Coworker said I looked "skeletal" and that I should "stop" losing any more weight

Options
2»

Replies

• FuchsiaCandi
    FuchsiaCandi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, not the internet. That's the best expert to assist you in truly knowing where you are. We don't have access to your blood work. Appearances can be very deceiving.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1) Rude.
    2) None of their business.
    3) Check with your GP about a healthy weight range for you. I'd like to get a DEXA scan at some point to get an analysis of my body composition, so that I can a weight range for me personally, as opposed to the range for all 5"2 women. Maybe consider something like this if you're wondering where you should stop?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote:
    My profile pic is a very recent pic of me from a day or so ago.
    I'm six-foot-three, 207 (as of today) with some decent base muscle from about 20 years of weightlifting
    (although I haven't lifted for about a year and a half now).
    Should I stop losing, or keep going? I still have an "overweight" BMI, I'm just not sure what that means at this point.
    0 - other than your doctor, wife/husband, and parent(s) / grandparent(s), nobody's opinion matters but yours w/r/t your weight.

1 - That being said... looking at your picture, you are NOT "skeletal". So forget that. I'd say you look average,
    maybe toward fit, but with a _little_ extra weight. That could be just a bit of body fat that could be resolved with
    recomposition. Increase weightlifting, continue daily cardio, eat at maintenance. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

2 - how's your current body composition? (I don't need to know, you do.)
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
    Once you put in your info, click on the down arrow on the right end of the symbols under where
    it tells you "body fat category".

3 - going by BMI, you're about 10 lb above the healthy weight range.
    If you have a larger than average lean body mass (see point #2), don't worry much about that.
    But if not, if your body fat % is toward the high end, it would be worth continuing to slowly lose a little bit more.

4 - check with your doctor, of course.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Not even close to skeletal. I don't know where people get off making such bizarre personal comments. I think it's weird that your coworker even thought that in the first place. And then to say it out loud - people like that are missing some kind of filter.
    It looks to me like you are close to your goal, so maybe now is a good time to think about transitioning to body recomposition. Just so you have a plan in place for when you don't need to lose anymore but you want to continue leaning out. But above all, don't listen to loudmouthed people with ISSUES.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    Not even close to skeletal. I don't know where people get off making such bizarre personal comments. I think it's weird that your coworker even thought that in the first place. And then to say it out loud - people like that are missing some kind of filter.
    It looks to me like you are close to your goal, so maybe now is a good time to think about transitioning to body recomposition. Just so you have a plan in place for when you don't need to lose anymore but you want to continue leaning out. But above all, don't listen to loudmouthed people with ISSUES.

Good post.
  • BReasen
    BReasen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember, in the world today, most people think it's OK to be BIG! It's NOT! It's very unhealthy. If anyone thinks you are to thin, I would take a quick look and decide if they are envious of your weight loss and feeling a bit jealous. Be the encourager. Trust yourself. Be a healthier you!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That's a rather rude thing for your co worker to say. You are not skeletal...
  • LotusFlwr2013
    LotusFlwr2013 Posts: 217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    My profile pic is a very recent pic of me from a day or so ago. I'm six-foot-three, 207 (as of today) with some decent base muscle from about 20 years of weightlifting (although I haven't lifted for about a year and a half now).

Should I stop losing, or keep going? I still have an "overweight" BMI, I'm just not sure what that means at this point.

You Look Good, and I think you have very little non-essential fat ...and I do not think you are skeletal you LOOK fit and healthy... if people on this site bothered to actually open and look at your picture you can tell you are all abs...

That being said, my boyfriend is like you, 6'3 and weighs 211lbs... his body fat is .08%... so forget everyone's visual assessment (including the people on here as camera weight and photogenic is factored in) and go to your doctor and get a real assessment.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    When I told my husband I wanted to lose 75 lbs and my doctor agreed, he said I would look like a "stick". Very encouraging NOT! When I began this process he would ask me "Is that all you are going to eat?" He has finally decided that I am serious and no longer does that.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I think often that when people have seen you out of shape or over weight for any length of time that when you do become healthy they see you as too skinny. It is a mental perception. I think you look fantastic

+1 That's what I was thinking
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is a very recent pic of me from a day or so ago. I'm six-foot-three, 207 (as of today) with some decent base muscle from about 20 years of weightlifting (although I haven't lifted for about a year and a half now).

You Look Good, and I don't think you have any fat ...and I do not think you are skeletal you LOOK fit and healthy... if people on this site bothered to actually open and look at your picture you can tell you are all abs...

That being said, my boyfriend is like you, 6'3 and weighs 211lbs... his body fat is .08%... so forget everyone's visual assessment (including the people on here as camera weight and photogenic is factored in) and go to your doctor and get a real assessment.

Everybody has fat. It's not an insult. It's a fact.

OP, your coworker was rude and the comment was inaccurate. You are not skeletal. I would suggest going to maintenance calories and lifting weights. There are a few outlier groups when it comes to BMI and you are in one of them because you are tall. I wouldn't pay it a bit of attention at this point.

Good work, btw.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You don't look skeletal at all. Keep going.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Photoshop your head onto a picture of a skeleton to show that they're wrong? I dunno, I tend to be a smartass when people make comments like that. Well, not at first. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. You look like you're in good shape, maybe a touch over the top of what your weight range would be, but with also gaining muscle, that does change the numbers on the scale a bit. I would say talk to the doctor to make sure you know exactly what your weight range is for your body, and stick with that. If they keep making comments, just ignore them or make a comment about doing what the doctor said. Kinda hard to argue with professional medical advice (though that doesn't stop some people!)
  • LotusFlwr2013
    LotusFlwr2013 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You Look Good, and I don't think you have any fat ...and I do not think you are skeletal you LOOK fit and healthy... if people on this site bothered to actually open and look at your picture you can tell you are all abs...

Everybody has fat. It's not an insult. It's a fact.

OP, your coworker was rude and the comment was inaccurate. You are not skeletal. I would suggest going to maintenance calories and lifting weights. There are a few outlier groups when it comes to BMI and you are in one of them because you are tall. I wouldn't pay it a bit of attention at this point.

Good work, btw.

Thank you, I meant non-essential fat... I have altered the comment...
  • MakedaWK
    MakedaWK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You look great! Sounds like you've got some haters though - ignore them and keep striving for health!
  • Naja_
    Naja_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you don't look skeletal. You look amazing.

Secondly, as long as you are happy with your progress KEEP GOING.

You know you're doing something right when people that wish they had an OUNCE of your will power start making snarky comments. I'm sure his girl thinks your hot! ;)