Deficit, Heavy lifting and Gaining Weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    There is an actual ED where people "compensate" for eating bad by spending hours in the gym. There is a natural "high" from working out, and sometimes it's a fine line between pushing yourself and becoming obsessive. Keep an eye on how you feel about the gym; if you do start feeling obsessed about going or missing a session, try and look objectively to see if you are worried too much. That said, I get frustrated when I can't get to the gym too; the disorder is when it goes too far and starts disrupting your life and your emotional state.

And I applaud you for listening to the advice in this thread and not getting defensive. It's rather refreshing for the forums.

Thank you! I shall keep a close eye on this.

OP, please use the quote button next to the reply button instead of copy paste then bolding it.
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you want to reply to a statement....can we use the quote function. Makes the thread a whole lot easier to follow.

After some maneuvering, I have discovered the quote function, I think. Thank you for being the catalyst and help me out if I got it wrong.
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    There is an actual ED where people "compensate" for eating bad by spending hours in the gym. There is a natural "high" from working out, and sometimes it's a fine line between pushing yourself and becoming obsessive. Keep an eye on how you feel about the gym; if you do start feeling obsessed about going or missing a session, try and look objectively to see if you are worried too much. That said, I get frustrated when I can't get to the gym too; the disorder is when it goes too far and starts disrupting your life and your emotional state.

And I applaud you for listening to the advice in this thread and not getting defensive. It's rather refreshing for the forums.

Thank you! I shall keep a close eye on this.

OP, please use the quote button next to the reply button instead of copy paste then bolding it.

I'm working on it. Not sure if i got it. Oh yay, it's working. Thanks.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I have been following this thread and I commend you.
    You have handled all the commits nicely and are truly learning from the experience posters.
    Some may seem harsh but they are Mostly trying to help you.
    Good Luck to YOU.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why have the surgery before losing the weight?

Everything about this post seems backwards.

Well that plus made up program. Not surprising.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my only suggestion is why would you changed a structured program like ice cream fitness that is tried and proven into your own version? I would highly recommend following the program as structured. If you want to do light cardio on one of your rest days that is OK, but you really need one, one hundred percent rest day.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

It was because I'd already scheduled and paid for the surgery that I ended up finding out about MFP at a check up and I had 2.5 months before sx which I used to lose 27lbs going from 205lbs to 178lbs.

Now that I'm fully recovered and back, i' hope it's okay to choose to lose some more and strengthen.

• ngaliyin
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »
    OP,
    I have been following this thread and I commend you.
    You have handled all the commits nicely and are truly learning from the experience posters.
    Some may seem harsh but they are Mostly trying to help you.
    Good Luck to YOU.

Thank you VERY much. I appreciate you and wish you many blessings :smiley:
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my only suggestion is why would you changed a structured program like ice cream fitness that is tried and proven into your own version? I would highly recommend following the program as structured. If you want to do light cardio on one of your rest days that is OK, but you really need one, one hundred percent rest day.

The reason I decided to do 5 or 6 days instead of 3 was because my body just felt like it could use more. I have been feeling quite good actually except for the water retention getting my scale weight up.

Anyway, by asking the question about the scale weight, I've been told here that I should follow the program as recommended with 3 days on and the rest days in between to get my muscles to recover.

As a result, I have taken today off since I did ICF 5x5 yesterday. I shall do the ICF 5x5 3 days per week and do 1 day of whatever my fitness trainer chooses for us to do. So instead of 6 days working out, I'll scale back to 4 days.

I hope this is in sync with what the experienced lifters recommend.

Thank you!!!!!!!

• ngaliyin
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Please I already answered this question and Rushfive posted my reply to it for you to see. Hope you got it. Thank you.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

The reason I decided to do 5 or 6 days instead of 3 was because my body just felt like it could use more. I have been feeling quite good actually except for the water retention getting my scale weight up.

Anyway, by asking the question about the scale weight, I've been told here that I should follow the program as recommended with 3 days on and the rest days in between to get my muscles to recover.

As a result, I have taken today off since I did ICF 5x5 yesterday. I shall do the ICF 5x5 3 days per week and do 1 day of whatever my fitness trainer chooses for us to do. So instead of 6 days working out, I'll scale back to 4 days.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Every program I read says to follow the program unless you have experience weight training which it does not sound like you do OP.

• ngaliyin
    Options

Please I already answered this question and Rushfive posted my reply to it for you to see. Hope you got it. Thank you.

In addition, I didn't make up the program. Jason Blaha came up with it. The only thing I changed was to work out with the program 5 or 6 days a week instead of the 3 days Jason recommends.

But with all the advice about giving my muscles time to rest with full days in between I have decided to scale back.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!

sorry if I missed it but how long have you been running ICF 5x5 and how long have you been lifting for?

If you feel that you have outgrown the program you may want to consider a more intermediate program like a four day split....
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!

sorry if I missed it but how long have you been running ICF 5x5 and how long have you been lifting for?

If you feel that you have outgrown the program you may want to consider a more intermediate program like a four day split....

Only about 4 months (counting the 2 months before my surgery) - so not long at all.

I have been doing it 5 or 6 days a week for the past 2.5 weeks only and feeling excellent, but I have received advice here to stop doing it so many days a week and go back to 3x per week.

Because of all the wonderful responses here, I have taken a full rest day today and will follow the program 3x per week.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

In addition, I didn't make up the program. Jason Blaha came up with it. The only thing I changed was to work out with the program 5 or 6 days a week instead of the 3 days Jason recommends.

But with all the advice about giving my muscles time to rest with full days in between I have decided to scale back.

It sounds like you are going to take the rest days now but what yopeeps was getting at is that taking a program and then changing it (and ignoring the rest days in order to do it 6x/week rather than 3x/week is changing it since rest days are an integral part of lifting weights) is making up your own program.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Weight gain may simply be muscle weight as well as water gain for starters. However, since you seem to be doing everything correctly, I suggest you keep track of your body measurements. Lifting weights builds muscle and burns fat. So you are likely losing fat and inches and instead getting stronger and heavier with muscle weight. :smiley: YAY! This is good .. more muscle means increased metabolism and you'll be able to eat more to maintain your weight. You can continue to eat a deficit in the meantime if you're really concerned about the weight, though at this point, being lean and muscular will weigh more than flabby fat. :wink:
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!

Every program I read says to follow the program unless you have experience weight training which it does not sound like you do OP.

I didn't say I have experience, just that my body wanted more. I could've done other workouts on my off days but I enjoyed the ICF 5x5 so much I chose to do it 5 or 6 days instead of 3.

Again, thanks to the wise responses here, I decided to cut back. Thank you :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Again, it is highly unlikely that she is building much muscle while eating 1200-1550 calories and lifting weights 6x/wk.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!

I didn't say I have experience, just that my body wanted more. I could've done other workouts on my off days but I enjoyed the ICF 5x5 so much I chose to do it 5 or 6 days instead of 3.

Again, thanks to the wise responses here, I decided to cut back. Thank you :smiley:

Does the program have accessory workouts you can do?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Katbody10 wrote: »
    Weight gain may simply be muscle weight as well as water gain for starters. However, since you seem to be doing everything correctly, I suggest you keep track of your body measurements. Lifting weights builds muscle and burns fat. So you are likely losing fat and inches and instead getting stronger and heavier with muscle weight. :smiley: YAY! This is good .. more muscle means increased metabolism and you'll be able to eat more to maintain your weight. You can continue to eat a deficit in the meantime if you're really concerned about the weight, though at this point, being lean and muscular will weigh more than flabby fat. :wink:

I think we covered this and why it's not added muscle weight.