Lower belly pooch

Options
12345679»

Replies

• losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The Pilates 5 will strengthen your core muscles and specifically your transverse abdominis which most people forget to activate. Requires learning to fire your transverse abdominis first instead of your rectus abdominis. Harder than it sounds and takes practice! Added benefit is that this muscle wraps around your spine and strengthening it can help alleviate lower back pain. Google 'transverse abdominis images' and check out the anatomy. These 5 moves hit inner/outer obliques as well.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Pilates-Ab-Workout-Series-Five-33997021#photo-33997021

That being said, you need to know how to properly do what's called "Ab Prep" so that you are using proper positioning throughout the 5's. Here's a rather long Youtube on how to do it but worth watching if you are serious about this. You can of course also seek out a knowledgeable Pilates studio or DVD (I like Stott).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JvBPygnlng

I've been teaching Pilates among other things for a decade and it's the one thing that I added that made my chronic lower back pain all but disappear. I've got a rock solid core which makes planks and push ups so much easier!

Hope this answers your question!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I would seriously consult a dr or physical therapist and go from there. if you are having all those issues only a medical professional can tell you what is best and worst. good luck

Reading more about your back problems, I'm on this train. Be careful with you!
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Here's a somewhat related question: I get pinched nerves in my hip (which just feels weird and numb) and tailbone (which makes it feel like it's vibrating and I always think my phones going off). Do you think that could be related to my back issues? Should I see someone about it (keep in mind I can't go to the doctor until next year because insurance sucks)?

Have you called your insurance company and said "I think I'm out of office visits - does that mean I have no coverage for a potential pinched nerve?"

I work in a retirement community so I might ask one of the nurses for advice and go from there.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The Pilates 5 will strengthen your core muscles and specifically your transverse abdominis which most people forget to activate. Requires learning to fire your transverse abdominis first instead of your rectus abdominis. Harder than it sounds and takes practice! Added benefit is that this muscle wraps around your spine and strengthening it can help alleviate lower back pain. Google 'transverse abdominis images' and check out the anatomy. These 5 moves hit inner/outer obliques as well.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Pilates-Ab-Workout-Series-Five-33997021#photo-33997021

That being said, you need to know how to properly do what's called "Ab Prep" so that you are using proper positioning throughout the 5's. Here's a rather long Youtube on how to do it but worth watching if you are serious about this. You can of course also seek out a knowledgeable Pilates studio or DVD (I like Stott).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JvBPygnlng

I've been teaching Pilates among other things for a decade and it's the one thing that I added that made my chronic lower back pain all but disappear. I've got a rock solid core which makes planks and push ups so much easier!

Hope this answers your question!

I guess you missed the whole crunches discussion we just had.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Here's a somewhat related question: I get pinched nerves in my hip (which just feels weird and numb) and tailbone (which makes it feel like it's vibrating and I always think my phones going off). Do you think that could be related to my back issues? Should I see someone about it (keep in mind I can't go to the doctor until next year because insurance sucks)?

Self myofascial release (foam rolling) can potentially help that. The piriformis roll will get deep in the hip pocket.

i won't recommend following this without medical advice..can be a case of sciatica who knows? you will be subjecting her to more unnecessary pain and discomfort

Piriformis rolling is one of the ways relieve sciatica. It would be uncomfortable performing it, but it would help it. As other said she should seek advice from a doctor before doing anything due to the new information she has been giving.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Have you called your insurance company and said "I think I'm out of office visits - does that mean I have no coverage for a potential pinched nerve?"

I work in a retirement community so I might ask one of the nurses for advice and go from there.

I think you may be misunderstanding your insurance limitations and to clear that up, you would have to speak to your insurance company.

For example, while they very well may have a cap on routine office visits, this is not a routine issue.

And while you may have had the max physical therapy visits for Issue A, if your doctor has not yet diagnosed Issue B, that should still be covered. Also, Diagnosis A may be a minor issue with X physical therapy visits allowed, but Diagnosis B may be a major issue with X + Y physical therapy visits allowed.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    OP, sorry for the crap you're getting.

As people age or have babies, their pelvic floor and abdominal muscles often lose strength. You can have NO FAT AT ALL and still have your belly distended at the bottom. This happens due to general weakness or diastasis recti. Also, you may pee when you sneeze or cough or laugh. You often have back pain, too, in the lower back, or sciatica if your hips are slipping (sacroiliac joint--THIS SUUUUUCKS).

A bit about the pelvic floor:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_floor

Primer on pelvic floor disorders:
    http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/pelvic/faq/pelvic-floor-disorders.html

It also make certain kinds of female orgasms less likely, can cause prolapse of organs, and can even cause vaginal atrophy, in extreme cases.

A bit about diastasis recti:
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/abdominal-separation-diastasis-recti

IF YOU HAVE true diastatsis recti, you need to avoid ALL movements that strain the rectus abdominis until it's repaired. What a lot of people do is try to strengthen the rectus muscles by doing more sit ups/crunches/etc. Those are the wrong muscles. You want to strengthen your TRANSVERSE abs.

If you merely have a weak transverse abdominis, you can continue to work the abdominis recti, but realize that it won't fix the pooch.

If you do Pilates CORRECTLY (and avoid the rectus exercises if you need to), it's the hardest workout I've found for continually challenging your transverse abs. During Pilates, you're supposed to be drawing your belly button toward your spine the whole time.

You can also do stomach vacuums. Research diastasis recti fitness programs specifically if you need more guidance--there are several commercial programs out there.

