Squats--1/2 way down or butt to ground? See pic

Options

Replies

• ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Agree with DopeItUp - 1/2 squats (only to parallel) make you look like some D-bag.
    Working on the flexibility to do the squat right is just part of the challenge. And of course you can 1/2 squat (go to parallel only) more - because you're doing exactly that, 1/2 the work.

I've learned if you think you're going to parallel, you're probably above parallel. If you think you're just below parallel, you're probably actually only at parallel. And if you think you're A2G, you're probably really just some degree below parallel.

Squat to something to let your butt bump it at your desired depth to ensure you hit your goal depth (while ensuring proper form)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ngagne wrote: »
    Agree with DopeItUp - 1/2 squats (only to parallel) make you look like some D-bag.
    Working on the flexibility to do the squat right is just part of the challenge. And of course you can 1/2 squat (go to parallel only) more - because you're doing exactly that, 1/2 the work.

I've learned if you think you're going to parallel, you're probably above parallel. If you think you're just below parallel, you're probably actually only at parallel. And if you think you're A2G, you're probably really just some degree below parallel.

Squat to something to let your butt bump it at your desired depth to ensure you hit your goal depth (while ensuring proper form)

lolok
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Read a recent study that notes there ARE indication of long term or short term injury or deterioration issues that can occur from going too far past parallel, as well as no additional activation of the muscle groups as well.

Summary:
    Overall, the squat exercise provides
    substantial and well-researched bene-
    fits. However, when considering the
    value of the deep squat, the risks
    appear to outweigh many of the
    potential benefits. Most significantly,
    patellofemoral injury does appear to be
    associated with deep knee flexion,
    which can predispose individuals to
    osteoarthritic changes in the articular
    cartilage beneath the patella. Also, it is
    important to note that electromyo-
    graphic activity across studies have
    indicated that peak muscle activity in
    the quadriceps, hamstrings, and gas-
    trocnemius fall within the range of the
    parallel squat and do not increase
    beyond parallel of flexion. This sug-
    gests that squatting below parallel will
    not increase muscle activation. Finally,
    consider what is functional for the
    individual and the sport, if deep
    squatting is not part of normal func-
    tioning, it may not be contributing to
    sport performance via specificity.

Are Deep Squats a Safe and Viable Exercise?
    Brad Schoenfeld, MSc, and Mary Williams, MA
    Exercise Science Department, CUNY Lehman College, Bronx, New York; and Athletic Training Education Program, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, Texas
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If you chose to front squat exclusively (and if you're not a PL, you could) then you could get plenty strong. Balance it out with decent posterior chain work and I don't see a problem.

No one (unless it is part of their sport) needs to do any lift.

Yeah I do deadlifts and RDLs and both heavy and mid-weight hip thrusts so I feel like I am covering my bases okay.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Uhmm... D-bag?

Bit strong, isn't it?
  • jimmmer
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you chose to front squat exclusively (and if you're not a PL, you could) then you could get plenty strong. Balance it out with decent posterior chain work and I don't see a problem.

No one (unless it is part of their sport) needs to do any lift.

Yeah I do deadlifts and RDLs and both heavy and mid-weight hip thrusts so I feel like I am covering my bases okay.

Yeah, sounds solid to me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Squatting all the way to calves (true ATG) could result in spinal flexion.

I get why you are suggesting that people think they squat deeper than they really are, but I would suggest they record or get a mirror versus just "going deeper".

It's not necessary to go much past parallel. You may get greater glute activation, but the quad activation past parallel isn't greater. The greatest stress to the knees is between 60-80 degrees. Hitting 90 degrees (parallel) is just fine for most lifters.

I'd rather see people hit parallel with a solid weight than go ATG with spinal flexion.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Uhmm... D-bag?

Bit strong, isn't it?

I've seen some guys go ATG and look horrible in the process.

Solid form to parallel is better than ego ATG.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Uhmm... D-bag?

Bit strong, isn't it?

Sure there's all kinds of horrible form out there, whatever type of squatting you do.

But calling someone a D-bag for squatting parallel seems a bit uncalled for, IMHO - that was my point.

• usmcmp
    Options

Uhmm... D-bag?

Bit strong, isn't it?

Sure there's all kinds of horrible form out there, whatever type of squatting you do.

But calling someone a D-bag for squatting parallel seems a bit uncalled for, IMHO - that was my point.

You're right. Calling someone a d-bag is uncalled for.

Powerlifters squat to parallel and not ATG, they aren't d-bags.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Uhmm... D-bag?

Bit strong, isn't it?

I don't think she is disagreeing with you.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Uhmm... D-bag?

