Options

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale... <snip>

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

You don't get to decide what other people like, what they find easier, what their lifelong habits should be, what's more satisfying or even what deprivation is. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

pretty sure NO one here is deciding anything for anyone.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am planning on weighing my food, counting calories, and logging for the rest of my life. I have already had half of a life not being able to eyeball or keep track of my intake in my head. I want the last years to be easier. I enjoy collecting data.

Yes! gotta :heart: that data
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

Yes and thank you! Totally agree!!

Some people just wont listen no matter how many times they hear it.
    Sure, people have lost weight without a scale, but having a scale makes it SOOO much easier. Plus, people made it for a long time without smart phones, but does that mean we don't use them to make our lives easier now that we have that technology?
    Less snacking? No desserts? More activity? Sure, I do those things even with a scale, but I can allow myself a few snacks, a cupcake, and skipping a run because I know EXACTLY what I'm putting in my body and I don't have to make up for those calories that could be off.

Love this whole thread - its got religion and passion! Katey - you make the best argument I've seen. I bought a digital scale (Ozeri model ZK13-8 and highly recommend it too) several months ago because I wanted to be well-armed for this battle and saw all the advice throughout the forum. I have to admit I typically only use it for calorie dense items (I.e. I weigh the steak, but not the spinach). I still use measuring cups a lot, but I've been cooking long enough and received training, that I think I can do it pretty well. BTW - the acid test is whether you can make a good loaf of bread using measuring cups. Bread is more of a formula vs. recipe; it requires precise measurements to get the right rise and texture.

I've lost 47 lbs doing it this way and will admit I've had stalls - but they are easily explained by eating like a ravenous warthog and drinking like a fish!
  • fishshark
    Options
    cdcllcga01 wrote: »
    kateyb94 wrote: »

Yes and thank you! Totally agree!!

Some people just wont listen no matter how many times they hear it.
    Sure, people have lost weight without a scale, but having a scale makes it SOOO much easier. Plus, people made it for a long time without smart phones, but does that mean we don't use them to make our lives easier now that we have that technology?
    Less snacking? No desserts? More activity? Sure, I do those things even with a scale, but I can allow myself a few snacks, a cupcake, and skipping a run because I know EXACTLY what I'm putting in my body and I don't have to make up for those calories that could be off.

Love this whole thread - its got religion and passion! Katey - you make the best argument I've seen. I bought a digital scale (Ozeri model ZK13-8 and highly recommend it too) several months ago because I wanted to be well-armed for this battle and saw all the advice throughout the forum. I have to admit I typically only use it for calorie dense items (I.e. I weigh the steak, but not the spinach). I still use measuring cups a lot, but I've been cooking long enough and received training, that I think I can do it pretty well. BTW - the acid test is whether you can make a good loaf of bread using measuring cups. Bread is more of a formula vs. recipe; it requires precise measurements to get the right rise and texture.

I've lost 47 lbs doing it this way and will admit I've had stalls - but they are easily explained by eating like a ravenous warthog and drinking like a fish!

i went to culinary school, have been a chef for 10 years, and am now in a graduate program for nutrition. Not matter what I will ALWAYS over weigh/measure rice, pasta, butter... probably because I love those foods so much haha! I love weighing because it feels like I am learning something.. learning the weighs, calories, macros to food. YAY LEARNING!
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Non food weighing and food weighing people can get along. :wink: I am losing weight without a scale and am eyeballing my servings. If the time comes I am not then perhaps I will look at getting a scale. But until then I think it's important that we remember people can do different things and still get results. But just because they are different does not mean they are wrong.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    60+ pound weight loss - maintained for over three years. I weigh almost EVERYTHING I eat on my food scale. I also eat whatever I like to eat and don't have any taboo/restricted foods.

I love my kitchen scale. :smiley:
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My previous post got chopped and not sure why . . .

Katey - you are making me rethink what I'm doing - so thanks for your post.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Of course people can lose weight without weighing their food. People have done it for thousands of years, are doing it right now and will do it in the future. Nobody needs to weigh food to lose weight.

I liked using the scale. I learned a lot. Now, it's time for me to learn to eat like most of the world does, without a scale. It's harder than I thought it would be! Even as I thought about portions and stuff...I thought I was prepared to get off and found out I'm not. It's taking a lot of work to quit the scale. A lot of work.

But I am not going to weigh every dang sesame seed for life, so I need to learn how to eat.

For people who think they will enjoy logging for life, that is wonderful and I applaud them. It's just not for me.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Of course people can lose weight without weighing their food. People have done it for thousands of years, are doing it right now and will do it in the future. Nobody needs to weigh food to lose weight.

I liked using the scale. I learned a lot. Now, it's time for me to learn to eat like most of the world does, without a scale. It's harder than I thought it would be! Even as I thought about portions and stuff...I thought I was prepared to get off and found out I'm not. It's taking a lot of work to quit the scale. A lot of work.

