"If you're fat and lose weight, you're probably gonna get fat again"

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am the only woman in my family that isn't overweight or obese. I lost about 50 pound in 2004 that I never regained. I've become more fitness oriented since joining here in 2011 and am currently trying to get a more athletic looking body.

For me, it was a total shift in lifestyle, educating myself, and realizing that I shouldn't try anything I couldn't maintain until the day I die (which is hopefully 60 or so years off) and that messing up a day or two or a week was to be expected -- that it wasn't the end of the world, I just had to get back on track asap.

I think a lot of people fail because they think that once you lose the weight, the process ends. But it never ends. Not if you want to maintain your progress.
  • jg821864
    jg821864 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Going on a "diet" is the wrong mentality and will lead to failure. If you are serious about losing weight and keeping it off, you have to make lifestyle changes that are permanent. There is no "diet", you are changing your behaviors. If you do that, you will lose and keep weight off. It all begins in your head and how you approach your life/fitness goals. Just get the "I'm on a diet" out of your head. This implies there is "an end" to the diet. A healthy lifestyle never ends.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I regained a small amount (18 lbs) of the total I lost from my highest weight (74 lbs, in two chunks, 24 and 50 lbs) due to injuries (+ feeling pretty lousy about them) + not changing my intake. The gain capped out at 18 lbs until I started tracking again. (I guess the activity I did prior to injury accounted for those 18 pounds.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think it happens when people do unsustainable things to lose weight and/or don't have a good understanding of how to behave on a permanent basis for maintenance.
    They say that people who lose on crash diets have the same success rate for maintaining as those who don't. How you lose the weight is no indication of success when it comes to keeping it off.

It's all very depressing when I think about it, lol.

So you are already thinking of become a statistic?

Everyone is part of the statistics, even hoes who keep it off. Those 2/10 who keep it off are in those stats.

If the stats are right, 8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back will, in fact, gain it back. It only makes sense to consider it.

n=1 will succeed. I don't really care who gives up because I know I won't. Statistics are facts about the past and you keep holding it to truth about the future.
    If by "hold it to truth about the future" you mean that I assume I will fail, you're very wrong. I'm really not sure if that's what you meant or not.

I think it's foolish to not take a good, hard look at those stats and consider the possibility of failure.

Refusing to acknowledge the possibility that it could happen when the odds are that it will happen...that's just not very smart, IMO. Most people say they won't be gaining it back and then they do. I don't want to be one of those people.

8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back are going to gain it back. I wish I knew how to be one of the two who won't.

But there is no way to know who will and who won't. If we knew that, this thread wouldn't have to exist, lol.

That is where your mindset and my mindset are different. I don't care how many people fail at maintenance. There is no need to think about the negative because I won't let that happen.
    That's what the 8/10 who gain it back said, too.
    You don't have a long term plan. I do for sure.
    You're wrong about me and my plans.
    Statistics says this so it must be true. How do you know this anyways? You psychic?
    if you assume all the stats are lies, then there is no reason to give them any thought, lol. I don't think they're lying.

Even in my own life, the only people I have known that lost a lot of weight gained it back. I have no reason to assume the people making up the stats are lying.

I wish you luck with your plans and hope it all works out the way you're sure it will.

Hear is the thing. You keep bring up stats. The stats can be 99 out of 100 fail. The stats don't matter to me at all because I am not them.

Also if we go by statistics I would have the most health relate issues in my family for having the most excess fat. I don't even understand how some of my cousins have high blood pressure. I never had high blood pressure. I have been at 120/80 for years and even at my high end of 257 I was still 120/80. Stats show black men are more prone to high blood pressure right? It is happening in my family but not to me. Weird right?

The BP thing isn't weird. You're still young. Having BP issues when you're young is the weird thing, black or not. Some people have problems when they did everything right, but cardiovascular issues are almost always after decades of eating a bunch of junk, most of it laden with sodium. Cardiovascular issues in people your age aren't really common at all.

It's in the mid to late 50s and 60s that all that stuff catches up with people - the smoking, drinking, poor diets, that kind of stuff. Hospital beds aren't full of people in their twenties, thirties and forties.

I really hope your plan works out for you. I hope the best for everyone. I hope everyone in this thread keeps their weight off.

