Skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This seems like a silly point to continue arguing with studies that are not proving no breakfast = obesity vs all the people on this forum who don't eat breakfast and are successfully losing weight/hitting their fitness goals.

I wanted to post the Wiki link to "Correlation does not equal causation." but found this instead when I googled which is much more entertaining: http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations. By the no breakfast=obesity logic I can now conclude that eating less margarine leads to fewer divorces in Maine.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    We should be skeptical of studies.

Over the past years I have learned:
    Eggs are bad for you. Eggs are good for you. Eggs are once again bad for you. And finally again they are good.

Fat is horrible for you. You should eat a low fat diet. Later it comes out that fat is not bad for you.

I believe carbs might be bad for you at the moment. Or it might be foods with a high glycemic
    index. Or maybe it is sugar specifically! Really it is hard to keep track.

People who run the studies may have a bias (paid for by a company wanting specific results). They may also be expecting certain results so they only look at the data that supports those results. Having a paper published does not necessarily make you a credible source.

correlationvscausation.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm still seeing no response to the articles I posted indicating the positive benefits of extended fasting periods.

You can't say the science supports your position if you're going to ignore all the science that refutes it.

First of all you are comparing apples to oranges, and second I don't see any credible studies posted that refutes anything in the Harvard studies. But then again there have been literally 10's of 1000s of studies on this subject which makes it very easy for people to cherry pick data much like the Tobacco apologist did while trying to spread doubt and disinformation regarding Tobacco use. This is why I used that analogy and which is exactly why I don't personally interpret scientific data. I merely post quotes from the abstracts which are written by the study authors.

Furthermore no insult intended and with all do respect I seriously doubt you, nor I or anyone else here is educated or qualified enough to interpret the data in these studies, So if you are attempting to interpret data then excuse me if I don't place a high degree of confidence in your personal interpretation of said data. Again that's why I defer to the experts and the standing scientific consensus on the subject.. Keep in mind that not all research studies are created equal. The studies I quoted were performed by highly credible researchers by one of the worlds most respected institutions. These studies spanned 16 years with over 30,000 test subjects and they are 1000's of pages long..

Once again the facts as written by the experts who preformed the studies
    • July 28, 2013:
      A 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
      A 16-year study from Harvard of nearly 30,000 subjects found that men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • July 15, 2013:
      A study from Harvard University School of Public Health published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • June 17, 2013:
      A study from the University of Minnesota found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with subjects who routinely skip breakfast

Once again I'm astounded that I actually found anyone who would challenge the validity of these scientific studies and try and interpret them in a manner contradictory to the official conclusion of the study authors. As far as the scientific community and experts are concerned the science is pretty much settled yet here we are, Next thing I know if I say the world is a globe people here will argue that the earth is flat and post links to the flat earth society as proof.

Once again let me clarify that I was responding to people claiming that there is no scientific evidence that supports the claim that skipping breakfast is unhealthy.

Quite the contrary as I have shown there is substantial data backing up this finding. Whether you agree with the results of these scientific study's or not it's irresponsible and dishonest to tell someone that there is no valid scientific research or reason for eating breakfast. The honest and honorable thing to do is provide them with the best available data and let them make up their own mind, which is exactly what I've been trying to do...

I love how you skip the "facts" I brought up about said study. Even the conclusion of the study says that more testing is needed for it to mean anything? Why not reply to my points above pulled from said article.

You keep referencing these studies, but I don't think you have actually read them. Maybe you just are going by the abstract. I don't know.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm still seeing no response to the articles I posted indicating the positive benefits of extended fasting periods.

You can't say the science supports your position if you're going to ignore all the science that refutes it.

First of all you are comparing apples to oranges, and second I don't see any credible studies posted that refutes anything in the Harvard studies. But then again there have been literally 10's of 1000s of studies on this subject which makes it very easy for people to cherry pick data much like the Tobacco apologist did while trying to spread doubt and disinformation regarding Tobacco use. This is why I used that analogy and which is exactly why I don't personally interpret scientific data. I merely post quotes from the abstracts which are written by the study authors.

