I am aiming for 4lb a week loss! Is this realistic

Options

Replies

• tinicia
    tinicia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    xbted wrote: »
    If it were realistic, everyone else would be losing 4 pounds a week.

Everyone is different I lost 6lb last week and I always loose weight quickly. Last year I last 3 stone on 3 months with WW
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    tinicia wrote: »

Everyone is different I lost 6lb last week and I always loose weight quickly. Last year I last 3 stone on 3 months with WW

So why are you here then?
  • tinicia
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Because I want to loose more before my holiday
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    yes you can, but i wouldnt reccommend it. Aim for 3 pounds a week. You can eat plenty and lose 3 pounds a week with exercise
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Then why are you posting questions if you have everything all figured out? :huh:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

You wanted safe and peple are giving you safe. You will normally lose water weight and have decent losses in the first few weeks, but it will slow down. Dont be fooled into thinking that will continue. If youve already losy with WW then dont you already have the experience?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No and eating under 1200 is frowned upon by MFP

Read this - follow it - profit

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

This^

Will your 800 calories be medically supervised? Are you currently morbidly obese? Are you eating specially prepared food that helps you meet some goals (prescription shakes) - along with vitamin injections?

VERY low calorie diets should not be do-it-yourself plans. I'm not a nutritionist....there's no way I could adequately fuel basic bodily functions (heart, lungs, kidneys) on 800 calories a day.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is bogus, if it were so anorexic people would not get so fearfully thin and even die, people do lose weight at 800 calories BUT unless something really scary is going in with your mind there is no way you can keep it up for more than a short time and even then you are putting your health in jeopardy. Not to mention that you will be crazy with hunger and eat all the food in sight soon.

Please, please aim for a slower weight loss, eating at least 1200 calories a day and making sure you get the nutrients that your body needs. At the same time you can up your exercising (to a healthy level, don't go overboard on exercise either.)

I am old and when I first wanted to lose weight the diet program I joined put me on 900 calories a day (I did not even need to lose weigh, but I was young and stupid.) I lost the 10 pounds I wanted to lose but by that time I was so starved that within months I gained it all back plus some extra pounds for insurance.

An so on and on and on for forty-plus years, crash diet to lose certain number of pounds, gain them all back soon afterwards plus five or ten more until I ended up at 220 pounds of flab. I am lucky enough to not have any health issues, but still that is A LOT of weight.

So, OP, look at this as a cautionary tale: take it easy and lose the weight you need or want to lose while gaining new healthy eating and exercising habits. You don't want to work so hard at losing the weight just to gain it all back because the way you chose to do it is not sustainable or because you really had not changed your way of relating to food.

Best of luck.
  • tinicia
    Options

Then why are you posting questions if you have everything all figured out? :huh:

I never said I had it all figured out, there's no need to be so rude I was just asking a question
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

nanniek1 wrote: »
    Anything less than apx. 1200/day puts your body into starvation mode and to preserve itself it holds on to fat. Weird phenomenon, but, you'll lose faster on 1200 than 800 calories.

There is no such thing as starvation mode!!! It is a myth. Stop confusing new people with outright lies. There are a lot of reasons to keep the right amount of calories but fear of not losing because you eat too little is not even logical. Calories are a unit of measurement for energy. They are not magical creatures that live inside you. When you eat more calories than your body needs to run it stores them, when you eat less it burns the stored calories for energy. When you eat less it has to work to burn the stores of fat. Fat cannot just be called on for energy like unstored calories this makes you feel more tired and it will occur whether you are eating 100 fewer calories or 1000 fewer calories. This will balance over time and your energy will increase as your mass decreases.

OP I do not know how much you have to lose, but 4lbs a week is only doable if you are eating 14,000 calories less per week than you are burning. My maintenance calories are only 10,500 per week so I would have to exercise off an additional 3500 calories and not eat anything for an entire week to lose 4lbs. If you have a maintenance of 3000+ calories a day I would say you could do it if you do not cheat at all and accept that you will be miserable. Of course to have a maintenance of 3k on a 28yr old average height female you would need to weigh 400lbs and you do not look like you weigh 400lbs.

Nope you will not lose 4lbs a week consistently but you might be able to drop that much water weight on week one.
  • tinicia
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    Starvation mode is bogus, if it were so anorexic people would not get so fearfully thin and even die, people do lose weight at 800 calories BUT unless something really scary is going in with your mind there is no way you can keep it up for more than a short time and even then you are putting your health in jeopardy. Not to mention that you will be crazy with hunger and eat all the food in sight soon.