But I am not going to weigh every dang sesame seed for life, so I need to learn how to eat.

For people who think they will enjoy logging for life, that is wonderful and I applaud them. It's just not for me.

i agree once i feel comfortable i will not use it all the time :) like weightless graduation
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

You don't get to decide what other people like, what they find easier, what their lifelong habits should be, what's more satisfying or even what deprivation is. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

I agree with all of these things. I'm not sure why it's an argument.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

i agree once i feel comfortable i will not use it all the time :) like weightless graduation

it's pretty tough to know how many calories you are eating without weighing. 'eyeballing doesn't really work, long-term, for most people. Maintenance is harder than losing, and weighing is still important in maintenance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

LOL, Yes!

But it's so much harder to quit than I thought it would be. I didn't realize how often I check my calories or how I keep a running total in my head until I began going a full day without checking calories.

Luckily, I undereat instead of over, but I really need to learn to eat all over again. It's crazy.

The scale is a nice crutch, but it's hard to quit. For me, anyway. :)
  • DuckReconMajor
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think some people have an "always scale or no scale" view of things, which I don't agree with.

I'm out and about or at work a lot of the time so I can't weigh a lot (if not most) of what I eat. But when I'm at home I weigh everything. It gives me a more accurate read on (at least some of) what I eat during the day, which I want, and helps me learn how portion sizes and such should be for when I'm out and can't weigh everything. I will probably weigh food I prepare/eat at home for the foreseeable future.

Edit: also, I don't think many have said "you can't lose weight without weighing food". This is just something we tell people who come to the forums asking for advice when they aren't seeing the results they want.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I spent the last couple of years losing 70 pounds, put some of it back on last fall/winter when I ran into a perfect storm of divorce, illness, financial collapse and the long slow death of my beloved dog to diabetes. I crawled under the covers so to speak and ate pizza and brownies for months. It was atypical for me; I don't ever want to eat another brownie either.

I never weighed anything when I began to lose weight the first time. I bought a scale once and couldn't figure out how to change the battery when it died so I never replaced it. When I started losing again last month, I didn't bother with a scale at first. After reading threads here, I bought one a few days ago.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I consistently underestimated the weight of the food I eat. Looking at the scale now, I don't believe it and I'm still going to cut the portions to be sure. I could make one chicken breast last almost a week, so I think I'm going to continue to eat that way just in case I'm weighing it wrong.

It's interesting to see the variety of methods that work for different people.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for only a week now and have lost 4 pounds. It does really work, especially when you're tracking your macros! It is a fool-proof method of ensuring that you're in a deficit. Eyeballing it does NOT work.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I had one of my overweight friends over and she saw how I weighed everything before I ate it and she told me, "Uh I would rather be fat."

snort!
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    starling01 wrote: »
    I spent the last couple of years losing 70 pounds, put some of it back on last fall/winter when I ran into a perfect storm of divorce, illness, financial collapse and the long slow death of my beloved dog to diabetes. I crawled under the covers so to speak and ate pizza and brownies for months. It was atypical for me; I don't ever want to eat another brownie either.

I never weighed anything when I began to lose weight the first time. I bought a scale once and couldn't figure out how to change the battery when it died so I never replaced it. When I started losing again last month, I didn't bother with a scale at first. After reading threads here, I bought one a few days ago.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I consistently underestimated the weight of the food I eat. Looking at the scale now, I don't believe it and I'm still going to cut the portions to be sure. I could make one chicken breast last almost a week, so I think I'm going to continue to eat that way just in case I'm weighing it wrong.

It's interesting to see the variety of methods that work for different people.

If you can, buy/borrow/use another scale and see if the reading matches to give yourself more confidence in what the scale says. If this method leads to losing weight at a healthy, sustainable rate then by all means go for it. Underfeeding yourself is going to be very hard to maintain long term and can be dangerous to your health. I did things in a similar way, underestimating the calories and going for really low calorie goals but this lead to me feeling like crap and binging.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Then you and people with this mentality are NOT who the OP is speaking of...he is speaking of the 'OMG I SWEAR I'm eating nothing at all ever, but I'm gaining weight' people.

Of course you can get by without and lose weight...but if you are, you are probably not posting on MFP how you aren't losing weight...and so this post isn't for (general) you :)
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »

Then you and people with this mentality are NOT who the OP is speaking of...he is speaking of the 'OMG I SWEAR I'm eating nothing at all ever, but I'm gaining weight' people.

Of course you can get by without and lose weight...but if you are, you are probably not posting on MFP how you aren't losing weight...and so this post isn't for (general) you :)

This exactly. If you don't weigh a single thing ever and you get the results you want we are happy for you! But if you don't and you don't then having a go at weighing your food is a logical first step.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ignisira wrote: »
    You're right! It kind of sucks to weigh everything when you're cooking a more complicated recipe, though.

Yes!!! I don't mind the scale until I cook a complicated meal for a boatload of people on Sundays. I usually give up and guesstimate then.