"exercise" for 250+ lbs people (100+ to lose)

So clearly, at 290 I can not, and probably shouldn't even attempt, many of the "recommended workouts.". Yes, there's walking... And I've gotten on the bicycle (it's so fun to have people call you a fatass as they drive by), but what are y'all doing? I'm looking for some variety... Thanks!

Replies

• Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm over 300. I walk (fast), swim, and strength train. Sometimes I take a class like Zumba. I have trouble keeping up with the moves but I keep going and do what I can.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I started with swimming at 300 pounds.

Then I added more walking, then weight lifting, then more intense cardio.

By 250, I was doing Zumba and keeping up just fine.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    From someone who was once 277 lbs, consider brisk walking or calisthenics. YouTube has some 15 minute workouts for home that require no equipment. I would suggest no more than 30 minutes of either of the above, at least 2 times a week, depending on your energy levels. When you start losing more, you can consider doing more.
  • Bearoniman
    Bearoniman Posts: 50 Member
    For me when I started trying to seriously loose weight at around 324 the exercise that I started off with was simply the elliptical for increasing amounts of time
    Just increasing the overall time on the machine by five minutes at a time till i was at 30 mins or 45 mins up to an hour, the machine only allowed you to go an hour with a 5 min warm-down, but it was the starting point for me
    Good luck in your weight-loss journey :)
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member

I have a question about your swimming. What Did you do? Just laps? I'm getting to a point where I can't do my speed walking because of a problem with my leg so I need to spend more time in the pool. All I do so far is laps, but is that enough?
  • WheelingGirls
    WheelingGirls Posts: 14 Member
    Go to the any gym with a treadmill, put it on max incline and walk for 40 minutes or so (not fast). I do it for my cardio and in 40 minutes you can burn about 500 calories just by walking.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    I'm currently 273lbs, starting from 297. I'm losing all my weight by calorie deficit, it's slower but works. If you feel your body can handle the workouts it wouldn't hurt to try. I don't workout because my back is still messed up from a car accident last year and one side of my hip bone is smaller causing it to pinch nerves in my lower back.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Eve53 wrote: »

I have a question about your swimming. What Did you do? Just laps? I'm getting to a point where I can't do my speed walking because of a problem with my leg so I need to spend more time in the pool. All I do so far is laps, but is that enough?
    Lap swimming is great. I swim and hour once a week. Swimming burns a lot of calories.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Get a FitBit. A great way to burn more calories in a day is to simply be more active all the time in addition to some structured walking or other exercise. The FitBit really motivates a lot of people. And it helps determine your calorie expenditure throughout the day, which helps you determine an appropriate deficit to eat at.

Good luck, I started at 240.
  • thegreatmd
    thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
    Gym, and pool, are out. Too expensive for this job-seeker! I do have a fitbit. Sometimes it's more frustrating than motivating (an hour bike ride shows up as like 1,200 steps) but I'm on it. :)

I did just see a simple idea i might try; committing to x squats every time I take a bathroom break... Though I loathe squats.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited July 2015
    Check out JessicaSmithTV - she has her own site plus a Youtube channel. She has a BUNCH of walking videos that you might really like.

ETA: these are completely free :)
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    When I restarted my weight loss again about a month ago, I was 344lbs. I started walking around the neighborhood, and doing walk away the pounds video excercise, that are free on YouTube. There's a bit of free work out on you tube as some one already said. Also if you have a Wii, you can get the dance wii game thing and just dance along with the game for 20 minutes or however long you can. Dancing is fun with the Wii. I hurt my back and knees, so I have issues with pain, but I find that it does help the pain when I work out, even if for just 5 or 10 minutes, because it's getti the body to move a bit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I walked whatever distance as quickly as I could. Then went a little farther. And a little farther.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Sorry, you can exercise at any weight. I started at 280+ pounds and started very simply. Just walking on a treadmill. Then started adding inclines and more speed. The first time I got on an elliptical, I couldn't do it but I tried again and again. Now I can go 60 minutes if I want. I ride my bike regularly. I do things like TurboFire. I took a free class at my gym and while I was one of the biggest in the class, I was CLEARLY the most fit. Fitness doesn't happen overnight, but there's no reason why you can't do something simple like walk.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    thegreatmd wrote: »
    Gym, and pool, are out. Too expensive for this job-seeker! I do have a fitbit. Sometimes it's more frustrating than motivating (an hour bike ride shows up as like 1,200 steps) but I'm on it. :)

I did just see a simple idea i might try; committing to x squats every time I take a bathroom break... Though I loathe squats.

Careful with squats at your weight. I was almost the same when I started and they caused some knee pain. Not saying don't do them - just get educated about the proper form, stop if your knees start having issues, and/or think about doing ball squats against a wall.

As for exercise, I think you're doing great with walking and biking. I would recommend adding some weights in there too. Free weights usually cost about $1/lb, so they're not too bad. Once again though, make sure you google the proper form for any exercises you choose to add. Getting an injury would definitely put a damper on things.
  • zidine100
    zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
    thegreatmd wrote: »
    And I've gotten on the bicycle (it's so fun to have people call you a fatass as they drive by)

While this isn't really on topic, I just wanted to say for every person who calls you that when they go by there are umpteen more cheering you on in their head. Dont let the vocal minority get you down.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    For the walking and biking maybe look for more interesting places to go. It'll give you some variety and maybe get away from the *ssholes shouting out of car windows. Nature trails in state or national parks can be very pretty walks. Rail trails are great for walking and biking.
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    I do weight training 3 times a week. It works up a huge sweat. Just eating better and weight training has had me losing about 3lbs per week. Don't underestimate yourself...I do TurboJam videos (and do them well) and can do cardio machines no problem...even though I'm over 300lbs.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Go to the any gym with a treadmill, put it on max incline and walk for 40 minutes or so (not fast). I do it for my cardio and in 40 minutes you can burn about 500 calories just by walking.

Rotfl....sorry but 40 min on max incline. You've got to be kidding. I started out at 254 and did the treadmill at 2.5mph at 0 incline for 15 min and I was counting the seconds until I could stop. OP just take it slow and build up as you are more able. A fitbit is a good idea as it just makes you get up and walk more often.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

Rotfl....sorry but 40 min on max incline. You've got to be kidding. I started out at 254 and did the treadmill at 2.5mph at 0 incline for 15 min and I was counting the seconds until I could stop. OP just take it slow and build up as you are more able. A fitbit is a good idea as it just makes you get up and walk more often.

OMG - yes, this! Trust me, the last thing you want to do is strain yourself too early with too much exercise. At my highest weight (very close to your current weight), I could only do 3.0 mph without any incline for 20 minutes - and that was with having remained active during my weight gain. It might be a little bit of trial and error.

Push yourself, but don't do anything that's going to lead to injury or burnout. And while you're figuring it all out, work on eating at a healthy, sustainable deficit. This will help you lose while you're still working out your game.