Flexible Dieting (IIFYM)

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    _Miyuki wrote: »
    I was just wondering how many of you guys practice flexible dieting!

That's an interesting question.
    If you check the "popular groups" here on MFP, you will find out there are at least 18,000 clean eaters, 17,000 low carbers, 9,000 vegans/vegetarians, 8,000 primal/paleo, while the IIFYM group has only 1,004 members.
    On the other hand, the IIFYM way of eating seems to be quite mainstream on the main forums, and likely that's why they don't need to join a specific group, but it is not clear to me if they represent a majority or simply the most "vocal" minority (in the latter case, the owner of this website should rethink how to run these forums).

I think there are a lot more flexible dieters, that just don't subscribe to that name. There is also a very vocal (and annoying) minority of IIFYM people that give the rest a bad rap.

There might be more people than that, technically a vegan/vegetarian can be IIFYM, I am a pescetarian IIFYM. I just don't eat the factory farmed for personal reasons, but other than that If it fits my macros I eat it, so prob more than a thousand if you count the veggies and vegans.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Lotta meatheads in these forums, really pretty suffocating.

To newbies, IIFYM often means eat whatever you want, just fit macros. This is crappy advice. This is my point.

Why is it crappy advice though? IIFYM is for weight loss. To lose weight, you have to eat less than you burn. IIFYM will put you in a deficit and that's what matters. MFP is essentially the same set up. Is that crappy, too?
    Not exactly. IIFYM is more so for improvements in body composition. Lose fat and build muscle...

So, exactly what I said.

You don't build muscle with your food alone.

If people want to adjust their macros for maximum muscle retention, they certainly can, but it's entirely up to the person applying it.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Every single day, I first always focus on eating 0.8g protein (or more) per pound of lean body mass (my total weight minus my bodyfat weight)

On rest days, I keep carbs under 50g and eat more fat.
    On workout days, I eat very little fat and eat higher carbs.

This is a common bodybuilder methodology.

IIFYM works great if you have >30 pounds to lose. But once you reach sub-12% bodyfat, you will find it challenging to get any leaner unless you focus more intently on what you're eating and when you eat it.

Losing weight via a calorie deficit is definitely possible via IIFYM, but building muscle while staying lean is, speaking frankly, not nearly as simple.

Tell that to Kane Sumabat or Layne Norton...

No reason to. Just sharing my own experience. For me, IIFYM works great when I have plenty of bodyfat to provide me with extra energy. Not the same mental/physical experience when I try to eat candy all day and maintain a deficit at under 12% bodyfat.

What? Again, you're failing to understand IIFYM. No IIFYM'er is advocating eating candy all day....

RULE #1 - FOCUS ON NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS!!!!!!! This will be the 4th time I've had to post this........

You are wrong. Sorry. IIFYM, by it's very definition, says to focus on what fits your macros. YOU are placing your own brand and thoughts on it by saying "focus on nutrient dense foods". That is YOU saying that, not the universe of IIFYM believers.

Recognize the fact that you are adding supplementary conditions to IIFYM. So you cannot simultaneously criticize a plan that focuses on higher-quality food and say that IIFYM is ok as long as you eat nutrient-dense food.

This is an illogical argument.

You clearly have no idea what IIFYM is...

Indeed, extremely unaware.

All three of us must be wrong and have NO CLUE what were are talking about......... :smirk:

So, in other words, 'IIFYM' is just as confusing a term as 'clean eating'. I need to start putting it in quote marks too, then!
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the above poster. There are days on a given week when I have 2 meals, there are days when I have 5, days when CI is less than my goal and of course there are days when I go over. Macros also varies depending if it is cardio day or lift day. Very flexible depending on my schedule. I can't adhere to anything rigid or restrictive.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    _Miyuki wrote: »
    I was just wondering how many of you guys practice flexible dieting!

*Raises Hand* Me, me, I do! I like to call it Flexible Eating though so it's not to be confused with a diet; it seems like many people don't understand the standard term of "diet" as in "eating", not "dieting".

I do count macros most of the time but sometimes I go off grid and guess ; )

IIFYM/Flexible Eating/Dieting in my experience doesn't permit me to eat a lot of junk since I still have a long ways to go and would use up all of my macros in one setting if I were to do that ; ) Of course, I do on occasion and go light the rest of the day and I feel good doing that. I've never been the kind of person that believed in setting some foods as off limits because in my experience it's led me to eventual overeating of said "off limits" food at some point.

I've done just counting calories for the first 6 months of my journey and then several months of IIFYM etc.. and then back to just cal counting and a mix of counting macros and back on it because it gives me the best results and pretty much always keeps me satiated with less cravings- I love it.

I do work out hard though with lifting 4-6 times per week plus doing various forms of cardio afterward via HIIT and LISS mostly.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I just eat what I like and make it fit my calorie goal.

So the answer to the question is no?

Guess I thought Flexible Dieting meant something else, similar to IIFYM but not so macro-focused. I thought IIFYM meant hit target macros, micros, and calories in that order whereas FD meant a mix of the three with no stress on hitting macros/micros.

