1200 calories? Anybody doing it?

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    So I am an unusual example. 48 yo male, starting weight 258. Current weight 241 - 8 weeks into program.

I am doing 1200-1300 per day - and that is NOT net - that is total. I am working out every other day - cardio and weightlifting.

I weigh everything I eat on a digital scale.

Everyone's metabolism is different. I felt mine slowing down, and I have a sedentary job. There are so many variables that go into what you need to eat. For me, 1200 is fine... I am not hungry except at meal time. No symptoms AT ALL of "starvation mode".

R
    Please eat more. As a male, eating this low is probably not a very good idea and not recommended to anyone unless they're under the direct supervision of a medical professional. Please eat at least 1500 total. Your workouts and weights will be so much more effective if you give your body what it needs.
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and I always have been. It's very rare that I go over and if I do it's within the exercise calories I've burned. I have no problem with it, you just need to pick food that's going to fill you up.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not everyone. Women who put in a goal of losing 2 pounds a week but don't necessarily need to lose at the rate of 2 pounds a week: end up with 1200 as a goal.

I'm at maintenance - but while losing generally ate in the 1400-1600 range. 1200 was just too low for me. Now I'm at maintenance, and 'making up' for some summer/vacation splurges so aiming for 1500-1600. I don't exclude any particular food items, enjoy 'treats' and eat fast food. I COULD do 1200 I suppose if I tried hard enough. But I don't see where I need to do that. Maintenance for me is ~1800.
    So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories... I was wondering how many people actually are? And how it is going for you?

Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people. I am just curious about if it's working for some.

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I do eat at the 1200. I do weigh my food (though I dont always change the settings when I log because I know I used the weight, not the "cup", " tbsp", etc). I do exercise. I have lost 87 pounds in the last 11 months, so at a decent pace. I have full, thick hair, clear skin, strong nails, and I feel great.
    It is a very individual thing. Because I had to go through menopause in my early 20's and am not on HRT, my doctor recommended that I stay 1000-1200 calories. I am also not short...5'7.5. I would not advise other to go that low unless medically supervised, but I think it is wrong to assume that all those doing so are miserable, starving, or inadvertently overeating!
    I am just a few pounds from maintenance - actually my original goal was to lose 75 - and I will increase intake at that time.
  • LeonardReyes
    LeonardReyes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for below 1200 on my plan. I'm always full! Chicken and fish and lots of greens (I gave up rice). Sometimes I can't believe I'm actually on a diet!
  • puja25
    puja25 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat around 1200 around weekdays, then on weekends it goes up to 2000 or more than that. I find it hard to stay under 2000 on weekends as its family time, going out , eating. Plus I have sedentary lifestyle. I sit at home work on my comp or study !! so I focus on weekly average rather than day to day calories intake. I have been losing. I started in march. I am 27 pounds down.
    p.s I weigh all my food
  • jodokast89
    jodokast89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ate at or under 1200 for 6+ months, overall lost 85lbs in about 8.5 months
    enjfrwn3rq7y.jpg
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories... I was wondering how many people actually are? And how it is going for you?

Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people. I am just curious about if it's working for some.

MFP started me at 1560... But I ate closer to 1200-1300... Now that I'm down so much, it dropped my calories to 1360... But I'm still staying in the 1200-1300 range most days. I don't eat back my exercise calories either because I just don't trust MFP calculations...

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Most people who eat 1200 calories, who say they feel fine on that, usually don't weigh their food, so most likely they are eating more then 1200 cals. That's why they lose weight slower. :)
    And, as usual, you are wrong.

I weigh mine. I averaged 1147 last month.
  • fpsrandy
    fpsrandy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started MFP about two months ago; my typical day was minimum 4500 cals.

Based on my height and because I am very sedentary, MFP suggested around 1600cals for 1lbs/week. I initially struggled with this, but a month ago I switched 2/lbs week and now I am suggested to eat 1300cals.

For the last two weeks I have actually had to force myself to have an extra bowls of cereal, or eat a bit more, just to get a minimum of 1200 cals. Once you get used to it, it's not bad. I don't get hungry or struggle to keep under.

I found when I was reducing, I had to find foods that made me feel fuller but had less calories. Different things work for different people, but it meant reducing carbs and increasing protrien and fiber.

1/2c Cottage cheese with a bit of ED Smith no sugar jam (its 10cals/tbls for the jam) was a tasty way to fill myself up (I also was able to put potassium chloride in it, as I find it hard to get proper potassium intake); I initially was eating 1c with two tbls of jam to replace a meal (less than 250cals), but I had to watch what I ate for my other two meals to make sure I had proper nutrient intake.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jodokast89 wrote: »
    Ate at or under 1200 for 6+ months, overall lost 85lbs in about 8.5 months
    enjfrwn3rq7y.jpg

great results, congrats. but, if you were eating 1500-1600 calories instead it would have taken longer to get to your goal, but probably would have been in the 165-175 lb range and 13% BF%, with the difference being more muscle mass.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Most people who eat 1200 calories, who say they feel fine on that, usually don't weigh their food, so most likely they are eating more then 1200 cals. That's why they lose weight slower. :)
    And, as usual, you are wrong.

I weigh mine. I averaged 1147 last month.

And, as usual, you are wrong, again. :)

• jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1200 calories a day and normally eat around there. If I'm being honest, probably about half of the time I end up eating closer to 1300-1400 calories because it's more realistic for me. Heck, probably once a week I have a treat and eat closer to 1600 calories. I've been losing about 1-1.5lbs a week. I'm sure I could lose more than that, but I'm trying to change my eating habits for good, and I know I won't be able to maintain 1200 calories a day. Slow and steady for me, but I have a lot of respect for people who can very strictly stick to 1200 calories a day!
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I weigh everything I eat and I'm fine on 1200.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Terri6627 wrote: »

I weigh everything I eat and I'm fine on 1200.

Do you net 1200 calories??

I'm 46, 5'2, to lose weight I eat between 1600-1900 calories depending on exercises.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm one of those weirdos who rocks it out at around 1200. I'm 5'3, and I've lost 30lbs. I net about 1000 calories a day. Tons of energy, hair is thick, nails aren't falling out, haven't turned into a lizard or whatever.

I weigh my food, too. I actually struggle to get to 1200 some days. Like on Monday night, I was at 900something and was like, 'oh darn, time for double the ice cream.'
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those weirdos who rocks it out at around 1200. I'm 5'3, and I've lost 30lbs. I weigh my food, too. I actually struggle to get to 1200 some days. Like on Monday night, I was at 900something and was like, 'oh darn, time for double the ice cream.'

On other issue with less than 1200 cals is it is difficult to get an adequate amount of fat, protein, vitamins and mineral on less than 1200. Even at 1200 cals there is very little wiggle room to hit your nutrition, and the ice cream at 1200 calories probably kept you from hitting either macros or micros that you need. If you eat 1500+ cals it is much easier to fit in treats and such and still get the required nutrition.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is interested in getting all their macros or micros. Different people, different goals! It's cool. But 1200 calories doesn't leave much room for empty-calorie items. If you want to be as healthy as you can be, there won't be room for candy and ice cream and stuff.
  • mollysw
    mollysw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200. I can usually stick to it. Snacks are what mess me up and make me go over. I just started again last Wednesday and I've already lost 4 lbs.
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for almost two years, and it works for a while but then your body recognizes the low calorie diet for what it is and you hit a plateau!