Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Medically speaking, no. Carb addiction has not be verified as real.

That being said, carbs affect people in ways that fats and proteins don't, and can be linked to cravings and over eating in some people. No kid ever cries for another steak or an extra pat of butter on their veggies. They do cry over lollipops and pop. Carbs, high sugar carbs especially, are different.

Carbs DO do something to some people. Those with insulin resitsance (T2 diabetes) may well feel greater hunger due to their different hormone levels. I think they may be affected the most by carbs.

IMO, carbs are not technically an addiction (for some people) but it appears to not be benign for everyone either.

I have a difficult time moderating carbs. I am also prediabetic and have other health issues, so I chose to go very low carb. For me there was a period of around 10 days or so of adjustment (keto flu as lemurcat said). Once I got through that my distracting carb cravings were virtually gone, and I know I didn't just break a habit as it takes longer for that.

Talking about carbs as an addiction is stirring the hornets' nest around here... Good luck. ;)

Clearly, you've never met my kid. She would, and has cried over not getting enough butter! Give her a choice between a good steak and a lollipop, steak will win every time.

This was me as a kid (okay, not the crying bit). But when I was maybe 10 I recall going to a steak place and getting a steak from the regular menu and my dad saying don't worry, she'll eat it, when the waitress tried to steer me to something else.

I liked the potato and the mushrooms too, but the steak was the thing for me, always. I also ADORED salmon.

It's a wonder I wasn't fat until much later given how much steak I could put down.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Adult Mixed grill at the Turkish restaurant for my boy since he was 8

She likes dairy

Both choose rice over fries
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    For those who find carbs to be a particular issue, do you still try to hit suggested fiber targets, while minimizing your carb intake?

Yes, I was 2 grams away from hitting fiber yesterday.

(It's not all carbs that are an issue, more high glycemic load foods.)

But I thought we established that you didn't minimize carbs.
    It would depend on what you eat. You can eat high-carb and low-fiber.

Oh, I agree, but I thought the question was directed to low carb types.

For the record, I don't have an issue meeting fiber targets, but I'm not low carb. ;-)
    Did you edit the fiber question out or did I misread? Was there a question about fiber?

I now meet fiber goals without even trying. I have a couple micros I need work on and probably should eat more protein, but I'm getting very close to the healthy, well-balanced diet I strive for.

Now I'm confused, but no worries. ;-)
    I thought there was a fiber, question there. I'm sorry. I never would've brought it up if I hadn't thought that.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For those who find carbs to be a particular issue, do you still try to hit suggested fiber targets, while minimizing your carb intake?

No, I don't find the evidence for the ever increasing recommendations for fiber or even fruits and vegetables to be particularly compelling so it's not a concern. I do think fruits and vegetables are healthful though so using fiber as a proxy for that I'm pretty satisfied with getting around 10g a day.

Say what?!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I've done lowered carbs, lowered fat, etc..

For me, keeping the caloric deficit the same, and generally eating the same daily caloric intake, I saw not difference in weight loss - though i lost weight in each case. The constant in each case was the caloric deficit, and that allowed me to lose weight. Nothing worked faster or better for me. Also, I gained back exactly the same when I stop trying the different eating plans. Now, I personally felt like I had less energy at times on low carbs. I also hated cutting out fats and while I like protein rich food a lot, I love me breads and grains.

I dunno. Go with what you think works I guess.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »

No, I don't find the evidence for the ever increasing recommendations for fiber or even fruits and vegetables to be particularly compelling so it's not a concern. I do think fruits and vegetables are healthful though so using fiber as a proxy for that I'm pretty satisfied with getting around 10g a day.

Say what?!

They based their dietary guidelines on inconsistent and weak studies at best, in my non-expert opinion. So I choose to rely on my own good judgement as to what constitutes a healthful diet instead.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    ...I don't believe carbs or any food are "addictive", but I think a lot of people have confused strong cravings with actual addiction. And for reasons I can't understand, some folks seem really dedicated to calling themselves "addicts" when in reality they're in the category of what I'd consider to be "problem eaters" or "problem drinkers". Because of that, I feel the term "addiction" has been pretty well co-opted and even trivialized by over-use and inappropriate use. And that's a shame because it muddies the water when trying to discuss interventions, behavior change strategies, and treatments. But I think we're stuck with the way people use the word now.

