Waking up early to exercise!??! HOWWW!?

Options
chrissayyscoops
chrissayyscoops Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Been struggling to wake up and go running before work ): any tips or tricks!? :)

Let's motivate each other! :) please feel free to add! xx

Replies

• BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY want it, your mind will tell your tired body to STFU and get out of bed, and eventually it will become the norm :) I easily wake up at 6 and head to the gym or outside for a run even on days off, it is part of my lifestyle and its something I want badly.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    My #1 technique for getting up early for a workout ( Run or Swim ) --- Go to Bed Early!
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I am sooooo not a morning person....

Set your alarm on your phone on the other side of the room. You HAVE TO get out of bed to turn it off, there is no way to hit the snooze button and roll over for another lazy 10 minutes in bed.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I gave up on the morning routine as I'm not a morning person, why fight it. I'm a night owl, so I workout once the kids are asleep. I go for a nice walk/jog at night while my wife is at home with the kids. Works much better and I can sleep in that much more in the morning haha!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're going to bed early enough to support an early wake up call. I get up @ 445. Its normal to me now, even on weekends I wake up early! Set your alarm and treat it like a job. You wouldn't just skip work because you didn't want to get up?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Let your dog sleep in your bed. Feed your dog food they REALLY, REALLY LIKE, so they JUST CAN'T WAIT to eat every morning and are BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY all over your bed and your stomach and your face HOURS before sunrise because FOOD and IT'S TIME FOR FOOD, RIGHT? and IF I LICK YOUR FACE YOU WILL FEED ME, RIGHT?

Also, I think about how good it feels to strut into work after having run X miles. Way better than slumping in still wiping sleep crumbies out of my eyes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    My tip is ...

Sleep ... and then do your workout at lunch or after work.

I am not a morning person. I have never been a morning person. I have no desire to be a morning person.
    But come about 7 pm, that's when the energy kicks in. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get a reasonable amount of rest and then get up in the morning and handle your business like an adult
  • chrissayyscoops
    Options
    Let your dog sleep in your bed. Feed your dog food they REALLY, REALLY LIKE, so they JUST CAN'T WAIT to eat every morning and are BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY all over your bed and your stomach and your face HOURS before sunrise because FOOD and IT'S TIME FOR FOOD, RIGHT? and IF I LICK YOUR FACE YOU WILL FEED ME, RIGHT?

Also, I think about how good it feels to strut into work after having run X miles. Way better than slumping in still wiping sleep crumbies out of my eyes.

THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD :) lmao. May have to try!!
  • chrissayyscoops
    Options
    I agree with a lot of you- I'm so NOT a morning person.. Id like to be, especially as it's getting to 100 degrees mid-afternoon in California!!! ):
  • iGotThis27
    iGotThis27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    #1 get sleep! It takes 21 days for something to become a habit. So Give it 21 days, a small goal to just wake up and get up, even if you just start with doing 10 min of yoga / stretching, The more waking up becomes the norm, the more intense your workouts will become... try not to go from zero to 100 overnight and just let your body ease into it. I'm on day 3.. hope this helps!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I would just never do this, because I don't like torturing myself. Do it right after work or school, save yourself some stress and give yourself the gift of sleep.
  • adeplus2
    adeplus2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to get up early if you drop the booze, even a single glass of wine the night before; if you do drink the night before getting up early will be a tired struggle. Then set a routine, I have about an hour before I need to start the commute from 6am, so dress - 5 min, gym 20min, breakfast 10 min, shower- 15 min, dress - 5min, relax - 5min, commute. If you follow the regime robotically you find from bed to commute really flies by and you wonder how you managed to do all that in such a short period of time. Mind you my running machine is in the garage, which makes things a bit simpler.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I would just never do this, because I don't like torturing myself. Do it right after work or school, save yourself some stress and give yourself the gift of sleep.

Absolutely!! You've got to pick the time of day that works best for you.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Been struggling to wake up and go running before work ): any tips or tricks!? :)

Let's motivate each other! :) please feel free to add! xx

Alarm clock + discipline
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't. Early morning is not for me. I do it in the late afternoon.
  • drkhoax
    drkhoax Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eh - you get used to it - I wake up at 4:55am - go to the gym by 530 - done by 6:30 and to work for 7. its second nature after you force yourself through it. The hard part is the weekends, its like I want to sleep in..... body says nope!

I find it easier to go before work - cause honestly if I did it after work I would not do it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

I am giggling so hard right now.
    Will have to try.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Can you find time to work out without getting up in the morning?

I'm a night owl. I don't have the energy or motivation to get up in the morning and do a workout. I started doing my workouts between 9-10 pm and that works for me.

If you aren't a morning person, getting up in the morning will make working out regularly even more difficult when you are just starting. You don't have to run in the morning if your sleep circle would have you sleep.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    My #1 technique for getting up early for a workout ( Run or Swim ) --- Go to Bed Early!

If you want something, you plan for it. I go to bed between 9-10 and wake up without an alarm around 5. I've basically given up TV. Being healthy is more important.