Stopping Junk Food From Coming in my House

Replies

• Caligirl4soccer
    Caligirl4soccer Posts: 40 Member
    Probably mentioned before, but you can't expect him to give up his munchies. Dedicate a drawer/cupboard to them and train yourself not to look/eat. There will always be munchies around--a party, some lonely night in the house, going to the movies, etc. You will have to train yourself to withstand temptation. Lock up the cupboard if you have to until you feel you have a handle on your cravings, but they are YOUR cravings and YOU, unfortunately, are the one who has to manage them. Good luck!

Thank you
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Kexessa wrote: »
    labohn91 wrote: »
    khh1138 wrote: »
    This discussion seems to come up quite a bit on these discussion boards (I'm new so I've been doing a lot of reading of the old posts). The responses seem to fall into two camps: 1) He should do everything he can to support you, including keeping junk food out of sight and even eating the same food as you, and 2) He should not have to give up the things he loves just because you are on a diet.
    I think I fall somewhere in between. I don't mind that my husband has food that I have to avoid, but there are things he can do to help me resist. For instance, I need to have enough room in the fridge and freezer for all my lean meats and veggies. No problem there. Where we don't quite have agreement is when he suggests eating out way more than I can afford to (in terms of calories). I hate to have to always be in the position of saying no, but there it is. We are trying to compromise by eating out together once a week.

Could you clean out a cupboard for your husband and ask him to put ALL of his indulgent, calorie-laden food in there? That way, you don't have to see it, and if you open that door it's on you. As opposed to having bags of chips and cookies and things strewn all over the kitchen.

Or you could do the "reasonable" thing and get a divorce.

That escalated quickly.

No kidding. It's not just on the OP to be an adult in a two person relationship, because you'd think a reasonable compromise of putting his stuff in his own special cabinet, but still having it accessible for himself would be just fine but judging by some of the reactions here to a legit question god FORBID the other person in the house try not to *kitten* all over the other's attempts to reach personal health goals.

I'm NOT saying OP's husband is like that at all, but you'd think that by all the reactions that he was just requested to freaking cut off a limb or something.

• Acetona
    Acetona Posts: 10 Member
    He should be supportive and not buy so much junk. In fact, he should stop eating it himself.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    It would certainly be nice of him to stop bringing that stuff into the house (my experience- after our first discussion about me trying to eat better because of a health issue (high cholesterol) the husband cut WAY back on the junk he has in the house).
    However, it's a negotiation not an ultimatum situation in my eyes unless you have quite a serious medical issue from your weight and the junk is contributing.
    It sounds like there aren't magic words that are going to get your husband to stop bringing junk food in. However, you can make it easier for yourself to make better choices. We as humans are usually pretty lazy. We pick up what's right in front of our nose most of the time- so maybe put your healthy snack options at your eye level and in the front of the cabinets, and give him a shelf that's higher than you naturally reach for (clearly this works much better if there's a height difference).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited July 2015
    There is no reason for your house to be junk food free for you not to eat it. The two teenagers and wife are still into carbs and the house is full of them but I do not eat them after I went off of sugar and grains 10 months ago. I had to go cold turkey off carbs because I was not able to taper off. The first two weeks was hellish. I was not doing it to lose weight as much as I was to cut my pain level. After two weeks the physical cravings started to fade and so did the mental cravings after a few months. My pain level dropped down from a 7-8 to a 2-3 on a 1-10 scale after being off carbs for 30 days and has not returned. The average loss of 3 pounds a month has been a nice bonus. Being down to 199 pounds for the first time in 22 years is a good feeling too.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    If you are a food addict and can't stay away from your trigger foods, my opinion is that the household HAS to help you through this.
    I am a food addict. My hubby loves junk food and lots of it, so I gave him my list of my 5 trigger foods that simply can't be in my house. If they are, he has to lock them in a briefcase that I don't know the combination. On the occasion he leaves them out, I told him that I must throw them away. It's just too difficult for me to be tempted. I gotta make ONE place in my life that's my safety zone. At work, I'm tortured with goodies and junk all day, every day.
    If you had a drug addict or an alcoholic for a spouse or child, would you torture them with putting their drug in the house? I would think not.
    Addicts need all the support we can get. We have to eat 3 times a day, every day and it's a challenge just to get through that some days. It's NOT just the addict's issue alone.

Your friendly dietitian
    Jenn
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Acetona wrote: »
    He should be supportive and not buy so much junk. In fact, he should stop eating it himself.