How would you differentiate a problem drinker from an addict?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    The science on carb addiction is inconclusive at this point. It hasn't been 100% proven and it is a controversial subject. However, many academics who have spent their entire careers looking at these types of issues believe it may be real. That is why the research continues...more information is needed. In the meantime, experiment and find what works best for you. For some people, including me, avoiding certain carbs is the best and most sustainable way to go. But it's not for everyone.

My research reading and experience backs up your thoughts on the subject.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The science on carb addiction is inconclusive at this point. It hasn't been 100% proven and it is a controversial subject. However, many academics who have spent their entire careers looking at these types of issues believe it may be real. That is why the research continues...more information is needed. In the meantime, experiment and find what works best for you. For some people, including me, avoiding certain carbs is the best and most sustainable way to go. But it's not for everyone.

Some of the more recent research i have seen would suggest that it isnt carbs that are addictive but rather hyperpalatble foods. I believe their is assertion is that many of the foods people claim to be addicited to isnt a sugar food but rather a food that is both fat and sugar. And in many cases those are foods (cookies, cake, etc) which are actually higher in fat than sugar itself.

If we objectively looked at this, if it was just a sugar issue, they why arent people addicted to fruits and veggies?

IMO, most of these so called "addiction foods" are more than likely peoples comfort foods that they have developed a habit of turning to when sad. This is why i have always said its more emotional than physical. And this is why i believe its different than alcohol and drugs because your body can form physical dependencies on those.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Some of the more recent research i have seen would suggest that it isnt carbs that are addictive but rather hyperpalatble foods. I believe their is assertion is that many of the foods people claim to be addicited to isnt a sugar food but rather a food that is both fat and sugar. And in many cases those are foods (cookies, cake, etc) which are actually higher in fat than sugar itself.

If we objectively looked at this, if it was just a sugar issue, they why arent people addicted to fruits and veggies?

IMO, most of these so called "addiction foods" are more than likely peoples comfort foods that they have developed a habit of turning to when sad. This is why i have always said its more emotional than physical. And this is why i believe its different than alcohol and drugs because your body can form physical dependencies on those.

I think it's insulin resistance that's driving the cravings and loss of control in a lot of these instances for a lot of people. My cravings, insatiable appetite and out of control eating get switched off like a light switch eating low carb -- that's not emotional or an addiction (even though it feels like it). It could also explain why when some people lose weight and exercise (both improve IR) they "learn moderation".
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I think it's insulin resistance that's driving the cravings and loss of control in a lot of these instances for a lot of people. My cravings, insatiable appetite and out of control eating get switched off like a light switch eating low carb -- that's not emotional or an addiction (even though it feels like it). It could also explain why when some people lose weight and exercise (both improve IR) they "learn moderation".
    I lost weight because I "learned moderation." I didn't "learn moderation" because I lost weight. That completely switches cause and effect. Maybe that works differently for other people.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »

I don't believe carbs or any food are "addictive", but I think a lot of people have confused strong cravings with actual addiction. And for reasons I can't understand, some folks seem really dedicated to calling themselves "addicts" when in reality they're in the category of what I'd consider to be "problem eaters" or "problem drinkers". Because of that, I feel the term "addiction" has been pretty well co-opted and even trivialized by over-use and inappropriate use. And that's a shame because it muddies the water when trying to discuss interventions, behavior change strategies, and treatments. But I think we're stuck with the way people use the word now.

I absolutely agree with this.

Yes, so do I.

I think the issue is as much compulsive behaviour which people confuse with addiction (but actually isn't). When I see someone say they are "addicted" to certain food items I assume this is what they are describing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    IR is likely related to how some people experience it, I think. Not for me, but that's my theory for why low carb makes a difference for many too.

