Cokes.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do realize that all of the people telling you to switch to diet sodas, though they have no calories, are not including that they contain aspartame. Aspartame is an artificial flavor that replaces the taste of the soda, and has been shown in studies to create cancer in different parts of the body.

I used to be addicted to Dr. Pepper and Coke, but after my first kidney stone I then realized that it isn't worth it. I wholly recommend that you cut them out entirely and focus on water only.

Please don't spread inaccurate information. It's not helpful or responsible.

Here is an excellent post and a follow up discussion about aspartame: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Edit: was beaten to it! Never mind, then.
  • thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do realize that all of the people telling you to switch to diet sodas, though they have no calories, are not including that they contain aspartame. Aspartame is an artificial flavor that replaces the taste of the soda, and has been shown in studies to create cancer in different parts of the body.

I used to be addicted to Dr. Pepper and Coke, but after my first kidney stone I then realized that it isn't worth it. I wholly recommend that you cut them out entirely and focus on water only.

You should read this. It's enjoyable and extremely educational: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Thank you for the enjoyable read. Definitely have to look further into it then. Thank you for opening my eyes.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

No studies have shown that you could possibly drink enough diet soda to give yourself any cancer whatsoever. Lies are NOT COOL.

I drink like two Cokes a year and just had a kidney stone. I drink 60 oz of water per day minimum.

Man I wish people realized the huge amount of harm they do by posting such total untruths :(

Sorry you're so unfortunate to have such awful luck/genetics to get them that bad. Maybe take into account your other life habits?

A simple "actually you're wrong and here's why" would have sufficed over a "lying isn't cool and you're hurting people". I was voicing personal experience, believe it or not. Think before you insult or degrade.

You deliberately tried to make OP believe that she will get cancer and kidney stones from drinking soda. Are those things true or not true? If they're not true, and you said them, then you were lying to someone about their health and that is not cool. And calling you out on it is the responsible thing to do. Sorrynotsorry.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No studies have shown that you could possibly drink enough diet soda to give yourself any cancer whatsoever. Lies are NOT COOL.

I drink like two Cokes a year and just had a kidney stone. I drink 60 oz of water per day minimum.

Man I wish people realized the huge amount of harm they do by posting such total untruths :(

Sorry you're so unfortunate to have such awful luck/genetics to get them that bad. Maybe take into account your other life habits?

A simple "actually you're wrong and here's why" would have sufficed over a "lying isn't cool and you're hurting people". I was voicing personal experience, believe it or not. Think before you insult or degrade.

There was nothing insulting or degrading in the previous post. It is a lie to say that aspartame causes cancer, because it doesn't.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Depends, you gonna eat the calories you aren't drinking? If yes, no. If no, then yes.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Please don't spread inaccurate information. It's not helpful or responsible.

Here is an excellent post and a follow up discussion about aspartame: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Edit: was beaten to it! Never mind, then.

That thread is one of my favorites, and I feel like it always bears repeating. :flowerforyou:
  • thop83
    Options

You deliberately tried to make OP believe that she will get cancer and kidney stones from drinking soda. Are those things true or not true? If they're not true, and you said them, then you were lying to someone about their health and that is not cool. And calling you out on it is the responsible thing to do. Sorrynotsorry.

I simply stated that STUDIES SHOW that they do. I was unaware that the studies were done on rats. As abother user mentioned the post on the matter, it was able to show me the holes in the information I already knew and put me back in line. You could be respectful and do the deed in a mature and reasonable way like another user did.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

So you got cancer from aspartame?
  • sofaking6
    edited July 2015
    Options

I simply stated that STUDIES SHOW that they do. I was unaware that the studies were done on rats. As abother user mentioned the post on the matter, it was able to show me the holes in the information I already knew and put me back in line. You could be respectful and do the deed in a mature and reasonable way like another user did.

I am respectful to people who care about the truth of what they say.

ETA: I see that you are barely old enough to have an account here, so let's just agree that in the future it would be like super awesome dude if you checked your information before passing it along.
  • thop83
    Options

That was in reference to the kidney stone. I forgot this was such an arrogant community :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »
    Drop a coin into coke, watch what happens. Now imagine what this stuff is doing to your teeth/insides. You will never drink coke again. The basis for a lot of fizzy drinks is phosphoric acid, you have acids in your stomach to break down foods, by adding more can cause severe imbalance. Watch on utube what happens when you add a few mints to a bottle of coke. Also in normal coke is packed with sugar, diet coke contains synthetic sweetners that in quantity can cause digestive problems like diarreer. Plain water is best or like me I prefer to add a few drops of lemon or orange squash.

