When you start working out why stall?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    You may be dropping fat but building muscle now. If you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle it won't show on the scale. Also your cells hold water during strong workouts. I suggest work out 3 or 4 days then walk 2 days

Ahhh NO. It doesn't work that way. Gaining muscle is very hard work!

OP, you're retaining water while the muscles repair. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You may be dropping fat but building muscle now. If you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle it won't show on the scale. Also your cells hold water during strong workouts. I suggest work out 3 or 4 days then walk 2 days

OP, you're retaining water while the muscles repair. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.

Gaining muscle in the first few weeks/months after starting is incredibly easy if you're doing the right things. Not a lot, but you will do it.

EDIT: Although if you're starving your body on a drastic deficit, then yes, it will be hard.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, when you're losing weight, you can play with the following things: Duration of exercise, exertion during exercise, and type of exercise. Your body adapts as it changes so if you expect to do the same thing through your weight loss journey, when your body adapts everything will stop. That's what an earlier poster meant about reaching equilibrium. I would ask my trainer to change up the workout. Add more weight, do intervals when you're on the arc trainer. Go hard (it should be hard to talk while doing this) for about a minute or whatever you can do, then slow down for an equal amount of time, and then repeat this pattern until the end of your total planned cardio time.

Food-wise you have some things you can experiment with too. Fuel mix (% of Carbs, Protein, and Fats), and number of calories consumed are the most prominent two. Most people who aren't training for something typically end up with 40-50% of their daily intake as carbohydrates, 20-30% Protein, and the rest of it as healthy fats. So take a look at the Nutrition charts here on MFP and see where you are now. Then perhaps take a shot at adding more Protein and cutting back on the carbohydrates.

To lose weight, you basically have to continuously be in a state where you are burning more calories than you're eating. Start measuring and weighing what you eat to be sure that your portion sizes haven't crept up and see where it leads you. I'd also have a talk with the nutritionist as well, let them know how much time you spend working out. It might be possible that you're consuming too few calories when your activity levels are figured in.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I don't know your specifics, but it's also possible that you've reached equilibrium. (calories in = calories out)

Remember, your daily caloric maintenance needs will go down as you lose weight. Need to adjust accordingly.

My nutritionist told me 1100 calories... and I stick with it....for now.

I don't know how much you weigh, but if you've got 44 pounds to go I'm guessing you're north of 150 pounds.

1,100 just doesn't seem like enough calories for someone who's in the gym on a daily basis.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    1100 calories. You need to eat a bit more, at least 1200 calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »

Gaining muscle in the first few weeks/months after starting is incredibly easy if you're doing the right things. Not a lot, but you will do it.

EDIT: Although if you're starving your body on a drastic deficit, then yes, it will be hard.

There is newbie gains, but that would be much much much less than 10lbs over a short period of time while eating at a deficit.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Another vote for water retention.

2 weeks really isn't that long, so I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's frustrating when the scale doesn't move - I've been there. Keep in mind that weight loss isn't always linear, meaning that the number on the scale might not always move down every time. Sometimes the number on the scale will go up a little bit before it goes down, and sometimes it may stay the same for a little while. This doesn't mean that you're not losing fat, it just means that there are also other things going on.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated, as this will help minimize water retention. :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    You may be dropping fat but building muscle now. If you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle it won't show on the scale.

Wait for it...

aaaaand there it is :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options

By walking you mean cardio?
    I really really like the arc trainer. Treadmills are out. They bore me. :)

There is ... outside.

• ajnb88
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

By walking you mean cardio?
    I really really like the arc trainer. Treadmills are out. They bore me. :)

There is ... outside.

Out...side?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Newbie gains and they aren't going to be 10 pounds in a deficit where someone lost 53 pounds. That train leaves the station pretty quick sometimes.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

There is ... outside.
    No! There be wolves! And bugs...