Furthermore no insult intended and with all do respect I seriously doubt you, nor I or anyone else here is educated or qualified enough to interpret the data in these studies, So if you are attempting to interpret data then excuse me if I don't place a high degree of confidence in your personal interpretation of said data. Again that's why I defer to the experts and the standing scientific consensus on the subject.. Keep in mind that not all research studies are created equal. The studies I quoted were performed by highly credible researchers by one of the worlds most respected institutions. These studies spanned 16 years with over 30,000 test subjects and they are 1000's of pages long..

• July 28, 2013:
      A 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
      A 16-year study from Harvard of nearly 30,000 subjects found that men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • July 15, 2013:
      A study from Harvard University School of Public Health published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • June 17, 2013:
      A study from the University of Minnesota found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with subjects who routinely skip breakfast

Once again I'm astounded that I actually found anyone who would challenge the validity of these scientific studies and try and interpret them in a manner contradictory to the official conclusion of the study authors. As far as the scientific community and experts are concerned the science is pretty much settled yet here we are, Next thing I know if I say the world is a globe people here will argue that the earth is flat and post links to the flat earth society as proof.

Once again let me clarify that I was responding to people claiming that there is no scientific evidence that supports the claim that skipping breakfast is unhealthy.

Quite the contrary as I have shown there is substantial data backing up this finding. Whether you agree with the results of these scientific study's or not it's irresponsible and dishonest to tell someone that there is no valid scientific research or reason for eating breakfast. The honest and honorable thing to do is provide them with the best available data and let them make up their own mind, which is exactly what I've been trying to do...

While I don't have a degree in dietary science, I do have a master's in a field which requires heavy background in statistical analysis and research methodology. I'll go ahead an give myself the edge in this argument on that front.

And I find the wording used above in bold very interesting... More relevant that you realize, I'm sure.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Again, just put the studies aside for a minute.

65% of the US is overweight or obese. Even if HALF those people (which I doubt) skipped breakfast, that still leaves 37.5% of them that do eat breakfast.

Just off that "opinion", please explain how eating breakfast is still considered a lower risk to reduce getting overweight or obese?

Please explain this phenomenon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Where's the links to these peer reviewed studies? All we have to go off of is your interpretation.

I would not even think of skipping breakfast because I love it so much, but it has nil to do with weight loss. Really, it's preference only.

Up until about a year and a half ago I never ate breakfast, In fact I still have a hard time eating first thing in the morning when I wake up. But just like doing push-ups first thing in the morning I've trained myself to do it. By the way doing push-ups first thing every morning while I wait for my water to boil is probably one of the best habits I've ever developed.

I do between 150-200 push-ups a day, If I can get my wife to sit on my shoulders while I do them then I can drop it down to about 50. 10 years ago I was involved in a bicycle accident that severely injured my back, legs and knees, I was in a chair for almost a year, I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom without help. The Dr's all told me I would be lucky to walk a mile without a cane let alone ever run one again. This week I ran my first mile and I can walk 10 miles without a cane and do 50 push-ups with my wife sitting on my back, Not bad for an old man who just a year and a half ago weighed in at nearly 300 pounds and couldn't get out of bed or up from a chair or walk to the bathroom without help. The only way I was able to do this was by developing good habits and breaking bad ones.

"All we have to go off of is your interpretation"
    Those aren't my interpretations, Those are actual quotes from the abstract descriptions, I just added the journal publish dates to make it easier to find the abstract. I already provided the search link to pubmed where these abstracts can be found. I didn't do all the work for you, It's up to you to narrow the search because there are over 700 pages in the search index when you search pubmed for a simple term like "skipping breakfast" Far to much research materiel for anyone person to parse, once again the reason for the dates.

"it's preference"
    I agree eating breakfast is a personal decision. But like all dietary habits it should be a well informed decision not one based on someone else's subjective personal opinion. Just like smoking and drinking, as long as you are well informed and understand the difference between subjective personal opinion as apposed to credible scientific research and understand and accept the risk's then it's your choice but denying the risks or worse yet telling others there is no risk or scientific basis for eating breakfast is not only irresponsible its contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject..

"but it has nil to do with weight loss."
    Again the key word here is SAFE weight loss..

As I have shown, scientific research has shown that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with people who routinely skip breakfast.

Therefore developing or advocating a dietary habit that increase's a persons risk of a heart attack, obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes doesn't fall under the definition of "safe" weight loss by any stretch of the imagination.
    • July 28, 2013:
      According to a 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
    • July 15, 2013:
    • June 17, 2013:
    There were also quite a few university research studies which indicated that people who ate breakfast were more successful at losing weight and they kept it off longer then those who routinely skip breakfast..

