no shoulder shrugs in the squat rack please......

Options

Replies

• TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    How does one tell if there are people waiting for the power rack? Is there a list?

You see them hovering around like a vulture, using the cardio equipment for a few minutes and then walking over around the racks looking for the opportunity as someone unloads their bar. They half-*kitten* a dumbbell curl as they look out the corner of their eye for a free rack. It is just like the jungle.

Or at least that is what I do.
    shor0814 wrote: »
    How does one tell if there are people waiting for the power rack? Is there a list?

You see them hovering around like a vulture, using the cardio equipment for a few minutes and then walking over around the racks looking for the opportunity as someone unloads their bar. They half-*kitten* a dumbbell curl as they look out the corner of their eye for a free rack. It is just like the jungle.

Or at least that is what I do.

funny :-)

So true
    <~~said vulture
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i was thinking this just the other day. maybe we should put a coin on the wrack like you do for pool?

it's not a bad idea. all jokes aside I've asked the person how many sets they had left and then left my towel on or near the rack as my "quarter". when the person's done and some other jamoke that's standing near it tries to horn in, i casually point to my towel and say i had next. never been a problem.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

i was thinking this just the other day. maybe we should put a coin on the wrack like you do for pool?

it's not a bad idea. all jokes aside I've asked the person how many sets they had left and then left my towel on or near the rack as my "quarter". when the person's done and some other jamoke that's standing near it tries to horn in, i casually point to my towel and say i had next. never been a problem.

actually like that too
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Big dude in my gym shrugs 495 lbs in the Squat rack. He can shrug wherever he pleases, as far as I'm concerned.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Saw 3 guys bring a bench to the squat rack and start doing chest exercises. There were 3 bench press stations available with plenty of plates available. My girlfriend and I had to wait 20 minutes before they finished.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Saw 3 guys bring a bench to the squat rack and start doing chest exercises. There were 3 bench press stations available with plenty of plates available. My girlfriend and I had to wait 20 minutes before they finished.

20 minutes is hella excessive. That would have driven me nuts. (I'm telling you, though, try the "how many sets do you have left?" trick!! I promise you, it'll suddenly be their 'last one'.)
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

20 minutes is hella excessive. That would have driven me nuts. (I'm telling you, though, try the "how many sets do you have left?" trick!! I promise you, it'll suddenly be their 'last one'.)

It works for us most of the time, generally people will see us waiting and tell us they are almost done. I think the worst thing we've ever encountered (just this past Sunday), was seeing an empty squat rack with a few plates on, walking 20 seconds across the room to it, taking off the plates, setting up new plates, and then right before starting our set... a guy runs from across the room to us, just to tell us he was still using the rack. He INSISTED that he was allowed to do so after we told him that he wasn't even near it (he was doing pull ups across the room when he first saw us, apparently).

The 2 girls in the rack next to this one heard the commotion and let us know that they were just finishing up.

We finished our squats and when we moved to another workout, he was still telling others the same thing he told us.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Works Every time :wink:

• MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    especially when I am pushed for time and am clearly waiting to use it! grrrrr!

on the other hand, we all pay our membership and are all entitled to use the equipment.......

Ive tried doing free weight shrugs and its uncomfortable. also deadlifting into a shrug could potentially hurt there back from prior work outs, I see both sides of the argument and I guess I just pick a different time to go to the gym to utilize the rack.

• No_Finish_Line
    Options

20 min doesn't seem crazy, but bothering to drag a bench to a squat rack when there are bench presses open is pretty asinine
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    My gym-trick, that I swear works 9 times out of 10: "How many sets do you have left?"
    Whenever I ask that, they're always miraculously on their last one, then I jump right in.

Maybe it's from my lack of bo0bs but i often get told, "I just started".. which translates to "I have 14 more sets in my bro split. I'll be done on Thursday."
  • shanek1990
    shanek1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    My gym-trick, that I swear works 9 times out of 10: "How many sets do you have left?"
    Whenever I ask that, they're always miraculously on their last one, then I jump right in.

Maybe it's from my lack of bo0bs but i often get told, "I just started".. which translates to "I have 14 more sets in my bro split. I'll be done on Thursday."

Thanks for the laugh haha.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    shanek1990 wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh haha.

I'm pretty sure it's the lack of boobs or someone just exerting their something or other. I always have luck with the 'how many sets left' but my husband, not so much.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Hrm, it was my boyfriend who told me that trick in the first place, so your bo0bs argument is invalid! :D
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I've seen this happen at my gym as well. I casually walked up to the guys and was like "oh, you must be new here, the bench presses are over there" and pointed to the benches. They ended up moving so I could have the rack.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    ^^ pretty much everything else I can see a point it. the weight is right where you want it for shrugs or curls or whatever.

pulling a bench to a squat rack when there are perfectly good bench presses available makes no sense at all.

are they trying to be pains in the *kitten*?
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I will give up my rack if I am doing OHP's or deads in or in front the squat rack, but they can't have my BB. :) Which typically sends them scrambling to grab one off the decline bench.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    we only have two squat racks and two Olympic bars at our gym ..so I have to deadlift, OHP, bench press in them, etc. I really wish we would at least get one bench station or something like that...

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    That would suck.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    we only have two squat racks and two Olympic bars at our gym ..so I have to deadlift, OHP, bench press in them, etc. I really wish we would at least get one bench station or something like that...

That would suck and would send me looking for a new gym.