"If you're fat and lose weight, you're probably gonna get fat again"

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Meh, a lot of people who lose a ton of weight do it through medical VLCDs and fad diets. You can even add the surgical folks as well. I would expect those people to gain a lot of weight back since the probably never learned anything about nutrition to begin with.

I would be interested in seeing how many people gained weight back AFTER learning just the basics of weight loss.

I did, and after maintaining for 5 years.

What makes me both cautious about claiming I won't this time, but also not too worried about stats like those in the article, is that I did because--for various life reasons and things I don't totally understand--I stopped caring. I know how to protect against weight gain, but I don't know how to insure that I will care enough to do those things. I would assume I should--it seems easy enough--but I know I didn't once, despite knowing most of what I know now. (I do think I have more insight into my own psychology and am less prone to want to blot out feelings and all that, which should help. I also think I have more insight into the external things that made it easier and harder, like being surrounded by people who could reinforce the positive behaviors.)

But I'm not too concerned about it, because I don't think the fact I regained was that horrible a thing. Sure, I wish I'd caught it sooner, but having lost it once made it easier to lose again, and I had confidence I could and would.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    That seemed like a lot of whining to tell people to eat clean.

Anyway...

I find it very interesting the amount of studies out there about people regaining or losing quickly versus slow compared to the amount of articles that actual dive into the actual methods of losing weight. Not how fast...but counting calories, macros, intuitive eating, diet pills, surgery, clean eating, exercise habits and their impacts on utilizing any of these methods, whatever. It's easy to look at whether or not people keep weight off. What would be interesting is to see is how people are succeeding, not how they are failing. How many of those people failing are utilizing trendy methods versus those succeeding with more factual methods.

We see it all the time. How many times do those of us losing weight or that have succeeded at weight loss get questioned about how we succeeded and receive a disappointed look after we answer. All the info out there is so muddled and misleading that people literally look to hear "I stopped eating bread and lost 100 pounds" or "I took X pill and it just started falling off." IMO it has a lot to do with the fact that there isn't much done and high promoted that shows true weight loss habits. All you get are articles posted on pinterest telling you to drink water, drop carbs and do crunches to reduce your belly fat.

But those deep dives don't happen because the people releasing these statistics generally have monetary interest in promoting one thing over the other.

Or maybe the research is out there and people just don't want to believe it because they want a quick fix. If it was truly promoted (and it probably won't be because long term success habits aren't easy to make money off of), the stats may be different.

All I know is, any time someone in my life talks about healthy habits, it's usually things that will not lead to success.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    my thoughts are that 95% of people who are overweight and lose weight will regain the weight because they talk a good talk about living a more healthful lifestyle, but really it only ends up being temporary. They never actually adopt a healthier lifestyle...they just go back to same old same old.

I've maintained my weight loss for over two years largely because I've adopted a healthier way of eating than I used to and regular exercise is a huge part of who I am now vs. who I was just three years ago.

Everyone controls their own destiny...most just fail at making long term, sustainable life changes.

I agree, but this thread makes me think: everyone says "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle." This irks me. I'm not interested in fad diets, by no means. But cutting out 250 (or many more) calories a day is not meant to be a lifestyle. It does indeed have an end point (maintenance). THEN, maintenance is what I would deem a new lifestyle. I think this is part of the problem. Understanding that the deficit portion is actually temporary, and planning for a maintenance transition. I think about it all the time. I envision myself at my goal weight and think about how I will "spend" those extra calories...will I simply eat 250 calories more each day? Exercise less? Continue to eat at a deficit during the week so I can really indulge on the weekends?

It's sort of like people who spend years planning their wedding...without any thought about what it's actually going to be like BEING MARRIED.

the "lifestyle" isn't necessarily the calories you're consuming or counting calories...it's adopting a more healthful diet...adopting regular exercise as a way of life...eating for health and well being, not just for weight management.

I don't count *kitten*...I don't log..haven't for over two years...I maintain very easily because I've adopted a dietary lifestyle that is rich in whole food nutrition...it is not impossible for me to overeat, but it is much more difficult for me to overeat with the way I eat...and like I said, regular exercise is a big part of the new me. Maintaining a healthy weight and being lean and fit is a bi-product of living a healthful life...that's where pretty much everyone goes wrong.

I didn't just cut calories...you're always going to have calorie adjustments because maintenance isn't some fixed number...I adopted a new way of eating...yes, I have some "junk" here and there...I go out for pizza every few weeks with my boys and I have treats here and there...but that kind of stuff is de minimis. I have adopted a new "normal"...that is where people fail.

I've learned to listen to my body...I know the difference between hungry and bored...I know when I need food for recovery from, say a 50 mile ride...and I know what kind of food I need for said recovery. I've become far more in tune with my body since I dumped the diary. Don't get me wrong, it was a great teaching tool...but I think people get so wrapped up in some number...as if their TDEE was exactly that number...it is not.