Let me clarify the cousins I am talking about with high blood pressure at 30, 28, 21. That is only the ones that have spoke up. I'm sure there are some other health issues going on in the family. All pretty young. All men.

I get that. But that's the odd thing. Most people that age don't have those issues, black, white, whatever. It's odd to have those kind of problems at that age.

I blame my genetics. I am getting gray hairs in my beard from age 26. No one else in the family has that. One thing I can take control of is weight.

The point is I don't care about statistics and no one should when it comes to weight management because that is something that the user can control.

Not caring is great for you.

I'm in the "Knowledge is power" camp. I don't know how to use it, exactly, but I'll keep it in mind now that I know.

And as a great philopher once said, "Knowing is half the battle." ;)

Knowing what tho? seriously. That there is a chance to fail? That is called life not weight loss...doesn't matter what we do we all know stuff happens...but what most don't get is that we...yes we control our weight...outside influences don't (unless famine etc)

I watch the boards all the time...titles like "back again", "this time it's for real", "3rd time the charm" and I always wonder..how are they at it again if they've been here on MFP before.

I admit I yo yo'd doing fad diets because I just didn't understand the mechanics of weight maintenance.

Anyone can lose weight...it takes knowledge, drive and motivation to keep our weight at a reasonable level.

Will I be 210 again...never. The WLR gave the top 10 habits of those who have maintained over a 30lb loss for more than 2 years I think...those are things I do and have done for 2 years...

Will I be 155 again...yup after I get back from Vacation.

If you are arguing that people will regain...yes you are right...are you arguing that specific people on this thread will because they are denying the stats...you are wrong...dead wrong.

I will not be fat again ever. So if you need to put yo and myself in those 2 spots of the first 10 you count.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I think it happens when people do unsustainable things to lose weight and/or don't have a good understanding of how to behave on a permanent basis for maintenance.
    They say that people who lose on crash diets have the same success rate for maintaining as those who don't. How you lose the weight is no indication of success when it comes to keeping it off.

Everyone is part of the statistics, even hoes who keep it off. Those 2/10 who keep it off are in those stats.

If the stats are right, 8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back will, in fact, gain it back. It only makes sense to consider it.

n=1 will succeed. I don't really care who gives up because I know I won't. Statistics are facts about the past and you keep holding it to truth about the future.
    If by "hold it to truth about the future" you mean that I assume I will fail, you're very wrong. I'm really not sure if that's what you meant or not.

I think it's foolish to not take a good, hard look at those stats and consider the possibility of failure.

Refusing to acknowledge the possibility that it could happen when the odds are that it will happen...that's just not very smart, IMO. Most people say they won't be gaining it back and then they do. I don't want to be one of those people.

8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back are going to gain it back. I wish I knew how to be one of the two who won't.

But there is no way to know who will and who won't. If we knew that, this thread wouldn't have to exist, lol.

That is where your mindset and my mindset are different. I don't care how many people fail at maintenance. There is no need to think about the negative because I won't let that happen.
    Statistics says this so it must be true. How do you know this anyways? You psychic?
    if you assume all the stats are lies, then there is no reason to give them any thought, lol. I don't think they're lying.

Even in my own life, the only people I have known that lost a lot of weight gained it back. I have no reason to assume the people making up the stats are lying.

I wish you luck with your plans and hope it all works out the way you're sure it will.

Hear is the thing. You keep bring up stats. The stats can be 99 out of 100 fail. The stats don't matter to me at all because I am not them.

Also if we go by statistics I would have the most health relate issues in my family for having the most excess fat. I don't even understand how some of my cousins have high blood pressure. I never had high blood pressure. I have been at 120/80 for years and even at my high end of 257 I was still 120/80. Stats show black men are more prone to high blood pressure right? It is happening in my family but not to me. Weird right?

The BP thing isn't weird. You're still young. Having BP issues when you're young is the weird thing, black or not. Some people have problems when they did everything right, but cardiovascular issues are almost always after decades of eating a bunch of junk, most of it laden with sodium. Cardiovascular issues in people your age aren't really common at all.

It's in the mid to late 50s and 60s that all that stuff catches up with people - the smoking, drinking, poor diets, that kind of stuff. Hospital beds aren't full of people in their twenties, thirties and forties.

I really hope your plan works out for you. I hope the best for everyone. I hope everyone in this thread keeps their weight off.

