binge eating

Options
2»

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Kylandme wrote: »
    I know the more I feel pity the more im in this cycle... I guess I have to put up my sleeves and change my diet and count everything... im trying to eat at maintainance for few weeks

You can eat cookies and crisps in maintenance or a deficit. I really recommend logging everything you eat. You might find it's not as many calories as you think when you look at your week as a whole.
  • Kylandme
    Kylandme Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I will try seriously not just for a few days and back to square one! yeah most probably I can eat more variety now that I see it infront of my eyes
  • ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I struggle a lot with binge eating too, and I have found that the two things that help me the most are tracking calories, and exercise. If I exercise, I am less likely to want to eat junk food overall. So if you can get on a regular schedule, you'll hopefully have less cravings...and log everything you eat, no matter how painful. It will help motivate you to not want to do it again tomorrow. I also limit myself to one "bad" item per grocery trip, and intentionally measure one or maybe two portions of that food to eat at a time, and let myself enjoy eating it, savor it -- but in a healthy portion size. If I have a bunch of junk that I love in the house, I get tempted to jump from craving to craving and stuff myself, but if I keep it to just one, and make sure I measure it out, I still get to enjoy the things I love, but not in such an unhealthy and out of control way. I used to stuff myself until I felt like throwing up almost every day...and I still struggle with it, but now it's down to once or month or so that I really go over my calorie limit. I'm hoping to get it down to even less often. It's incredibly hard, but you can do it!
  • Kylandme
    Options
    ewoksrule3 wrote: »
    I struggle a lot with binge eating too, and I have found that the two things that help me the most are tracking calories, and exercise. If I exercise, I am less likely to want to eat junk food overall. So if you can get on a regular schedule, you'll hopefully have less cravings...and log everything you eat, no matter how painful. It will help motivate you to not want to do it again tomorrow. I also limit myself to one "bad" item per grocery trip, and intentionally measure one or maybe two portions of that food to eat at a time, and let myself enjoy eating it, savor it -- but in a healthy portion size. If I have a bunch of junk that I love in the house, I get tempted to jump from craving to craving and stuff myself, but if I keep it to just one, and make sure I measure it out, I still get to enjoy the things I love, but not in such an unhealthy and out of control way. I used to stuff myself until I felt like throwing up almost every day...and I still struggle with it, but now it's down to once or month or so that I really go over my calorie limit. I'm hoping to get it down to even less often. It's incredibly hard, but you can do it!

very good tips ! thankyou
  • mbrough58
    mbrough58 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Some people have cravings for carbohydrates because they are not getting enough sleep. Perhaps you need more sleep.
  • Kylandme
    Options
    mbrough58 wrote: »
    Some people have cravings for carbohydrates because they are not getting enough sleep. Perhaps you need more sleep.

that's true also... I tend to sleep very late
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1. We tend to reach for sugar-dense foods when we deprive ourselves/don't eat enough, since sugar is a quick-fix for energy, but not a healthy one, nor does it help energy wise as it's not sustainable (like with healthy fats, or protein since it's a spike and crash). So your being deficient in protein could be why you reach for such sugary foods.
    2. Over-eating due to deprivation is not the same as binge eating. You may have secondary reactions to over-eating, but it's important to realize first and foremost where the problems with your eating comes from. I've come a lot of people who equate over-eating in large amounts with binge eating, which surely isn't the case. There are a lot of people who aren't in tune with their hunger cues, but binge-eating is a very specific experience in which you eat for emotional, and specifically emotional reasons. It may be exasperated by hunger and whatnot, but when it comes down to it, the triggers for eating such massive amounts are always emotional. From what you've said thus far, the emotions you mention have been secondary (in reaction to the situation, not precipitating it) and surrounding how you see yourself after you eat. I'm not saying you can't have a problem with binge eating because i don't know you and the situation personally, and i'm only going by what you've mentioned. Also, depriving yourself/restricting yourself in the end usually leads to over-eating.
    3. I agree with what was mentioned about. Regardless of what's causing this problem, lose the self-pitying attitude. It'll get you nowhere. It really sucks that you have to deal with this, but there are sucky things we all have to deal with, and what defines you as a person is how you choose to deal with, and hopefully overcome your problems. The things in life worth having tend to take hard work, and your health is definitely something worth having.
    4. If you do have a problem with binge-eating, counting every calorie obsessively is not what you do, and if anything quite the opposite. You should learn to eat with moderation and to eat mindfully, see a therapist for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, or Dialectal Therapy (or psychotherapy, but the first two are the most statistically supported), and once you're recovered, think about going back to using something like a MFP app. If you were obsessively counting calories, it could easily trigger binges, since black and white thinking is at the base of Binge Eating Disorder, Bulimia, Anorexia B/p type, etc. Like i mentioned above, binges are emotionally based - so if you find it has an emotional basis, you can't only focus on the food and tangible aspects. You need to also focus on the emotions driving your food choices, find support groups, and focus on self-care.

