Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    ariamythe wrote: »
    But sometimes people need to see the second step in order to grasp the first step. Sometimes understanding CICO comes when they get help in that process. There is the truth or fact of CICO and there is how to apply it in my setting.

Agreed. Telling someone just that losing weight is all about CICO is about as helpful as telling someone that the proper way to prepare dinner is to cook the food. It's kind of self-evident, and it's definitely true, but it doesn't help at all in the process to achieve that end result. There are steps to cooking food, and there are steps to achieving CICO.

Agreed. Even if a person has no clue how many calories are in anything, most adults realize that the more you eat the more you will gain, and the way to lose is to eat less. Great. However if it was that simple, nobody would be overweight. What most people are really looking for is help with specific strategies to do that. Instead they get 17 people who will beat them over the head with the "it's all just CICO".

Simple doesn't mean easy. And simple is often overlooked in the multi-million dollar diet and weight loss industry. Simple is hard to make money off.

It is all CICO. Actually doing it is a lot harder. Accurately logging and weighing is not something most are accustomed. Following all these rules and diet plans that guarantee success is something that people are used to. I've fallen victim to that more times than I could count. I failed on most of them. That is why I was overweight, not because I couldn't count but because I was convinced it was more complicated than just counting.

So I will say CICO til the cows come home. If that grates, please feel free to ignore me. I will still say it for those who it might make a difference for...like it did for me.

exactly this. And whether the method is low-carb, moderation, paleo, IIFYM, or whatever floats your boat, as long as it creates a calorie deficit, it works. Because they're all CICO.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    But sometimes people need to see the second step in order to grasp the first step. Sometimes understanding CICO comes when they get help in that process. There is the truth or fact of CICO and there is how to apply it in my setting.

Agreed. Telling someone just that losing weight is all about CICO is about as helpful as telling someone that the proper way to prepare dinner is to cook the food. It's kind of self-evident, and it's definitely true, but it doesn't help at all in the process to achieve that end result. There are steps to cooking food, and there are steps to achieving CICO.

Agreed. Even if a person has no clue how many calories are in anything, most adults realize that the more you eat the more you will gain, and the way to lose is to eat less. Great. However if it was that simple, nobody would be overweight. What most people are really looking for is help with specific strategies to do that. Instead they get 17 people who will beat them over the head with the "it's all just CICO".

Simple doesn't mean easy. And simple is often overlooked in the multi-million dollar diet and weight loss industry. Simple is hard to make money off.

It is all CICO. Actually doing it is a lot harder. Accurately logging and weighing is not something most are accustomed. Following all these rules and diet plans that guarantee success is something that people are used to. I've fallen victim to that more times than I could count. I failed on most of them. That is why I was overweight, not because I couldn't count but because I was convinced it was more complicated than just counting.

So I will say CICO til the cows come home. If that grates, please feel free to ignore me. I will still say it for those who it might make a difference for...like it did for me.

exactly this. And whether the method is low-carb, moderation, paleo, IIFYM, or whatever floats your boat, as long as it creates a calorie deficit, it works. Because they're all CICO.
    Nobody has argued that it isn't.

The point of the thread is that people - some people - need more than that. They need strategies, ideas on WOE, nutrition info, etc.

OP agreed with the CICO thing. You're kind of proving his point here.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The topic that this thread is turning into, which I recognize is a derailment...and it is unfortunate. However it reminds me a psychological theory....you see and recognize something that you either really like or don't like. You therefore think it happens ALL THE TIME, when in reality you just recognize it more. Sometimes we have to take a step back and realize the problem is us and our perception.

IKR
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Nobody has argued that it isn't.

The point of the thread is that people - some people - need more than that. They need strategies, ideas on WOE, nutrition info, etc.

OP agreed with the CICO thing. You're kind of proving his point here.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to use the internet and he'll leave you alone for 3 weeks.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The topic that this thread is turning into, which I recognize is a derailment...and it is unfortunate. However it reminds me a psychological theory....you see and recognize something that you either really like or don't like. You therefore think it happens ALL THE TIME, when in reality you just recognize it more. Sometimes we have to take a step back and realize the problem is us and our perception.