A weak pelvic girdle (including the floor muscles but also muscles in the hips and so-called "core") can cause sacroilial instability, also, by increasing the movement of the joint when shear pressures are applied unevenly. I am CRAZY about Pilates for this!!!! Specifically search "pilates for IS instability," and you'll see a lot of results with specific routines. No more sciatica!!!!!!!

About IS instability:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint_dysfunction

Complex compound lifts CAN help a lot with the strength of the whole pelvic girdle (if you can work your rectus). like squats (with weight) and deadlifts. They also help strengthen a lot of the other pelvic floor muscles if you do them right. However, a lot of people do then wrong and actually put STRESS on their pelvic floor, particularly. This can increase pelvic floor problems. During ANY lift, do not in any circumstances allow your stomach to bulge out, and don't feel like you might fart. Those are signs that you're not using your transverse abs or aren't using your pelvic floor muscles in sync with your other muscles (you're pushing down on the pelvic floor but not back against it--hence a feeling like you might fart).

I used to be fairly slim after kiddo number two. I had a 26" waist. But when I lay sideways, my guts sort of sloshed to the side, too. My rectus muscles were separated, and my transverse wasn't strong enough to provide the support it's supposed to. Working my transverse abdominis means that I'm a LOT fatter right now, but everything stays in place! Also, it's strong enough that I can finally lift weights again--before I was educated about how to reverse diastasis recti, I thought I would NEVER be able to lift again (because most movements increase separation).

Best of luck and TONS of love and support!

ummm... I'm turning 21 next month... no where near old, never had kids, only been sexually active for barely a year... so... I'm gonna say that's not my issue. Thanks, though!

If you've got a weak core, it IS still your problem. If you have hypermobility, it can cause the pelvic girdle pain. Being very weak and sedentary can, too. If you're 21 and have back pain, something is really, really wrong, wouldn't you say?

Since you've seen a PT, if he told you your problem is your "core muscles" that most likely means you have sacroilial joint diysfunction. It's also very common among dancers and anyone who's hypermobile:

http://danceproject.ca/the-si-joint-whisperer-tells-all/#.VacWQflVhBc

Having sex doesn't weaken the pelvic floor muscles. Having sex WELL strengthens them. Ahem. ;)
    Wait, weren't you saying you've had pelvic floor issues? Huhm...
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.

Way to Move That Goalpost!
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It sounds like you have a similar issue that I have from 4 pregnancies all within 6 years...
    OP, sorry for the crap you're getting.

As people age or have babies, their pelvic floor and abdominal muscles often lose strength. You can have NO FAT AT ALL and still have your belly distended at the bottom. This happens due to general weakness or diastasis recti. Also, you may pee when you sneeze or cough or laugh. You often have back pain, too, in the lower back, or sciatica if your hips are slipping (sacroiliac joint--THIS SUUUUUCKS).

A bit about the pelvic floor:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_floor

Primer on pelvic floor disorders:
    http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/pelvic/faq/pelvic-floor-disorders.html

It also make certain kinds of female orgasms less likely, can cause prolapse of organs, and can even cause vaginal atrophy, in extreme cases.

A bit about diastasis recti:
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/abdominal-separation-diastasis-recti

IF YOU HAVE true diastatsis recti, you need to avoid ALL movements that strain the rectus abdominis until it's repaired. What a lot of people do is try to strengthen the rectus muscles by doing more sit ups/crunches/etc. Those are the wrong muscles. You want to strengthen your TRANSVERSE abs.

If you merely have a weak transverse abdominis, you can continue to work the abdominis recti, but realize that it won't fix the pooch.

If you do Pilates CORRECTLY (and avoid the rectus exercises if you need to), it's the hardest workout I've found for continually challenging your transverse abs. During Pilates, you're supposed to be drawing your belly button toward your spine the whole time.

You can also do stomach vacuums. Research diastasis recti fitness programs specifically if you need more guidance--there are several commercial programs out there.

A weak pelvic girdle (including the floor muscles but also muscles in the hips and so-called "core") can cause sacroilial instability, also, by increasing the movement of the joint when shear pressures are applied unevenly. I am CRAZY about Pilates for this!!!! Specifically search "pilates for IS instability," and you'll see a lot of results with specific routines. No more sciatica!!!!!!!

About IS instability:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint_dysfunction

Complex compound lifts CAN help a lot with the strength of the whole pelvic girdle (if you can work your rectus). like squats (with weight) and deadlifts. They also help strengthen a lot of the other pelvic floor muscles if you do them right. However, a lot of people do then wrong and actually put STRESS on their pelvic floor, particularly. This can increase pelvic floor problems. During ANY lift, do not in any circumstances allow your stomach to bulge out, and don't feel like you might fart. Those are signs that you're not using your transverse abs or aren't using your pelvic floor muscles in sync with your other muscles (you're pushing down on the pelvic floor but not back against it--hence a feeling like you might fart).

I used to be fairly slim after kiddo number two. I had a 26" waist. But when I lay sideways, my guts sort of sloshed to the side, too. My rectus muscles were separated, and my transverse wasn't strong enough to provide the support it's supposed to. Working my transverse abdominis means that I'm a LOT fatter right now, but everything stays in place! Also, it's strong enough that I can finally lift weights again--before I was educated about how to reverse diastasis recti, I thought I would NEVER be able to lift again (because most movements increase separation).

Edited because OP doesn't have this problem. I could talk about my experience if she had :)