Trouble with rest days

Options
I can't remember if I posted something like this before, I'm sure the topic has come up so forgive me if I am duplicating.

Just wondering if anyone else has a real problem with rest days. I made a commitment to decrease the amount of exercise I do, increase my calories and really commit to an actual rest day. In the past my rest days consisted of just one class (between a 300-500 calorie burn), vs. over a thousand. But I know that I have to have a real rest from cardio, cross fit, MMA and weight lifting. I know I am never giving my body the time to truly recover and I am not re-feeding or anything like that. I've been trying to work in "active" rest days where I don't work out but will take my pup on a long walk... like an hour or so to at least get the steps in.

The problem I have is I don't physically feel like I need to rest! I struggle with forcing myself to not workout or go for a run or lift, etc.

Do we absolutely have to have a rest day?

I used to just keep going until my body told me it needed the rest... I'd have a day where I felt like I had cement blocks on my feet legit! That would become my rest day. It wasn't planned.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    My thought is that you're going to continue to ignore what everyone has told you on numerous threads and continue to rationalize what you're doing.

If you're not going to listen, asking the question holds little value.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends on your schedule and fueling. You def need rest days from lifting. You can get away without a rest day if you alternate lifting days with cardio days, and get adequate nutrition.

What does your current workout schedule look like and what are you thinking of adding instead of the rest day?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you don't set a regular rest day, your body will start telling you it needs time off more often.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My thought is that you're going to continue to ignore what everyone has told you on numerous threads and continue to rationalize what you're doing.

This. I don't believe that you're necessarily a good judge of when your body needs a rest based on the thought content you've expressed in some of your other threads. I understand missing the endorphins from the workout but it shouldn't be as hard as it seems to be for you to actually fuel and rest your body properly.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I workout probably 5-6 days a week and I always go bonkers on my rest days. I am super restless and usually end up CLEANING ALL THE THINGS. But I don't do anything super strenuous, because rest days are truly important.

Think of it this way: you could either have a rest day, or a crash week. Which would be kinder to your body?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Almost every mechanical thing made has a duty cycle

Your body is an organic machine

It has a duty cycle that includes rest

Ignore that to your own detriment.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    A lot of good points. I'd rather have a rest day than a crash week that's for sure!

My current schedule...
    Monday through Saturday I get 30 to 60 minutes of cardio (running or dance). Monday I practice MMA which is 30 cross fit (calisthenics) and 30 boxing drills. Tuesday is zumba toning AM and traditional latin dance PM. Wednesday is traditional latin dance AM and MMA PM. Thursday (used to be 60 minute run and either spin or MMA PM) Friday morning I take a wavemaster skills class. Saturday morning is 60 minutes cardio and one hour MMA. Sunday morning is a wavemaster skills class. My lift days are typically Thursday, Saturday and Monday with two days off in between. So my thought process was for Thursday do nothing strenuous... maybe some cleaning, a walk here and there, light core, definitely a beach or water front walk with my dog in the afternoon. I do change up my classes/exercises and routines as well and cross fit / MMA is never quite the same.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

QFT

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Rest day means just that - rest. Not 'light exercise', or 'less exercise', but rest. You ask, but then say you're still going to exercise, after you're told you should actually rest. If you really are asking for help, then take the advice, and take a day off. You've been here before, and you know there's a problem. Actually rest for a day. Watch a movie or read a book. Sip some tea. Learn to enjoy relaxation. It's important to be able to do that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For me it's the psychological as well as the physiological issue in your lifestyle that is intensely concerning

You already know the importance of eating adequate calories and taking rest days, neither of which you do

But your psychological need to "get your steps in" on rest day is symptomatic of your overall mental health issues

I'm posting this, not because I believe you are going to listen, but just to be clear to anyone else who is on the same path

If your body was a car you wouldn't keep driving it for miles and miles on fuel vapours with no oil in the tank every single day without any maintenance and expect it to be a great little runner

I don't know how else to convince you to seek professional help
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

Right, and that's not normal - so maybe it's time to talk to someone about how you're feeling and your relationship with exercise/food. It can't hurt, right? :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I read an article that compared pro cyclists to normal cyclists. A normal cyclist has an off day and doesn't ride a bicycle. A pro cyclist rides fifteen miles on an off day. According to the article, you recover better by doing some activity, just not as much as you normally do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rest is where recovery happens...recovery is where you make fitness gains. i don't look at as I do or do not need rest because of some arbitrary feeling...i look at rest days as an integral part of improving my fitness and letting my body recover. over-train injuries suck and you'll be on you *kitten* for more than a day when that eventually happens...and it will...ask me how i know.

you almost sound like an exercise bulimic rather than someone who actually wants to be healthy and fit.
    Exercise bulimia is a subset of the psychological disorder called bulimia in which a person is compelled to exercise in an effort aimed at burning the calories of food energy and fat reserves to an excessive level that negatively affects their health.

you should maybe get some help with that...it's not a healthy mindset at all.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I read an article that compared pro cyclists to normal cyclists. A normal cyclist has an off day and doesn't ride a bicycle. A pro cyclist rides fifteen miles on an off day. According to the article, you recover better by doing some activity, just not as much as you normally do.

Are you paying attention? This woman needs help to not push herself. Perhaps you should read everything in the thread before posting.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Are you paying attention? This woman needs help to not push herself. Perhaps you should read everything in the thread before posting.

While worded poorly, I think he was saying that a light walk would be fine if she can't handle being completely inactive, but to not do more than that. I could be wrong.

OP, I agree with @cwolfman13. Over use injuries are common and take a LONG time to heal from. If you can't "scare" yourself into taking rest days using that train of thought then my next suggestion is to practice meditation on your rest day. Lay down completely still in a quiet place and picture every muscle in your body resting and repairing and consider this your "mental" workout. Rationalize that by being inactive ONE day a week (to begin with) will allow you to continue to keep up with your current activity schedule. If not, at some point, it WILL catch up to you.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For me it's the psychological as well as the physiological issue in your lifestyle that is intensely concerning

You already know the importance of eating adequate calories and taking rest days, neither of which you do

But your psychological need to "get your steps in" on rest day is symptomatic of your overall mental health issues

I'm posting this, not because I believe you are going to listen, but just to be clear to anyone else who is on the same path

If your body was a car you wouldn't keep driving it for miles and miles on fuel vapours with no oil in the tank every single day without any maintenance and expect it to be a great little runner

I don't know how else to convince you to seek professional help

ALL.OF.THIS.RIGHT.HERE!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would also add that a rest day doesn't mean you have to just sit on your *kitten*...I have a 3 y.o. and a 5 y.o. at home...there's no such thing as sitting on my *kitten* doing nothing. On my rest days I still take the dog for a walk...I will still walk around the zoo with my kids...I will still play with them at the park. I'm just resting from deliberate, moderate to vigorous exercise.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days