Sugar from fruits

Options
thitemple
thitemple Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a 45g/day limit on sugar. I eat most of my sugar from fruits and/or non fat greek yogurt.
Almost everyday I pass the sugar limit, eating 3 fruits a day and one yogurt.

Is that really bad? Aren't sugars from fruits a good thing?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not a bad thing. When experts talk about limiting sugar, they're talking about added sugars. Fruits have vitamins, minerals and fiber. They bring sugar along for the ride.

If you must stay at 21, stay there.

Eat your fruit and don't worry about it. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where'd that 21 g come from? MFP gives me 77. If it came from your doctor, discuss with him/her.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit, be healthy, cut down on junk food, and stay within your caloric range.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah MFP has me at a lot higher sugar. Fruit has fiber (typically) and other vitamins and is processed by the body differently than say High Frutose Corn Syrup. The body metabolizes these different sugars differently. Of course anything in abundance is bad. Fiber delays the delivery of Frutose to the liver. This is why I stopped drinking juice. The juice alone doesn't have the fiber. I think processed foods with sugar like Cola are far worse for you, simply keep eating fruit - just in moderation.
  • thitemple
    Options
  • thitemple
    Options
    cbrook29 wrote: »
    Yeah MFP has me at a lot higher sugar. Fruit has fiber (typically) and other vitamins and is processed by the body differently than say High Frutose Corn Syrup. The body metabolizes these different sugars differently. Of course anything in abundance is bad. Fiber delays the delivery of Frutose to the liver. This is why I stopped drinking juice. The juice alone doesn't have the fiber. I think processed foods with sugar like Cola are far worse for you, simply keep eating fruit - just in moderation.

According to this post, all sugars are processed the same
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
  • thitemple
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Where'd that 21 g come from? MFP gives me 77. If it came from your doctor, discuss with him/her.

You're right the limit is not 21, it's 45... but I pass it everyday...

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    vintem wrote: »
    cbrook29 wrote: »

According to this post, all sugars are processed the same
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
    I didn't read it, but a lot of people think that all sugars are digested in exactly the same way. They say it all the time. They don't understand the digestive system at all. Of course different sugars are digested differently. Because they're different, lol.
    They have different components and will, of course, be broken down differently.

Digestion really doesn't make a ton of difference. The effect on your weight isn't about how it's digested. It's about how much sugar you take in. It's about the calories.

When you're losing weight, you want all the nutrition you can get for as few calories as you can. Keeps you healthy, let's you stay full. So, it makes some sense to take your sugar from fruit, which gives you nutrients you need.

If you don't want to eat any sugar, that's your choice and I won't argue it. Everyone has to do what works for them.

But you can eat your fruit if you want to. For an otherwise healthy person, fruit won't hurt.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Not sure why your limit is so much smaller than mine, but letting it go.

I pass the limit on fat almost everyday, but since my goal is to lose a pound per week, and I am losing a pound per week, I don't worry about it. Fat makes me feel full.

I pay attention to how foods make me feel - I don't feel well after eating bread made from flour, so I eat it extremely rarely. I feel great after eating fruits, so eat them a lot. I feel awful after eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's, so only buy 4 ounce containers.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

I pass the limit on fat almost everyday, but since my goal is to lose a pound per week, and I am losing a pound per week, I don't worry about it. Fat makes me feel full.

I pay attention to how foods make me feel - I don't feel well after eating bread made from flour, so I eat it extremely rarely. I feel great after eating fruits, so eat them a lot. I feel awful after eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's, so only buy 4 ounce containers.

Four ounces is a lot of ice cream.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

No, actually, it's not. 4 ounces is about 112 grams. Most of the ice creams that I buy have a serving size set as 100 grams. Depending on the calories in the ice cream, I usually can fit at least 100 - 150 grams into my day.

Maybe it's a lot to you, but it doesn't really make sense to judge how much ice cream someone eats when you don't know the context of their overall diet.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat nonfat plain yogurt and stir one of my fruits into it. That way I don't get added sugar in my yogurt.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Didn't realize I was judging, sorry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's 15% of calories.

It's 45 grams for people on 1200.

As for why a young guy like OP seems to be is on 1200, beats me.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1618549841215020/

Some fruits have higher sugar content than others. This chart is just one example that shows the differences high to low. If you are worried about it, try choosing fruits on the lower end. If you are still within your calorie goals then I don't think you should worry about it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Eh, it's a bit more than the usual serving size.

I'd feel crappy eating a whole pint of ice cream too, so I tend to eat only a serving or a bit more sometimes. (I have multiple pints in my refrigerator, though.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's 15% of calories.

It's 45 grams for people on 1200.

As for why a young guy like OP seems to be is on 1200, beats me.

Thanks!

• kshama2001
    Options
    Didn't realize I was judging, sorry.

I didn't feel judged.

16 ounces was my previous serving size of ice cream, so in that context, 4 ounces is not a lot. Also, I'm a lot bigger than you so get a lot more calories than you do. On ice cream days, I've usually been swimming and gardening as well.

This discussion has been closed.