IKR

I don't understand why some folks stick around if the forums suck so much and are just filled with pushy, sarcastic, condescending meanies ...

I love what I learn here. After 2 kids and 10 years of trying to lose the weight, I've lost 32 pounds using MFP. I can honestly say I would not have been this successful without the forums.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »

IKR

I don't understand why some folks stick around if the forums suck so much and are just filled with pushy, sarcastic, condescending meanies ...

I love what I learn here. After 2 kids and 10 years of trying to lose the weight, I've lost 32 pounds using MFP. I can honestly say I would not have been this successful without the forums.

Not sure what you're saying, or who that is pointed at ...care to clarify?
  • 123user456
    Options

IKR

Not pointed at anyone although you are one of many here with great advice. It just seems like a lot of people are complaining about how useless and obnoxious the forums are. I'm trying to understand, but I don't get it. If the forums don't help, don't use them ... But maybe I'm misinterpreting the message.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

IKR

Not pointed at anyone although you are one of many here with great advice. It just seems like a lot of people are complaining about how useless and obnoxious the forums are. I'm trying to understand, but I don't get it. If the forums don't help, don't use them ... But maybe I'm misinterpreting the message.

:) sorry I think I got a bit touchy there

I agree there's a lot of unneccessary sniping and attempted one-upmanship at present, hopefully it will die down
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Generally knowing that the more food you eat the more you will weigh is not the same as knowing that calories in calories out works for a certainty, in 100% of people. More food does not always equal more calories.

What I've seen most people asking is why they're not losing weight. I wouldn't presume to tell them what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, after work snack, before picking up the kid, and what each meal should contain. That would be presumptuous and condescending, IMO. Heck, not everyone that is working on losing weight and not seeing results is necessarily hungry, so we can't just dive right into tips on how to feel sated, either, for example.

There's only one answer to why folks aren't losing weight - not in a long term caloric deficit. As you reference people being adults, if they have other questions or points of confusion, it's their responsibility to ask or perform a search. It's a bit ridiculous to expect the forum participants to be mind readers...
    I think the problem is when nobody is arguing against CICO, but saying they need information or want to know about other things and people bombard them with, "This is what I did, so this is what you need to do! CICO! CICO! CICO!"

You've seen it. People say they're trying to eat a healthier diet - which is like some kind of unpardonable sin to some - and they start in with their "No! My way! My way! My way!" (I'm not even exaggerating there. I didn't make that up, lol.)

There's also the "We did it this way and lost weight, so don't disagree with us!" and "If you don't diet our way, you will fail!" stuff.

It's just a little much.

In the most recent one I can think of, the OP never even returned to explain why she was interested in a certain way of eating. It's one thing if it's just a legitimate preference or they've got some sort of medical sensitivity. Otherwise, personally I'd want a bunch of people to tell me if a certain plan i had in mind may be needlessly complicated

For instance, I would think an interest in veganism would have to do with ethical treatment of animals, not because "OMG this girl is vegan and so thin so I'd like to do that, give me info!!" To me that's an excellent situation to at least verify that the person understands that CICO works and no magic is necessary. If they explain that they really just want to go this route, only at that point would I consider further CICO and logging "education" to be a bit much
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hi. i've lost over 100 lbs and i joined MFP just a little over a year ago and so far, for me it was accurate. i log absolutely everything i eat (down to spices) and eat within 1200-1600 calories every day. if i do some exercise, i don't log it here as MFP looks to me like they're overestimating calories burned displayed on the app.

re: nutritional facts, some labels ARE inaccurate. Nutella for example. it says a serving is 2 table spoons = 200 calories. it also displays on the side it says 37g. on paper, yes 2 tbps = 30ml. 37ml is just a little over 2 tbps. when i weighed it one day i found out that a table spoon of Nutella is already around 28g. 2tbps is over 50g. almost twice the calories as advertised in the label. weigh and log everything to the gram. most food on the database breaks the food down to the gram so that will greatly help you overtime.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Generally knowing that the more food you eat the more you will weigh is not the same as knowing that calories in calories out works for a certainty, in 100% of people. More food does not always equal more calories.

