For the guys...women can answer to :-)

Options
12346»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. He is 6'3" and over 300 pounds, is eating 1600 calories a day enough? It is possible that his body may be going into starvation mode and storing every calorie.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/

Also, do you take measurements weekly or monthly in addition or are you relying completely on the scale?

I think coach calorie needs to go back to nutrition school...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode eh. I guess Karen Carpenter got really fat before she died? No such thing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do some research.

riddle me this ..if starvation mode is real they why aren't all the starving people in Africa fat???
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You should move beyond quick searches.

that's a good line that I will steal...thanks.
  • lpadancer
    lpadancer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all--a first post, but I've lurked for several months now.

Some have written along the same vein...Why is he not logging himself? Not to say you can't lose weight sans tracking, but making a personal commitment to log on a site such as MFP (and browse the forums, learn the lingo, develop a radar for bullsh**, etc.) indicates a strong desire to see whatever goals through and opens the logger to engagement with personal data, informed food choices, and accountability.

And fine, fine--maybe he doesn't want to track his food (sounds like that is what is happening now). That could be because he is not interested in putting forth the effort to lose the weight. Or maybe he is interested, but not to the point that it overcomes a desire for lots and lots of food. I think you need to be okay with this. It seems like he is being verbally and at home accountable to you, but not personally accountable.

I would go ahead and stop logging for him. At this point the logging is only for your data purposes--you've said that he chooses what he'd like to eat and that's that. He might miss the data you were able to provide and start logging for himself, including whatever food you don't know about (should that exist). He can engage with it as he wishes and use the data to ask his own pointed questions.

You don't even need to see his log should he start one. Because he may be eating more than you know during the day, I'd actually recommend against it for a few months unless he asks you to check it out. If he ends up logging and jumps into the MFP world like you have, think of how great it will be to navigate the finer points of weight loss/health/athleticism together.

It's also difficult for anyone to glean much when we cannot see a log. Of which one doesn't exist. Because you can't know everything he eats during the day. And that's okay :)

If it is in fact water weight--awesome. But he should still log himself if he wants a food log in his weight loss toolbox.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do some research.

You might not want to put what you research in practice. You will spin your wheels and waste time that could be used getting to your goal.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Damn. Went to work. And I was SO impressed this thread went so long without "starvation mode" rearing its ugly head.

I hear ya!