Is 1200 the lowest?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

How much are you trying to lose per week?

I set the calculator for 2 pounds per week. I am losing only 1 pound per weight due to the occasional slip up or weekend drinks.

So you set your goal at something way to aggressive ... then can't meet it. Typical.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

How much are you trying to lose per week?

I set the calculator for 2 pounds per week. I am losing only 1 pound per weight due to the occasional slip up or weekend drinks.

That is extremely aggressive with such a small amount to lose. You're probably going to be looking at losing a decent amount of weight in LBM and not changing your BF% very much.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I haven't produced that low of a total in my playing around with the webmd calculator.

I'm a 5'2" female...

I put in 5'2 female ... I wouldn't use that for my own use. I like my body.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    what do you do if you are a dwarfed giant then? I'm guessing ill have to adjust the 1200 calories to something more healthy for my body so 3500 calories it is.

Did I miss something here? Are you concerned with the minimum or the maximum to eat? Man why do people make calorie counting so difficult?
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How did this turn into an argument? LOL I explained in my first post that I don't eat under 1200 because it's not recommended. I'm losing, meeting my macro goals, and getting stronger...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I think its a matter of opinion its more what you eat if your having 900 calories of crap than yes your going to be very unhealthy but you can eat 900 calories of veggies and lean protein and not only be full but feel great
    timtakel wrote: »
    I eat 800-900kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.

Attempted rationalization of what, if actually happening, is unhealthy behavior.

I'm going to throw in the 895 calorie goal to give myself a full blown case of the sadz from this thread.

I haven't produced that low of a total in my playing around with the webmd calculator.

I can get lower (never would!!). I put in 5', 190b, 44yrs old and albs a week = 771 calories a day = NEVER. If I read it right though, they recommend not going under 1200 calories a day. The number they are giving is net. So I am supposed to eat 1200 cal and not eat back exercise calories, according to WebMD.

That's really weird. I put in 5'3, 125, 45 and 2 lb/week (which I don't actually think is a reasonable goal at all), and it told me 1035. I did say moderate activity, but that's still a kind of weird discrepancy, isn't it?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How did this turn into an argument? LOL I explained in my first post that I don't eat under 1200 because it's not recommended. I'm losing, meeting my macro goals, and getting stronger...

On page 2 you made it sound like 1200 gross is your goal and try to exercise more off, along with the aggressive goal with little to lose gave the same impression.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    895 to lose a lb a week, but with so little to lose you should be aiming for no more than 0.5lbs/week, that would give you 250 more cals or 1145

I appreciate the feedback. I have another 10 pounds I am trying to lose. It may seem like a small amount but I am a small person. I am trying to hit my goal weight (first mini goal is 118, final goal is 113) as soon as possible so I can start wedding dress shopping. Also looking forward to switching to maintain mode so I can eat more.

10 pounds to lose.....your weekly goal should be no more than 1/2 pound a week.

The problem with aggressive weight loss is that it sacrifices a larger percentage of lean muscle mass than is necessary. Lean muscle makes you look firm and taut, it's much harder for women to replace muscle than it is to hang onto. Google skinny-fat....only the scale looks good.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    895 to lose a lb a week, but with so little to lose you should be aiming for no more than 0.5lbs/week, that would give you 250 more cals or 1145

I appreciate the feedback. I have another 10 pounds I am trying to lose. It may seem like a small amount but I am a small person. I am trying to hit my goal weight (first mini goal is 118, final goal is 113) as soon as possible so I can start wedding dress shopping. Also looking forward to switching to maintain mode so I can eat more.

Be careful with wedding dress shopping and weight. Don't gain weight on maintenance after buying your dress!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it I'm extremely careful. I don't really even eat nuts I don't eat chips or hardly anything carb based that you can just grab from a bag. I really don't have anything in my entire apartment that isn't portioned out. Ill give you a sample of what I eat almost everyday. Banana for breakfast, one cup of green beans steamed with vinegar and a little bit of salt and a can of tuna with one tsp of low fat mayo for lunch. Dinner is usually 2 portioned trimmed chicken breast fillets over a bed of lettuce on tsp of oil vinegar and salt. For snacks Ill have a cup of grapes or a couple pieces of watermelon or steamed spinach or a cup of cottage cheese. Ill have about 3 snacks a day. The only thing I have that's processed for the most part would be a fiber bar that's anywhere from 90 calories to 140 calories and the only variation with breakfast would be 2 eggs one egg white and 2 pieces of bacon with all the fat drained out.

I eat almost no convenience food either. This is my second time doing MFP and the first time with a digital food scale, and I can't recommend one more highly. It makes logging much more accurate and easy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Be careful with wedding dress shopping and weight. Don't gain weight on maintenance after buying your dress!

You cant gain weight on maintenance. The mere definition of maintenance is to not gain or lose. If you gain, you are in a surplus.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Thank you, I do plan to work on some muscle gains after that so I will be watching everything very carefully!
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

On page 2 you made it sound like 1200 gross is your goal and try to exercise more off, along with the aggressive goal with little to lose gave the same impression.

she means she nets under 1200. but she eats 1200.
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Currently I am eating 800-1000 calories a day. I'm doing this to fit into a certain dress by a certain time. I know my body can't sustain this indefinately. I am trying to eat a lot of protein and fiber. Once the event is over I will eat 1000-1200 calories. I expect to gain weight back but lose it in the long run. I do not recommend anyone doing this. But I need to fit into the dress by Sept. 18!!!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    I think its a matter of opinion its more what you eat if your having 900 calories of crap than yes your going to be very unhealthy but you can eat 900 calories of veggies and lean protein and not only be full but feel great
    timtakel wrote: »
    I eat 800-900kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.

Attempted rationalization of what, if actually happening, is unhealthy behavior.

I'm going to throw in the 895 calorie goal to give myself a full blown case of the sadz from this thread.

I can get lower (never would!!). I put in 5', 190b, 44yrs old and albs a week = 771 calories a day = NEVER. If I read it right though, they recommend not going under 1200 calories a day. The number they are giving is net. So I am supposed to eat 1200 cal and not eat back exercise calories, according to WebMD.

When I entered it on WebMD I got 1072 with a 2lb per week loss and sedentary. It also gave the recommendation of no less than 1200 by doing 128 cal exercise burn and eating those back.

Not sure why we got such different numbers.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can someone please post the direct link to the webmd calculator. I've been to the site, but cant find it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you set MFP to custom rather than allowing it to set the goals for you, it will take you below 1200 a week. However, if you eat less than 1000, it will give you a warning and refuse to give you the 5 week weight prediction. I'm 5'1.5" and 56 and had my BMR tested -- it came out to 1136. I've set my "base" at 1000 and sync with a fitbit to get activity calories. I'm using a Fitbit HR, so I get my TDEE at the end of the day. Most days I'm active, but on an inactive day, I can burn as little as 1100. I traveled about a month ago and was on a bus for 6 hours; my burn at the end of the day was in the 900s. If I were sedentary, I could get by very well on 1000 or less. However, I'm not the average person -- I'm shorter than average and older. There are too many young folks who get on MFP and other sites and think they can survive on 1000 or less and end up doing some serious damage.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are some people for whom 1200 would be too high - anyone VERY short, small, inactive.

But unless this is genuinely you, then 1200 will be the minimum.

Of course there is estimation in our calculations so if you record a day and it says you have eaten 1195 you won't come to any harm - but as a general guide 1200 is the minimum level.