Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I agree with you - you most certainly CANNOT lose weight, no matter what you do, no matter what other people THINK you should be doing unless your thyroid meds AND your adrenal treatments are OPTIMIZED. (Sorry for shouting...)

Most doctors just think they can throw a pill or two at us and everyone will live happily ever after.

These treatments are an Art. You need to test your free T4 and free T3 repeatedly over a period of at least a year before your titration yields the most effective dosage. Just because results seem to fall in a "normal range" does not mean that your levels are right for you.

Check some of the websites such as "Stop the Thyroid Madness" and you will find an entire community ready to support you.

Sending you a Healing Hug.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If im doing anything im eating too low of calories.

No, you're not.

Your logging is completely broken - you are eating way more than you think.

If her hypothyroidism is not under control, this is not necessarily true.

This ^^ My sister suffers from this and has a very difficult time with weight control. Work with your doctor to find a plan to manage it. There are foods that can mess your thyroid, learn what they are and avoid them. Work with a nutritionist trained in this area, if possible.

It can be done, but you will have more of a struggle than others. It sucks, but don't give up!
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Im not giving up.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Do we really think that if 100 people were locked in a room and only given water for a month that most of them would waste away and lose weight except the one person with x health condition?

Do we really think that when prison camps are stormed by armies they find a bunch of skeletal people and one obese person with x health condition?

I don't deny that metabolic disorders exist or there are reasons that some of us lose weight slower than others, but lets get real folks. There is not a person walking this earth that cannot lose weight with the right approach.

Has anyone watched BBC's "Secret Eaters"? All those people say the same things. They are the ones with the special condition. They are the only person on the planet who cannot lose weight. What does it turn out to be every time? They are eating more than they think they are and they are eating unsatisfying foods.

Also, it is worth remembering that if you really are the special snowflake with a slow metabolism, then your slow metabolism needs and demands less fuel, like a small engine, compared to a bigger engine. You should be less hungry and need less calories than your mates, if that was the case.

I was whining on a thread just a little while ago about how hungry I always was. A few people pointed out that I don't eat enough veggies and protein and you know what? They were right. I have increased my veggie intake and eat the right kind of protein more often and my hunger has backed off considerably.

It is harsh to hear these things OP, but you HAVE to start by taking accountability.

I really think some people posting here do not understand some of the basics.

Yes, someone with UNTREATED hypothyroidism will lose weight if they eat little enough, as asserted above. However, if it's severe, they will have to eat below the bottom threshold allowed by MFP. Do you really want them to basically starve themselves to lose weight?

Yes, someone with MANAGED hypothyroidism CAN lose weight. I am always the first to say that! I lost mine. However, the OP's hypothyroidism is NOT under control right now. Don't compare yourself losing on synthroid or Armour to her being able to lose with neither.

With someone with an untreated health condition, the best recommendation is always to see your doctor!

Edited to add that as I already mentioned probably on page 1, that this is a good time for the OP to learn about weight loss by getting a scale and starting to track her calories and learn to log accurately and at least try to maintain.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Jeneba wrote: »
    I agree with you - you most certainly CANNOT lose weight, no matter what you do, no matter what other people THINK you should be doing unless your thyroid meds AND your adrenal treatments are OPTIMIZED. (Sorry for shouting...)

Most doctors just think they can throw a pill or two at us and everyone will live happily ever after.

These treatments are an Art. You need to test your free T4 and free T3 repeatedly over a period of at least a year before your titration yields the most effective dosage. Just because results seem to fall in a "normal range" does not mean that your levels are right for you.

Check some of the websites such as "Stop the Thyroid Madness" and you will find an entire community ready to support you.

You most definitely CAN lose weight regardless of the medical condition.
    Do we really think that if 100 people were locked in a room and only given water for a month that most of them would waste away and lose weight except the one person with x health condition?

Do we really think that when prison camps are stormed by armies they find a bunch of skeletal people and one obese person with x health condition?

I don't deny that metabolic disorders exist or there are reasons that some of us lose weight slower than others, but lets get real folks. There is not a person walking this earth that cannot lose weight with the right approach.

Has anyone watched BBC's "Secret Eaters"? All those people say the same things. They are the ones with the special condition. They are the only person on the planet who cannot lose weight. What does it turn out to be every time? They are eating more than they think they are and they are eating unsatisfying foods.

Also, it is worth remembering that if you really are the special snowflake with a slow metabolism, then your slow metabolism needs and demands less fuel, like a small engine, compared to a bigger engine. You should be less hungry and need less calories than your mates, if that was the case.

I was whining on a thread just a little while ago about how hungry I always was. A few people pointed out that I don't eat enough veggies and protein and you know what? They were right. I have increased my veggie intake and eat the right kind of protein more often and my hunger has backed off considerably.

