When you start working out why stall?

Options
13»

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I don't know your specifics, but it's also possible that you've reached equilibrium. (calories in = calories out)

Remember, your daily caloric maintenance needs will go down as you lose weight. Need to adjust accordingly.

My nutritionist told me 1100 calories... and I stick with it....for now.

This is not enough to sustain your routine with a healthy metabolism. You're probably suffering from metabolic suppression from severe under eating. Working out for 6 hours/week and eating UNDER the recommended minimum for anyone is not sustainable and can cause negative effects. Do you notice you have cold hands/feet (especially in FtW where it's 100 plus outside), irritability or even thinning hair?

Please come by the Eat More 2 Weigh Less (EM2WL) group and check out the stickies.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less

From your neighbor in Fort Worth!
  • ChanceyTx
    ChanceyTx Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I will check it out...but will say it's kinda confusing when a nutritionist tells me one thing and you are trying to tell me another.
    I'm perplexed :/

I do not get irritable but I do get cold sometimes...but not outside... my hair is pretty dang good but I take vitamins!

I will look more into it as I stated.....
    I appreciate
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I will check it out...but will say it's kinda confusing when a nutritionist tells me one thing and you are trying to tell me another.

I apologize for the confusion. Also I AM NOT a registered dietitian or nutritionist! That being said a lot of nutritionist are not "registered dietitians" and in some states cannot even give nutrition counseling for pay without the certification. I know that even the government says you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories per day and that number has increased, see here choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories-amount.html

Speaking of registered dietitians Laura Schoenfeld MPH, RD is and this is what she thinks about undereating.
    chriskresser.com/are-you-an-under-eater-8-signs-youre-not-eating-enough/

Not to mention the other eleventy-billion other results in the google machine that recommend 2000/day for 19-30 y/o SEDENTARY female. Which you are not sedentary.

Now some trainers/nutritionist will put you on a plan that says eat X amount of calories and then eat back half or 60% or 75% of your exercise calories. This is to keep you in a deficit but to keep you from a net intake of less than 1200, which is the considered base BMR for most people.

Or they prescribe to the narrative that bigger deficit bigger weight loss, but that isn't necessarily the case. bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

muscleforlife.com/the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight/

I'm not trying to discredit your nutritionist, but I just want to give you a different perspective that may help.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    You may be dropping fat but building muscle now. If you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle it won't show on the scale. Also your cells hold water during strong workouts. I suggest work out 3 or 4 days then walk 2 days

^^^This is absolutely not happening^^^

If you are in a deficit you are not gaining muscle. Period.

• ChanceyTx
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    You may be dropping fat but building muscle now. If you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle it won't show on the scale. Also your cells hold water during strong workouts. I suggest work out 3 or 4 days then walk 2 days

Can you explain what exactly a deficit is?
  • XavierNusum
    Options

When you are eating (taking in) less calories than your body is burning (going out).
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Sorry. I assumed since you had already lost quite a bit of weight you knew what a calorie deficit was. Being in a calorie deficit is how you lost the weight in the first place. A calorie deficit is the only thing that is absolutely required for weight loss to occur. Exercise is for fitness and body composition. I would suggest doing some research on calories in versus calories out.

• ChanceyTx
    Options
    I

Sorry. I assumed since you had already lost quite a bit of weight you knew what a calorie deficit was. Being in a calorie deficit is how you lost the weight in the first place. A calorie deficit is the only thing that is absolutely required for weight loss to occur. Exercise is for fitness and body composition. I would suggest doing some research on calories in versus calories out.

Just wanted to hear your version .
    From what I know, it's the difference in what you give as to what you take in.
  • ChanceyTx
    Options
    Xa

I apologize for the confusion. Also I AM NOT a registered dietitian or nutritionist! That being said a lot of nutritionist are not "registered dietitians" and in some states cannot even give nutrition counseling for pay without the certification. I know that even the government says you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories per day and that number has increased, see here choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories-amount.html

Speaking of registered dietitians Laura Schoenfeld MPH, RD is and this is what she thinks about undereating.
    chriskresser.com/are-you-an-under-eater-8-signs-youre-not-eating-enough/

Not to mention the other eleventy-billion other results in the google machine that recommend 2000/day for 19-30 y/o SEDENTARY female. Which you are not sedentary.

Now some trainers/nutritionist will put you on a plan that says eat X amount of calories and then eat back half or 60% or 75% of your exercise calories. This is to keep you in a deficit but to keep you from a net intake of less than 1200, which is the considered base BMR for most people.

Or they prescribe to the narrative that bigger deficit bigger weight loss, but that isn't necessarily the case. bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

muscleforlife.com/the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight/

I'm not trying to discredit your nutritionist, but I just want to give you a different perspective that may help.

Xavier,
    I am currently reading up on the info you have provided.
    The scooby link is telling me 1825 calories. Provided I have done it correctly.
    I am researching and trying to put this all together. I prefer it to soak in and learn before I do something drastic. And I don't mean drastic in a negative connotation :)

I am the sort that would prefer a class to sit and learn instead of reading, but I'll make it work :)

Reading the stickies and more!

• XavierNusum
    Options

Xavier,
    I am currently reading up on the info you have provided.
    The scooby link is telling me 1825 calories. Provided I have done it correctly.
    I am researching and trying to put this all together. I prefer it to soak in and learn before I do something drastic. And I don't mean drastic in a negative connotation :)

I am the sort that would prefer a class to sit and learn instead of reading, but I'll make it work :)

Reading the stickies and more!

I get what you're saying. Years of math, science and technical text books have killed my love of reading! :p

That's why technology and the internet are awesome. Check out the Half-size Me podcast episodes 80 & 81. It's a 2 part interview with the ladies that started the EM2WL movement which started right here as a MFP group.
    halfsizeme.com/category/podcast/

Also check out the EM2WL youtube channel where Kiki talks you through most of the basic tenants of the program.
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL09917F53B3B517FF
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvGykG4RmD...

Also if you want a more specific explanations check out the EM2WL group posts. I'm sure you'll find someone with similar stats and activity to see what info they were given. heybales is the resident smarty pants that gives all of the scientific answers. He is absolutely awesome and will answer question after question with the patience of a saint. Not like some of the gurus around these boards.

Anyway, take your time, don't rush into anything and feel free to ask me whatever questions you may have. If I don't know I'll tell you and try to direct you to someone who does.