Well, now I know why I never get invited to the IIFYM and FD parties.
    l1cidzpmqhvu.gif
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Every single day, I first always focus on eating 0.8g protein (or more) per pound of lean body mass (my total weight minus my bodyfat weight)

IIFYM works great if you have >30 pounds to lose. But once you reach sub-12% bodyfat, you will find it challenging to get any leaner unless you focus more intently on what you're eating and when you eat it.

Losing weight via a calorie deficit is definitely possible via IIFYM, but building muscle while staying lean is, speaking frankly, not nearly as simple.

No reason to. Just sharing my own experience. For me, IIFYM works great when I have plenty of bodyfat to provide me with extra energy. Not the same mental/physical experience when I try to eat candy all day and maintain a deficit at under 12% bodyfat.

What? Again, you're failing to understand IIFYM. No IIFYM'er is advocating eating candy all day....

RULE #1 - FOCUS ON NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS!!!!!!! This will be the 4th time I've had to post this........

You are wrong. Sorry. IIFYM, by it's very definition, says to focus on what fits your macros. YOU are placing your own brand and thoughts on it by saying "focus on nutrient dense foods". That is YOU saying that, not the universe of IIFYM believers.

Recognize the fact that you are adding supplementary conditions to IIFYM. So you cannot simultaneously criticize a plan that focuses on higher-quality food and say that IIFYM is ok as long as you eat nutrient-dense food.

All three of us must be wrong and have NO CLUE what were are talking about......... :smirk:

So, in other words, 'IIFYM' is just as confusing a term as 'clean eating'. I need to start putting it in quote marks too, then!

Nope. "Clean" labels food good vs. bad. IIFYM is a principle which can be applied to your overall diet.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Nope. "Clean" labels food good vs. bad. IIFYM is a principle which can be applied to your overall diet.

Right, but if you look, there seems to be variance of what people think IIFYM means.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

nope not at all, some have just chosen to directly associate with a diet of twinkies that is not nutritionaly dense, and I have never heard a single IIFYM proponent say "its OK if you do not hit micros" or "yea, you can eat twinkies all day and you will be good"
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Reasonable macro settings makes you get a cross section of foods/nutrients.

Yes--as I said above I think the concept of IIFYM (or flexible dieting also) incorporates an assumption that you are eating a mostly nutrient dense diet, but even for those who aren't there yet I think focusing on meeting reasonable macros is a step toward a balanced diet and understanding what that means. It's kind of shocking to me that this is necessary, but from observing on MFP I think for some it is--just learning what foods contain what and likely increasing your protein can lead to improvements in the diet.

When I was a kid the standard American diet was pretty balanced: dinner=meat, veg, and a starch, and that's not so different than what someone might come up with in thinking through how to meet macros. (You'd add some fat or cook with it, of course.)

I eat like a chemist

My diet and exercise is very specific.

I eat for daily activities. I don't even attempt to discuss it on MFP much since this place is so prone to want to argue

If I plan a 40 mile bike ride on Saturday I will be pretty carb heavy and eat some sugar GU packs on the ride. I will hit lots of sodium and electrolyte packs to hold some water but still lose 5 lbs in the 95+ heat here.

For a heavy lifting Saturday I will be low carb and protein heavy with different supplements with a nitric oxide focus.

Studying nutrition a bit has destroyed old myths of the last on how to eat.

I like hearing how others eat for activities and use food to reach performance goals.

I totally agree that learning the properties of food, going beyond a calorie is just a calorie is helpful. Food has so many more properties than just the popular one, the caloric value.

• jmule24
    Options

Right, but if you look, there seems to be variance of what people think IIFYM means.

That's because sites like this have allowed it to become something it's not..... Did you watch the youtube video that LOLbroscience posted with Alan Aragon? If not, I suggest you watch it. It should clear up anyone's view about what IIFYM is.....
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

And then there are those who can assign differing values to foods AND not restrict them...
  • jmule24
    Options

And then there are those who can assign differing values to foods AND not restrict them...

What's your point?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Not sure what YOU mean by this, but IMO that's flexible dieting. I understand how foods differ and what they contribute (including taste, of course), so I take that into account when choosing what to eat. There's a context.

But it's IMO not very intelligent to turn that into "good foods" and "bad foods" as if context weren't relevant.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You mean like Alan does in the video I posted clarifying the origin of IIFYM?
    • Whole Foods
    • Minimally Processed
    • Processed
    All without having to eliminate any particular category completely?

The main focal point should still be nutrient dense foods, but it doesn't associate any particular food as "good" or "bad" without taking a look at overall diet.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options

What's your point?

Labeling the extremes is ultimately unproductive is the point
  • accidentalpancake
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not sure what YOU mean by this, but IMO that's flexible dieting. I understand how foods differ and what they contribute (including taste, of course), so I take that into account when choosing what to eat. There's a context.

But it's IMO not very intelligent to turn that into "good foods" and "bad foods" as if context weren't relevant.

I didn't use the terms good and bad.
This discussion has been closed.