• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Jane, yes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    frumpjunk wrote: »
    Ok. I couldn't find regular Special K, but the Special K Protein is 120 calories. I'm not going to tell you to not eat Special K, but for 30 calories more (150 calories), you can eat a hot bowl of oatmeal. Mix in Splenda and cinnamon and it's delicious. Or mix in some Splenda, chopped strawberries, and a little milk and make Strawberries and Cream. So good and it fills you up much better than Special K.

I often find that what tastes good to someone and what "fills you up" varies wildly between people. The OP might find Special K perfectly filling. The might not. That's certainly something that they need to consider when making breakfast choices, but I don't think that we can say definitively that oatmeal will fill them up better.
  • Nickeybody
    Nickeybody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank u great idea!!!
  • mabanfield
    mabanfield Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carb goals DO matter if you are diabetic. a higher protein, lower carb diet keeps your blood sugar levels steady. Cheerios (plain) are much lower in carbs than Special K, but if you love Special K, then eat it, just make sure you are adding protein and fibre somewhere. Thats the trick..don't deprive yourself , just be resonable.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    mabanfield wrote: »
    Carb goals DO matter if you are diabetic. a higher protein, lower carb diet keeps your blood sugar levels steady. Cheerios (plain) are much lower in carbs than Special K, but if you love Special K, then eat it, just make sure you are adding protein and fibre somewhere. Thats the trick..don't deprive yourself , just be resonable.

The OP is NOT a diabetic!!!!!! ***triplefacepalm***
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options

If it helps you meet your nutritional goals and you enjoy the taste, why avoid a food just because it's in a box?
    I used to ask myself that. Then I had a wake call a couple of years ago. I switched to fresh foods. In the 5 months that followed, I stopped all my meds, lost 50 pounds, and have been able to maintain that coming up on 3 years now. If I WAS going to eat cereal it would be Lucky Charms and I'd eat the marshmallows first!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lucstone wrote: »

If it helps you meet your nutritional goals and you enjoy the taste, why avoid a food just because it's in a box?
    I used to ask myself that. Then I had a wake call a couple of years ago. I switched to fresh foods. In the 5 months that followed, I stopped all my meds, lost 50 pounds, and have been able to maintain that coming up on 3 years now. If I WAS going to eat cereal it would be Lucky Charms and I'd eat the marshmallows first!!

That's great that you were able to lose weight, reduce your medications, and now maintain while eating "fresh foods". To be clear though, it's the calorie deficit that enabled you to do that, which can also be done by eating boxed cereal, even Lucky Charms!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not on any medications, I am at goal weight, and I am maintaining. Why should I avoid a food simply because it is in a box? I didn't reach my goal weight by avoiding boxed foods.

It sounds like you found something that worked for you. But why is it now a guideline for everyone else?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Let me repeat:
    Let's keep this general, people. OP asked if it was okay to eat Special K. Big picture, it's okay to eat. Several of you are answering the question as it pertains to yourself. I don't think the OP asked if you specifically could eat Special K cereal. Yes, for some people with specific health issues, there may be reasons this particular cereal may not be a good choice. However, for the general public, and even for someone eating low carb, it would be perfectly fine to eat one bowl of Special K for breakfast now and then.
    Any food is okay to eat in moderation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thank u great idea!!!

Sorry, whose great idea were you responding to? I just wanted to see which one of these suggestions resonated with you.

• Serah87
    Options

I lost 121 pounds, eating in moderation, doing 80/20, now maintaining for 10 months now. I also had heart disease and no longer have it, still eating all foods in moderation. ;)
  • Serah87
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »

Let me repeat:
    Let's keep this general, people. OP asked if it was okay to eat Special K. Big picture, it's okay to eat. Several of you are answering the question as it pertains to yourself. I don't think the OP asked if you specifically could eat Special K cereal. Yes, for some people with specific health issues, there may be reasons this particular cereal may not be a good choice. However, for the general public, and even for someone eating low carb, it would be perfectly fine to eat one bowl of Special K for breakfast now and then.
    Any food is okay to eat in moderation.

Agree.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything. As long as you stay in a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    No. You'll turn into big pink creepy dinosaur if you eat it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    anyone try there cereals is it a good part of a diet or is it too many carbs?

Original Special K has decent protein numbers, add some 2% milk (for fat and protein) and 1/2 a banana (for fiber) and you have a filling breakfast that sticks with you awhile.

I gave up on the "flavored" Special K's.....the protein went missing, and they have almost no fiber either (I can do better).

Filling?! I could eat a whole box of Special K with milk and banana, and still be hungry. In fact, I've done just that multiple times. All I ended up with was a trip to the store to find more to eat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If the OP want to eat cereal, it hurts nobody else. She can't damage your health by eating her Special K.

My cat is preparing to eat a fly. I don't know where that fly has been, but I'm guessing it has visited places that aren't good. I certainly wouldn't eat it. But it will do me no harm when she eats it.

Let the OP eat her cereal.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    anyone try there cereals is it a good part of a diet or is it too many carbs?

Do you enjoy eating it? If so, see Macro's for fitablity
  • Nickeybody
    Options
    Your so mean!!!
    No. You'll turn into big pink creepy dinosaur if you eat it.

• Nickeybody
    Options
    Thank u
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You can eat anything. As long as you stay in a deficit, you'll lose weight.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If the OP want to eat cereal, it hurts nobody else. She can't damage your health by eating her Special K.

My cat is preparing to eat a fly. I don't know where that fly has been, but I'm guessing it has visited places that aren't good. I certainly wouldn't eat it. But it will do me no harm when she eats it.

Let the OP eat her cereal.

What kind of frog doesn't want to eat a fly?! 8D