Eat everything in Moderation as dietary advice?

Options

Replies

• thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only things I generally avoid now are high calorie, low satisfaction side items. What those are may differ from person to person. For me that means chips and fries for the most part and sodas. If I don't get the potato/corn based sides, I can pretty much eat any main course items I normally like. If you are trying to eliminate 500 calories a day from your food intake, saying no to the french fries and soda is easily 200-400 and 120-260 of that respectively depending on the sizes. Those are about the only things that I actively say no to myself for.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    This is what I am trying to figure out. Over the long term does moderation work for 1 out of 10 or 4/10 or 9/10? Does this information exist?
    The numbers are awful - truly awful - for all approaches.
    This.

If a person goes back to eating the way they ate when they were overweight, they will eventually regain the weight they lost plus some.

No matter how the weight was lost, maintenance requires continued vigilance.

IMO, moderation has a better shot at working long-term because people don't feel as deprived when they can work in their favorite foods. However, that still requires that calories consumed averages out to equal (or be a little lower than) calories expended.

If more calories are consumed than are burned, weight will be gained no matter what eating plan is used.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No, it's not a scientific thing. Some people include junk food because if they didn't, they would binge eat it. Others consider it necessary for their mental health. Others just don't want to stop eating yummy foods that they like. All of it is valid.

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating funnel cakes and Oreos, but it's also possible to lose weight without them.

It's just a personal choice.

When did thermodynamics cease being a scientific thing?

Not in this thread.

The discussion is around how best to get and maintain a deficit - not whether a deficit is necessary or whether it will lead to weight loss.

It is about if eating in moderation works to create the needed deficit.

I guess that I am lost. I thought the OP wanted to know about "eating in moderation" was applicable to those with health issues along with is there any science behind "eating in moderation". I would assume comparing it to eating a strict controlled diet.

OP here. To clarify, I'm interested in moderations overall success as a strategy, but also was concerned that it was being advised to people with concerns about specific foods/macronutrients who might not have been fully explaining why they were concerned about specific foods or macronutrients.

• umayster
    Options
    czymom123 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, EIM to me is a crock. At the very least, it is not for everyone. Having lost 80 pounds, I realize there are certain things I NEED to stay away from. How do I know this? Because I ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! How? Simply put, some things overweight people eat are never going to be in moderation. I love candy. Particularly Reese's cups and Mike and Ikes. I have an issue eating those and just chilling till my next healthy meal. It triggers me. I know it's a trigger. This is why I choose not to eat them. Additionally, is there a lot of nutritional value in that candy? No, there is not. So why even go there? This is simply MY opinion. I do not believe everyone is like me. But if you are like me, you may want to consider that there are foods you should avoid.

IMO..."eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat every food that is out there known to mankind. If there is a food that you struggle with...then don't eat it. There are several foods that I used to eat that I no longer do because I just can't seem to moderate them. I did however replace them other foods that I could.

My definition of "eating in moderation" is not eliminating any food group. Also "eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat them every day/week/month. I like ice cream bars...I only eat them a couple of times a month. Love pizza...I stick to 2 slices twice a month. Reduced fat Cheezits...I have to leave on the shelf...I eat the whole box. Just because I leave them on the shelf doesn't mean that I can't center my diet around "eating in moderation".

Thanks, this seems like a more practical version of EIM.
  • seska422
    Options
    No, it's not a scientific thing. Some people include junk food because if they didn't, they would binge eat it. Others consider it necessary for their mental health. Others just don't want to stop eating yummy foods that they like. All of it is valid.

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating funnel cakes and Oreos, but it's also possible to lose weight without them.

It's just a personal choice.

When did thermodynamics cease being a scientific thing?

Not in this thread.

The discussion is around how best to get and maintain a deficit - not whether a deficit is necessary or whether it will lead to weight loss.

It is about if eating in moderation works to create the needed deficit.

I guess that I am lost. I thought the OP wanted to know about "eating in moderation" was applicable to those with health issues along with is there any science behind "eating in moderation". I would assume comparing it to eating a strict controlled diet.

OP here. To clarify, I'm interested in moderations overall success as a strategy, but also was concerned that it was being advised to people with concerns about specific foods/macronutrients who might not have been fully explaining why they were concerned about specific foods or macronutrients.
    This is an internet forum for discussion between strangers, not a certified doctor's office. It is not required to include fine print for every possible situation. Everyone who reads needs to adapt posts to their own needs. If specific concerns need to be addressed, the poster needs to include those concerns in their question.

If every contingency were included in every post, they would all be pages long.
  • umayster
    Options
    I'm fairly new here, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all the eat everything in modération advice that is despensed regardless of dietary issues.

Are there some studies available to read that give the eat everything/moderation plan some credibility?

Have there been any studies or articles posted on the credibility of eating everything in moderation?
    If you have not posted verified studies and simply your own opinion or experience, then why would you be so invested someone else's opinion or experience?

I'm trying to find the basis of all the EIM advice. I would like to know what happens to many others (I.e. a study) when EIM is used or not used as a diet or nutritional strategy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new here, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all the eat everything in modération advice that is despensed regardless of dietary issues.