Not sure if serious...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2015
    Matahairi wrote: »
    If you are a food addict and can't stay away from your trigger foods, my opinion is that the household HAS to help you through this.
    I am a food addict. My hubby loves junk food and lots of it, so I gave him my list of my 5 trigger foods that simply can't be in my house. If they are, he has to lock them in a briefcase that I don't know the combination. On the occasion he leaves them out, I told him that I must throw them away. It's just too difficult for me to be tempted. I gotta make ONE place in my life that's my safety zone. At work, I'm tortured with goodies and junk all day, every day.
    If you had a drug addict or an alcoholic for a spouse or child, would you torture them with putting their drug in the house? I would think not.
    Addicts need all the support we can get. We have to eat 3 times a day, every day and it's a challenge just to get through that some days. It's NOT just the addict's issue alone.

Your friendly dietitian
    Jenn

Are you a registered dietician?

That seems like a pretty extreme perspective for someone who works with people on their nutritional choices in order to improve their health, for either weight loss or to address a particular medical diagnosis.

• reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    I've always been on the opposite side of things. For the past ten years my husband has been on/off low carb eating. He would get so upset if there were things in the house he didn't want to eat. I try hiding them but he still finds them and eats the entire package (usually in the middle of the night) then blames me for his weight gain. I hate being blamed for his lack of willpower and I'm the one who has to shop and feed the family. There have been times where I will not buy any of those foods and then I'm cleaning out candy wrappers from his pockets when I go to do laundry. So I say screw it and go back to shopping like normal. I take responsibility for my eating and wish he would for his. I would happily lock the things up in a separate cabinet. Maybe you could buy something for him to put those foods in. I love the idea given above about treating it like a roommate's food. Good luck.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited July 2015
    My husband and I go grocery shopping together. He buys his food ... and I buy mine.

There's a yogurt he likes ... so he gets that one.
    There's a yogurt I like ... so I get that one.

He likes full-fat cheese ... I like the light cheese.

He likes cheese and certain type of cracker I'm not that fond of as an after work snack.
    I like cottage cheese and cucumber slices, and occasionally a different type of cracker that he doesn't particularly like.

He buys certain food for his lunches ... I buy different food for my lunches.

He's got bags of peanuts in the cupboard, but I can't eat those because I will painfully bloat up to the size of the Goodyear balloon. So that's one of his go-to snacks when he is hungry.

Even with fruit ... he buys a collection of fruit he likes, and I buy a collection of fruit I like.

Fortunately we are both trying to keep our weight down and trying to eat a reasonably healthy diet. But he works a physically active job so he needs to eat more than I do, therefore I don't mind that there's fruit cake and Anzac Biscuits in the cupboard. I can usually resist both, but have, on occasion included a biscuit or a small slice of cake into my daily intake. :)

The rather funny thing was ...

I was buying low-cal dinners for myself, and he was eating his own thing. But he saw what I was having and thought they looked really good ... so now we eat the same thing for dinner most of time ... "my" food. :smiley:

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm going to be a little contrary here.

Of course it is the husband's house too, and he has the right to have whatever foodstuffs he wants in the house. And certainly OP is going to have to learn with temptation. No question on either of these.

That said, I would jump on a grenade for Mrs Jruzer. So if she asked me to stop bringing certain foods into the house, I would do that out of love for her. I would certainly work with her to come up with a long-term plan that we could both live with, but there's no way I would just ignore her request. Marriage should be about loving compromise in cases like this.

Yep.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    lizskwar wrote: »
    Please give me strong suggestions to have the willpower not to eat junkfood if it is in my face. Some days I'm great but a few days a week I crave junk food and I want to eat more clean
    I don't know what eating clean means. There's nothing wrong with even junk food in moderation. In my house we have a shelf in the pantry for sweets. I know it's there and I treat it like any other food- I have to log it in my diary before I can eat it. That means that, if I have 0 calories left for the day, I am knowingly going over.

As a result, I try to leave 100-200 calories over at the end of the day for an ice cream sandwich or a nice chocolate biscuit. If you make a point of making a small treat a part of your day, the "junk" food is no longer special or bingeworthy.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I agree with your husband. It's your eating plan and your problem, therefore it's you who has to adapt in the world around you, not the other way around.

