Options

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    Yeah you definitely need to clarify with this doctor. A quick glance of your Mediterranean meal plan does in fact include carbs.. It seems like quite the contradiction

Perhaps they were using carbs in the same way as my friend to mean pasta, bread, potato etc - she doesn't think in terms of macros but more food categories.

This was my first thought.....

I would hope doctors wouldn't use words in such misleading and inaccurate ways, but it does appear that's what's going on. I'd change doctors for that reason, likely--either the doctor is being muddled about it or assumes I'm kind of dumb, and both would bother me.

Or, the doctor just wrote the wrong word. Everybody does that on occasion. None of us are perfect and always 100% precise...even at work. The typed sheet is pretty clear. Instead of assuming a lot of terrible things about the doctor and her attitude or skill perhaps the easiest thing to do is call her and ask.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    To top it off, a medication that I'm taking is known to cause diabetes, but my weight-loss doctor is not really looking at that, and just telling me that I'm doing well dieting and I should keep it up and add more exercise. I'm frustrated because I've never had issues with blood sugar or insulin before and I feel like this woman is not listening to me. If anyone is on a carb free diet and has some foods they like that they could share with me I would really appreciate it. I have already given up all of the bad food, but I'm not really sure what to eat.

Very curious- is it the weight loss Dr. that prescribed to you the med that is known to cause diabetes? If not, your other Dr. should review the blood work and the two of you should discuss the risks of taking that med. Otherwise, I would definitely seek another opinion from a primary care or endocrinologist.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I would seek the advise of a registered dietitian. Throughout my life I have encountered several doctors who when they said " absolutely no carbs ", they meant no bread, pasta, rice , bakery good and other starchy, mostly processed food items. They did not even know that fruit, vegetables, legumes and pulses are complex ( healthy ) carbs which even a diabetic can/should eat in moderation.
    My neighbor is an internist and tells me that usually in med school they offer one nutrition course during the whole time of medical training and many doctors chose something that is for them more important.
    I would go to a professional and get advise I can live with.
    Good Luck !

One of my good friends is a pedatric cardiologist.. she never had a class in nutrition.. And she went to the University of Penn (top rated medical school). She keeps telling me, if she needs to know something nutrition, then she's got people for that.

A have several doctor friends. I agree, nutrition is not a focus (though my endocrinologist friend is the exception...probably because it is directly relevant to his specialty). But they all do keep up on the research relevant to their specialties. I suspect if you ask your cardiologist friend, she is up to date on recent nutrition research related to heart disease.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would seek the advise of a registered dietitian. Throughout my life I have encountered several doctors who when they said " absolutely no carbs ", they meant no bread, pasta, rice , bakery good and other starchy, mostly processed food items. They did not even know that fruit, vegetables, legumes and pulses are complex ( healthy ) carbs which even a diabetic can/should eat in moderation.
    My neighbor is an internist and tells me that usually in med school they offer one nutrition course during the whole time of medical training and many doctors chose something that is for them more important.
    Good Luck !
    There are just more important things to focus on. Most schools will include nutrition classes or work it into something else, but there is so much information and only so much time to study. Choices have to be made and nutrition is about the last thing anyone cares about. When people want to talk diets, dietary consults are available.

Some doctors are interested and learn loads. All learn things that most people here wouldn't know. A Sports Medicine guy might not remember why someone shouldn't have fresh fruits and veggies, but when he heard it, he'd remember fast enough. It'd be an "Oh, yeah, that's right" kind of thing and not a "What?! I never heard that! Why is that?" kind of thing.

They learn the important diet stuff, but not all of them learn the details of weight loss, the ins and outs of diets that are related to something they specialize in. etc.

I think doctors know less about nutrition than some people assume, but a lot more than many here give them credit for.
  • jgc4444
    jgc4444 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I WOULD DEFINITELY LISTEN TO EVERY PERSON ON HERE FOR THE MOST PART. IM A DIABETIC AND YOU CANNOT CUT OUT CARBS COMPLETELY. DIABETIC OR NOT. I WOULD CERTAINLY GET A SECOND OPINION. THE ONLY THING YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO EAT IS MEAT. SORRY DONT MEAN TO YELL BUT THAT DR IS A FOOL. CUT BACK MOST DEFINITELY NOT ELIMINATE. JUST MY OPINION.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    get a 2nd opinion. my dad was a type 2 and the foundation of his diet to control his blood sugar was actually whole grains (oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc) legumes, lentils, veg, and some fruit...that made up about 40%-45% of his diet with the rest coming from protein and fat.

