1200 calories? Anybody doing it?

Options

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 for a few months when I started and at first I lost weight but then stalled or weeks and weeks. I also felt cold and ill all the time however I do not and never have had that much to lose. As an older woman I am working to lose lb 22 in total and I am not very good at this in any way lol
  • mollysw
    mollysw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also I am tracking macros too and I am totally hitting them. You just can't be eating junk. Which is pretty much the point! Like yesterday I had 94g of protein, 100g of carbs, and 36 g of fat.
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 net for a month now. Its usually 1300-1400 + one hour walk on the treadmill and get to 10K steps on my fitbit daily . So far, I seem to averaging between .5 to 1 pound a week. I'm also 42 yo, 5'2", 30+ overweight and I think age/slower metabolism seems to make it easier for me to eat around this amount without getting hangry, but I lose weight more slowly. I think the wisest decision is to find the calorie/exercise combo that makes you lose weight slowly. I wish you the best, my friend!=)
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Terri6627 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Most people who eat 1200 calories, who say they feel fine on that, usually don't weigh their food, so most likely they are eating more then 1200 cals. That's why they lose weight slower. :)

I weigh everything I eat and I'm fine on 1200.

Do you net 1200 calories??

I'm 46, 5'2, to lose weight I eat between 1600-1900 calories depending on exercises.

It's not net it's total. On very rare days I'll eat back some of my exercise calories but they're few and far between.

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    At first I thought people were crazy eating at 1200, but people actually do it. it works for some, others they can't handle the restriction. Me, I'm around 2000-2500.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdos who rocks it out at around 1200. I'm 5'3, and I've lost 30lbs. I weigh my food, too. I actually struggle to get to 1200 some days. Like on Monday night, I was at 900something and was like, 'oh darn, time for double the ice cream.'

On other issue with less than 1200 cals is it is difficult to get an adequate amount of fat, protein, vitamins and mineral on less than 1200. Even at 1200 cals there is very little wiggle room to hit your nutrition, and the ice cream at 1200 calories probably kept you from hitting either macros or micros that you need. If you eat 1500+ cals it is much easier to fit in treats and such and still get the required nutrition.

You are correct. I have macro and micro nutrient goals, sometimes I don't meet them, but I always try to. I think you could say the same for yourself. 1200 cals is not my forever lifestyle. I have a wedding dress to fit into!

And yes, I'm going to up it to maintenance and lift heavier weights later to recomp a bit.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    53M here, I've been on the 1200 calorie thing since April, Started out good as far as weight loss but everything slowed considerably after losing about 15 pounds. I have tweaked my macro's a little, increased protein from 20% to 30% (60g to 90g), decreased fat from 30% to 20% (40g to 27g), & increased my sugar allowance as I was feeling what felt like low blood sugar after several months... (increased 45g to 75g but often go over that # depending on how I feel)
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdos who rocks it out at around 1200. I'm 5'3, and I've lost 30lbs. I weigh my food, too. I actually struggle to get to 1200 some days. Like on Monday night, I was at 900something and was like, 'oh darn, time for double the ice cream.'

On other issue with less than 1200 cals is it is difficult to get an adequate amount of fat, protein, vitamins and mineral on less than 1200. Even at 1200 cals there is very little wiggle room to hit your nutrition, and the ice cream at 1200 calories probably kept you from hitting either macros or micros that you need. If you eat 1500+ cals it is much easier to fit in treats and such and still get the required nutrition.

You are correct. I have macro and micro nutrient goals, sometimes I don't meet them, but I always try to. I think you could say the same for yourself. 1200 cals is not my forever lifestyle. I have a wedding dress to fit into!

And yes, I'm going to up it to maintenance and lift heavier weights later to recomp a bit.

Congrats on the impending wedding ! =o)
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 and don't eat back my exercise calories---works like a charm for me, although if I am 100 or 200 over a time or two a week I don't stress.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I started my goal was 1500 and I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. I e revise everyday but done eat extra. I have actually lost 12 lb I. 7 weeks (2 a week but 1 lb for last 2 weeks)! Going to try reducing my daily calories to see if I can lose 2 lb again, never given 1200, not sure I could manage that
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me my weekly average is about 1200 per day, but I don't have that set for a goal. I did for the first day (well, first few hours actually!), but then changed to 1lb per week loss because 1200 seemed to be a very fine line - under wouldn't be healthy (for me), and over would be some kind of failure (in my head).

