More running questions - sorry! Should I be pushing harder and if so how?

Options
I'm in week 4 of my beginner's programme and my trainer says that I should be doing better than I am now - he says I have the core strength and the ability I just need to push myself. The problem is though:

- My shins hurt when I run, I wear compression socks but they still hurt. It's not agonising or anything just sore
- My breathing when running is terrible, even when I run at barely faster than a walk - my trainer says I'm snatching for breath and need to breath deeper but that it's not that bad
- I get dizzy especially if it's hot
- My feet go numb!
- I get panicky when we go somewhere I don't know and I get left behind in the group (I go out running with a beginner's group)

Now really - does this just sound like a bunch of excuses and should I just "power through" them? I've googled some solutions e.g. not lacing my trainers as tight so my feet don't go numb. Am I just being a big baby and making up reasons not to push through?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doesn't sound like you should be pushing harder to me, sounds like you need to ease off if you're still experiencing shin splints? as for the feet going numb, that sounds like your shoes are too tight/small? Are you in half to a size bigger running shoes than your normal ones?

are you hydrated enough? do you drink plenty through the day before you run?

I don't run in a group, but it doesn't seem like a very good one if they just let you get left behind?
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's shin splints, just a bit sore. They are a size bigger than my normal shoes but I think I am lacing them too tight.

I go running at 9am on a Sunday but I make sure to gulp down a pint of diluted squash or water in the hour while I'm getting ready. The coach said not to bring a drink with us.

It's normally really great and I've only been left behind a couple of times but it does panic me - the coach always comes back eventually but it feels like a long time!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Do you think the problems with breathing / dizziness are related to your anxiety or a lack of fitness? Your trainer could be right but it depends really...
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The running coach sounds sensible and as though they won't leave you behind. I think you should just carry on doing what you're doing and it'll get easier eventually. I don't think you should be pushing harder if your shins hurt and there's no harm concentrating on deeper breathing but certainly don't try and go faster until your breathing is comfortable at the pace you're already going.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I don't think he wants me to go faster - I think he wants me to run more, he says I should be able to run 20 mins non-stop by now and everyone else can. If anything he wants me to go slower, he keeps telling me to shorten my stride etc
  • litsy3
    Options
    Yes, good idea, shorten your stride, breathe deeply, and don't worry! Good luck!
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nicola, everyone changes at different rates. Not meaning to be too personal but do you have some background on your weight and exercise levels? There's no one given rate of improvement and if you have gone from never exercising to running you may need more time to adjust.

All the advice above is good with relation to the shin pain and foot numbing. Worth checking out what running shoes you are wearing and if you haven't had one a gait analysis could be a good idea to make sure the shoes you have suit your stride and physiology. I was running for weeks with pained ankles only to find that I needed a shoe with less arch support as this was over-rotating my ankle. New shoes and suddenly pain free.

Finally I would add that pace is so important and in a way a group helps and hinders that. The group will naturally set a pace, if that's too fast for you for consistency then you will be stretching yourself to keep up, wearing out and having to slow to a walk to recover. However if you struggle to keep a consistent pace without an outside indicator (like a group of people) then a group can help. Its also more fun, easier to get motivation and ultimately safer.

I find if I know that I am setting off for a longer run that I will start with a slower pace and force myself not to push too hard too soon as although it may seem ok at the start keeping it up isn't always possible. You may need to look at the pace you are setting, I would challenge you in that anyone can keep up consistent motion for 20mins, the question is what pace you are setting for that. If your trainer says you should be able to run for 20mins that might be fine but it depends what the definition of 'run' is in terms of that pace. You need to experiment and find what pace you can keep for 20mins regardless of what anyone else is doing and then make it a goal to keep that going every run, then try and improve it.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you - I weigh 234lb and I have exercised in the past but I'd had a break of about 6 weeks because of a virus before I started running. I've never run before I started the group.

I had a gait analysis and had the same problem as you - sore ankles which were "fixed" by my shoes.

Yes I think you're right about stretching myself to keep up when I should be setting out slow - my trainer was getting me to slow right down and shorten my strides to a jog that was just above walking pace really.

That's what I'm going to focus on - just running for 20 mins at my pace.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    ... making up reasons not to push through?

If you have shin pain then you don't want to be pushing yourself to go harder or faster, but with respect to the rest it really depends what's meant by doing better. I'd echo the points above about regulating your breathing at your current pace being most important.

From everything that you're describing it sounds like a touch of anxiety might be contributing. Stress can lead to shallower breathing, which is the opposite of what you want when you're running. It might be as well to find some exercises to help you breathe more deeply.
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So I just started running recently, too. It's taken me several months and c25k to be able to run 20m straight and I do it at a 13m/mile pace, which is slooooooow. I had painful shin splints when I started and my doctor recommended taking ibuprofen 30m before a run and icing my shins after. It helps. But continue to take it easy because if you DO have shin splints, the ibuprofen will mask the pain so you feel like you can run forever and end up hurting a lot worse in days to come. If the pain continues, consider taking some time to take a break from running and cross train- work on strength and cardio through other means. It won't derail your goals and it'll give your legs time to heal.

Breathing is SUCH a challenge for me. It takes serious conscious effort to breathe correctly. People may correct me on this, but my husband, who is an avid runner, recommends two quick shallower breaths in and one breath out, repeat that a few times and then one long breath in and out. Try and time your breath to your steps, it'll help you focus. It really does help to get control of it. The times where my breathing is under control, the run feels so much easier but when I'm breathing all erratically, it's so much tougher.