A friend of mine is T2D (he's not and never has been overweight) and also has cholesterol issues. He has found that when he monitors his blood sugar he reacts more to a lot of higher fat foods vs. just starchy foods. Fried chicken is worse than white rice (and General Tso's is like the worst thing ever for him, and of course has a perfect combination of fried and sweet and starch). I thought the high fat thing was weird, as I'd assumed it shouldn't react at all. (Obviously fried chicken has some flour and such.)

I would hazard a guess that your T2D friend's reaction to fats is unusual and probably based on extra carbs in the coating, and maybe a side order of fries and soda. My understanding is also that a T2 diabetic's blood glucose usually rises in response to eating glucose (from carbs such as starches and sugars). Your friend's response is a bit weird to me too. Go figure.
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Good Luck !

One of my good friends is a pedatric cardiologist.. she never had a class in nutrition.. And she went to the University of Penn (top rated medical school). She keeps telling me, if she needs to know something nutrition, then she's got people for that.

A have several doctor friends. I agree, nutrition is not a focus (though my endocrinologist friend is the exception...probably because it is directly relevant to his specialty). But they all do keep up on the research relevant to their specialties. I suspect if you ask your cardiologist friend, she is up to date on recent nutrition research related to heart disease.

I agree too. My doctor said nothing about my high blood glucose. He didn't even tell me I was in prediabetic range. I discovered it when I requested copies of my lab. The endocrinologist I saw for an unrelated issue noted my prediabetes and told me to keep an eye on it. I believe she told me to eat leaner cuts of meat - I butcher my own meat so it couldn't get much leaner.

Then I saw an orthomolecular doctor and he was the one to finally give me nutrition advice. He advised Atkins, cutting out all processed foods, to give up pop, eat more liver, take more of certain vitamins, and a few other things. He specializes in treating people through nutrition which makes a LOT of sense to me. We are what we eat. It was worth the effort to find a doctor who knew what he was talking about. A nice change.

My mother, who is obese, started seeing a dietician at a hospital for weight loss counselling. It was a group session and most of it was spent taking about the possible stomach stapling procedures available. She was quite disappinted... rightly so.
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think what she meant are no sugary carbs, no grainsand breads or pancakes waffle. Bc there are carbs on that list like beans and fruit and vegetables.

yeah thats what i am thinking, staying away from white breads, pastas etc... starchy carbs. you cant escape carbs if you want to eat healthy. you will have to pry my veggies and fruit out of my cold dead hands. giving up refined carbs was quit easy, they make me feel blah, tired and bloaty :/

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    get a 2nd opinion. my dad was a type 2 and the foundation of his diet to control his blood sugar was actually whole grains (oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc) legumes, lentils, veg, and some fruit...that made up about 40%-45% of his diet with the rest coming from protein and fat.

A friend of mine is T2D (he's not and never has been overweight) and also has cholesterol issues. He has found that when he monitors his blood sugar he reacts more to a lot of higher fat foods vs. just starchy foods. Fried chicken is worse than white rice (and General Tso's is like the worst thing ever for him, and of course has a perfect combination of fried and sweet and starch). I thought the high fat thing was weird, as I'd assumed it shouldn't react at all. (Obviously fried chicken has some flour and such.)

I actually recall reading about a couple of studies that seemed to suggest that it's not the carbs by themselves that tend to produce the most dramatic and negative effects on blood chemistry. The worst combination is a stiff dose of simple carbs plus a large bolus of saturated fat with it (plus no fiber to moderate it's impact on blood sugar, and no protein to produce any lasting satiety). Think Crispy Crème donuts or Cinnabons.

Or General Tso's. Interesting!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

I would hazard a guess that your T2D friend's reaction to fats is unusual and probably based on extra carbs in the coating, and maybe a side order of fries and soda. My understanding is also that a T2 diabetic's blood glucose usually rises in response to eating glucose (from carbs such as starches and sugars). Your friend's response is a bit weird to me too. Go figure.