My vote is for watching your food calories more closely; everything (butter, dressing, drinks, veggies, etc) counts.
  • ChanceyTx
    ChanceyTx Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »

There is ... outside.
    No! There be wolves! And bugs...

My vote is for watching your food calories more closely; everything (butter, dressing, drinks, veggies, etc) counts.

I watch everything that I eat. I stopped all sodas in December. I stopped drinking everything but water 2 months ago. I rarely have butter etc.
    I am dedicated. Not some fly by night fattie that wants to be hot. I am losing weight for me.
    I was running one day and I tore my plantar fascia in half. It was the worst thing ever. I couldn't walk for over a year. I had to have surgery to finally be able to stand on my own two feet. During that time, I got lazy and gained. Now it's time to get back into shape and healthy.

I love outdoor stuff...I kayak and bike ride...well, I bike ride sometimes. I crashed and was humiliated. Lol
  • ajnb88
    Options

Newbie gains and they aren't going to be 10 pounds in a deficit where someone lost 53 pounds. That train leaves the station pretty quick sometimes.

10lbs, no. 2-3? Yes. I lost ~70lbs before I started lifting, and was still in a deficit when I did. As I said, I gained roughly 2.2-2.5lbs muscle, while losing 2.2lbs fat in the first month or so.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for over a year and still put on 4 lbs of water retention weight after a hard dead lift day.

Being new to hard and challenging lifting will take adjustment.

With the close watchful eye you have on your nutrition plan and consistent exercise program, it will settle and work out.

I like to eat maintenance level calories the day after hard workouts. And you are not even eating that much. Hmmm....

Just give it a little time for your body to get used to it.

I would think about eating more after heavy weight days. A little. Or cut back on intensity so you are not tearing muscle tissue down without adequate nutrition to build it back

Just a thought.

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had lost 40 lbs before I joined the gym 8-9 months ago. After joining and starting strength training, I gained weight the first week, and then stalled for the next 5-6 weeks. After my body adjusted to the new lifting routine, the weight started to come off again.

Google it, you'll see it is pretty common for weight loss to stall after starting any new fitness routine. It will start again. Be patient :smile:
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You may be dropping fat but building muscle now. If you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle it won't show on the scale.

Wait for it...

aaaaand there it is :smile:

I meant to say you cant do both at once so op would need to do strength one week or 4 days then cardio the next.. Op would need to increase calories during the workout sessions (for muscle) and decrease calories for cardio (fat burning).
  • ChanceyTx
    Options
    I had lost 40 lbs before I joined the gym 8-9 months ago. After joining and starting strength training, I gained weight the first week, and then stalled for the next 5-6 weeks. After my body adjusted to the new lifting routine, the weight started to come off again.

Google it, you'll see it is pretty common for weight loss to stall after starting any new fitness routine. It will start again. Be patient :smile:

Thank you!!!!
    I do have the patience thankfully - but I will add that I hope these next few weeks go by FAST!!!

AND GREAT JOB TO YOU!
  • ChanceyTx
    Options
    I have been lifting for over a year and still put on 4 lbs of water retention weight after a hard dead lift day.

Being new to hard and challenging lifting will take adjustment.

With the close watchful eye you have on your nutrition plan and consistent exercise program, it will settle and work out.

I like to eat maintenance level calories the day after hard workouts. And you are not even eating that much. Hmmm....

Just give it a little time for your body to get used to it.

I would think about eating more after heavy weight days. A little. Or cut back on intensity so you are not tearing muscle tissue down without adequate nutrition to build it back

Just a thought.

What do you mean by maintenance level calories?
    I get in about 70-90grams of protein per day...

When I do my weights - free weights they are only about 10-15 lbs each.
    And my leg presses are 90-100lbs
    Other stuff is about 30ish.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you lift a biit heavier,and I'd cut down the cardio a bit,oh well it's how I did it . 100 lbs for leg press seems very little then again I don't remember how much I did at first.