Best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know the more I feel pity the more im in this cycle... I guess I have to put up my sleeves and change my diet and count everything... im trying to eat at maintainance for few weeks

I was just going to say, eat at maintenance for a while to stop the binges, and then add in a small deficit.
  • Kylandme
    Options
    yes that's my idea
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How many threads will you start with this?

When she gets a sensible answer to her question.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    mbrough58 wrote: »

Yes, if I don't get enough exercise, I don't sleep well, and then I don't feel like exercising and want carbs. It's a viscous cycle.

Last night, first the thunder, then my neighbors, then the trash truck woke me up, but I forced myself to get a little exercise at lunch and will force myself to exercise a little more after work, and am making sure I eat enough protein in relationship to carbs today.

• kshama2001
    Options
    I don't count calories but I guess like 50 g per day because I focus on carbs... and binge alot

"What if just by making one change in your habits, you could double your weight loss? It may sound too good to be true, but many experts say that the simple act of keeping a food diary can encourage you to eat fewer calories -- and thus lose weight.

...keeping a food diary instantly increases your awareness of what, how much, and why you are eating. This helps you cut down on mindless munching, says Megrette Fletcher, MEd, RD, executive director of The Center for Mindful Eating.

Food diaries also help people identify areas where they can make changes that will help them lose weight, says Victoria Catenacci, MD, assistant professor of Medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. For example, she says, "people don’t realize how many calories they are obtaining from caloric beverages and snacks, and these can be easy interventions … that can help reduce calories."

Sherrie Delinsky, PhD, a staff psychologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, says food diaries can unveil patterns of overeating. They can also reveal identify triggers to avoid, such as not eating enough throughout the day and then overeating at night, or overeating when drinking alcohol.

For some people, the very fact that they have to record every bite helps deter overeating, Delinsky says. Her clients "often reconsider eating something because of not wanting to write it down," she says.

Read more: http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/can-food-diary-help-you-lose-weight
  • Kylandme
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't count calories but I guess like 50 g per day because I focus on carbs... and binge alot

"What if just by making one change in your habits, you could double your weight loss? It may sound too good to be true, but many experts say that the simple act of keeping a food diary can encourage you to eat fewer calories -- and thus lose weight.

...keeping a food diary instantly increases your awareness of what, how much, and why you are eating. This helps you cut down on mindless munching, says Megrette Fletcher, MEd, RD, executive director of The Center for Mindful Eating.

Food diaries also help people identify areas where they can make changes that will help them lose weight, says Victoria Catenacci, MD, assistant professor of Medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. For example, she says, "people don’t realize how many calories they are obtaining from caloric beverages and snacks, and these can be easy interventions … that can help reduce calories."

Sherrie Delinsky, PhD, a staff psychologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, says food diaries can unveil patterns of overeating. They can also reveal identify triggers to avoid, such as not eating enough throughout the day and then overeating at night, or overeating when drinking alcohol.

For some people, the very fact that they have to record every bite helps deter overeating, Delinsky says. Her clients "often reconsider eating something because of not wanting to write it down," she says.

Read more: http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/can-food-diary-help-you-lose-weight

very interesting... u made me more courage to do this !!!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Awareness is very helpful to weight loss and logging your food is critical to awareness :)

It may feel time consuming in the beginning, but once you've logged your foods once they are in there in Frequent and Recent.
  • Kylandme
    Options
    that's true until I get into the habit ;)
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options

It seems more like "when she hears what she wants to hear", regardless of how true it may or may not be. She's been provided with a lot of sensible advice, yet she keeps self-pitying and doesn't tell us she has any intention of applying it. There is no one single answer to binge eating, but there is a number of things she could try, which have been suggested.

Nearly everybody you see post thread after thread on the same topic have the same frame of mind: they merely are looking for comfort in like minded people, not in actual advice, or information. I've yet to come across many people who are truly looking for information and are incredibly open minded, yet post numerous threads on the same topic.

• Kylandme
    Options

It seems more like "when she hears what she wants to hear", regardless of how true it may or may not be. She's been provided with a lot of sensible advice, yet she keeps self-pitying and doesn't tell us she has any intention of applying it. There is no one single answer to binge eating, but there is a number of things she could try, which have been suggested.

Nearly everybody you see post thread after thread on the same topic have the same frame of mind: they merely are looking for comfort in like minded people, not in actual advice, or information. I've yet to come across many people who are truly looking for information and are incredibly open minded, yet post numerous threads on the same topic.

How u come with all the rudeness and accuse that im not applying the info. Yes i am applying some of the tips from today. So bak off. And no i dont need self pity anymore i need results