lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Every single day, I first always focus on eating 0.8g protein (or more) per pound of lean body mass (my total weight minus my bodyfat weight)

On rest days, I keep carbs under 50g and eat more fat.
    On workout days, I eat very little fat and eat higher carbs.

This is a common bodybuilder methodology.

IIFYM works great if you have >30 pounds to lose. But once you reach sub-12% bodyfat, you will find it challenging to get any leaner unless you focus more intently on what you're eating and when you eat it.

Losing weight via a calorie deficit is definitely possible via IIFYM, but building muscle while staying lean is, speaking frankly, not nearly as simple.

Tell that to Kane Sumabat or Layne Norton...

No reason to. Just sharing my own experience. For me, IIFYM works great when I have plenty of bodyfat to provide me with extra energy. Not the same mental/physical experience when I try to eat candy all day and maintain a deficit at under 12% bodyfat.

What? Again, you're failing to understand IIFYM. No IIFYM'er is advocating eating candy all day....

RULE #1 - FOCUS ON NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS!!!!!!! This will be the 4th time I've had to post this........

You are wrong. Sorry. IIFYM, by it's very definition, says to focus on what fits your macros. YOU are placing your own brand and thoughts on it by saying "focus on nutrient dense foods". That is YOU saying that, not the universe of IIFYM believers.

Recognize the fact that you are adding supplementary conditions to IIFYM. So you cannot simultaneously criticize a plan that focuses on higher-quality food and say that IIFYM is ok as long as you eat nutrient-dense food.

This is an illogical argument.

You clearly have no idea what IIFYM is...

Indeed, extremely unaware.

All three of us must be wrong and have NO CLUE what were are talking about......... :smirk:

So, in other words, 'IIFYM' is just as confusing a term as 'clean eating'. I need to start putting it in quote marks too, then!

Nope. "Clean" labels food good vs. bad. IIFYM is a principle which can be applied to your overall diet.

And then there are those who can assign differing values to foods AND not restrict them...

Not sure what YOU mean by this, but IMO that's flexible dieting. I understand how foods differ and what they contribute (including taste, of course), so I take that into account when choosing what to eat. There's a context.

But it's IMO not very intelligent to turn that into "good foods" and "bad foods" as if context weren't relevant.

I didn't use the terms good and bad.

Didn't say you did.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Every single day, I first always focus on eating 0.8g protein (or more) per pound of lean body mass (my total weight minus my bodyfat weight)

IIFYM works great if you have >30 pounds to lose. But once you reach sub-12% bodyfat, you will find it challenging to get any leaner unless you focus more intently on what you're eating and when you eat it.

Losing weight via a calorie deficit is definitely possible via IIFYM, but building muscle while staying lean is, speaking frankly, not nearly as simple.

No reason to. Just sharing my own experience. For me, IIFYM works great when I have plenty of bodyfat to provide me with extra energy. Not the same mental/physical experience when I try to eat candy all day and maintain a deficit at under 12% bodyfat.

What? Again, you're failing to understand IIFYM. No IIFYM'er is advocating eating candy all day....

RULE #1 - FOCUS ON NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS!!!!!!! This will be the 4th time I've had to post this........

You are wrong. Sorry. IIFYM, by it's very definition, says to focus on what fits your macros. YOU are placing your own brand and thoughts on it by saying "focus on nutrient dense foods". That is YOU saying that, not the universe of IIFYM believers.

Recognize the fact that you are adding supplementary conditions to IIFYM. So you cannot simultaneously criticize a plan that focuses on higher-quality food and say that IIFYM is ok as long as you eat nutrient-dense food.

All three of us must be wrong and have NO CLUE what were are talking about......... :smirk:

So, in other words, 'IIFYM' is just as confusing a term as 'clean eating'. I need to start putting it in quote marks too, then!

Nope. "Clean" labels food good vs. bad. IIFYM is a principle which can be applied to your overall diet.

And then there are those who can assign differing values to foods AND not restrict them...

