Are you hitting your fiber macros and how important is it?

Options
124»

Replies

• petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh and those quest bars are awesome! Very high in fiber I actually just eat 1/2 a bar for a snack sometimes.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Fiber ... very important because it helps make you feel fuller longer.

I have been able to surpass my daily fiber by adding moderate amount of leafy greens to my lunch and an obnoxious amount to my dinner.

I do have to caution that some high fiber items may cause a feeling of bloating or gas. SO keep experimenting with different combinations of foods that's high in fiber (Google or the above poster's starter list) that you like & incorporate those into at least 2 of your 3 daily meals.

Best of luck!
  • mary251
    mary251 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Breakfast smoothies are the easiest way to up your fibre intake. They're also really quick and easy to make. I've not had as many recently, but when I have them, I make them the night before so that I can just grab it out of the fridge and go.

The best bit is that you can change it up so often that it's really hard to get bored of it, and it's so filling! A litre of smoothie will be both breakfast and lunch for me, and allow me a snack at about 3pm without having to worries about saving calories for dinner.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fiber ... very important because it helps make you feel fuller longer.

I have been able to surpass my daily fiber by adding moderate amount of leafy greens to my lunch and an obnoxious amount to my dinner.

I do have to caution that some high fiber items may cause a feeling of bloating or gas. SO keep experimenting with different combinations of foods that's high in fiber (Google or the above poster's starter list) that you like & incorporate those into at least 2 of your 3 daily meals.

Best of luck!

I agree! Be sure to drink plenty of water! I've found that eating a full quest bar will cause bloating/upset stomach. A glass of water and a 1/2 bar works great for my body.
  • raynereborn
    raynereborn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    personally I think that fiber is extremely important and can help reduce a lot of health risks (because it generally means that you are eating a high plant based diet) Most people only aim for 25 grams however cultures where north american health risks are nearly non-existent eat upwards of 100 grams daily. Some real "food for thought" in my opinion.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I checked, and that's one thing that I'm doing well at meeting or exceeding without too much thought. I eat brown rice and whole wheat breads, fruit, lentils, etc. The only importance I can think of with fibre is digestion, and I value that personally. But if your digestion is okay with less fibre I wouldn't fight it too hard. Definitely drink more water with fibre dense foods, because if you don't drink enough water with fibre than the opposite of helping digestion can happen.