PROTEIN.... HOW MANY GRAMS A DAY TO YOU EAT?

124»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I try to get 150+ daily, but don't always get it. I just finished lunch and am at 96g so far, so basically on track today.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    I usually hit 120 g daily, which is not hard for me as I sometimes hit 150 g without even trying. The only time I have problems hitting my protein goal is when I travel and carbs are just easier to consume on the road. Even then, I'm hitting 100 g daily.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    arv51862 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is that the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range is 10-35% of calories for protein. So at 3000 calories that's up to about 250 grams/day, at 1200 it's about 100 grams as a ceiling.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/ puts me at 65 grams.

OMG, Sorry but that calculator is WAYYYYYYYYYYY off !
    If I followed that sites advice, I would be morbidly obese

Really? The USDA calculator put me within 100 calories of my calculated TDEE, far from morbid obesity. Of course, these are guidelines for health care professionals, so in theory this would be a starting point and a follow up should have your calorie intake adjusted if you are gaining/losing weight and following the guideline.

So what is your real problem with it? My only problem is with their description of activity levels (which hopefully the health care professionals would have recognized). Very active should be professional/college sports players who practice daily for 5-6 hours and play on the weekends.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Another way of looking at it is that the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range is 10-35% of calories for protein. So at 3000 calories that's up to about 250 grams/day, at 1200 it's about 100 grams as a ceiling.

The calories look about right for me, but the macros are way off what I prefer, and I think it's odd that it recommends the minimum for protein but a wide range for carbs and fat.

Also, I looked up the reasoning for the 10-35% percentage recommendation (mainly to see if it varied for someone on a deficit) and the reasoning was pretty lame: this is what's leftover based on our recommended fat and carbs ranges. Given that the carbs range is 45-65% (which is more than I eat, and I don't do anything close to a low carb plan), the number seems to be based on an assumption that people need way more carbs than they in fact do. (Many people can thrive on that range, but claiming it's the "healthy" range is a different story--I think there's much more flexibility than that.)

It also ignores the benefits that have been found re higher protein levels.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Theoretically I should be eating around 100 grams (1g per lb lean body mass) but I have a hard time getting over 80 most days. If I eat a quest bar in the afternoons I can hit it.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    50-90 on average.
  • zoina_
    zoina_ Posts: 2 Member
    (based on 1gr per body pound for overweight-not obese - people)
    160gr per day since i am trying to lose fat and maintain or even build muscle. While i am leaning down i will readjust it until i get to the point of 1gr per pound of lean body mass :smile:
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    I aim for my lean body mass, which comes to around 190 g's. I dont always hit it daily because im on a strict food budget at the moment, but I always try to come close.
  • u74s1r
    u74s1r Posts: 2 Member

I'm constantly hitting 200+

If you're living an active lifestyle, in the gym regularly and lifting heavy you probably need that. Just keep in mind that with the protein increase there should also be an H2O increase due to the extra work the kidneys have to do in order to eliminate all of the protein byproducts.

More importantly however is WHERE this protein coming from. Lean cuts of meat? Protein shakes/drinks? A small protein "boost" via drink/shakes is ok but one should NEVER rely on unnatural means to increase his protein as a majority or sole source. There is absolutely NO substitute for getting the majority of your protein via real food.

Many young people, the 20s-30s stereo-typical gym rats, make the mistake of doing protein loading post-workout and as a result become deficient in many other minerals essential to good health and body function.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The calories look about right for me, but the macros are way off what I prefer, and I think it's odd that it recommends the minimum for protein but a wide range for carbs and fat.

Also, I looked up the reasoning for the 10-35% percentage recommendation (mainly to see if it varied for someone on a deficit) and the reasoning was pretty lame: this is what's leftover based on our recommended fat and carbs ranges. Given that the carbs range is 45-65% (which is more than I eat, and I don't do anything close to a low carb plan), the number seems to be based on an assumption that people need way more carbs than they in fact do. (Many people can thrive on that range, but claiming it's the "healthy" range is a different story--I think there's much more flexibility than that.)

It also ignores the benefits that have been found re higher protein levels.

I think the data is from 2010, it gets updated I believe every 10 yrs or so. It should be updated more often.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I get between 150 and 200. Don't really stress to much about it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    And the thing is, if I increased by activity level the only thing that went up was carbs. Protein, fat, fiber all stayed the same. So, with more activity I should add more low fiber carbs?
    more energy out more carbs in, carbs are only energy, I see no contradiction.

Futile carbohydrate cycling has its followers.

• VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    I'm adding muscle. Body weight is 185 lb.; protein intake is 185 gm., minimum. Fish, lean poultry, bison. More fish. Whey isolate. I also take branch chain amino acids.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    I have had about 50g of protein today. My sodium the last few days has been way over though :'( I made this tortellini asparagus alfredo bake thing, and that sauce killed me :'(
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    100-200 grams a day

100 on rest days
    150 on regular gym days
    200 on boot camp style workout days

5'6", 28 years, 200lbs, 30lbs lost already.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I aim for 140-160
    Past few weeks looks like the average for the week was 120-155

I'm like 96 kg with I think mid 20s bf%

So I think that works out to about 155g a day.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    I'm on 82g on non-lift days and 139 on lift days.
  • Sramey8
    Sramey8 Posts: 1 Member
    How can I find out the amount of protein, carbs and fat to eat?
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    My goal is 110g but I generally only actually eat 50 - 70g :(
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    How do you guys do it?? I can never actually get to 100g a day.
  • Merkavar
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    How do you guys do it?? I can never actually get to 100g a day.

Moroccan lentils, blue grenadier fish seem to have large protein to calorie ratios.

• Kimegatron
    If you eat so much protein, why does MFP give you such a low goal? Man oh man, I thought I was doing alright! I hate lentils or legumes so very much, and I was getting between 40-70g a day :'(
  • Merkavar
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    If you eat so much protein, why does MFP give you such a low goal? Man oh man, I thought I was doing alright! I hate lentils or legumes so very much, and I was getting between 40-70g a day :'(

Pretty sure the number in mfp is the minimum, not maximum.
  • Kimegatron
    Oh, then I am far too low. It is really hard for me. I'm a vegetarian, and a picky eater. I guess I will take what I can get, ha ha!
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »

Pretty sure the number in mfp is the minimum, not maximum.

Oh, then I am far too low. It is really hard for me. I'm a vegetarian, and a picky eater. I guess I will take what I can get, ha ha!
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    100-130g! 100g would probably be the lowest (no exercise)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    I usually get a minimum of 250gms but my bodyweight is around 260. Protein requirements differ depending on the amount of calories you eat and the amount of muscle you carry. If you eat more, you can get away with less protein. Those dieting typically need more than someone that is not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Over 100g (0.64g per lb bodyweight as a minimum for me)

And from food ..egg whites, Greek yogurt, chicken, steak etc
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Over the past 15 weeks, I've averaged about 169 g of protein. I'm 5'8", 145 lb, and 70 yo.

I'm somewhat active, some days; I average about 20-25 miles/week, running, and average about the same distance (or 5-10 miles more), walking.