Good luck! Running is so tough sometimes but it's so wonderful to say "I just ran a mile without stopping!" Believe it or not, not everyone in the world can do that!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I want to touch on the panic about being left behind- I used to run with a group- and that was a real concern- we got REALLY far out there sometimes- but that's something you can control on your own by researching your running area- presumably you run from a central location- you may run all 4 directions - but odds are it's from a central location.

Learn that area- clearly you have the internet- and that means you have access to online maps and you're not running fast enough to really travel greater than a 3-5 mile circle around that central location.

Look at the map- draw a circle around it and figure out what the main roads are and learn to use the land marks and street signs- you don't NEED them for that. figure that out on your own and you'll be a lot more confident with where you are going. Get a clue about where the group is going- ask them how far they are running and what's the end goal- or do they just run for time? Ask/tell them- my goal is to run to here- if I get lost what should I do- or tell them if I get left behind I'm going to run to X spot and turn around- that way they know where to look for you.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you - we tend to discuss routes in advance but I've just moved to the area so I'll just nod along blankly - it's one of those places where the roads all get called certain names by the locals etc. I think I am just going to tell them next time we go out to come back for me! I get so embarrassed about it but I guess it's a common-ish thing and as they have all lived in the area forever it's easy to forget I haven't.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thank you - we tend to discuss routes in advance but I've just moved to the area so I'll just nod along blankly - it's one of those places where the roads all get called certain names by the locals etc. I think I am just going to tell them next time we go out to come back for me! I get so embarrassed about it but I guess it's a common-ish thing and as they have all lived in the area forever it's easy to forget I haven't.

You know where you start right?

so look on a map and look at the local land marks- Google Maps updates regularly- most of the things in the area will be there- if they use specific names for roads- ask about the land marks- and when you run- look at where you're running. Only way you're going to get used to running there is to look at where you're running- it's easy to get trapped into "head down" running- but if you aren't familiar with the area- you should be paying more attention.

It's a pretty straight forward solution- so don't panic- just do some research and home work- if you get a chance drive there then get out and walk by yourself with your phone and check the maps to orient yourself better.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you - I'm going to start going out walking with my OH as well so I can familiarise myself with the area x
  • litsy3
    Options
    Don't forget you can always ask for directions too! I always feel a bit paranoid running in new areas (I run by myself, mostly in the countryside), but if there aren't signposts there's usually a helpful farmer or dogwalker...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    but walk up to the dogwalker please.
    I have so many people run up to us. some dogs will see it as a threat

I've had people run/bike past on the dog side and almost lose a calf

just a mini thread hijack
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You could have a myriad of issues. Sore shins could be shin splints or sometimes that muscle gets very tight. The breathing - you just need to relax and focus on it until it becomes more natural to breathe deeply while running. The dizziness is probably related to the breathing issue. Numb feet could be - tight muscles and/or tendons impinging a nerve, shoes that are too small or have a pinch point or a tight toe box etc, or it could be your socks pinching nerves in your feet, or it could be callouses doing the same thing.

I would: A) start planning your routes ahead of time. Sometimes I even write out a list of turns or landmarks to look for during my long runs. B) Get a foam roller or a racquetball and massage your legs every night before bed. C) Focus on breathing and maybe running a hair slower until you are comfortable. I tend to find that my out of breathed-ness sort will get to a point and then it doesn't get any worse unless I'm pushing beyond that point. So you run at a comfortable pace, get comfortable with the feeling there and then ramp it up a little and run at that pace until you are comfortable there, and so on. Also, think about your runs in phases long-slow run or warm up run in the "Green", mid-run or middle distance run in the "Yellow", sprints or fartlek or end of run pushing through the finish line run in the "Red".

Also, join the MFP Long Distance Runners Group, there are a lot of very knowledgeable runners there who can give you good advice!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 4 of my beginner's programme and my trainer says that I should be doing better than I am now - he says I have the core strength and the ability I just need to push myself. The problem is though:

- My shins hurt when I run, I wear compression socks but they still hurt. It's not agonising or anything just sore
    - My breathing when running is terrible, even when I run at barely faster than a walk - my trainer says I'm snatching for breath and need to breath deeper but that it's not that bad
    - I get dizzy especially if it's hot
    - My feet go numb!
    - I get panicky when we go somewhere I don't know and I get left behind in the group (I go out running with a beginner's group)

Now really - does this just sound like a bunch of excuses and should I just "power through" them? I've googled some solutions e.g. not lacing my trainers as tight so my feet don't go numb. Am I just being a big baby and making up reasons not to push through?

If it was me, I would practice on a treadmill. Practice your breathing for a min, then two min, then three min.
    I would also start to stretch more or longer.
  • litsy3
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    but walk up to the dogwalker please.
    I have so many people run up to us. some dogs will see it as a threat

I've had people run/bike past on the dog side and almost lose a calf

just a mini thread hijack

Dogs on the shared paths where I live generally seem well enough trained to cope with bikes, runners and horses, or they'd not be taken on those paths. But I always slow down for them because otherwise they usually want to come with me. If they're small that means I risk treading on them, and if they're large, that means I risk accidentally stealing someone's dog.

I always walk past horses, in case they get spooked.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't push through pain, it often leads to injury (IME).

As for the breathing. During the hard part of my run, I usually count my breathing. Three foot strikes in, three foot strikes out. If that's too fast/slow, I adjust either 4 footstrikes or 2... It's a simple way to make sure that you're inhaling and exhaling evenly.