Phase 1 - no sugars

Options

Replies

• katiadef
    katiadef Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    katiadef wrote: »
    After trying various 'easier' ways and failing horribly, i came across a blog on reducing one's daily sugar intake. I did the sugartest and came out totally shocked.
    So today I started my phase 1, no sugars whatsoever: no sweets, no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. Luckily I like veggies, schrimp, fish, chicken. I love to eat great salads and stir fries. So that is the easy part.
    Now the difficult part, how to eat at work, in a restaurant, at a party and avoidibg the prohibited food. Usually you get lots of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and only little vegetables. For work tomorow I prepared a lunchbox. Hope I won't forget it at 4 in the morning.
    Have a good night ...

Reducing sugars isn't very popular around here so it is difficult to find support. If you are eating low(er) carbohydrate consider trying the Low Carber Daily Forum. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group The people there are quite supportive of the LC choice, whether it is for a medical reason or just a personal choice.

Meat and veggies are a good place to start. I find I can easily fill my plate with those items. Nuts are a great snack food and eggs are a great food to pack (hardboiled).

Be aware that some people feel fatigued and headachey when they lower their sugars. If that happens to you, consider increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium for a while. Water too.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Most others are depressibg and demotivating. Not at all what I expected from a community. It is nice to feel supported and to get tips. I really appreciate it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    After trying various 'easier' ways and failing horribly, i came across a blog on reducing one's daily sugar intake. I did the sugartest and came out totally shocked.
    So today I started my phase 1, no sugars whatsoever: no sweets, no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. Luckily I like veggies, schrimp, fish, chicken. I love to eat great salads and stir fries. So that is the easy part.
    Now the difficult part, how to eat at work, in a restaurant, at a party and avoidibg the prohibited food. Usually you get lots of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and only little vegetables. For work tomorow I prepared a lunchbox. Hope I won't forget it at 4 in the morning.
    Have a good night ...

Reducing sugars isn't very popular around here so it is difficult to find support. If you are eating low(er) carbohydrate consider trying the Low Carber Daily Forum. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group The people there are quite supportive of the LC choice, whether it is for a medical reason or just a personal choice.

Meat and veggies are a good place to start. I find I can easily fill my plate with those items. Nuts are a great snack food and eggs are a great food to pack (hardboiled).

Be aware that some people feel fatigued and headachey when they lower their sugars. If that happens to you, consider increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium for a while. Water too.

Good luck!

my issue with this kind of stuff is, and she said it,...."no fruit" and the demonization of whole foods in general that seems to come with the low carb craze due to all carbs being lumped in together as the devil.

I totally get cutting back on junk and I think most people do too...but it seem most low carbers fail to recognize that there are a lot of very nutritious and healthy foods that also happen to be carbs and that carbs aren't the devil. Yeah, fruit has some sugar...and lot of other kick *kitten* antioxidants and other micro-nutrients.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    So you've tried several fad diets and failed, so you're starting another restrictive diet?

Good luck to you, and hopefully you find something that works. Personally, I like using MFP to calculate my daily calorie goal, and eating the foods I enjoy while hitting that goal. It has worked out for me, and it's something I've been able to stick to for the past several years.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Stop the FADS!!!!!!!!! ffs....
  • fernandaBush
    fernandaBush Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Salads and a kind of meat? Easy.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Vegetables have sugar in them, don't they?

ETA: https://blissreturned.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/fruits-and-vegetable-list-of-low-and-high-sugar-fruit-and-vegetable/

I don't see any vegetables that have no sugar.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I totally get cutting back on junk and I think most people do too...but it seem most low carbers fail to recognize that there are a lot of very nutritious and healthy foods that also happen to be carbs and that carbs aren't the devil. Yeah, fruit has some sugar...and lot of other kick *kitten* antioxidants and other micro-nutrients.

Not sure what your sample was but I find most low carbers are very familiar with carb contents and other nutrient properties - Atkins phase 1 is based on 20g of net carbs with 12-15g from a list of foundation vegetables - this is about a pound a day of veg.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Not sure what your sample was but I find most low carbers are very familiar with carb contents and other nutrient properties - Atkins phase 1 is based on 20g of net carbs with 12-15g from a list of foundation vegetables - this is about a pound a day of veg.

He read the OP?
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm basing it on the way people discuss these things on these boards..."I'm addicted to carbs...so gotta low carb"...then when it gets discussed, it's just cookies and cakes and chips and whatnot...I've never hear of anyone "addicted" to black beans or going off the rails because they had an apple...or jonesing for some oats...so there are a ton of people trying to low carb around here who know about jack *kitten*...they lump all carbs together...i mean really...there are like a gazillion extremely ignorant threads on the matter.

I'm also basing it on the people I see day in and day out at the gym who get on bored with some fad every couple of weeks...they don't actually know anything about nutrition...they just heard carbs were evil and the reason everyone is fat...so better cut carbs...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bit of a stretch from one poster to "most low carbers"
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bit of a stretch from one poster to "most low carbers"

one poster...how about a gazillion posters...

i also edited to include just about every dip *kitten* I run into at the gym. *kitten* dude...just go to the super market and pick up a magazine...carbs...all carbs are the devil....it's fecking stupid.

it's like people who go vegetarian because they think it is inherently better and will magically make them lose weight...lots of good reasons to go vegetarian...weight loss isn't one of them....I know quite a few fat *kitten* vegetarians.

there are reasons to do many things...but many people really seem to have no idea what those reasons are.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Can you link to the blog with this "sugar test" on it?

something tells me everyone fails that test...

I've never failed a test in my life and don't intend to start now! (Pssst, anyone got the answer key for this?)

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Have a good night ...

Good luck!

my issue with this kind of stuff is, and she said it,...."no fruit" and the demonization of whole foods in general that seems to come with the low carb craze due to all carbs being lumped in together as the devil.

This is starting to get old. No one said fruit was demonic here, I have blueberries set up for my dinner tonight and I'm one of the lowest carbers around here. I don't know of any health problems that are a direct result of reducing your sugars, or any other reason that would cause you to dislike other people's way of eating so much. Perhaps you should consider not participating in LC discussions since you seem to be so against them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Have a good night ...

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Most others are depressibg and demotivating. Not at all what I expected from a community. It is nice to feel supported and to get tips. I really appreciate it.

Yeah... I really don't understand why that is. Check out the Low Carber Daily forum. It really is much more supportive there.

Good luck.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Have a good night ...

Good luck!

This is starting to get old. No one said fruit was demonic here, I have blueberries set up for my dinner tonight and I'm one of the lowest carbers around here. I don't know of any health problems that are a direct result of reducing your sugars, or any other reason that would cause you to dislike other people's way of eating so much. Perhaps you should consider not participating in LC discussions since you seem to be so against them.

As pointed out before, the OP is refusing to eat fruit. It does seem a bit extreme to cut out fruit too since they are very nutrient dense. And they said "no sugar", which in theory would eliminate veggies too, which also does not healthy. Nothing wrong with low carb if that's what they want to do, but the way the OP is going about it doesn't seem like the healthiest diet in the world.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Have a good night ...

Good luck!

OP said in opening post that he is eliminating all fruits...he obviously must see something wrong with fruit then, right?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on sugar addiction: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10056950/the-truth-about-sugar-addiction-from-a-former-sugar-addict/p1

I'm past the point of it all being so very easy, but generally I can manage and fit in sweets into my daily/weekly diet.