Please, please aim for a slower weight loss, eating at least 1200 calories a day and making sure you get the nutrients that your body needs. At the same time you can up your exercising (to a healthy level, don't go overboard on exercise either.)

I am old and when I first wanted to lose weight the diet program I joined put me on 900 calories a day (I did not even need to lose weigh, but I was young and stupid.) I lost the 10 pounds I wanted to lose but by that time I was so starved that within months I gained it all back plus some extra pounds for insurance.

An so on and on and on for forty-plus years, crash diet to lose certain number of pounds, gain them all back soon afterwards plus five or ten more until I ended up at 220 pounds of flab. I am lucky enough to not have any health issues, but still that is A LOT of weight.

So, OP, look at this as a cautionary tale: take it easy and lose the weight you need or want to lose while gaining new healthy eating and exercising habits. You don't want to work so hard at losing the weight just to gain it all back because the way you chose to do it is not sustainable or because you really had not changed your way of relating to food.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the advise x
  • tinicia
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the advise x

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Nope. I think it's a recipe for disaster. Crash dieting, like you have described, sets you up for binges and failure. Instead, aim for steady, sustainable weight loss. one half pound to 2 pounds per week, depending on how much you have to lose, is what you should aim for. The more you have to lose, the higher your goal can/should be, but you shouldn't aim for more than 2 pounds per week. It isn't healthy or sustainable.

Think about it this way: Can you eat the way you are eating (800 calories/day) for the rest of your life? If the answer is no, then you need to rethink your plan. to lose weight and, more importantly, keep it off, you have to be able to sustain your efforts forever. You don't stop just because you reached a goal.

Besides that, 800 calories per day is just downright unhealthy! You cannot get the nutrients needed to remain healthy. If you do this for long, you'll start to see your hair fall out, your nails become brittle, your skin will look bad, you'll see a loss of energy and many other things that you probably would rather not have.
  • tinicia
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Anything less than apx. 1200/day puts your body into starvation mode and to preserve itself it holds on to fat. Weird phenomenon, but, you'll lose faster on 1200 than 800 calories.

There is no such thing as starvation mode!!! It is a myth. Stop confusing new people with outright lies. There are a lot of reasons to keep the right amount of calories but fear of not losing because you eat too little is not even logical. Calories are a unit of measurement for energy. They are not magical creatures that live inside you. When you eat more calories than your body needs to run it stores them, when you eat less it burns the stored calories for energy. When you eat less it has to work to burn the stores of fat. Fat cannot just be called on for energy like unstored calories this makes you feel more tired and it will occur whether you are eating 100 fewer calories or 1000 fewer calories. This will balance over time and your energy will increase as your mass decreases.

OP I do not know how much you have to lose, but 4lbs a week is only doable if you are eating 14,000 calories less per week than you are burning. My maintenance calories are only 10,500 per week so I would have to exercise off an additional 3500 calories and not eat anything for an entire week to lose 4lbs. If you have a maintenance of 3000+ calories a day I would say you could do it if you do not cheat at all and accept that you will be miserable. Of course to have a maintenance of 3k on a 28yr old average height female you would need to weigh 400lbs and you do not look like you weigh 400lbs.

Nope you will not lose 4lbs a week consistently but you might be able to drop that much water weight on week one.

Thanksgiving the advise im 5"9 and weight 12st 9lb and I want to be 11st 7lb so I don't want to lose to much, I'm very tall and do not want to be skinny
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    yes you can, but i wouldnt reccommend it. Aim for 3 pounds a week. You can eat plenty and lose 3 pounds a week with exercise
    Is this your final answer? Without knowing the OP's stats?
    Good grief.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have 200+ lbs to lose, 4 lbs/week should be doable. Otherwise follow this:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

No, No, NO!!! Starvation mode as explained here is FALSE. I'm too lazy to do it for you, but if you are interested in seeing the reasons and science as to why this is a false statement, search "starvation mode" here on the forums, you'll get a ton of threads that explain it.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I want to lose it safely. I've never been a big eater but what I did eat was junk so I piled on the pounds. Last week I lost 6lb and thought that was to much for one week.. May I ask what you guys have been losing on a weekly basis? X

When I am on a cut I usually aim for 0.5 lbs/week
  • erickirb
    Options

How can you eat a lot with a deficit of 1500day, unless your maintenance is 3000+
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Is this your final answer? Without knowing the OP's stats?
    Good grief.

My thought too

OP - 11 Kg is just under 25 pounds...........see Eric's chart above. You should be looking at 1 pound per week MAX.
This discussion has been closed.