Definitely not fries and a soda in this case. But from another poster it seems it isn't all that weird after all.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Definitely not fries and a soda in this case. But from another poster it seems it isn't all that weird after all.

Go figure. I'm curious how eating protein and fat raised his blood glucose. Just seems odd to me. My guess is it was the carbs.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Go figure. I'm curious how eating protein and fat raised his blood glucose. Just seems odd to me. My guess is it was the carbs.

Protein can absolutely spike glucose. Where are you geting information that it does not?
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options

Protein can absolutely spike glucose. Where are you geting information that it does not?

I know protein can make glucose... Spiking it? I doubt that.

The liver can slowly transform as much as 36% of protein from animal sources into carbs. It's very low GI. Unless you are eating massive amounts of meat, I think it would rarely cause a spike in blood glucose in T2D if he or she still had working Beta cells - it wouldn't be the norm.

For a T2D with a burned out pancreas, or a T1D, yes, it definitely cause a blood glucose spike.... So would not eating.

I get my information from books. The above info was from The Diabetes Solution.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's the protein here. It's carbs plus fat, particularly sat fat, which apparently can cause insulin resistance due to high triglycerides in the bloodstream (the fried chicken is weird, granted, and I assumed the coating on the chicken which would involve flour). I followed up on what the poster above said, which seems to be supported, and that's consistent with what my friend has found--that for him high fat + carbs are more of an issue than just carbs.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I know protein can make glucose... Spiking it? I doubt that.

The liver can slowly transform as much as 36% of protein from animal sources into carbs. It's very low GI. Unless you are eating massive amounts of meat, I think it would rarely cause a spike in blood glucose in T2D if he or she still had working Beta cells - it wouldn't be the norm.

For a T2D with a burned out pancreas, or a T1D, yes, it definitely cause a blood glucose spike.... So would not eating.

I get my information from books. The above info was from The Diabetes Solution.

Apologies. My statement was unfounded. It's been a low-caffeine day and I was thinking "produce" but typing "spike." Next time I'll try to read slower!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just a comment. My husband is diabetic, and he doesn't have to cut out all carbs. He has to watch his carbs, but he's allowed a certain amount for each meal, and as long as he doesn't go over that, he's fine. I would honestly get a second opinion of what your diet should be as you need some sugars, and complex carbs would be better for you than just sugar as it's better at keeping your blood sugar even over time. You'll get a spike from sugar, but the sugar you get from carbs takes longer to hit and lasts longer.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I go to a weight-loss doctor and I had a lot of blood work done last week. It turns out that I am prediabetic, and have to go on a no carb diet. I had already limited my carbs for the first month I've been going there and had lost 8 1/2 pounds. Now, I cannot have any grains or carbohydrates, and no sugar whatsoever, which I wasn't having except for eating fruit anyway. To top it off, a medication that I'm taking is known to cause diabetes, but my weight-loss doctor is not really looking at that, and just telling me that I'm doing well dieting and I should keep it up and add more exercise. I'm frustrated because I've never had issues with blood sugar or insulin before and I feel like this woman is not listening to me. If anyone is on a carb free diet and has some foods they like that they could share with me I would really appreciate it. I have already given up all of the bad food, but I'm not really sure what to eat.

First, do not see a weight loss doctor for anything concerning endocrine conditions. You need to see an endocrinologist.

Second, if this weight loss 'doctor' told you to eat no carbs, that means you can't eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc. I would be very cautious when taking any advice from this individual. Please ask your primary care physician for a referral to an endocrinologist who can then refer you to the affiliated registered dietitian.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Most sources of protein are insulinogenic.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Ok a lot of misinformation on here. No carb- low carb does not equate or lead to kidney damage.
    What you need to look up and read is the "ketogenic diet".
    The body does not need carbohydrates. In the ketogenic diet FAT is used as the primary fuel source ( instead of carbs).
    A common macro split for a keto diet would look like this. 65-75% fat, 5% or less carbs, 20-35% protein ( depending on lbm).
    The Ketogenic diet has been shown to reverse type 2 diabetes all together as well as alzheimers and helps prevent cancer.
    It is frankly a better fuel source for the body.
    Give your Dr the benefit of the doubt and look into it.

The deoxyribose in your DNA is a carbohydrate. Your body needs carbohydrates to exist, let alone function.

Ketogenic diets also increase the risk of kidney stones and gout.