Eating 1400 cals a day and lifting weights 5 days a week and cardio here and there and not losing

Options
hello im a 5 foot 6 inch tall 18 year old female. i started at 195lbs and ate 1600-1400 cals a day changing it every month or so lowering it and uping it to avoid plateaus, i also have a cheat day once a week where i eat i want for one day only. i have PCOS which can make it tough to lose weight but up until these last two weeks ive been losing one pound a week and now it just stopped. i dont want to go below 1400 because i think thats too low, but i measure out all my foods and sauces and only drink water or sometimes treat myself with a diet pop. i dont understand why the scale isn't moving, i lost 20 lbs but then went on holiday and took a week off and gained 6lbs? and its been two weeks since ive been back on track and im still the same weight???? HELP

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • Are you using an electric food scale?
    • Are you weighing food accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Open your diary too.
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    claudiamaelynn2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Open your diary too.

yes i am using a electric food scale. and yes im using grams when i weigh and figure out the cals and just log it into my fitness pal using cups or whatever as long as the cals are the same as the stuff i weighed. and im obtaining cals burned from mfp.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am far from an expert, but I recently went to a seminar on weight loss given by a trainer and he said that weight loss does not occur with weght training. Weight training is for muscle developement. You must do cardio for fat loss. You sais you do cardio occasionally. Perhaps you should increase it? I do some cardio everyday and resstance training 3 days a week at this time. Also, open your diary as suggested above. The people on here were able to really help me with my recent plateau once I did that.
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    Options

Open your diary too.

yes i am using a electric food scale. and yes im using grams when i weigh and figure out the cals and just log it into my fitness pal using cups or whatever as long as the cals are the same as the stuff i weighed. and im obtaining cals burned from mfp.
    and i just opened it.

• claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    I am far from an expert, but I recently went to a seminar on weight loss given by a trainer and he said that weight loss does not occur with weght training. Weight training is for muscle developement. You must do cardio for fat loss. You sais you do cardio occasionally. Perhaps you should increase it? I do some cardio everyday and resstance training 3 days a week at this time. Also, open your diary as suggested above. The people on here were able to really help me with my recent plateau once I did that.
    thanks for the reply! and yes i just opened it:)

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Open your diary too.

and i just opened it.

Are you weighing your cup entries?

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Log more accurately. Weigh and track your food every day. No "quick add" calories. Do you log your "cheat" meals?
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not alot of fruits, veggies or whole foods in there...perhaps take a local cooking class to expand your kitchen horizons?
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Open your diary too.

and i just opened it.

Are you weighing your cup entries?

yes i am
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    also alot of estimates cups, TSPs, quick adds, etc...I'd recommend measuring everything you can to the gram on a kitchen scale.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I have heard the same thing too but to me it doesn't make sense because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So if you build muscle then you should burn more calories therefore lose weight. I do IIFYM and they want you to lift over doing cardio and people consistently lose weight using this method.

Are you just paying attention to your calories or do you have a goal to hit for proteins, carbs, fats, etc...?
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Log more accurately. Weigh and track your food every day. No "quick add" calories. Do you log your "cheat" meals?
    okay i will try that, and no i dont
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    hello im a 5 foot 6 inch tall 18 year old female. i started at 195lbs and ate 1600-1400 cals a day changing it every month or so lowering it and uping it to avoid plateaus, i also have a cheat day once a week where i eat i want for one day only. i have PCOS which can make it tough to lose weight but up until these last two weeks ive been losing one pound a week and now it just stopped. i dont want to go below 1400 because i think thats too low, but i measure out all my foods and sauces and only drink water or sometimes treat myself with a diet pop. i dont understand why the scale isn't moving, i lost 20 lbs but then went on holiday and took a week off and gained 6lbs? and its been two weeks since ive been back on track and im still the same weight???? HELP

1. It's only been two weeks since you last lost. That's fairly normal. I would give it some more time before you start to worry.

2. You gained water weight and possibly a little fat on vacation. That's also fairly normal. Travel tends to make us retain water for whatever reasons. Again, give your body some time to adjust.

3. Tighten up your logging. Quick add calories and things measured by the piece/cup everywhere. Half logged days. At the very least, logging everything accurately and consistently will give you better information as you move forward. Without it, it's hard to really tell what else might be going on.

• claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    amaried621 wrote: »

I have heard the same thing too but to me it doesn't make sense because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So if you build muscle then you should burn more calories therefore lose weight. I do IIFYM and they want you to lift over doing cardio and people consistently lose weight using this method.

Are you just paying attention to your calories or do you have a goal to hit for proteins, carbs, fats, etc...?

i try to hit my protein but i mostly focus on the cals
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Log it all. Be honest. Weigh everything. How did you figure you ate .13 of a cheeseburger and 2oz of a milkshake? Those calories could be WAY off. Accuracy makes a difference. If you don't log "cheat" meals, then you have no idea if you're actually eating at an overall deficit.

• amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Maybe try and pay more attention to the other macros that MFP has set up for you, especially sodium since that will cause you to retain more water. Sometimes switching it up helps kind of "jumpstart" your weight
    loss back up.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think you should log your cheat meals. It's possible for your cheat meals to undo your entire week.
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    Log it all. Be honest. Weigh everything. How did you figure you ate .13 of a cheeseburger and 2oz of a milkshake? Those calories could be WAY off. Accuracy makes a difference. If you don't log "cheat" meals, then you have no idea if you're actually eating at an overall deficit.

i just had a bite of and sip of a friends and okay ill try !:) thanks so much
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    I think you should log your cheat meals. It's possible for your cheat meals to undo your entire week.
    okay ill try that thanks :)
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    Options
    amaried621 wrote: »
    Maybe try and pay more attention to the other macros that MFP has set up for you, especially sodium since that will cause you to retain more water. Sometimes switching it up helps kind of "jumpstart" your weight
    loss back up.
    sweet thanks:)