Are there some studies available to read that give the eat everything/moderation plan some credibility?

Here you go OP:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11883916

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10336790

Have there been any studies or articles posted on the credibility of eating everything in moderation?
    If you have not posted verified studies and simply your own opinion or experience, then why would you be so invested someone else's opinion or experience?

I'm trying to find the basis of all the EIM advice. I would like to know what happens to many others (I.e. a study) when EIM is used or not used as a diet or nutritional strategy.

I am reposting Alyssa's post in case you missed it. These two articles might help.
  • umayster
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Why don't you try it and see if it work for you and if it does, does it really matter if it works for anybody else?

I'm actually working on the opposite of EIM for the first time in my life and want to make sure I'm not missing something important!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I'm trying to find the basis of all the EIM advice.

That's like trying to find the basis of all the Jesus talk.

Seriously.

People believe what they want to believe, and then rationalize it with whatever evidence they can find or make. It's how we're built.

Just figure out what works for you, and don't worry about the rest.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it and see if it work for you and if it does, does it really matter if it works for anybody else?

I'm actually working on the opposite of EIM for the first time in my life and want to make sure I'm not missing something important!

What is the opposite of EIM? EEYS (Eat Everything You See)?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Here you go OP:

I am reposting Alyssa's post in case you missed it. These two articles might help.

lol I especially liked this bit:

"The second strongest canonical correlation (r=0.59) associated calorie counting and conscious dieting with overeating while alone and increased body mass."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This has already been addressed multiple times - in MFP-land, the opposite of EIM is to eliminate trigger foods, or avoid entire categories of food altogether as the way to get to a deficit.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

This has already been addressed multiple times - in MFP-land, the opposite of EIM is to eliminate trigger foods, or avoid entire categories of food altogether as the way to get to a deficit.

Hmmm, I guess I missed it. That doesn't exactly seem like an opposite to me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Just do what works for you. There is no One True Path to weight loss. If it works for you, that's what you do. And if the whole rest of the world screams that it's wrong, then let them scream. Just keep losing your weight.

They can't lose your weight. Only you can lose your weight.
  • seska422
    Options

Here you go OP:

lol I especially liked this bit:

"The second strongest canonical correlation (r=0.59) associated calorie counting and conscious dieting with overeating while alone and increased body mass."
    Right above that was this:

"The strongest canonical correlation (r=0.65) was the relationship between flexible dieting and the absence of overeating, lower body mass and lower levels of depression and anxiety."

I found it a little odd that they separated out calorie counting from "flexible dieting" like you can't do both at the same time. :| I'm basically doing flexible dieting within calorie counting.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Just do what works for you. There is no One True Path to weight loss. If it works for you, that's what you do. And if the whole rest of the world screams that it's wrong, then let them scream. Just keep losing your weight.

Yes there is: CI/CO = weight loss/maintaining/weight gain (medical issues might make it little harder, but it's still CI/CO) ;)
  • doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eating in moderation is the only diet strategy that works. It doesn't matter what diet plan you follow, the only way to lose weight is to moderate the amount of food you eat so that you are eating less than you burn on a daily basis.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, EIM to me is a crock. At the very least, it is not for everyone. Having lost 80 pounds, I realize there are certain things I NEED to stay away from. How do I know this? Because I ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! How? Simply put, some things overweight people eat are never going to be in moderation. I love candy. Particularly Reese's cups and Mike and Ikes. I have an issue eating those and just chilling till my next healthy meal. It triggers me. I know it's a trigger. This is why I choose not to eat them. Additionally, is there a lot of nutritional value in that candy? No, there is not. So why even go there? This is simply MY opinion. I do not believe everyone is like me. But if you are like me, you may want to considerh that there are foods you should avoid.

IMO..."eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat every food that is out there known to mankind. If there is a food that you struggle with...then don't eat it. There are several foods that I used to eat that I no longer do because I just can't seem to moderate them. I did however replace them other foods that I could.

My definition of "eating in moderation" is not eliminating any food group. Also "eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat them every day/week/month. I like ice cream bars...I only eat them a couple of times a month. Love pizza...I stick to 2 slices twice a month. Reduced fat Cheezits...I have to leave on the shelf...I eat the whole box. Just because I leave them on the shelf doesn't mean that I can't center my diet around "eating in moderation".

and This ^.

The dietary point is up to the op to disclose. diabetic, hp, allergies, etc
    Many advise with disclaimer... "except if you have a medical condition"..

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Yes there is: CI/CO = weight loss/maintaining/weight gain (medical issues might make it little harder, but it's still CI/CO) ;)
    Let me get this straight. You are claiming that "CI/CO = weight loss/maintaining/weight gain" is the One True Path to weight loss?

Wouldn't want to misquote.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Let me get this straight. You are claiming that "CI/CO = weight loss/maintaining/weight gain" is the One True Path to weight loss?

Wouldn't want to misquote.

How else would you lose weight?
This discussion has been closed.