Deficit, Heavy lifting and Gaining Weight? Why?

Options
I lost 27lbs (from 205lbs to 178lbs) before having a Mommy Makeover sx.

For the 27lb loss ( which took 2.5 months), I was eating 1500 calories per day (per MFP) and doing Ice Cream 5x5 (weight lifting program) @ 3 times per week with a 20 min cardio thrown in 1x per week.

Started back again on MFP 2.5 weeks ago at 177.4lbs (I'm 5' 8") after a 6 month break. But had stated my strength training again 3 times per week for 2 weeks before starting to track food again.

This time, I'm supposed to eat 1640 calories per day (according to MFP) to lose 1.5lbs per week. But I mostly eat between 1200 and 1550 calories because I get very full and my body feels strong and good.

I weigh all food on my food scale and am meticulous about that ( Thanks to the OP of the thread, "I went from Morbidly Obese to Six Pack - ask me anything" ).

2.5 weeks ago, I increased my Ice Cream 5x5 to 5 days per week and 1 day with my fitness trainer weights with more cardio built in for about 30 mins. So I workout 6 days per week with a 5 to 10 min cardio before strength.

I love my strength triaining :smiley:

However, instead of seeing a decrease in weight, I've gone from 177.4lbs to 181.2lbs this morning.

I'm firming up, cellulite is reducing and no increase in dress size.

But why am I gaining instead of losing weight?

If anyone knows what's happening, I'd greatly appreciate your answers and suggestions.

I'm up in all my compound exercises:

Squats: 60lbs
Deadlifts: 80lbs
Bent Over Rows: 54lbs
Shrugs: 80lbs

Thank you hugely :smiley:

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Water retention.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about the scale if you're seeing improvements in other ways? I'd take firming up and cellulite reduction over a number on the scale any day!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are retaining water.

I thought ICF was a full body program. You're not resting between days?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You are retaining water.

Sounds like a made up 5x5 program now.
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Sounds like a made up 5x5 program now

I'm doing the Jason Blaha Ice Cream 5x5. I just didn't want to write the whole A and B program on here - just gave an idea of where I am with a few of the lifts.

I used to do it 3x per week but now I feel my body needs more and loves it so I do it 5 days per week (6 days if my trainer misses her day with me).

I'll see how long ! can go with 5/6 days per week.

Thank you so much.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When my husband started strength training, he plateaued for two weeks. Before he got super mad, his weight dropped by 5 lbs in 3 days. Your body is holding on water to repair your muscle, so don't worry about it too much.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Water retention.

This. Especially when increasing intensity and losing rest days, your cortisol levels will increase, which increases water retention.

Pay attention to your ability to recover, and if you start having problems, maybe add back in another rest day. And get lots of sleep.
  • jemhh
    Options
    So you're squatting, pressing, etc 5 days a week. You're way overdoing it.Do the program correctly. You're not doing yourself any favors with this setup.

And what's a Mommy Makeover?
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    Water retention

Thank you.

I'm certainly drinking way more water than before cos my body just craves it.

I hope that since it's only been 2.5 weeks that my body will eventually acclimate.

Why worry so much about the scale if you're seeing improvements in other ways? I'd take firming up and cellulite reduction over a number on the scale any day!

Yes, I know right :smiley: I love the firming and less cellulite but I really do want to see the scale move in the weight department cos I'm eating at a deficit.

• Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It may be because you are gaining muscle which is heavier than fat but it will also burn more calories in which case your weight will start dropping again.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Sorchya wrote: »
    It may be because you are gaining muscle which is heavier than fat but it will also burn more calories in which case your weight will start dropping again.
    No, it isn't this.

• jemhh
    Options
    Sorchya wrote: »

There is no way on earth that a woman who is eating 1200-1550 calories per day and lifting 5-6 days a week is putting on muscle (which is more dense than fat, not heavier than fat.)

OP, why don't you do anything according to directions? Your calorie goal, your exercise program, etc. Do you think that maybe if you follow the directions, your results would improve?
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    When my husband started strength training, he plateaued for two weeks. Before he got super mad, his weight dropped by 5 lbs in 3 days. Your body is holding on water to repair your muscle, so don't worry about it too much.

Thank you for this. So very good to know. I look forward to a drop in weight on the scale :smiley:

Pay attention to your ability to recover, and if you start having problems, maybe add back in another rest day. And get lots of sleep.

I find myself tuning more into my body now. I can feel more clearly its need for more food or water or rest and I easily give in since I know it's working hard for me. Thank you for the reminder.

So you're squatting, pressing, etc 5 days a week. You're way overdoing it.Do the program correctly. You're not doing yourself any favors with this setup.

And what's a Mommy Makeover?

Yes, I am and I looovvveee it :smiley: Thank you for your concern. If my body tells me it needs a break, I'll take it. So far so VERY good.

A mommy makeover is a surgery some moms get post several kiddos to get tummy, boobies and some other parts back to some semblance of normalcy :wink:

• jemhh
    Options
    Why have the surgery before losing the weight?

Everything about this post seems backwards.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm male, 254 pounds, and I've been on a calorie deficit since February. I'm down a total of about 33 pounds, about 20 since February. I'm going to start at the gym tonight doing resistance training with the circuit machines. As long as I continue to maintain a deficit, this will not result in weight gain, correct? If I'm understanding you guys correctly you cannot gain weight on a deficit even if you are doing resistance training?
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    OP, why don't you do anything according to directions? Your calorie goal, your exercise program, etc. Do you think that maybe if you follow the directions, your results would improve?

Awwwww thank you. You really do care about me. You're awesome!!!!! What if I do this as I am right now for another 2 weeks since most replies feel it's just water retention and see what happens. Then I adjust accordingly if needed.

Sometimes, my body just wants to push the boundaries and i like to give it what it wants :smiley:
  • jemhh
    Options
    OK, I'm male, 254 pounds, and I've been on a calorie deficit since February. I'm down a total of about 33 pounds, about 20 since February. I'm going to start at the gym tonight doing resistance training with the circuit machines. As long as I continue to maintain a deficit, this will not result in weight gain, correct? If I'm understanding you guys correctly you cannot gain weight on a deficit even if you are doing resistance training?

You may gain a bit of weight due to water retention but you will not gain fat. Your muscles will retain some water to help repair them but as long as you keep losing fat, the scale will continue downward. It may remain steady for a week or two or you might never notice the water retention on the scale. I'm not sure if men notice it any less than women or not or if it's totally individual.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

If you actually stick to the deficit you should be fine. The scale might jump, but you're not going to be putting on fat as long as you're truely in a deficit.

I've basically given up on the scale entirely. I started a new program about 4 months ago now. I'm fluctuating the same 4-5lbs since then and have not really lost any weight. Granted, I'm sticking to a pretty small deficit, and I haven't been the strictest logger lately (aka, it's my own fault I'm not losing more consistently). But that said, my clothes are looser.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Add another in the "OP asks for advice, gets it, discards it" column.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, I would advise against doing the program 5 days/week, your body requires recovery, even if you think you are recovering, on that low number of cals there is no way the muscle will be repairing between workouts. the rest and recovery are just as important as the diet and work itself.