Not sure what YOU mean by this, but IMO that's flexible dieting. I understand how foods differ and what they contribute (including taste, of course), so I take that into account when choosing what to eat. There's a context.

But it's IMO not very intelligent to turn that into "good foods" and "bad foods" as if context weren't relevant.

Didn't say you did.

Well then we're good, aren't we?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Didn't say you did.

But are you healthier than broccoli?
  • accidentalpancake
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Didn't say you did.

I like to think I have better hair.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Didn't say you did.

Eh, hair doesn't have useful macros, and doesn't taste as good as poptarts.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options

Didn't say you did.

You're not cooking it right.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Didn't say you did.

I thought we were basically agreeing, yes.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So, exactly what I said.
    No, you said IIFYM is for weight loss. I said fat loss, they are very different.
    You don't build muscle with your food alone.
    I agree and never said you did. That said, for optimal muscle building and or retention, tailoring macros can have a major impact.
    If people want to adjust their macros for maximum muscle retention, they certainly can, but it's entirely up to the person applying it.
    Agree. IIFYM started in the bodybuilding world so I would imagine that is par for the course.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Didn't say you did.

Poptarts...

Interesting taste.

Not a big fan of them.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 'flexible eating' is a much better term for what a lot of people are actually doing on MFP, not IIFYM.

I agree. I think it depends on how focused you are on specific macros.

I'm really quite, uh, flexible on the macros beyond a few broad guidelines, so I call it flexible dieting. ;-)

Exactly this. IIFYM implies you just get the right protein/carb/fat mix and you're good to go. Doesn't address satiety, flexibility of using either carbs or fat as an energy source (and in which situations you should prefer one or the other), or a host of other quality issues that people trying to reach elite levels of fitness are going for.

Flexible dieting is a term that is instantly understandable. It just means chill out and live life, but don't go crazy. Be flexible, but still focus on having some semblance of a diet. If you're a 100% noob and hear someone say "well, if it fits your macros" you are probably going to continue eating a lot of garbage (just less of them) when not all macros are created equal. You may walk around hungry, wondering why it's not working, wondering why it's not sustainable.

If you want to focus on just weight loss, go right ahead and eat a deficit a twinkies every day. It WILL work. You will lose a lot of weight, wear our your pancreas, and have the physique of a 4-year-old.

Weight loss shouldn't be the only goal of anyone health-minded. The number on the scale is not the most important challenge to overcome, anymore than making the most money is the only goal of anyone career-focused.
    That seems like an odd way to look at it.

Would a reasonable person stick with an eating plan that didn't satiate or meet his energy needs?

You go back and forth between "people trying to reach elite levels of fitness" and "100% noobs."

Can someone come up with a crappy, ineffective diet that fits a particular macro ratio? Yeah. Duh. The same person could do the same thing with a "flexible diet," too.

You write as if IIFYM somehow excludes the possibility of goals other that weight loss. It's like you really, truly don't grasp it or you're being intentionally obtuse.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I just eat what I like and make it fit my calorie goal.

So the answer to the question is no?

Guess I thought Flexible Dieting meant something else, similar to IIFYM but not so macro-focused. I thought IIFYM meant hit target macros, micros, and calories in that order whereas FD meant a mix of the three with no stress on hitting macros/micros.

Well, now I know why I never get invited to the IIFYM and FD parties.
    l1cidzpmqhvu.gif

Thank you for posting this. You are exactly the person I am trying to address.

The so-called experts on this board often speak to everyone as if IIFYM is some well-understand concept when, in fact, the term "If it fits your macros" implies something quite different than what the actual plan is.

If I am 100 pounds overweight, new to this site, and I read a post that says "you can lose a lot of weight with IIFYM, try it out, just make sure food fits your macros", and I continue to read this over and over again, it is simply going to reinforce a plan in my mind that lets me eat the same food I always ate before, but just less of it. I am going to do just that, and then wonder why I am hungry, tired, etc. I've been there. I lost 70 pounds myself using MyFitnessPal and a combination of diets. Probably the biggest thing standing in my way was bad advice from these forums. You can say I was naive for believing what I read in a forum, but if that were always true, then what's the point of an advice forum anyways? People come here seeking advice and help.