@moog54 Oh please sir... I remember doing that experiment in school and Coke cleaned up my pennies (you can do that experiment with Mexican hot sauce as well :wink: ). If that's the case, then drinking Coke will clean up my teeth... and my insides. :laugh: They also taught me how water can erode rock. So if that's the case, I shouldn't drink water because eventually it'll cause a hole in my stomach. :huh: You can make anything sound super dangerous, ya know? :neutral:
    tRenee1996 wrote: »
    Does it help to cut out ALL cokes & only water?

@tRenee1996 You don't necessarily have to cut out ALL Cokes. If you want one, make it fit into your daily calories. I personally don't like the flavor of DIET, but you could also drink that as well, since it has no calories. But of course, drinking more water is best to keep hydrated and all. I sure do enjoy Cokes every week for sure... as do many people enjoy them (regular & diet) everyday as well... and we're losing weight. :flowerforyou:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »
    Depends on what your goal is. If you want to lose weight, switch to diet sodas. If you want to be healthy, cut out all soda.

So if you drink diet soda you can't be healthy?

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

That was in reference to the kidney stone. I forgot this was such an arrogant community :)

My question was arrogant?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    thop83 wrote: »

They kind of have to be done on rats. If you had any concern at all that a substance would cause cancer in humans, running a controlled, clinical study on humans would be incredibly unethical.
    1426554605-0.jpg
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    tRenee1996 wrote: »
    Does it help to cut out ALL cokes & only water?

Like others have said, it depends on your goals and personal preference. I prefer to eat those calories, but if I want something bubbly and sweet, I can enjoy diet soda without hindering my weight loss. I do agree with the tip of swishing water in between sips. I tend to nurse my drinks so a can of diet pop and a cup of water can last me a while.

I know that some people are easily scared about what they read online, but as long as diet pop is not your only source of water, you should be fine. Diet pop/soda is not toxic when consumed in moderation. The first ingredient to reach a toxic level is water and you'd have to drink gallons of it in a short amount of time to reach that sort of level.

If you don't have a medical condition and aren't susceptible to kidney stone (do they run in your family?), then you shouldn't have to worry too much. I have a diet pop at least a few times a week. I don't always record it since it's calorie free, but I do try to keep track of all my in take. Sometimes I have 2 cans in one day. Some times I'll go a whole week without having one. I gave up pop cold turkey for 10 years and I'm slowly adding it back in now that I know I can control myself and still see progress.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that clean pennies. Lemon juice and baking soda. Worcestshire sauce. Tobasco. Toothpaste.

I don't drink regular soda because I think it tastes too sweet and would rather not drink calories, but if that's your jam and you have the calories for it? Have some.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In my opinion, the biggest problem with sugar sweetened beverages (ALL of them) is that you can easily and efficiently consume very high volumes of calories in extremely short time with none of the nutritional satiety "braking mechanisms" in place (protein, fat, fiber) there to tell you "I'm full" at any point when you're consuming it.

Therefore, it becomes easy for people to be sipping soda (or juice, for that matter) throughout the day and be packing on an extra 1000-2000 calories a week without even realizing it.

I drink diet soda daily (I have a SodaStream, so it's rather easy to do it) and so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. I also like spending my calories elsewhere, like on satisfying things like a nice broiled steak, chicken, a huge bowl of fruit salad with cream, or maybe some ice cream or cookies on occasion. Sugar soda? Doesn't seem worth it to me.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    In my opinion, the biggest problem with sugar sweetened beverages (ALL of them) is that you can easily and efficiently consume very high volumes of calories in extremely short time with none of the nutritional satiety "braking mechanisms" in place (protein, fat, fiber) there to tell you "I'm full" at any point when you're consuming it.

Therefore, it becomes easy for people to be sipping soda (or juice, for that matter) throughout the day and be packing on an extra 1000-2000 calories a week without even realizing it.

I agree. I am a little mad at Costco for selling the Mexican Coke that has sugar cane in it. I could guzzle a case in a day, easily.