Ah, that's different than the faithful loggers (that's what I am right now). I've tried many times in the past to not count calories, and I failed, despite eating mostly healthy food, because I still ate too much for my stats. I still eat mostly healthy, nutrient-rich food to allow for both a calorie deficit and an overall healthier life. But I also count, and I believe I will continue to count in maintenance.

Regardless, either method should include some thought process about how one will continue to maintain in the future. I think too many people fail to think ahead and plan for the future.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article was very helpful to those of us here seeking GOOD advice as well as encouragement. I know I DEFINITELY don't need any Negative Nancy's in my ear telling me Im just gonna gain it back eventually anyway. Kind of makes us all feel like why are we trying anyway if the end result is failure?? :'( Not the kind of news feed I'm looking for :/

the thing is, knowledge is power...the facts are the facts...most people do re-gain...but you're in complete control of that. knowing what happens to most people and understanding why can actually help you if you take control...but you have to realize that you are in control.

+1

Besides, I've done other things in my life that less than 2 of 10 people who tried did, so I see the number as a challenge, a reason to succeed.
  • cassietowle3
    cassietowle3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was very thin as a young child from malnutrition then gained weight once I was placed in a home where I always had food. Then I lost weight from anerexia and gained and over 100 pounds once I was was placed on multiple meds for depression/ anxiety where at least 4 of them had the side effect of weight gain. Last year I lost it all and then some. I've pretty much kept it off but recently have been getting off track due to stress and living changes. I had to redownload the app to lose the 8 pounds I've gained. I refuse to let myself become unhealthy. It took a lot to get to where I am and I will fight to keep it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think it happens when people do unsustainable things to lose weight and/or don't have a good understanding of how to behave on a permanent basis for maintenance.
    They say that people who lose on crash diets have the same success rate for maintaining as those who don't. How you lose the weight is no indication of success when it comes to keeping it off.

It's all very depressing when I think about it, lol.

So you are already thinking of become a statistic?

Everyone is part of the statistics, even hoes who keep it off. Those 2/10 who keep it off are in those stats.

If the stats are right, 8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back will, in fact, gain it back. It only makes sense to consider it.

n=1 will succeed. I don't really care who gives up because I know I won't. Statistics are facts about the past and you keep holding it to truth about the future.
    If by "hold it to truth about the future" you mean that I assume I will fail, you're very wrong. I'm really not sure if that's what you meant or not.

I think it's foolish to not take a good, hard look at those stats and consider the possibility of failure.

Refusing to acknowledge the possibility that it could happen when the odds are that it will happen...that's just not very smart, IMO. Most people say they won't be gaining it back and then they do. I don't want to be one of those people.

8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back are going to gain it back. I wish I knew how to be one of the two who won't.

But there is no way to know who will and who won't. If we knew that, this thread wouldn't have to exist, lol.

That is where your mindset and my mindset are different. I don't care how many people fail at maintenance. There is no need to think about the negative because I won't let that happen.
    That's what the 8/10 who gain it back said, too.
    You don't have a long term plan. I do for sure.
    You're wrong about me and my plans.
    Statistics says this so it must be true. How do you know this anyways? You psychic?
    if you assume all the stats are lies, then there is no reason to give them any thought, lol. I don't think they're lying.

Even in my own life, the only people I have known that lost a lot of weight gained it back. I have no reason to assume the people making up the stats are lying.

I wish you luck with your plans and hope it all works out the way you're sure it will.

Hear is the thing. You keep bring up stats. The stats can be 99 out of 100 fail. The stats don't matter to me at all because I am not them.

Also if we go by statistics I would have the most health relate issues in my family for having the most excess fat. I don't even understand how some of my cousins have high blood pressure. I never had high blood pressure. I have been at 120/80 for years and even at my high end of 257 I was still 120/80. Stats show black men are more prone to high blood pressure right? It is happening in my family but not to me. Weird right?

The BP thing isn't weird. You're still young. Having BP issues when you're young is the weird thing, black or not. Some people have problems when they did everything right, but cardiovascular issues are almost always after decades of eating a bunch of junk, most of it laden with sodium. Cardiovascular issues in people your age aren't really common at all.

It's in the mid to late 50s and 60s that all that stuff catches up with people - the smoking, drinking, poor diets, that kind of stuff. Hospital beds aren't full of people in their twenties, thirties and forties.

I really hope your plan works out for you. I hope the best for everyone. I hope everyone in this thread keeps their weight off.
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When i use to do diet clubs like weight watchers, slimming world or the latest fad diet i would always regain and get fat again as soon as i stopped following their diets.

