @jimcrackindandy - great run!
    @stoshew71 - rest rest rest and feel better, when I was reading your post I thought exactly what you said, you are much faster than you were last year. There was a canal between me and the mountains I'm sure there was a way to get to them but I couldn't figure it out. There were people riding bikes on the side and I wanted to yell across how did you get over there! Besides the paved way there is a dirt trail too that you can run on if you prefer.
    @littlepinkshotgun - your lunch work out sounds fantastic
    @bbandme super on the route PR woohoo!!
    @fitfloridagirl welcome
    @toriraeh we all have those off days that just suck - hang in there