Study: Obese men have just a '1 in 210' chance of attaining a healthy body weight

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    That's odd, since it's easier for men to lose, technically. Maybe they care less?

I don't care if it it's 1 in 1 billion women who lose their weight. I don't care about the rest of them; I'm losing mine.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Meh. I quit smoking my first attempt. This is cake compared to nicotine.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Attain or maintain a healthy weight?

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm with ihad on this one, and I never realised that he referenced my blog post in his one up there ^.

A brief glance at that article tells me that my "odds" of success were 1 in 700 or something? I was class 3 obese... good thing I don't believe everything I read, I might never have started...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I wonder if we counted how many people here succeeded what someone else's odds would be. It'd have be like 1 in 10 quadrillion, lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ihad wrote: »

Woot ihad and xX_PhoenixRising_Xx!!! 2 amazing people I'm privileged to have on my list.

Do these stats take into account the vast number of people who never try?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    That's odd, since it's easier for men to lose, technically. Maybe they care less?

I don't care if it it's 1 in 1 billion women who lose their weight. I don't care about the rest of them; I'm losing mine.

It's easier for men to lose? Since when?
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Those odds really aren't that bad...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Odds of being bitten by a shark, roughly 1 in 11.5 million.
    Yet people think it will happen to them enough to be afraid of going in the ocean.
    Thinking I'll be the 1 in 210 doesn't seem so outlandish now, does it?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    2014_BE_THE_ONE_logo_no_UW_logo_black_background.jpg
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Meh. I quit smoking my first attempt. This is cake compared to nicotine.

Amen to that!!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Reading the article, it looks like the study is only looking at the data from British health records. There's no indication that many of the people included in the study dataset even had been on a deliberate weight loss plan. The statistic is possibly skewed more heavily towards failure if they aren't evaluating for individual plans or commitment levels (self initiated vs. doctor recommended).

Unfortunately a lot of people will take that one piece of information to justify their own defeatist mindset and give themselves permission to fail
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it I terms of "odds" or "chances." It's not the lottery where you buy a ticket and hope it's the winning one. When you make the right choices, the weight comes off, every time. When you keep making the right choices, it stays off.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Reading the article, it looks like the study is only looking at the data from British health records. There's no indication that many of the people included in the study dataset even had been on a deliberate weight loss plan. The statistic is possibly skewed more heavily towards failure if they aren't evaluating for individual plans or commitment levels (self initiated vs. doctor recommended).

Unfortunately a lot of people will take that one piece of information to justify their own defeatist mindset and give themselves permission to fail
    Yeah, given what the explanation of the data sounds like, and what the NWCR speaker said in a presentation, it could just be more women know they need to lose weight, and actually try diets.
    The article makes it sounds like the data is just a collection of people's BMI records and seeing if any of the records that hit obese ever went back into normal, and excludes gastric bypass patients.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    <---- I succeeded. So, 209 of you might as well give up and leave. :p

But but but ... Fine. I'll leave then, no point