What I've seen most people asking is why they're not losing weight. I wouldn't presume to tell them what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, after work snack, before picking up the kid, and what each meal should contain. That would be presumptuous and condescending, IMO. Heck, not everyone that is working on losing weight and not seeing results is necessarily hungry, so we can't just dive right into tips on how to feel sated, either, for example.

There's only one answer to why folks aren't losing weight - not in a long term caloric deficit. As you reference people being adults, if they have other questions or points of confusion, it's their responsibility to ask or perform a search. It's a bit ridiculous to expect the forum participants to be mind readers...
    I think the problem is when nobody is arguing against CICO, but saying they need information or want to know about other things and people bombard them with, "This is what I did, so this is what you need to do! CICO! CICO! CICO!"

You've seen it. People say they're trying to eat a healthier diet - which is like some kind of unpardonable sin to some - and they start in with their "No! My way! My way! My way!" (I'm not even exaggerating there. I didn't make that up, lol.)

There's also the "We did it this way and lost weight, so don't disagree with us!" and "If you don't diet our way, you will fail!" stuff.

It's just a little much.

In the most recent one I can think of, the OP never even returned to explain why she was interested in a certain way of eating. It's one thing if it's just a legitimate preference or they've got some sort of medical sensitivity. Otherwise, personally I'd want a bunch of people to tell me if a certain plan i had in mind may be needlessly complicated

For instance, I would think an interest in veganism would have to do with ethical treatment of animals, not because "OMG this girl is vegan and so thin so I'd like to do that, give me info!!" To me that's an excellent situation to at least verify that the person understands that CICO works and no magic is necessary. If they explain that they really just want to go this route, only at that point would I consider further CICO and logging "education" to be a bit much
    Agreed. Mentioning it is one thing. Demanding that everyone diet the way you want everyone to diet - that's another.

• Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wanna say something, the whole weighing food , I thought it was silly, I didn't do it back then when I had 25 kgs ( 43 lbs? to lose ) I think I would of gone faster if I did, I don't have a real binge problem BUT some foods I usually can't stop from eating when I've had enough, like super salty food, and I try not to eat it cos kidney stones and stuff,BUT now that I weight my food ( it's only been about 7 days? ) I don't have this problem anymore!!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OP - you seem to only be responding to those that support your preconceived notions, and that's your prerogative - but the people you're choosing to ignore are some of the most successful on this site.

You can cite inaccuracies till the cows come home and while you're waiting for the nirvana of perfection, the rest of us will be meeting / maintaining our goals. I sincerely hope you meet yours as well, but it's going to take a remarkable attitude adjustment.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It may suck but CICO is the epitome of success. Whether it's Vegan, HFLC, HCLF, Paleo. Some people do not understand that no matter how healthy you are eating, if you are eating too much you will gain weight. Even if the threshold is lower for some people due to health issues, the concept is the same.
  • 123user456
    Options

IKR

:) sorry I think I got a bit touchy there

I agree there's a lot of unneccessary sniping and attempted one-upmanship at present, hopefully it will die down

Thanks, but no apologies are necessary. I didn't think you were touchy, and there's no harm in asking for clarification.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It may suck but CICO is the epitome of success. Whether it's Vegan, HFLC, HCLF, Paleo. Some people do not understand that no matter how healthy you are eating, if you are eating too much you will gain weight. Even if the threshold is lower for some people due to health issues, the concept is the same.

Yep.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

You can cite inaccuracies till the cows come home and while you're waiting for the nirvana of perfection, the rest of us will be meeting / maintaining our goals. I sincerely hope you meet yours as well, but it's going to take a remarkable attitude adjustment.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

You seem to misunderstand my post entirely, while at the same time sort of supporting it. I wrote the post to highlight patronizing responses that basically only serve to belittle a person.
    Also, I'm not gonna need luck or an attitude adjustment, as I said in my post, I've been very successful losing 40lbs already..thanks tho.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ^^Good thing he asked! I didn't realize this was a "mean people of MFP" post