Once again, the scientific information on the subject has been provided, I've even provided a link to the largest source of published research on this subject, No one is trying to force you or anyone else into doing anything you don't want to do.
    Just like smoking and drinking once you're informed of the risks It's up to you to decide what to do with this knowledge and information. But telling someone that there is no scientific basis for eating breakfasts is not only irresponsible, again as best I can tell it contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject.

My goal here was not to force anyone to do something they didn't want to do or to insult anyone anymore then they may have insulted someone else as I don't believe in double standards and hypocrisy. I merely intended to proved a scientific answer from a credible and authoritative source as a means of challenging those who were presenting their own personal subjective opinions as fact. Judging from the responses it unfortunately appears as though I may have bruised a few egos in the process and for that I apologize.

Again, I ask: please provide links to the studies you have quoted.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Oh good grief, you're comparing preference to breakfast with smoking? Please tell me anything good about smoking besides being a shareholder in the tobacco industry?

It's the Land of Woo in here today....

No kidding!
  • SLLRunner
    edited July 2015
    Options

July 28, 2013:
    May 24, 2012:
    July 15, 2013:
    June 17, 2013:

Now, you're coming across as condescending. Why won't you post your links to the studies you have referenced two or three times?
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LOL The comments are comical. Listen. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't. Chances are if you don't eat breakfast currently, you're not going to start because a bunch of people copied and pasted a bunch of articles in the comment section. I find that eating breakfast or having a protein shake in the morning helps me get off my butt. I feel energized and it enables me to get more done. That to me is the important reason behind eating breakfast. If you're energy levels are fine and you're getting enough nutrition from your other meals, then rock out.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    LOL The comments are comical. Listen. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't. Chances are if you don't eat breakfast currently, you're not going to start because a bunch of people copied and pasted a bunch of articles in the comment section. I find that eating breakfast or having a protein shake in the morning helps me get off my butt. I feel energized and it enables me to get more done. That to me is the important reason behind eating breakfast. If you're energy levels are fine and you're getting enough nutrition from your other meals, then rock out.

I just had oatmeal with banana and nectarine and a cup of homemade mocha. I'm happy. So happy. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

Eggs are bad for you. Eggs are good for you. Eggs are once again bad for you. And finally again they are good.

Fat is horrible for you. You should eat a low fat diet. Later it comes out that fat is not bad for you.

I believe carbs might be bad for you at the moment. Or it might be foods with a high glycemic

People who run the studies may have a bias (paid for by a company wanting specific results). They may also be expecting certain results so they only look at the data that supports those results. Having a paper published does not necessarily make you a credible source.

Love the cartoon!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I already posted the link to one...
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why do people find it so hard to accept that what works for them doesn't work for someone else?

This!
    And...I've studied biochemistry, I read a thousand journals & books...but, it all doesn't matter! I don't know about you, but I aimed to achieve a healthy relationship with food, i.e. not eating out of boredom or as a comfort. I couldn't care less about my so called 'macros' or some overpriced supplements!
    You're hungry - you eat. You're not hungry - you don't eat. Simple.
    Timing food intake or even developing strategies sounds disturbing and not healthy at all. Life change bit by bit not torture & obsession.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wasn't always a fan of breakfast but ever since I started my new job I am but I also believe that each person is different. Do what feels good to you!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, it's a matter of personal preference , me? I can't skip my breakfast. If i do, i tend to over eat and feel so much hunger.
  • Hornsby
    Options

lol - that picture is so on point for this discussion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

lol - that picture is so on point for this discussion.
    My favorite is the pirates population increasing as global temperature increases.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I read an interesting article on MFP about this subject. In summary it said that as long as you stay within the daily allowed calories for you weight loss there is no difference in when you eat those calories. They did find that, in general, people who eat more of their calories in the morning feel better and are often not as hungry or likely to snack throughout the day. I do know, as a diabetic, it is important to maintain fairly level blood glucose levels throughout the day and that breakfast is important for that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how fiber revs your metabolism.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I personally can't skip breakfast. The days I have I am crazy hungry and I then over eat for lunch.
    But my dad is better skipping breakfast.
    Do what works for you.