Fed up of dieting...want to start enjoying

Options
58 years old and cant remember a time i wasn't thinking about/worrying about what i ate. Basically feast or famine!!! Enough now...watch this space!

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I never (surprisingly) thought of calorie counting as dieting. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. It is daunting however to realize in order the maintain the body I want I have to do this for the rest of my life. That freaks me out a little but I manage to push it to the back of my head. :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and can also not remember a time when I wasn't thinking about what I ate, though I don't think I've ever really "worried" about it. But, I'm okay with thinking about it. I think that, and periodic dieting, is the only thing that's kept me from becoming obese because I do so love to eat, drink and be merry.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you aren't enjoying your food then you are definitely dieting and not making lifestyle changes. I don't have foods that I want to eat that are off limits, I just eat them in moderation and exercise. I greatly enjoy the food I eat, maybe even more because I don't eat unlimited amounts of it so what I do is quality and well prepared. No one is making diet though so if you would be happier eating everything you want even with the consequences, go for it.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you want but you still have to watch calories if you are trying to maintain or lose. I don't torture myself by not eating stuff I like. Moderation/portion control is key, they say. Not to say you won't go over every now and then, it won't be the end of the world.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cherries for dinner, and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I'm very full and satisfied and it was all delicious!

And I'm still under 1000 calories.

It's about portion control, not dieting. Don't worry about avoiding foods because they're "bad for you." Sure, some things don't lead to a healthy lifestyle, but having sugary or fatty foods in moderate amounts isn't going to kill you.

We're all going to die someday, so don't make yourself miserable. But, at the same time, I'm so much happier when I'm healthy.

Eating well is hard, being overweight is hard... chose your hard.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting and make a lifestyle change.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cherries for dinner, and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I'm very full and satisfied and it was all delicious!

It's about portion control, not dieting. Don't worry about avoiding foods because they're "bad for you." Sure, some things don't lead to a healthy lifestyle, but having sugary or fatty foods in moderate amounts isn't going to kill you.

We're all going to die someday, so don't make yourself miserable. But, at the same time, I'm so much happier when I'm healthy.

That's fine for you, but not enough volume of food for most people. You are way over simplifying.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Stop dieting and make a lifestyle change.

This this this.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I never (surprisingly) thought of calorie counting as dieting. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. It is daunting however to realize in order the maintain the body I want I have to do this for the rest of my life. That freaks me out a little but I manage to push it to the back of my head. :D

Same here! I see calorie counting and exercise as a lifestyle and I acually love it. Im ocd so planning ahead of time is so much fun to me. I guess losing weight and becoming fit comes naturally to some people.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a few isolated instances, I don't really feel like I'm dieting right now either. It's just tracking - that's the key thing. It gets a bit meticulous, but at the same time, it's easy - and I get to enjoy just about everything as long as I can fit it in at the right time.

And it's kind of funny because my roommate keeps trying these super-restrictive diets that he ends up falling off of. I keep suggesting that he just start counting, but he refuses. I'm beginning to think he wants to make this harder than it has to be.

I'm not judging him. I used to be in the same mindframe. "If it's too easy, I'm not doing it right." But then, like OP, I got sick of dieting.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Practical and to the point. I love it.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

That's fine for you, but not enough volume of food for most people. You are way over simplifying.

Except that it really is that simple.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Logging what I ate was something I always wanted to do but knew I'd never have the discipline to do so, so I never tried. Then I tried MFP logging and found how easy it was and it was like getting that pony i'd always wanted
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I don't want to derail this thread, but you're eating more than 1000 calories a day, right?

I like what you're saying and I agree with that one exception.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options

This.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Except that it really is that simple.

Only it's not, not for everyone. Simple in theory, maybe, but not in practice. Every person is different. Emotional eating, hormonal changes, complex biochemistry in everyone that is different...eating "in moderation" and changing your mindset and behaviors can be FAR from simple for many people.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Not trying to nit pick but this doesn't look exactly accurate--an average 4oz serving of meatloaf is close to 300 calories, so 600 and crepes are around 150 each, so 300, and a generic serving of mashed potatoes is 200. You are already at 1100. Then your fruit and sugar so probably eating more than you think.

I think the OP's point is that she cant eat as freely as she wants--a single piece of coffee cake throws a 1200 calorie day way off. It is hard to stay under 1200 without sticking to foods that give you a lot of bang for your buck on the volume to calorie ratio.

• hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch
    Sounds yummy! I might make some crepes for breakfast tomorrow.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

... The meatloaf and mashed potatoes alone is quite a bit of food. Go look at my diary if you wish. You don't have to sacrifice quality is my point. You can eat food you enjoy and still maintain a healthy lifestyle.