I wish the IIFYM fanboys could step back for just a minute and say "Hmm, if I was brand-new to this site, what might I think IIFYM is? What does that sound like?" And spend some time to describe the plan instead of denigrating people who try to bring a differing opinion.

In my opinion, what new dieters should take away from this site is that you whatever you were doing before didn't work. If total flexibility worked, then everyone would already be at their goal weight. At some point, everyone losing weight has to make some sacrifices. Yes, you can still have flexibility in your diet and eat pizza every now and then. But it is a poor strategy to assume that you can just eat less pizza and achieve all fitness and health goals. I am a big, big believer that everyone should focus on getting to a healthy weight first and foremost, and that everything else comes second. But the term "if it fits your macros" is unintentionally misleading to those new to it, to those that don't know the real plan. You should not eat everything under the sun just because it fits your macros. This is a poor dieting strategy and a poor long-term health strategy. I don't know how else to say it.

I am sure I will get a dozen responses say "but that's not what IIFYM is" or "you are an idiot" because that is typical of these forums. Very quick responses that don't solve anyone's problems, but instead just invite confrontation.

My advice to anyone reading this is to subscribe to www.LeanGains.com, www.BodyRecomposition.com, andhttp://jyfitness.blogspot.com/ . These are great sites that use science to back up their claims.

The MyFitnessPal forums are full of people that have opinions without any scientific backup (even mine is just an opinion). Buyer beware.
  • DeeJayShank
    Options
    Reasonable macro settings makes you get a cross section of foods/nutrients.

Yes--as I said above I think the concept of IIFYM (or flexible dieting also) incorporates an assumption that you are eating a mostly nutrient dense diet, but even for those who aren't there yet I think focusing on meeting reasonable macros is a step toward a balanced diet and understanding what that means. It's kind of shocking to me that this is necessary, but from observing on MFP I think for some it is--just learning what foods contain what and likely increasing your protein can lead to improvements in the diet.

When I was a kid the standard American diet was pretty balanced: dinner=meat, veg, and a starch, and that's not so different than what someone might come up with in thinking through how to meet macros. (You'd add some fat or cook with it, of course.)

I eat like a chemist

My diet and exercise is very specific.

I eat for daily activities. I don't even attempt to discuss it on MFP much since this place is so prone to want to argue

If I plan a 40 mile bike ride on Saturday I will be pretty carb heavy and eat some sugar GU packs on the ride. I will hit lots of sodium and electrolyte packs to hold some water but still lose 5 lbs in the 95+ heat here.

For a heavy lifting Saturday I will be low carb and protein heavy with different supplements with a nitric oxide focus.

Studying nutrition a bit has destroyed old myths of the last on how to eat.

I like hearing how others eat for activities and use food to reach performance goals.

I totally agree that learning the properties of food, going beyond a calorie is just a calorie is helpful. Food has so many more properties than just the popular one, the caloric value.

Excellent post, thank you.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited July 2015
    Options

Guess I thought Flexible Dieting meant something else, similar to IIFYM but not so macro-focused. I thought IIFYM meant hit target macros, micros, and calories in that order whereas FD meant a mix of the three with no stress on hitting macros/micros.

l1cidzpmqhvu.gif

The so-called experts on this board often speak to everyone as if IIFYM is some well-understand concept when, in fact, the term "If it fits your macros" implies something quite different than what the actual plan is.

If I am 100 pounds overweight, new to this site, and I read a post that says "you can lose a lot of weight with IIFYM, try it out, just make sure food fits your macros", and I continue to read this over and over again, it is simply going to reinforce a plan in my mind that lets me eat the same food I always ate before, but just less of it.
    Yeah. That was me. That's exactly what I did.