What Psulemon says is consistent with what I've read as well. NOT that I think it's truly an addiction--supposedly the food that scored highest as an issue on the Yale Addiction thing is pizza, and there's nothing about the components of pizza that makes it unique, and of course it's a combination of fat, carbs, and salty stuff generally. (It's also not inherently super "processed"--the pizza I mostly eat and crave is from an Italian restaurant and similar to homemade but with a really good pizza oven.)

I did find that changing how I ate helped me feel more in control, but I think I had enough awareness that I was eating stupidly (for me) when I was doing it that the physical aspects weren't perceived by me as something wrong with me, specifically--I knew I was eating carby stuff for the quick energy and then crashing, and similarly I knew I was eating stuff for self comfort and that was inducing a habit that caused me to want what I was used to having at certain times. (I'm not IR and wasn't then, based on all relevant tests, so I imagine the effect on actual hunger would be more significant if one was. I don't see hunger as similar to addiction at all, though.)

The habit stuff was more significant for me than the physical stuff (and is much harder to deal with), and I really think that is what makes it feel more out of control for most people. (This is related to the comfort food cravings too, of course.)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I lost weight because I "learned moderation." I didn't "learn moderation" because I lost weight. That completely switches cause and effect. Maybe that works differently for other people.

I think you're misunderstanding what AlabasterVerve is suggesting. The theory is that IR impacts cravings, and by reducing carbs, the cravings are reduced, allowing the person to be successful with their weight loss. As we know, weight loss improves IR, meaning that once someone is a healthy weight and no longer dealing with the IR, they find themselves able to moderate foods that previously they found themselves overeating.

I don't know how much scientific support there is for this, but it's an interesting idea, and could help explain why moderation is more difficult for some people. @AlabasterVerve, did you read this somewhere, or is this just you positing this idea?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I think you're misunderstanding what AlabasterVerve is suggesting. The theory is that IR impacts cravings, and by reducing carbs, the cravings are reduced, allowing the person to be successful with their weight loss. As we know, weight loss improves IR, meaning that once someone is a healthy weight and no longer dealing with the IR, they find themselves able to moderate foods that previously they found themselves overeating.

I don't know how much scientific support there is for this, but it's an interesting idea, and could help explain why moderation is more difficult for some people. @AlabasterVerve, did you read this somewhere, or is this just you positing this idea?
    I don't misunderstand it. I said I was able to moderate, which lead to the weight loss, rather than the weight loss leading to my ability to moderate. And I said it may work differently for other people.

• AlabasterVerve
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

No, it's not new. The earliest reference to it I've found so far is from 1993 (I posted this earlier):

"It is proposed that chronic hyperinsulinemia is largely responsible for hunger, cravings and weight gain observed in many obese. This form of obesity can be treated by decreasing frequency of daily intake of carbohydrates to one well-balance meal each day and allowing for additional meals that are low in fat, low carbohydrates and high fiber. Animal experimentation and epidemiological evidence support the role of chronic hyperinsulinemia as a major factor in obesity and accounts for the frequent failures of diet and behavioral modification programs. Chronic hyperinsulinemia upsets metabolic balances and favors anabolic metabolism; fosters carbohydrate cravings; promotes insulin resistance which further promotes anabolic metabolism; and insulin resistance in turn exacerbates chronic hyperinsulinemia. This vicious cycle maintains excess weight and defeats diet and behavioral modification attempts to treat obesity. An eating program focused on reduction of chronic hyperinsulinemia coupled with appropriate exercise and behavior modification can successfully and permanently bring down cravings, hunger and body weight." --Hyperinsulinemic obesity and carbohydrate addiction: the missing link is the carbohydrate frequency factor

ETA: I really have no idea how mainstream any of these theories are since most everything I read on the subject comes through those who favor low carb.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

This seems to be true for me. I had some IR, and it is simpler for me when I am away from carbs.

Dr Bernstein, a diabetes specialist, seems to support this theory.