It is harsh to hear these things OP, but you HAVE to start by taking accountability.

Yes, someone with UNTREATED hypothyroidism will lose weight if they eat little enough, as asserted above. However, if it's severe, they will have to eat below the bottom threshold allowed by MFP. Do you really want them to basically starve themselves to lose weight?

Yes, someone with MANAGED hypothyroidism CAN lose weight. I am always the first to say that! I lost mine. However, the OP's hypothyroidism is NOT under control right now. Don't compare yourself losing on synthroid or Armour to her being able to lose with neither.

With someone with an untreated health condition, the best recommendation is always to see your doctor!

Edited to add that as I already mentioned probably on page 1, that this is a good time for the OP to learn about weight loss by getting a scale and starting to track her calories and learn to log accurately and at least try to maintain.

It might be below the lower threshold of MFP, but it would still only be 500 calories under whatever her body needs to do the things it does (which isn't a lot hence why the TDEE is so low to begin with).
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice and motivation. I go on the 20th for a ultrasound of my thyroid. Then ill have a follow up to find out what they want to do about it. I am going to have to buy a scale on payday and start weighing my food. I know the scale should be going down instead of staying up. One day ill be at 180. The next ill be back to where I started. It so discouraging. My Face is so puffy. My hairs falling out. My nails break. I am so tired all the time but yet I cant sleep. Im anxious, depressed. My joints and muscles hurt all the time. I have high blood pressure. I am just so over this 50lbs that needs lost.

I hear ya on how & what you are feeling. I know weight can be a big deterrant however at this point what you really want to focus on is getting the hypothyroidism in control. Once you & your doctor figure things out & you, hopefully, get put on a prescription to level out your hormones things will definitely get better with your overall health. I went through all of this about 3-4 years ago & I'm now slowly starting to try to lose weight again. I've always been overweight & I've forever been trying to lose weight. I find that how I lose it now, with hypothyroidism, in comparison to back when my thyroid worked properly is really not all that different. It's my mindset, level of activity, age, and habits that are more of the negative factor if anything. If I put my mind to it & work like I did at it in the past, I seem to lose just fine. Sure there are times where it seems a little harder but as long as I keep taking the meds regularly and stick to healthy eating & activity it does still allow me to lose weight. I've just recently restarted & have lost close to 30 pounds & that's without really trying all that hard because I wanted to ease into things. I'll be amping up more now that I know I'm feeling good & healthy enough again to do this!

Trust me, get the hormone level in control & start feeling healthier first & then focus on losing weight. You may even find that as you work on the getting healthier part you will lose some weight if you just eat healthier as you go. It's a process but until your body gets back to that healthy state it'll only get harder so let the healing begin:-)
  • blankiefinder
    Options

It might be below the lower threshold of MFP, but it would still only be 500 calories under whatever her body needs to do the things it does (which isn't a lot hence why the TDEE is so low to begin with).

Would you want to live on 900 calories? How would she manage her hunger? I wouldn't want to live on that. Why not treat the hypothyroidism and do this properly?
  • stevencloser
    edited July 2015
    Options

Would you want to live on 900 calories? How would she manage her hunger? I wouldn't want to live on that. Why not treat the hypothyroidism and do this properly?

I wouldn't want to, but she wouldn't be starving herself any more than anyone else on a 500 kcal deficit if she did.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's not harsh. Anyone with any idea of what it's really like would never say these ridiculous things. So, anyone who actually understands it (even a little) just sees it as bad advice from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Very bad advice is always given in hypothyroid threads. People who don't know anything at all about it feel compelled to give ridiculous advice. It's very common.

Take more iodine.

Starve yourself.

Don't eat carbs.

If people actually followed some of the advice given here, they could end up dead.

While you may see yourself as the Deliverer of Truth, you're really just spouting off with no idea what you're talking about. Information like that is not viewed as harsh, but as ignorance on display.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I wouldn't want to, but she wouldn't be starving herself any more than anyone else on a 500 kcal deficit if she did.

She might suffer from malnutrition though. Do you have any medical training to give advice on how to treat this medical condition, or are you just giving advice on how to lose fat with no regard to health?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

You're under the assumption that she is tracking perfectly, weighing everything, using multiple metrics to measure her progress, and doing that consistently for months. I'm guessing OP is not doing those things and can clear this whole problem up by doing so. Unless her thyroid was removed, her BMR is not going to decrease so much that she needs to eat 900 calories to lose any weight.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options

People with hypothyroid issues don't require fewer vitamins and minerals. They still need that.