So, my goal is now 1430 cals per day but I'm averaging about 1200. I don't eat snacks very often because they make me miss my nutrition goals, but it's nice to know I can have something and still be within my calorie goal.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I also eat under 1200 calories per day and I feel fine, my hair is thick, etc. I am almost 60 yo, 5'2" tall, have lost 30lbs at this point and only about 7 more to go, light activity because of health restrictions but I'm doing as much as I can handle. I don't eat my exercise calories. I do not feel deprived at this level of calories and I do have treats from time to time, I just have to work them into my daily count. By the way, MFP no longer issues a warning when you eat under 1200. You do get the warning if you eat under 1000 calories.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think the conclusion here should be that everyone is different. You have to listen to your body... for an older guy like me with a sedentary job, 1200 is working. I feel great, losing weight at not quite 2 lbs per week, good workouts, sleep, etc.

The moment I feel deprived I promise to change it up and add calories.

R
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories... I was wondering how many people actually are? And how it is going for you?

Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people. I am just curious about if it's working for some.

What you "know" is wrong. It is best to start things with an open mind rather than deciding what you "know" right off.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 240 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I would not be able to live on 1200 calories per day. I am now at 1,440 calories per day and set at losing 2 pounds per week, but I am thinking of changing that to 1.5 pounds per week, since I am hungry too often. This is not a quick fix but a lifestyle change, so I know being hungry all the time is not sustainable for long.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories... I was wondering how many people actually are? And how it is going for you?

Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people. I am just curious about if it's working for some.

Actually MFP doesn't recommend 1200 for everyone. It currently recommends that I NET 1383 calories for 1 lb per week loss. My average intake is typically 1800-2000 calories (although the past 30 days it has been 2195). When I keep my total intake in the 1800-2000 calorie range, I lose 1 - 1.3 lbs on average per week. This past 30 days, I have averaged 0.6 lbs per week.

Things about me:
    5'4.5"
    131.7 - 133 lbs fluctuating
    (highest adult weight was 260 lbs)

Current 28 Day step average: 13,275 (16% increase over the previous 28 days)
    Current 7 day average: 16,605

Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (lifting) 3 x a week
    Cardio 2-3 x a week

I weigh my food on a food scale unless I'm eating at a restaurant or someone else's house. I even weigh slices of bread and single serve packages to try and minimize the amount of errors in my logging.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    People are saying you lose more lean muscle on 1200 per day... Why would this happen at 1200 and no other calorie goal? Isn't a deficit a deficit?
  • bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories but I'm only on day 3. :-( So far I'm fine with it and I exercise and I don't eat back those calories.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »
    People are saying you lose more lean muscle on 1200 per day... Why would this happen at 1200 and no other calorie goal? Isn't a deficit a deficit?
    When you aren't getting enough protein and other nutrients your body will cannibalize itself to ensure your heart has the nutrients it needs to continue to beat. The larger your deficit, the less likely you're eating enough nutrients to maintain your organs, then the more likely your body will cannibalize "unimportant" muscle (like your biceps or quads) in order to maintain the "important" muscle (your heart).

Edit to add: your intestines are also a long bit of muscle your body will cannibalize other parts of your body in order to maintain. Your blood vessels also need protein. All of these organs are more important than your 6-pack, which your body will devour in order to feed the other needs. All of these organs have 24-hour per day protein/nutrient needs.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »
    When you go way below your BMI, you lose more muscle 95% people should be eating more then 1200 calories. Yes MFP sets them at 1200 cals BUT your suppose to eat back the majority of your burn cals. Right now I am doing a cut, I'm eating between 1600-1900 cals to lose weight, yes I will lose some muscle, but if I keep my proteins up, don't go low calories and keep up with my lifting I won't lose as much. Hope that helps.