Does anyone log their binges?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pre-log my binges. Maybe I don't really understand what true binge is...
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I log everything - I weigh once a week so it's about an overall weekly deficit for me. I've had weeks where I can be in excess of my calorie goal all week and still lose. One bad day needn't be the end of the world. I ate far too much ice cream yesterday (damn you B&J!), so it just means that I need to find time to go to the gym today or take the dogs for a hike rather than a walk to maintain my weekly deficit.

As an aside, my uncontrolled eating (dislike use of the word binge!) is often due to allowing myself to be 1. Hungry and 2. Unprepared. I try and have regular snacks between my meals (I find fruit works well - I get the benefit of eating some volume so as to not feel physically hungry, but also get a bit of a sugar lift too) and make sure that I'm prepared in terms of food too - my life is pretty hectic at times so I make sure that I have things I can grab for a decent meal if I haven't pre-made something.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I log it all

I have logged eating a whole pizza before after a 2 1/2 hour bike ride.

In a funny way logging those huge meals and still losing weight long term is proof that this is a long term project.

The only thing I have noticed about huge meals is they often have huge salt content. I like a big pulled pork BBQ meal once in a while. Serious salt bomb!

I hold water a couple days

But weight loss continues on even with a huge meal once in a while

Log it with the same gusto you hammered it down!!!

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    if you log it then, when you look at 'reports - calories - 90 days' you might spot a pattern. it might be triggered by stress or by your hormonal cycle, or it might be entirely random. if you can spot a pattern then that might be a help.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As long as it's no more than 4 Times a month, I am not compulsive about logging it. Whether i log it and the calories are high, or i don't and the calories are low, it's still easy to look back and see which days i overate. I know from experience that up to 4 "cheat" days a month works with my weight loss, so i don't stress about them.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log it when I binge, it's helpful to see just how much damage it does so you can reflect on it later.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I don't binge, but I log everything.

The benefit of logging everything and weighing (at least) weekly, is that you can calculate TDEE. Knowing that accurately will make adjusting weight loss speed (or to maintenance) easier, rather than just guessing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    First of all, I hope you're not calling that a binge. Because it really not.
    Second, I'm in favor of recording it, because then you see in black and white exactly what you've done and you can record the effects of it. It tends to be useful information when contemplating future food choices.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to - I would leave off the 3 glasses of wine post-dinner b/c it was late and I was too lazy to grab my phone or tablet and add them to the day, then I would rationalize the next day that yesterday is over and I should just start fresh. But, I know I am frustrating my own efforts by doing that, so I started logging it all, and have pledged to do it every day for a full month and really see what I am eating.

I am not as good about logging exercise, especially stuff like walking to dog or weeding the garden. I don't do these things every day (my husband and I take turns walking the dogs, and the garden gets tended about twice a week this time of year), but I don't think the calories I burn are really worth counting. I would use them as an excuse to eat, and I am pretty sure I would overindulge because I would have a hard time stopping at a half ounce of cheese or 3 almonds. ;-)
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Log it! Then you won't get frustrated when you're not losing and you can look back and see why :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I log it, because i want accurate records. I also put notes in the Food Notes section of what was going on leading up to the loss of self-control. Sometimes there is something that I can connect and go "ohhhh, ok" and sometimes there's not, but at least hopefully someday it will reveal a pattern if I get enough data. Honestly I hope I never get enough data to figure out the pattern, as I get better and better at not giving in, but that's my thought process anyway
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yep! As best I can. Then I can see what I've done, feel guilty about it move on and do better/ less next time. X it works in your favour x
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know I SHOULD log my binges. But I'm usually drunk and ashamed.
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    its pretty hard to log when all the evidence is burned in the fireplace...
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I try to. It's hard after the fact to remember everything and estimate amounts, but I think it's a good thing to try to do. I don't think about my success or failure as each day, but as a week...I might go crazy eating bad stuff Sunday night, but if I work hard the rest of the week I can even things out. That's a big part of why I like to try to log the bad choices too.
  • joeordinary
    joeordinary Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whats the point of logging at all if you aren't going to hold yourself accountable for it? If you just arbitrarily decide to ignore some of your intake because it's a binge, you're really doing the process, and yourself, a tremendous disservice.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Whats the point of logging at all if you aren't going to hold yourself accountable for it? If you just arbitrarily decide to ignore some of your intake because it's a binge, you're really doing the process, and yourself, a tremendous disservice.

what he said.

I mean, why wouldn't you? not doing it defeats the whole purpose of tracking/logging what we eat
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Logging my binges is the main thing that keeps me accountable... seeing all those calories is an eye-opener. And jumping on the scale the next day is part of it, too. Actually, because I log all of it I have found myself bingeing far less than I did 6 months ago.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I would log it. It's important to log it all, even the bad things.

• angelasfree1
    angelasfree1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I never log my binge days but there are so many times when I wished I did (in fact, every time!). Like, if I ended up losing that week I could look back and say "Ooh, actually I wasn't as bad as I thought day (weekend!)"