Study: Obese men have just a '1 in 210' chance of attaining a healthy body weight

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    <---- I succeeded. So, 209 of you might as well give up and leave. :p

But but but ... Fine. I'll leave then, no point
    PSST, just cheat and get back in the line.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Reading the article, it looks like the study is only looking at the data from British health records. There's no indication that many of the people included in the study dataset even had been on a deliberate weight loss plan. The statistic is possibly skewed more heavily towards failure if they aren't evaluating for individual plans or commitment levels (self initiated vs. doctor recommended).

Unfortunately a lot of people will take that one piece of information to justify their own defeatist mindset and give themselves permission to fail

Yeah, the article seems a bit sensationalizing (shocking, I know). Nowhere does it mention that anyone was trying to lose weight?
    Each year obese men have a one in 12 chance of achieving five per cent weight loss, rising to one in 10 among women. But 53 per cent of people who had achieved this regained the weight within a year, and after five years, only 22 per cent had maintained their weight loss.

This part is more telling. Of those that DID lose weight, 22% maintained it for 5+ years. That's a lot better than the <.5% chance they are quoting.

Furthermore, they talk about losing 5% of weight? For a 200lb person that's only 10lbs. My weight can fluctuate more than that inside of a week. Again, no mention of whether these people were even trying to lose that weight. It could have just been slight shifts year to year. I'd like to see the stats for people who consciously were trying to lose weight and lost a more reasonable amount (say 10-20% or higher). I'm guessing it's a whole lot higher than 1 in 210.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Meh. I quit smoking my first attempt. This is cake compared to nicotine.

Ditto to this!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Do these stats take into account the vast number of people who never try?

Exactly. No, they don't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Meaningful-or-Just-True-Statistics.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    9d6d74fe031877118447580950ed0257.jpg
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Evil, evil, bunny...did I see you in a Monty Python movie?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Psa: while at work don't search google images for "the average adult has one testicle" in an attempt to find that image, to share later.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I also dislike statistics. My solution is to create new data.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I make my own luck. -65 pounds down. I'm going to maintain, too.
    sucks for the 123 women who give up or think they're done when the weight comes off, I guess.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    [insert Shia LaBeouf video here]
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Urgh so many issues with this article.
    It doesn't say whether people were trying to lose weight and whether they were trying to do so for the full period of time concerned.
    It measures success as going from an obese BMI to a "normal" BMI within a year - is normal healthy? or an average? Because the two aren't the same! And many people who are obese have too much weight to lose in a year, or at least have enough to lose to reach a healthy BMI that they won't consider it not a success to take more than a year to do so! If someone got to "overweight" BMI in a year, and "normal" the year after, their success wouldn't even register because they're going from overweight not obese for the purposes of this study, right?!

I'm pretty sure that people who stick to sensible diets lose weight and those who give up or aren't dieting (or changing their lifestyle, w/e) "properly" don't. So assuming that the 210 men were trying to lose weight, all this tells me is that 209 of them either had too much to lose in that period of time or weren't doing it properly/didn't stick to it. Moral of the story? Stick to what works and don't give up!
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Anyone can come up with statistics. 40% of all people know that. :p
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sho0gy_D wrote: »
    Anyone can come up with statistics. 40% of all people know that. :p

And anyway, 76% of them are made up on the spot.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Then 209 of y'all are SoL, because I did it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Meh. I quit smoking my first attempt. This is cake compared to nicotine.

Yup! :)