When i got up to 18 stone i started Paul McKennas 'i can make you thin'. It worked, but its not the fastest at losing weight so i started using MFP to get it down quicker. (I got from 18 stone down to 15 stone in a year following Paul Mckennas weight loss system). I then used MFP to get from 15 stone down to low 12 stones in about 4 months, and then stopped, went back to Paul Mckennas system and have been able to stay in the 12s and same waist size for the last 2.5 years no problem.

Paul teaches you to recondition your relationship with food, become intune with your body's hunger signals again and to eat like naturally thin people do. So when you get close to your target if you are worried about being able to maintain the new slimmer i recommend you read his book, it may help you keep that weight from coming back.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it happens when people do unsustainable things to lose weight and/or don't have a good understanding of how to behave on a permanent basis for maintenance.
    They say that people who lose on crash diets have the same success rate for maintaining as those who don't. How you lose the weight is no indication of success when it comes to keeping it off.

Everyone is part of the statistics, even hoes who keep it off. Those 2/10 who keep it off are in those stats.

If the stats are right, 8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back will, in fact, gain it back. It only makes sense to consider it.

n=1 will succeed. I don't really care who gives up because I know I won't. Statistics are facts about the past and you keep holding it to truth about the future.
    If by "hold it to truth about the future" you mean that I assume I will fail, you're very wrong. I'm really not sure if that's what you meant or not.

I think it's foolish to not take a good, hard look at those stats and consider the possibility of failure.

Refusing to acknowledge the possibility that it could happen when the odds are that it will happen...that's just not very smart, IMO. Most people say they won't be gaining it back and then they do. I don't want to be one of those people.

8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back are going to gain it back. I wish I knew how to be one of the two who won't.

But there is no way to know who will and who won't. If we knew that, this thread wouldn't have to exist, lol.

That is where your mindset and my mindset are different. I don't care how many people fail at maintenance. There is no need to think about the negative because I won't let that happen.
    Statistics says this so it must be true. How do you know this anyways? You psychic?
    if you assume all the stats are lies, then there is no reason to give them any thought, lol. I don't think they're lying.

Even in my own life, the only people I have known that lost a lot of weight gained it back. I have no reason to assume the people making up the stats are lying.

I wish you luck with your plans and hope it all works out the way you're sure it will.

Hear is the thing. You keep bring up stats. The stats can be 99 out of 100 fail. The stats don't matter to me at all because I am not them.

Also if we go by statistics I would have the most health relate issues in my family for having the most excess fat. I don't even understand how some of my cousins have high blood pressure. I never had high blood pressure. I have been at 120/80 for years and even at my high end of 257 I was still 120/80. Stats show black men are more prone to high blood pressure right? It is happening in my family but not to me. Weird right?

The BP thing isn't weird. You're still young. Having BP issues when you're young is the weird thing, black or not. Some people have problems when they did everything right, but cardiovascular issues are almost always after decades of eating a bunch of junk, most of it laden with sodium. Cardiovascular issues in people your age aren't really common at all.

It's in the mid to late 50s and 60s that all that stuff catches up with people - the smoking, drinking, poor diets, that kind of stuff. Hospital beds aren't full of people in their twenties, thirties and forties.

I really hope your plan works out for you. I hope the best for everyone. I hope everyone in this thread keeps their weight off.

Let me clarify the cousins I am talking about with high blood pressure at 30, 28, 21. They're still young men. That is only the ones that have spoke up. I'm sure there are some other health issues going on in the family.

• Kalikel
    Options

Let me clarify the cousins I am talking about with high blood pressure at 30, 28, 21. That is only the ones that have spoke up. I'm sure there are some other health issues going on in the family. All pretty young. All men.

I get that. But that's the odd thing. Most people that age don't have those issues, black, white, whatever. It's odd to have those kind of problems at that age.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options

Let me clarify the cousins I am talking about with high blood pressure at 30, 28, 21. That is only the ones that have spoke up. I'm sure there are some other health issues going on in the family. All pretty young. All men.

I get that. But that's the odd thing. Most people that age don't have those issues, black, white, whatever. It's odd to have those kind of problems at that age.

I blame my genetics. I am getting gray hairs in my beard from age 26. No one else in the family has that. One thing I can take control of is weight.

The point is I don't care about statistics and no one should when it comes to weight management because that is something that the user can control.
  • Imogensmom
    Imogensmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    statistics don't represent any individual or the likelihood of individual success. And they don;t provide context. Another recent article suggested that without surgical intervention obese individuals have virtually no chance -- that is a fundamentally flawed statement because after surgery obese patients have to eat less or suffer the surgery isn;t on appetite and it doesn;t install motivation. Habits are deep and they have multiple emotional cultural social layers that make them hard to change we all know that. Stats like these contribute to the failure they name. They don't prove anything about people who lose and continue to maintain they only prove that the things that made you obese once continue to do so.
  • Kalikel
    Options

I blame my genetics. I am getting gray hairs in my beard from age 26. No one else in the family has that. One thing I can take control of is weight.