Let me clarify the cousins I am talking about with high blood pressure at 30, 28, 21. That is only the ones that have spoke up. I'm sure there are some other health issues going on in the family. All pretty young. All men.

I get that. But that's the odd thing. Most people that age don't have those issues, black, white, whatever. It's odd to have those kind of problems at that age.

I think you would be surprised at the number of young people with issues like that...

My husband for one..HBP...at 23...he didn't have an uncle that survived past 30...except the alcoholic...dropped dead of heart attacks...all of them...he controls it without meds atm...but he is only 33...healthy, exercises...eats what I do..etc.

My family issues with high cholesterol which is totally genetic....only way to control it is living a healthy lifestyle or drugs.
    I'm not surprised to hear that some people have problems when they're young. I never said it can't happen. But young people with cardiovascular issues - or any serious health issues - are the minority.

Even if every poster on this board pops in to say they've had high BP since they were six years old, it'll still be a rare thing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I think you would be surprised at the number of young people with issues like that...

My husband for one..HBP...at 23...he didn't have an uncle that survived past 30...except the alcoholic...dropped dead of heart attacks...all of them...he controls it without meds atm...but he is only 33...healthy, exercises...eats what I do..etc.

My family issues with high cholesterol which is totally genetic....only way to control it is living a healthy lifestyle or drugs.
    I'm not surprised to hear that some people have problems when they're young. I never said it can't happen. But young people with cardiovascular issues - or any serious health issues - are the minority.

Even if every poster on this board pops in to say they've had high BP since they were six years old, it'll still be a rare thing.

So with someone who has medical history like that in their family then why would they not have health be a priority. I agree with once I hit my goal I will never be fat again. I will be overweight by BMI trash standards.
  • Kalikel
    Options

So with someone who has medical history like that in their family then why would they not have health be a priority. I agree with once I hit my goal I will never be fat again. I will be overweight by BMI trash standards.
    Are you asking why people don't make their health a priority? There are as many reasons as there are people. They don't believe the doctors. They are in denial. They don't want to bother eating right because the food sucks. They don't really care. They think it bad stuff won't happen to them, only to other people. Etc, etc. The list goes on forever.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

If people have a family history of illness, I'd suggest telling their doctor at the next physical and following his instructions. But I know you, personally, don't think people need to see doctors unless they're sick, so for you, personally, I wouldn't suggest anything.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Im proud to be a special snowflake. I also don't have a food addiction. And I was skinny for a longer period of my life than I was overweight/obese. Never going back there.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Are you asking why people don't make their health a priority? There are as many reasons as there are people. They don't believe the doctors. They are in denial. They don't want to bother eating right because the food sucks. They don't really care. They think it bad stuff won't happen to them, only to other people. Etc, etc. The list goes on forever.

If people have a family history of illness, I'd suggest telling their doctor at the next physical and following his instructions. But I know you, personally, don't think people need to see doctors unless they're sick, so for you, personally, I wouldn't suggest anything.

To be fair I was not the only one who called you out every time you recommend seeing a DR. You could suggest I go see my Dr. You know what he did say.

" Did you know 2 years ago you were 257 now you are 193. Keeping doing what you are doing." That is what he said during one of my appointments this year.

I told him I got to 265 before losing weight.
  • Kalikel
    Options

To be fair I was not the only one who called you out every time you recommend seeing a DR. You could suggest I go see my Dr. You know what he did say.

" Did you know 2 years ago you were 257 now you are 193. Keeping doing what you are doing." That is what he said during one of my appointments this year.

You are one who insisted that people shouldn't go to the doctor unless they're sick. Personally, I don't care if you do or don't. It affects me in no way. I'm just saying that I wouldn't encourage you to go because I know you frown upon that.

If you never went again, I wouldn't care. It's not like I want you to go, lol. I have no vested interest in your health. Go, don't go...it's all the same to me.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

You are one who insisted that people shouldn't go to the doctor unless they're sick. Personally, I don't care if you do or don't. It affects me in no way. I'm just saying that I wouldn't encourage you to go because I know you frown upon that.

If you never went again, I wouldn't care. It's not like I want you to go, lol. I have no vested interest in your health. Go, don't go...it's all the same to me.