I have had this discussion with my wife.... the whole house is not on her eating plan so she like you needs to accept what temptation is in the house and rise above it

good luck

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    I took over the shopping and cooking...that helps for me. Maybe you could ask him to hide the treats he wants somewhere so you don't have to see them. Or try buying alternatives he might like just as well...fiber one bars instead of poptarts or something.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    My house looks like an Entenmann's shop, as my husband eats A LOT of junk food. He will sit on the couch next to me with not one but the whole box of donuts on his lap. I, on the other hand, have not eaten grains or sugar in years and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, watching it turns my stomach. I know how good I look and feel and the energy that I have so the temptation just isn't there. Unless you live in a bubble, there will always be occasions where you are surrounded by junk food you just have to change your mindset. Nothing tastes as good as you will feel!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2015
    hearthwood wrote: »
    You're never going to completely get away from junk food, especially if your husband likes to eat it. Why should he suffer because you're losing weight? This is about YOU, not your husband. You're going to have to put it away, (out of site out of mind) and learn to deal with it being in the house, and frankly, all over the world.

^^Word. I've sat at the table and watched my husband and kids eat donuts on a Saturday morning. They know I love them but work them in when I want. You have to start resisting temptations to get the ball rolling. No different than learning to get up at 5am to exercise if that's all you got. When you walk in panera to just grab a coffee you can't ask the cashier to hide the pastries you have to make the decision to skip it. It becomes a lifestyle change and pretty soon it won't bother you as much.

One day at a time.

ETA: I've been victim the other way around too and my husband just made it apparent. I was buying wheat bread only and adding egg whites to his breakfast as one example. He finally confronted me and said "could we please just have some cheap ol white bread in the house?!" Haha. I had to laugh because I didn't even realize I was pushing all my food choices on him (I do all the shopping). So he gets white and I get wheat. He gets brand cereal and I get trader joes. He gets whole milk and I have almond...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My husband and I go grocery shopping together. He buys his food ... and I buy mine.

There's a yogurt he likes ... so he gets that one.
    There's a yogurt I like ... so I get that one.

He likes full-fat cheese ... I like the light cheese.

He likes cheese and certain type of cracker I'm not that fond of as an after work snack.
    I like cottage cheese and cucumber slices, and occasionally a different type of cracker that he doesn't particularly like.

He buys certain food for his lunches ... I buy different food for my lunches.

He's got bags of peanuts in the cupboard, but I can't eat those because I will painfully bloat up to the size of the Goodyear balloon. So that's one of his go-to snacks when he is hungry.

Even with fruit ... he buys a collection of fruit he likes, and I buy a collection of fruit I like.

this is what we do. he has a part of the counter and cupboards and fridge that is his and I have mine. we share the ice cream.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Kexessa wrote: »
    labohn91 wrote: »
    khh1138 wrote: »
    This discussion seems to come up quite a bit on these discussion boards (I'm new so I've been doing a lot of reading of the old posts). The responses seem to fall into two camps: 1) He should do everything he can to support you, including keeping junk food out of sight and even eating the same food as you, and 2) He should not have to give up the things he loves just because you are on a diet.
    I think I fall somewhere in between. I don't mind that my husband has food that I have to avoid, but there are things he can do to help me resist. For instance, I need to have enough room in the fridge and freezer for all my lean meats and veggies. No problem there. Where we don't quite have agreement is when he suggests eating out way more than I can afford to (in terms of calories). I hate to have to always be in the position of saying no, but there it is. We are trying to compromise by eating out together once a week.

Could you clean out a cupboard for your husband and ask him to put ALL of his indulgent, calorie-laden food in there? That way, you don't have to see it, and if you open that door it's on you. As opposed to having bags of chips and cookies and things strewn all over the kitchen.

Or you could do the "reasonable" thing and get a divorce.

That escalated quickly.

No kidding. It's not just on the OP to be an adult in a two person relationship, because you'd think a reasonable compromise of putting his stuff in his own special cabinet, but still having it accessible for himself would be just fine but judging by some of the reactions here to a legit question god FORBID the other person in the house try not to *kitten* all over the other's attempts to reach personal health goals.

I'm NOT saying OP's husband is like that at all, but you'd think that by all the reactions that he was just requested to freaking cut off a limb or something.

Oh yes, the "Special cabinet", or the "secret cupboard" in my house. There will be carnage when I find out where it is.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Maybe you and your husband can meet somewhere in the middle and make a compromise.

While I do agree that you have to be able to adapt to the world around you and deal with the possibility of there always being foods that you would be better off not eating, I also feel that your husband needs to up his support for you. Maybe he can only pick one or two snacks to have in the house. Have you ever asked him to hide them from you?

Out of curiosity, what happens with dinner. Do you cook the food that you want to eat or do you cater it to him and what he wants to eat? Are either of you making a change or a sacrifice for the other?