The point is I don't care about statistics and no one should when it comes to weight management because that is something that the user can control.

Not caring is great for you.

I'm in the "Knowledge is power" camp. I don't know how to use it, exactly, but I'll keep it in mind now that I know.

And as a great philopher once said, "Knowing is half the battle." ;)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Not caring is great for you.

I'm in the "Knowledge is power" camp. I don't know how to use it, exactly, but I'll keep it in mind now that I know.

And as a great philopher once said, "Knowing is half the battle." ;)

You lost a lot of weight. I am sure you know how to use your knowledge to stay within your goal ones you get there.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I think you would be surprised at the number of young people with issues like that...

My husband for one..HBP...at 23...he didn't have an uncle that survived past 30...except the alcoholic...dropped dead of heart attacks...all of them...he controls it without meds atm...but he is only 33...healthy, exercises...eats what I do..etc.

My family issues with high cholesterol which is totally genetic....only way to control it is living a healthy lifestyle or drugs.
  • nitaleotta
    nitaleotta Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did, and after maintaining for 5 years.

What makes me both cautious about claiming I won't this time, but also not too worried about stats like those in the article, is that I did because--for various life reasons and things I don't totally understand--I stopped caring. I know how to protect against weight gain, but I don't know how to insure that I will care enough to do those things. I would assume I should--it seems easy enough--but I know I didn't once, despite knowing most of what I know now. (I do think I have more insight into my own psychology and am less prone to want to blot out feelings and all that, which should help. I also think I have more insight into the external things that made it easier and harder, like being surrounded by people who could reinforce the positive behaviors.)

But I'm not too concerned about it, because I don't think the fact I regained was that horrible a thing. Sure, I wish I'd caught it sooner, but having lost it once made it easier to lose again, and I had confidence I could and would.

That's real. The bolded is what is usually missing from weight loss discussions. Sometimes people just don't see weight gain as a big deal or weight loss as a primary priority in their lives. There are other types of people who consider being fit and thin key parts of their self-image.. typically one group has a hard time understanding the other lol. Nine years ago I was at my highest weight at 172 and simply didn't care and didn't have many personal incentives to get my diet/fitness habits in gear. Later on my priorities changed but having been there I understand that some people don't feel the need to fret over extra weight gain.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ignore the media, Prove them wrong !
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It takes a new life

Not a new diet
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A very interesting article on food addiction in obese and formerly obese people. What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/if-youre-fat-and-lose-weight-youre.html

I think some people use food, alcohol, drugs or sex to put off dealing with emotions or mental health issues. Maybe they are in denial that their behavior is a problem until something like huge health problem or overdosing scares them enough to change. If they say I'm not going to do x any more but don't find a healthy way to deal with their original emotional/mental issue they will go back to the behavior because they don't know how to deal with problems any other way. They may feel that they hate themselves and punish themselves as well with those behaviors. They need to do some hard work probably with professional help to learn new coping tools and work on their self-esteem.
    I think a second category of people who regain weight that has nothing to do with emotional or mental issues. These people approach weight loss as a temporary thing. They go on a very restrictive or intense plan. They want fast weight loss. They may work very hard and deprive themselves. They may turn to the latest diet book or gimmicks like cleanses, waist trainers, shakes or pills instead of just counting calories. Something happens to throw off their routine and they gain weight. It is very hard for them to go back to what they were doing. They don't have a long term, sustainable plan. Their motivation may be mostly external. I think most people who regain weight are probably in this category.
    I feel that I have regained what I lost in the past because I was doing diets or exercise that were unsustainable for me. This time my weight loss plan has required very few changes to my life so I feel pretty capable of keeping it up long term. I'm not at my goal yet so it will be awhile before I test my ability to maintain in a healthy weight range long term.
  • cassietowle3
    cassietowle3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It takes a new life

Not a new diet

you are so right. even after the fact I still wont eat many of the foods I used to and continue to only drink water.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    One thing I wonder is how often are these people weighing themselves after they lose the weight? Since I got my own place and have a scale in the bathroom it's become a ritual. My weight gain the beginning of this year did not stop me from weighing myself, at worst i'd be like "damn, 220 again?" and huff and maybe eat a bit less in the following days.

I still don't understand how the weight "creeps back up" on someone. When I hit my goal the only way I will gain (which I'm not going to let happen) is if I see my weight go up every day and actively say "i am done giving a *kitten* and am gonna let myself get heavier" and watch the process. I have never seen the point in hiding from the scale when one is available.

Injuries, pregnancy, major life upheaval & stressors, mental illness, physical illness affecting endocronological system

Injuries and depression can go together btw

In sum, **** happens