Eating 1400 cals a day and lifting weights 5 days a week and cardio here and there and not losing

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Log more accurately. Weigh and track your food every day. No "quick add" calories. Do you log your "cheat" meals?
    okay i will try that, and no i dont

That's probably your issue
    • Stop logging in cups - weigh and log in grams.
    • Log your cheat days - it can be an eye opener, you might want to change it to just eating to maintenance days instead of an eat whatever you want day.
    • No more quick adds.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Log more accurately. Weigh and track your food every day. No "quick add" calories. Do you log your "cheat" meals?
    okay i will try that, and no i dont
    Log it all. Be honest. Weigh everything. How did you figure you ate .13 of a cheeseburger and 2oz of a milkshake? Those calories could be WAY off. Accuracy makes a difference. If you don't log "cheat" meals, then you have no idea if you're actually eating at an overall deficit.

i just had a bite of and sip of a friends and okay ill try !:) thanks so much

Yeah, log those cheat meals. If your deficit is small on the other days, you could easily off-set your whole week with one "cheat" meal. I could easily eat 1,000 extra calories if I gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted in one sitting, probably worse :).
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I am far from an expert, but I recently went to a seminar on weight loss given by a trainer and he said that weight loss does not occur with weght training. Weight training is for muscle developement. You must do cardio for fat loss. You sais you do cardio occasionally. Perhaps you should increase it? I do some cardio everyday and resstance training 3 days a week at this time. Also, open your diary as suggested above. The people on here were able to really help me with my recent plateau once I did that.

You were greatly misinformed. There are many people on this site (myself included) who lost a ton of body fat without ever doing a minute of cardio. It comes down to a calorie deficit.
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i prefer to scan or find certified food entries (not hard with the very large database on MFP) all that weighing and "guessing" it time consuming, takes time, and is so easy to skip or make mistakes. As other's have said weight training will help you boost metabolism and burn all the time, but you don't actually burn that much fuel while doing it, just rearranging your "chassis" and fat% and muscle mass. Don't go too crazy with the cardio either, it will cause "stress" and flight or flight response over long periods and cause you to retain weight (sacrificing nutrient and absorption, etc. to save food for when the "crisis" passes and also it will lean out and burn that muscle you have been trying to build. i say as a rule don't go over 30 minutes. I actually do a 15 min interval elliptical. (2 mins 6 mpg, 1 minute 12 mph, 2 min 6 mph, etc etc 5 "cycles.) 250 to 300 cals or "energy" and sweating like a sheep dog - DONE. Using a MIO Apha2 cardio watch and DigiFit that links to MFP. Oh yeah, last question is that 1,400 NET calories? are you EATING back your exercise? i.e. eating 2,000 and burning 600 so net 1,400?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am far from an expert, but I recently went to a seminar on weight loss given by a trainer and he said that weight loss does not occur with weght training. Weight training is for muscle developement. You must do cardio for fat loss. You sais you do cardio occasionally. Perhaps you should increase it? I do some cardio everyday and resstance training 3 days a week at this time. Also, open your diary as suggested above. The people on here were able to really help me with my recent plateau once I did that.

Not accurate at all. Body fat loss is a large part of weight training if coupled with a deficit, and often even when eating at maintenance. Scale weight loss will appear slower, but body fat will be reduced.

OP, if you've been losing fine, and just had a two week change, I'd keep doing what you're doing for a little bit longer before wondering if something's up. Losing 1 lb a week with PCOS is fantastic progress, and two weeks is too short a time to be considered a plateau. I'd reevaluate at closer to 6 weeks if something is truly up, and even then, only if measurements (with a cloth tape measure, or calipers) have also not changed.
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    claudiamaelynn2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i prefer to scan or find certified food entries (not hard with the very large database on MFP) all that weighing and "guessing" it time consuming, takes time, and is so easy to skip or make mistakes. As other's have said weight training will help you boost metabolism and burn all the time, but you don't actually burn that much fuel while doing it, just rearranging your "chassis" and fat% and muscle mass. Don't go too crazy with the cardio either, it will cause "stress" and flight or flight response over long periods and cause you to retain weight (sacrificing nutrient and absorption, etc. to save food for when the "crisis" passes and also it will lean out and burn that muscle you have been trying to build. i say as a rule don't go over 30 minutes. I actually do a 15 min interval elliptical. (2 mins 6 mpg, 1 minute 12 mph, 2 min 6 mph, etc etc 5 "cycles.) 250 to 300 cals or "energy" and sweating like a sheep dog - DONE. Using a MIO Apha2 cardio watch and DigiFit that links to MFP. Oh yeah, last question is that 1,400 NET calories? are you EATING back your exercise? i.e. eating 2,000 and burning 600 so net 1,400?

no im not eating back my exercise cals! and thanks for all the advice that will help alot :)
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Get in touch with other MFP members with PCOS. It can make it terribly difficult to lose weight and there are tricks that will help get things moving. I'm pretty sure there is a group but you can also post in the forum to find others who have it.

Beyond that, I totally agree about weighing your food. It can make an amazing difference. Half logged days, estimates, cheat days, etc. can all be detrimental to your weight loss goals. Be honest with yourself and your food diary because you are the one who will be held accountable for it when you either lose or don't lose.
  • claudiamaelynn2014
    claudiamaelynn2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »

Not accurate at all. Body fat loss is a large part of weight training if coupled with a deficit, and often even when eating at maintenance. Scale weight loss will appear slower, but body fat will be reduced.

