Cokes.

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Help with what? If you mean weight loss and you are talking sugar sweetened coki, then yes, it will help as long as you don't replace the coke calories with something else.

But I have become pretty convinced that soda in general, and especially cola, is unhealthy to consume on a regular basis. I have relatives with various medical problems that have been advised to avoid soda. I don't know if it actually causes any medical problems, but it sure does seem to make a variety of thing worse.
    Probably does not cause any medical problems, but I would imagine once you have a medical problem it would probably be worth avoiding...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »
    Drop a coin into coke, watch what happens. Now imagine what this stuff is doing to your teeth/insides. You will never drink coke again. The basis for a lot of fizzy drinks is phosphoric acid, you have acids in your stomach to break down foods, by adding more can cause severe imbalance. Watch on utube what happens when you add a few mints to a bottle of coke. Also in normal coke is packed with sugar, diet coke contains synthetic sweetners that in quantity can cause digestive problems like diarreer. Plain water is best or like me I prefer to add a few drops of lemon or orange squash.

Go to the Grand Canyon. Enjoy the beautiful view of what water does to stone.

Now imagine what water must do to your insides...

Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tRenee1996 wrote: »
    Does it help to cut out ALL cokes & only water?

well, you'd be cutting calories...so yeah...but then again, it wouldn't matter if those calories were replaced elsewhere.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Drop a coin into coke, watch what happens. Now imagine what this stuff is doing to your teeth/insides. You will never drink coke again. The basis for a lot of fizzy drinks is phosphoric acid, you have acids in your stomach to break down foods, by adding more can cause severe imbalance. Watch on utube what happens when you add a few mints to a bottle of coke. Also in normal coke is packed with sugar, diet coke contains synthetic sweetners that in quantity can cause digestive problems like diarreer. Plain water is best or like me I prefer to add a few drops of lemon or orange squash.

No, it doesn't. It's the force of running/falling water that wears away stone. We don't have that inside our bodies.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

No, it doesn't. It's the force of running/falling water that wears away stone. We don't have that inside our bodies.

No, but we do have a highly corrosive acid in our stomachs that basically makes anything corrosive in Coke irrelevant.

The argument that "Coke is corrosive so therefore we mustn't drink it" makes as much sense as the analogy that I used with the water. It is an argument that targets laymen with a scary mental image to convince them to avoid the product. It's not fair to people who are not as knowledgeable in chemistry, and it assumes the audience is uneducated. Which is pretty insulting.

What about lemons/limes/grapefruit/vinegar? Should we not consume those acidic foods either?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No, but we do have a highly corrosive acid in our stomachs that basically makes anything corrosive in Coke irrelevant.

The argument that "Coke is corrosive so therefore we mustn't drink it" makes as much sense as the analogy that I used with the water. It is an argument that targets laymen with a scary mental image to convince them to avoid the product. It's not fair to people who are not as knowledgeable in chemistry, and it assumes the audience is uneducated. Which is pretty insulting.

What about lemons/limes/grapefruit/vinegar? Should we not consume those acidic foods either?

Depends on the person, but in general those things are good to consume.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

That corrosive stomach acid is extremely damaging to other parts of your body as well. It's only useful and benign if it stays where it belongs. It would destroy your teeth with regular exposure.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have a few sips with dinner most nights. I prefer to eat my calories in general, but I also enjoy coke. I've lost plenty of weight doing just that.

So it's really a personal choice. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Depends on the person, but in general those things are good to consume.

Tell that to your teeth.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

That corrosive stomach acid is extremely damaging to other parts of your body as well. It's only useful and benign if it stays where it belongs. It would destroy your teeth with regular exposure.

So do you think that Coke comes out of the stomach and into the intestines completely unscathed and in the same state that it was in when it went into your mouth, therefore wreaking havoc on other parts of your body?

It's no more damaging to your teeth than any other acidic food - with good dental hygiene and a bit of moderation, you will be just fine to consume Coke on occasion within your goals.

I'd switch to diet, though, because I don't like to drink my calories (unless it's beer).
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Personally, I find regular soda to be too sweet to the taste, so I drink diet soda when I have one. which is really, whenever I feel like it. It's not any more harmful than a cup of coffee or tea.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

So do you think that Coke comes out of the stomach and into the intestines completely unscathed and in the same state that it was in when it went into your mouth, therefore wreaking havoc on other parts of your body?

It's no more damaging to your teeth than any other acidic food - with good dental hygiene and a bit of moderation, you will be just fine to consume Coke on occasion within your goals.

I'd switch to diet, though, because I don't like to drink my calories (unless it's beer).

I was just pointing out that comparing stomach acid to Coke is a poor choice, as stomach acid is extremely damaging.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I was just pointing out that comparing stomach acid to Coke is a poor choice, as stomach acid is extremely damaging.

Dude...she was replying to a post about how Coke is extremely damaging. Read more better. Please.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Red herring is red.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Do realize that all of the people telling you to switch to diet sodas, though they have no calories, are not including that they contain aspartame. Aspartame is an artificial flavor that replaces the taste of the soda, and has been shown in studies to create cancer in different parts of the body.

I used to be addicted to Dr. Pepper and Coke, but after my first kidney stone I then realized that it isn't worth it. I wholly recommend that you cut them out entirely and focus on water only.
    Not in any properly controlled, repeatable studies. Aspartame is probably the most studied food additive in existence.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Do realize that all of the people telling you to switch to diet sodas, though they have no calories, are not including that they contain aspartame. Aspartame is an artificial flavor that replaces the taste of the soda, and has been shown in studies to create cancer in different parts of the body.

I used to be addicted to Dr. Pepper and Coke, but after my first kidney stone I then realized that it isn't worth it. I wholly recommend that you cut them out entirely and focus on water only.

You should read this. It's enjoyable and extremely educational: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

No studies have shown that you could possibly drink enough diet soda to give yourself any cancer whatsoever. Lies are NOT COOL.

I drink like two Cokes a year and just had a kidney stone. I drink 60 oz of water per day minimum.

Man I wish people realized the huge amount of harm they do by posting such total untruths :(
  • mccindy72
    Options

1- the cancer studies were in rats, which are extremely susceptible to cancer, and the aspartame levels were thousands of times higher than any ever consumed by humans, and have been unrepeatable in multiple studies.

2 - While colas and other caramel-colored sodas can cause kidney stones, there are myriad other causes, and it really depends on the person, other dietary and genetic factors, water consumption, and the amount of soda consumed. As well as other lifestyle factors such as smoking.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I'm scared and I don't want diareer.
  • thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

No studies have shown that you could possibly drink enough diet soda to give yourself any cancer whatsoever. Lies are NOT COOL.

I drink like two Cokes a year and just had a kidney stone. I drink 60 oz of water per day minimum.

Man I wish people realized the huge amount of harm they do by posting such total untruths :(

Sorry you're so unfortunate to have such awful luck/genetics to get them that bad. Maybe take into account your other life habits?

A simple "actually you're wrong and here's why" would have sufficed over a "lying isn't cool and you're hurting people". I was voicing personal experience, believe it or not. Think before you insult or degrade.