Now translate that thinking to these statistics. Then you won't care how many others fail.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Kalikel. Everyone should be mindful of the high probability that they will regain. Everyone who says "well that only applies to OTHER people and not to me" needs to remember one thing: you weren't born obese, you became that way through your choices. In other words, you've already failed once. If you couldn't avoid it last time, why are you confident that you can avoid it this time?

I'm not saying don't try. If anything, I'm saying "try harder." I know that's my plan, because really, what other options do we have?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I agree with @Kalikel. Everyone should be mindful of the high probability that they will regain. Everyone who says "well that only applies to OTHER people and not to me" needs to remember one thing: you weren't born obese, you became that way through your choices. In other words, you've already failed once. If you couldn't avoid it last time, why are you confident that you can avoid it this time?

I'm not saying don't try. If anything, I'm saying "try harder." I know that's my plan, because really, what other options do we have?

Not always the case esp now in North America.

Childhood obesity is reach epidemic proportions...why ....it's not the kids it's the parents...the kids don't have a choice really.

Chances are they will be obese adults until they choose to fix it...but without education that won't happen...so who's fault is that?

And I don't think anyone is saying that no one will regain..we all know those who did and do still..but we as adults have a say in the matter now...

And just because I was fat once and failed at being healthy once doesn't mean I will do it again...we as humans have the ability to learn from our mistakes...

And I don't think anyone here saying it won't be me isn't mindful of the fact lots do...it just won't be us.

As the stats say 2/10 don't regain it...

fail to plan...plan to fail

• Kalikel
    Options

Now translate that thinking to these statistics. Then you won't care how many others fail.

But I do have a vested interest in MY health. So, I work and think and plan for me. Part of that is learning from the experience of others. You can ignore it and that's great for you.

Not me.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well for me I actually weigh less now than as I did as a teenager with way more muscle mass. I failed the first time from not having knowledge or knowing myself. I am an emotional eater well was. Ate my feelings for years and years. Then the addition of alcohol came with using that and food to consume my feelings away. For someone who has been overweight for longer than half of his life. I know what was done wrong and have shown a lot that I am correctly that.

So when someone knows and finds out a lot about themselves it is very easy to stay away from that path of destruction.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    There isn't a high probability that I'll regain. It's a faulty premise.

I didn't avoid obesity because I wasn't actively trying to do so. I am now. That's the difference.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Not always the case esp now in North America.

Childhood obesity is reach epidemic proportions...why ....it's not the kids it's the parents...the kids don't have a choice really.

Chances are they will be obese adults until they choose to fix it...but without education that won't happen...so who's fault is that?

And I don't think anyone is saying that no one will regain..we all know those who did and do still..but we as adults have a say in the matter now...

And just because I was fat once and failed at being healthy once doesn't mean I will do it again...we as humans have the ability to learn from our mistakes...

And I don't think anyone here saying it won't be me isn't mindful of the fact lots do...it just won't be us.

As the stats say 2/10 don't regain it...

fail to plan...plan to fail

And tell me, do children remain obese as adults because somebody continues to force feed them, or is that perhaps a result of their lifestyle choices?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

But I do have a vested interest in MY health. So, I work and think and plan for me. Part of that is learning from the experience of others. You can ignore it and that's great for you.

Not me.

I ignore it because I did not become what I was from others experience. It was my journey of increase weight for over a decade and finally saying enough is enough. Too late in my opinion but oh well. I know why I became what I was so I know how to prevent that from ever happening again.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think one of the main problems with bad food habits is you can't just quit food (like you can cigarettes or other substances).

I believe this statistic as I know how many times I've lost weight quickly then gone "back to normal" with my eating and regained it all.

That all said, I believe in myself and I will buck the trend this time. I'm taking it slowly, changing my habits slowly and in a manner I can stick to and I'm tracking even when I have a "bad day".
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think for people who follow ' diets' it could definitely be true. especially if you are cutting out whole food groups of foods that you (or the diet) classify as 'bad' (ie: sugar, carbs, whatever).

but for those of us who have made lifestyle changes... and eat everything we enjoy WITHIN those calorie (whether loss or maintenance) unless you just get lazy and stop monitoring your intake, i find it hard to believe. thats why its so important for me the same foods i always have - just in smaller quantities. could i eat MORE? oh yes - i can gorge myself till i feel like im going to pop ... i just dont do it anymore.