OP, if you've been losing fine, and just had a two week change, I'd keep doing what you're doing for a little bit longer before wondering if something's up. Losing 1 lb a week with PCOS is fantastic progress, and two weeks is too short a time to be considered a plateau. I'd reevaluate at closer to 6 weeks if something is truly up, and even then, only if measurements (with a cloth tape measure, or calipers) have also not changed.
    thanks so much :smiley:

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your exercise calories? You have one day where you earned over 1,500 calories from exercise. That seems pretty high to me. You may be over estimating your burns. Tighten up your logging and it's very important to log your cheat days.

Anytime you start up a new exercise routine or bump your weights up, your body may retain water for muscle repair. This water retention can mask fat loss, meaning your weight may stay the same or even go up a little but you are still lose fat. It can take several weeks for these effects to wear off.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I don't know what sort of seminar you went to... but it gave you bad advice.

Weight loss can occur with weight training. Remember that weight loss comes from a caloric deficit - you can do any sort of physical activity while eating in a caloric deficit.

You do not have to do cardio for fat loss. That comes from a caloric deficit.

Stop spurting your misinformed information around the forums please.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

You were greatly misinformed. There are many people on this site (myself included) who lost a ton of body fat without ever doing a minute of cardio. It comes down to a calorie deficit.

I meant realize that it is calorie deficit. I do all three - calorie deficit, cardio and weights & resistance at this point.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Weight loss can occur with weight training. Remember that weight loss comes from a caloric deficit - you can do any sort of physical activity while eating in a caloric deficit.

I am sorry. I did not know I was given misinformation. As I said, I am not an expert, but I was under the impression that the person who told us this was.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I am sorry. I did not know I was given misinformation. As I said, I am not an expert, but I was under the impression that the person who told us this was.

At least you know the correct information now :)
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    one more add. i am not a doctor and don't want to meddle but if PCOS affects hormonal balances/functions that must have a weight affect. I grabbed this very quickly, but quite frankly "the apple" weight gain situation and the hormone changes sound A LOT like andropause in men and the resulting visceral fat and Apple shape. VERY VERY hard to lose........(i can tell you from PERSONAL experience <smile> Here was a clip from WEBMD i think.

"""" PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. This condition -- called insulin resistance -- can cause insulin and sugar -- glucose -- to build up in the bloodstream.

High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. That is where men tend to carry weight. So, instead of having a pear shape, women with PCOS have more of an apple shape."""""

So I think you can't battle this with conventional or traditional weight loss theory and thinking? Estrogen, and androgen and cortisol and all that stuff. by my read you have some of the same hormonal effects at 18 as a 50+ year man/woman.

I would look at some other factors as well like alcohol (affecting your digestive tract and vascular system) hopefully you have not affected your systems as such a young age? also caffeine and coffee as an acidic chemical. You digestion and your systems maybe need to be cleared out of these distractions.

What I mean is look at what you are eating? grass fed meats if you must (loads of hormones and antibiotics and GMO feed etc in farm raised meats and products - just STOP) and eat whole foods, no booze, no caffeine. these will get your circadian rhythm and recovery and fat burning processes back in order.

A plateau means time for a change............so change? All you have to lose is the weight? <smile> of course when you do since fat store a lot of hormones and toxins, you will feel better even more noticeably.

okay i am starting to sound like a nut-burger here. i am done.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    I think you should log your cheat meals. It's possible for your cheat meals to undo your entire week.

True. A cheat meal can almost be like a binge.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited July 2015
    Options

lol, yeah can't lose weight doing more than 30 mins cardio. :noway:

Nothing wrong with HITT - but saying not to do over 30 mins is silly - what if you want to train for a marathon while you lose weight? (I'll be training for a half)

Also 300 cals in 15 minutes - very very unlikely.

Urg - you also have your setting at a baseline of 1400 cals a day - that's super low for a man
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    one more add. i am not a doctor and don't want to meddle but if PCOS affects hormonal balances/functions that must have a weight affect. I grabbed this very quickly, but quite frankly "the apple" weight gain situation and the hormone changes sound A LOT like andropause in men and the resulting visceral fat and Apple shape. VERY VERY hard to lose........(i can tell you from PERSONAL experience <smile> Here was a clip from WEBMD i think.

"""" PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. This condition -- called insulin resistance -- can cause insulin and sugar -- glucose -- to build up in the bloodstream.

High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. That is where men tend to carry weight. So, instead of having a pear shape, women with PCOS have more of an apple shape."""""

So I think you can't battle this with conventional or traditional weight loss theory and thinking? Estrogen, and androgen and cortisol and all that stuff. by my read you have some of the same hormonal effects at 18 as a 50+ year man/woman.

I would look at some other factors as well like alcohol (affecting your digestive tract and vascular system) hopefully you have not affected your systems as such a young age? also caffeine and coffee as an acidic chemical. You digestion and your systems maybe need to be cleared out of these distractions.

What I mean is look at what you are eating? grass fed meats if you must (loads of hormones and antibiotics and GMO feed etc in farm raised meats and products - just STOP) and eat whole foods, no booze, no caffeine. these will get your circadian rhythm and recovery and fat burning processes back in order.

A plateau means time for a change............so change? All you have to lose is the weight? <smile> of course when you do since fat store a lot of hormones and toxins, you will feel better even more noticeably.

okay i am starting to sound like a nut-burger here. i am done.

more like someone spouting broscience. :noway:
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If you're accurately logging everything but your cheat meals, I'd bet your cheat meals is where the problem lies.

This is why I am not personally a fan of "cheat days" or "cheat" anything. Log, log, log. 90% of the time if you are not losing, it's because you are not in a caloric deficit. The other 10% is aliens.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If its been 2 weeks: too soon to panic. Could be sodium, stress, TOM, etc. Keep going, and within 4-6 weeks you should resume the downward trend.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The 6 pounds is most likely water retention. Seriously, you're doing great so just be patient. It's normal when beginning lifting to retain. Also, I can't stress enough, use a food scale!