no shoulder shrugs in the squat rack please......

Options

Replies

• JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    My gym-trick, that I swear works 9 times out of 10: "How many sets do you have left?"
    Whenever I ask that, they're always miraculously on their last one, then I jump right in.

Maybe it's from my lack of bo0bs but i often get told, "I just started".. which translates to "I have 14 more sets in my bro split. I'll be done on Thursday."

Hrm, it was my boyfriend who told me that trick in the first place, so your bo0bs argument is invalid! :D

True! works for me and I don't have Boobs, I HAD Moobs, but now they're Pecs :wink:

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The gym would be a much better place if people would just stick to what racks are intended for: curls!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    That would suck.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    we only have two squat racks and two Olympic bars at our gym ..so I have to deadlift, OHP, bench press in them, etc. I really wish we would at least get one bench station or something like that...

That would suck and would send me looking for a new gym.

Actually, I seem to be one of the few that is squatting, OHP'ing,and deadlifting, and I have the times down as to when it is peak time and not, so I am not having an issue...

It is an anytime fitness, but it seems like we get an older or newbieish crowd and, lucky for me, they are scared to go in the squat rack ....
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    The gym would be a much better place if people would just stick to what racks are intended for: curls!

I've seen guys use the rack to do curls. Drives me bonkers to be honest.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't use your gym - try speaking up and talking to them. Or talk to the staff. Or do a different leg exercise - there are dozens.

This.

It's like all those Facebook statuses that say crap like, "Dear lady in front of me gabbing away on your cell phone.."
    WTF good is it to post something like that? Just ask that chick to keep it down?

My gym-trick, that I swear works 9 times out of 10: "How many sets do you have left?"
    Whenever I ask that, they're always miraculously on their last one, then I jump right in.
    Seriously, it's like magic. It's a polite way of conveying that they've been there a while, and you're waiting. :)

Yep. Every time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP - so everyone in the gym should adjust their routine around how much time you have? sorry, it does not work that way. If someone is in the squat racks at my gym I either ask if I can work in, or just, you know, wait until they are done. OR, you could do lunges, or some other leg exercise while you wait for said rack to open up.
    I don't use your gym - try speaking up and talking to them. Or talk to the staff. Or do a different leg exercise - there are dozens.

This.

It's like all those Facebook statuses that say crap like, "Dear lady in front of me gabbing away on your cell phone.."
    WTF good is it to post something like that? Just ask that chick to keep it down?

Seriously, it's like magic. It's a polite way of conveying that they've been there a while, and you're waiting. :)

^All the above.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Since my gym has added all these new racks, it's so cool. There's always availability now.

But, I still get irritated when people use racks to deadlift, shrug, or whatever. Now, there are times when they are actually using the racks. If you're shrugging a lot of weight on a barbell, OK. If you're doing rack pulls. OK. There are many uses for racks, and I don't have any problem with people using them. I get it. But, most in my gym are not. They are doing stupid stuff. I know they paid, but that doesn't give people the right to use equipment incorrectly when others want to use the squat rack to actually squat. It's rude and inconsiderate.

it kinda does tho. so i can't do my barbell curls in the rack, but this guy over here can do his quarter squats of 3 plates while his buddy uploads to photos to his IG? i can't do a set of heavy shrugs with half the plates in the gym loaded on the bar, but this cat over there can do 65 pound squats for sets of 20? who decides the highest and best use of piece of equipment or floor space in the gym? can i do pushups here on the floor or does that guy doing walking lunges have first dibs? can i do muscle ups on this pull up bar?

nobody dies if they wait a few minutes for their turn.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    How does one tell if there are people waiting for the power rack? Is there a list?

Depends on how damn big they are what approach I use.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Since my gym has added all these new racks, it's so cool. There's always availability now.

But, I still get irritated when people use racks to deadlift, shrug, or whatever. Now, there are times when they are actually using the racks. If you're shrugging a lot of weight on a barbell, OK. If you're doing rack pulls. OK. There are many uses for racks, and I don't have any problem with people using them. I get it. But, most in my gym are not. They are doing stupid stuff. I know they paid, but that doesn't give people the right to use equipment incorrectly when others want to use the squat rack to actually squat. It's rude and inconsiderate.

it kinda does tho. so i can't do my barbell curls in the rack, but this guy over here can do his quarter squats of 3 plates while his buddy uploads to photos to his IG? i can't do a set of heavy shrugs with half the plates in the gym loaded on the bar, but this cat over there can do 65 pound squats for sets of 20? who decides the highest and best use of piece of equipment or floor space in the gym? can i do pushups here on the floor or does that guy doing walking lunges have first dibs? can i do muscle ups on this pull up bar?

nobody dies if they wait a few minutes for their turn.

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My gym is a zoo. Had to deal with this today. Probably a friend of DavPul.

SPK4rsb.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    SHE PAID HER MEMBER DUES JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!!

it's not her fault that the rack is where the only usable outlet is!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    SHE PAID HER MEMBER DUES JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!!

it's not her fault that the rack is where the only usable outlet is!

*nod nod*
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    93gec2nk2p6v.jpg
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Saw 3 guys bring a bench to the squat rack and start doing chest exercises. There were 3 bench press stations available with plenty of plates available. My girlfriend and I had to wait 20 minutes before they finished.

The rack works great for benching without a spotter. With 3 guys it is probably overkill as at least one can be a spotter.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    93gec2nk2p6v.jpg

I can beat that.

My gym has a very nice Oly lifting platform and a jack to load weights. Noticed one day a guy had the Oly bar on the jack, placed a 2.5 lb plate on either side, picked it up and proceeded to do curls.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Saw 3 guys bring a bench to the squat rack and start doing chest exercises. There were 3 bench press stations available with plenty of plates available. My girlfriend and I had to wait 20 minutes before they finished.

The rack works great for benching without a spotter. With 3 guys it is probably overkill as at least one can be a spotter.

Until you have had the experience of having a spotter miss the bar and it coming crashing down. I always bench on a competition bench or in a rack, and I always have my safeties set properly.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i used to complain about bros doing shrugs in the squat rack, and then I graduated to an intermediate routine which meant that I then had to do shrugs in the squat rack. Now I don't care what anyone else does.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Until you have had the experience of having a spotter miss the bar and it coming crashing down. I always bench on a competition bench or in a rack, and I always have my safeties set properly.

curious how do you set the safeties? when i set them at mine they are too high and the bar does not come near to my chest, if that makes sense?

I was thinking if I set them an angle it might work better, but no sure….
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

curious how do you set the safeties? when i set them at mine they are too high and the bar does not come near to my chest, if that makes sense?

I was thinking if I set them an angle it might work better, but no sure….

I set mine so that my neck and chest are just below the safeties and when I bench I arch my back and puff up my chest enough clear the safeties. If you can't adjust it quite right you can place mats or plates under the bench to give it an extra bit of height.

I also agree with Iron Miss, I don't trust spotters; they certainly won't catch a heavy bar.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    no shoulder shrugs in the squat rack please......
    Shrugs actually work the traps, not delts

but I agree, you can grab a bar from the incline bench that no one ever uses and deadlift it to shrug.

And both traps and delts are muscles of the shoulder.