They also need more energy, because that's part of the problem - sluggishness. It's harder for them to go about their lives because their bodies don't work correctly. They need more energy but have a much harder time burning off fat.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Im practically starving myself now. I had 4 egg whites with a piece of cheese for breakfast.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

You're under the assumption that she is tracking perfectly, weighing everything, using multiple metrics to measure her progress, and doing that consistently for months. I'm guessing OP is not doing those things and can clear this whole problem up by doing so. Unless her thyroid was removed, her BMR is not going to decrease so much that she needs to eat 900 calories to lose any weight.

What I am assuming is that she should see her doctor and get her hypothyroidism treated. That should be the primary recommendation, not to just keep cutting calories.

I have said multiple times that she needs to weigh her food.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    centaura57 wrote: »
    Cut out pop entirely- Check
    Eat 1200-1700 calories a day- Check
    Get exercise as much as I can- Check
    Eat more protein- Check
    Move as much as I can- Check

I am 50lbs overweight. I have dieted once before only losing 15lbs. This time ive lost 5lbs and cant get away from only the 5lbs lost. I cannot lose weight and idk why. Im getting very discouraged. No matter how hard I try the scale wont go below 180. I have been told I have hypothyroidism by one Dr but wanted a 2nds opinion. I have tried everything with no luck. Its pretty much impossible. Im crying as I write this because im always going to be fat.

I'm diabetic and hypothyroid for 25+ years. I had to stop taking thyroid meds and stop insulin as well. Yes, you can lose weight. Learn more about the keto diet or the low carb, high fat (LCHF) and also intermittent fasting (IF). I started with LCHF, transitioned to IF and then to keto (mostly keto for my diabetes) and I've lost 18 pounds in the past 2 months. There most definitely is a light at the end of the tunnel! Oh, and I don't feel like I'm starving, EVER.

You did not cure hypothyroidism by eating keto.

Please.
  • Chomper76
    Chomper76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Chomper76 wrote: »
    Idk how that could be possible. Im starving.

I am a 6' 225lb male. I lift weights and do 30-60 min cardio, both 6× a week. I have been eating between 1300-1500 calories a day and I am not hungry at all. You are seriously lacking in low calorie veggies like broccoli. Those will help fill you up, are nutritious and won't hurt the waist line. Also, you may be low on water intake which mimics hunger. I drink 1.5 gallons of water on my rest day and add to that on the 6 days I exercise.

Why are you eating less than the recommended nutritional minimum for men

You are seriously lacking in calories there and risking long term issues ...how are you fuelling your body to exercise? How are you hitting your protein and fats macros...144g protein and 78g fat as minimum targets to hit in defecit would be your 1300 calories to start with

Wow @chomper76. You will be decimating your LBM eating so few ...strongly advise you fix that

Nah, I have enough fat reserves, I have been able to lose fat and gain muscle. People overlook that a body is able to pull about 20 calories a day per pound of fat. I have probably 55 pounds to lose at 225lbs, so I have plenty of reserves.

If I reach a point where I stall with weights, I will reevaluate, but for now they are going up. I hit a personal best 1RM at 275lbs on bench press this week. When I started my 1RM wasn't half that lol.
  • stevencloser
    Options

She might suffer from malnutrition though. Do you have any medical training to give advice on how to treat this medical condition, or are you just giving advice on how to lose fat with no regard to health?
    Even at 900 calories or whatever the deficit would be you can get in plenty of veggies for your nutrition needs.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

Even at 900 calories or whatever the deficit would be you can get in plenty of veggies for your nutrition needs.

When people starve themselves to lose weight, they typically give up and end up regaining all of their weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited July 2015
    Options

That sounds like a "No, I have no training or knowledge on this medical condition"
  • lauraleigh1122
    lauraleigh1122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand what your going through. I had a thyroid problem when I was in high school and during my sophomore year they had to completely remove my thyroid due to it possibly be cancerous. Luckily for me it was not cancerous but I had a Gorider and other complacations with it. I can still remember being frustrated because I had gained 20lbs in a 3 month time period and I was on a diet and a tough work out program. I remember feeling helpless because I knew there was no way I could be gaining that weight with eating so little and working out. I did some research and with that kind of thyroid problem your metabolism works against you. I encourage you to know that you will be fine and that it's not your fault. You need to go the doctor and if that is what you have then they will direct you from there and help you get your thyroid regulated. Once they got mine regulated (which took a few months) I stared feeling mentally and physically better. However, I still had to work harder then most people to lose weight. Don't worry though because the point is that losing weight with a thyroid problem can be done! I encourage you to walk a lot and look into eating more protein that way you're full longer and if you have a sweet tooth like me then eat fruit like berries which help your metabolism as well as food that has good fiber. Your going to be okay and I personally encourage you to not give up. I personally understand the frustration that goes with have a thyroid problem but just know that you're not alone and this can be fixed. Good luck and stay strong!