Bit strong, isn't it?

I don't think she is disagreeing with you.

Reading is hard and it's past my bedtime!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I noticed a few people comment about having knee pain when squatting below parallel, but at or above parallel there are no problems.

The deeper you go, the more difficult it is to maintain external rotation. Once you lose external rotation, you lose knee stability - the knees collapse and no longer track over the toes correctly, then you get pain.

So most likely.. your strength at or above parallel is adequate enough to maintain external rotation/stability. But below parallel, which is more demanding, you are weak in that position and lose it.

But it may not be a strength/stability issue.. it could be a mobility issue or even both.

Bret Contreras has a great article on the subject:

http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    I noticed a few people comment about having knee pain when squatting below parallel, but at or above parallel there are no problems.

The deeper you go, the more difficult it is to maintain external rotation. Once you lose external rotation, you lose knee stability - the knees collapse and no longer track over the toes correctly, then you get pain.

So most likely.. your strength at or above parallel is adequate enough to maintain external rotation/stability. But below parallel, which is more demanding, you are weak in that position and lose it.

But it may not be a strength/stability issue.. it could be a mobility issue or even both.

Bret Contreras has a great article on the subject:

http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

That's good because I don't think most people realize how big of a role the ankle muscles (tibialis & calves basically) play the squat. I've actually seen EMG studies that show higher peak activation in the calves than in the quads during the concentric, rather interesting; I know would never have guessed that.

• skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My husband has very tight hip flexors and longer femurs, and he's just uncomfortable with the squat motion in general, but he still tries none the less; I would hate to think that someone seeing him "1/2 squat" moderate weight while trying to work on mobility and flexibility would think he's a "D-bag," ..that's just ignorant.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    My husband has very tight hip flexors and longer femurs, and he's just uncomfortable with the squat motion in general, but he still tries none the less; I would hate to think that someone seeing him "1/2 squat" moderate weight while trying to work on mobility and flexibility would think he's a "D-bag," ..that's just ignorant.

Nobody thinks that. Normally you get that label if you're lifting ridiculous amounts of weight with minimal ROM. Anything less than parallel defeats the purpose of the movement and puts MORE stress on the knees by leaving out the posterior chain muscles.

huffingtonpost.com/mark-rippetoe/squats-lifting-knees_b_4490749.html

stronglifts.com/10-tips-to-stop-your-knees-from-popping-and-cracking/

biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die
  • LolBroScience
    Options

skeo wrote: »

Nobody thinks that. Normally you get that label if you're lifting ridiculous amounts of weight with minimal ROM. Anything less than parallel defeats the purpose of the movement and puts MORE stress on the knees by leaving out the posterior chain muscles.

huffingtonpost.com/mark-rippetoe/squats-lifting-knees_b_4490749.html

stronglifts.com/10-tips-to-stop-your-knees-from-popping-and-cracking/

biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

She does
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I'm really assuming she's talking about the guy with 4 or 5 plates on a bar barely unhinging the hips. People who are taking the time to lift at a weight that promotes using good form don't fall into that category.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    There are people who squat shallow because they don't know better or don't realize that's what they are doing.

There are well educated lifters who squat shallow for good reasons and they get good results.

The parallel squat is standard developed by powerlifters for powerlifters. It's not necessarily best.

For many, deep squats are useless for quad activation. ATG squats deload the quads and they lag in development.

Olympic weightlifters often use very shallow squats in their training. ATG squats are only specific to one sport, Olympic weightlifting.

Most sports benefit more from partial range of motion.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    There are people who squat shallow because they don't know better or don't realize that's what they are doing.

There are well educated lifters who squat shallow for good reasons and they get good results.

The parallel squat is standard developed by powerlifters for powerlifters. It's not necessarily best.

For many, deep squats are useless for quad activation. ATG squats deload the quads and they lag in development.

Olympic weightlifters often use very shallow squats in their training. ATG squats are only specific to one sport, Olympic weightlifting.

Most sports benefit more from partial range of motion.

Are you sure about this???

From Greg Everett Owner & Coach of Catalyst Athletics
    Depth

The depth of an Olympic squat should not even be a topic of discussion, but because there has been and continues to be discussion among coaches and athletes in sports outside of weightlifting, it warrants at least clarification: proper depth is full depth; full depth means full depth. That is, full depth is not parallel, nor is it breaking parallel—it is squatting to the lowest position possible without surgical alteration of body parts while maintaining correct posture. To simplify, we want to close the knee joint maximally while maintaining a correctly arched back.

Full article: catalystathletics.com/article/20/The-Olympic-Weightlifting-Squat/