Green tea detox?

Options
Alongside healthy eating and exercise has anyone tried the green tea detox, and did it help? Thanks!

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    You would have to drink an insane amount of green tea in order to shift your metabolism a little bit. Also, your body already detoxes itself.

Save your money. It's a scam.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you trying to detox from? How is green tea supposed to do it?

The simple facts are that the body already "detoxes" itself through normal processes and that any merchant selling a detox food or drink is depending on the same demographic as PT Barnum ... the fool born every minute.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did it help with what?
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "detox". It relies on weaselly and undefined terms like "toxins", and it has no scientific validity url="http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance"]second article from the Guardian[/url. I would save my money if I were you, or put it towards buying healthy, low-calorie foods that fit your tastes and dietary habits.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The only reason I drink green tea is I like the taste.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »

I like bottled green tea. CostCo has a bottled green with lemon that is to die for!

• andympanda
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »

I like bottled green tea. CostCo has a bottled green with lemon that is to die for!

It's what i buy, the 16.9 oz diet bottles.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

What's in diet green tea? Is it green tea + sweetener?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you have a functioning liver and kidneys, then you don't need to "detox." These organs do it for you (for free!).
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "detox". It relies on weaselly and undefined terms like "toxins", and it has no scientific validity url="http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance"]second article from the Guardian[/url. I would save my money if I were you, or put it towards buying healthy, low-calorie foods that fit your tastes and dietary habits.

Thanks, I really enjoyed those articles! I'm going to keep them for next time a friends tells me they are doing a cleanse.
  • andympanda
    Options
    z314 wrote: »

What's in diet green tea? Is it green tea + sweetener?

#1 ingredient is water. plus the tea and sweetener. Their is also minute amount of preservatives.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Am I the only one noticing that these detox and fad diet threads are usually started by new members with five or fewer posts ... and that they rarely, if ever, return to their threads?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

Your liver and kidneys already cleanse your body. There is no need to do one of these "detoxes".
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @brianpperkins i noticed that too... and im even new!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What troutsy said. The exact link I was going to post.

If your liver, kidneys, lungs, skin, & colon are functioning within normal parameters, they're doing all the 'cleansing' you need.
    If they're not working, you need to be in intensive care in the hospital. Nothing you eat or drink is going to help at that point.
    (Well, except maybe water... so the tea might be good that way, if you like flavored water.)

When someone uses vague undefined terms (exactly what do you mean by 'toxins' in this context? what does the
    tea do to remove them?) and can't give specific explanations or proof (scientific studies) that their product actually
    does improve health, keep your money. You're talking with a woo peddler.

Toxins do exist, but they're not what the woo peddlers think.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Help to do what? Quench ones thirst? Absolutely.
  • kayl990
    kayl990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm new to this app and I've been reading up on green tea diet and was wondering if any one had tried it :)
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    kayl990 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm new to this app and I've been reading up on green tea diet and was wondering if any one had tried it :)

I have friends who bought some expensive green tea pills from maybe GNC or something like that. They'd have funny smelling burps and I don't think they got any results. My vote would be skip any pills or supplements. Buy green tea if you like the taste, but don't expect weight loss from it (by all means if you drink soda or something, switch to green tea). Spend the money you would've on the pills or whatever on exercise gear or healthy foods instead.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Funny is...i never tried anything

i never really was on a diet ever ..i just cut back

Also this time
    no tea's no detox. shakes, wraps or pills...i just cut back
    And wallaa here i am 101 lighter than 9 months ago.
  • AndrewHendrix93
    AndrewHendrix93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You would have to have a tremendous amount of tea in order to see any actual detox effects. I take a green tea extract supplement every day and it does wonders! :)