64078106.png
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

l1cidzpmqhvu.gif

If I am 100 pounds overweight, new to this site, and I read a post that says "you can lose a lot of weight with IIFYM, try it out, just make sure food fits your macros", and I continue to read this over and over again, it is simply going to reinforce a plan in my mind that lets me eat the same food I always ate before, but just less of it. I am going to do just that, and then wonder why I am hungry, tired, etc. I've been there. I lost 70 pounds myself using MyFitnessPal and a combination of diets. Probably the biggest thing standing in my way was bad advice from these forums. You can say I was naive for believing what I read in a forum, but if that were always true, then what's the point of an advice forum anyways? People come here seeking advice and help.

I wish the IIFYM fanboys could step back for just a minute and say "Hmm, if I was brand-new to this site, what might I think IIFYM is? What does that sound like?" And spend some time to describe the plan instead of denigrating people who try to bring a differing opinion.

In my opinion, what new dieters should take away from this site is that you whatever you were doing before didn't work. If total flexibility worked, then everyone would already be at their goal weight. At some point, everyone losing weight has to make some sacrifices. Yes, you can still have flexibility in your diet and eat pizza every now and then. But it is a poor strategy to assume that you can just eat less pizza and achieve all fitness and health goals. I am a big, big believer that everyone should focus on getting to a healthy weight first and foremost, and that everything else comes second. But the term "if it fits your macros" is unintentionally misleading to those new to it, to those that don't know the real plan. You should not eat everything under the sun just because it fits your macros. This is a poor dieting strategy and a poor long-term health strategy. I don't know how else to say it.

I am sure I will get a dozen responses say "but that's not what IIFYM is" or "you are an idiot" because that is typical of these forums. Very quick responses that don't solve anyone's problems, but instead just invite confrontation.

My advice to anyone reading this is to subscribe to www.LeanGains.com, www.BodyRecomposition.com, andhttp://jyfitness.blogspot.com/ . These are great sites that use science to back up their claims.

The MyFitnessPal forums are full of people that have opinions without any scientific backup (even mine is just an opinion). Buyer beware.

Pretty sure I posted a video addressing this on the last page.

I don't understand your point about the science aspect? No one is stating anything that would be otherwise noted as non-scientific? The same posters that you describe as "Fan Boys" regularily spread around science based websites such as:

and many more...
  • mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    its a big NO, should be eating to your macronutrients :)

Uuummmm....that's what IIFYM is.

I think he was responding to the person above him :)

Thanks for the save haha :)
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    IIFYM works for me: down 75+ lbs., and haven't had to give up a single food. :)

hrfc920cpjag.png

This is AWESOME! Congrats!

I am a flexible dieter! I have been for about a year and a half now. No more obsessing, feeling guilty, feeling restricted, and making progress. You hear this line all the time about "diets" but this REALLY is a life style! I cannot imagine ever going back!

I *USED* to be a "clean" eater (cringe) do great Mon-Fri then binge all weekend. NO more roller coaster and guilt trips for me! IIFYM FTW!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Is it like having a cheat meal once a week?
    Sorry,but I have tried to look info on this,I try to cover my macros properly, with food not too high on sodium ( had kidney stones and what not ) I do avoid sugar unless it's fruits and eh stuff like that, but once a week I choose to eat something I usually wouldn't,that is still ok for me and yeah. Is that flexible?

• DeeJayShank
    Options

l1cidzpmqhvu.gif

If I am 100 pounds overweight, new to this site, and I read a post that says "you can lose a lot of weight with IIFYM, try it out, just make sure food fits your macros", and I continue to read this over and over again, it is simply going to reinforce a plan in my mind that lets me eat the same food I always ate before, but just less of it.

64078106.png

And what are your fitness and physique goals?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

l1cidzpmqhvu.gif

64078106.png

And what are your fitness and physique goals?
    My fitness goal is to run 10K on upper body and non-lifiting days and run 5K on leg days.

My physique goals are to maintain weight until August, then begin a slow bulk. Eventually, I'd like to be about 235-240 with somewhere around 10% BF, maybe a little less if I want to cut going into summer.

This discussion has been closed.