Why am I not losing any weight or body fat?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, you have received some great advice so far. I want to reiterate: you are eating much more than you are logging. None of us are born knowing how to track calories. There's no shame in taking help and getting better at it.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lot of this advice here may be hard to take in partly because you were told not to focus on counting calories by someone and now everyone is telling you count, count, count! You have to decide which advice you are going to take. Not counting may work for some people, but the people here are giving you the advice that has worked for them. Check out their profiles. You'll see that many of them have been very successful doing exactly what they are telling you. (I tend ignore advice I see from people who have never had to lose much weight and those who haven't actually lost any yet).

If you're willing to take the risk at this point, opening your diary will allow people to give you better advice. Right now we're having to make a lot of guesses and assumptions about what you are doing. Also, it looks like your entries are from recipes, but this makes it hard to see how you've measured your individual ingredients. We can't tell just from pictures whether your portions match your recipes. I personally like using the "remember meal" feature instead because it allows me to adjust recipes each time I make them.
  • 218Beth
    218Beth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why is the dairy from April and not something more current?
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    218Beth wrote: »
    Why is the dairy from April and not something more current?

That dairy has probably spoiled. I'd throw it out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    PLEASE stop copying and pasting the whole diary and photo page.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So first things first - if my meals looked like yours do, I would probably eat all the time lol. My meals never plate that well.

Second, in #4 you start with I often cook on my own and finish with I do eat out for dinners. Those things kind of contradict each other. Realistically, if you often cook on your own you do not eat out every day. I don't care if you justify it or not, and how much you eat or when you eat it or where you eat is really not up to me. But the simple fact is that you do not "often" cook on your own if you're eating out dinner every day (or most days) I eat out like twice a month . . . I'd say that's often cooking for myself.

Third, your first post states you avoid carbs but eat sushi; and if you know the content/carb count of rice you'd know that you are not avoiding carbs. You just aren't. Further, a lot of the foods you eat do contain carbs just not starchy carbs (for the most part) or they aren't up in you face in nutritional value. Carbs are a macro nutrient and are found in a large majority of foods. You cannot avoid them.

It's not being mean at all - most people on here won't sugar coat things. If you are complaining you aren't losing, and they give you valid advice but you find 100 different reasons you're that special snowflake and continue on the way you were then of course nothing will change because you didn't change anything.

You are pretty much, simply eating too much and what you think you're eating is not what you actually are eating (IE the biggest one being you avoid carbs when your diet shows you don't). I think you need to do some reading/research/education on nutrition and go from there. Or if you want to pay someone to do it for you, find someone who knows their stuff - not just someone who LOOKS like they know their stuff.

Re: sushi, she's eating just the raw fish I believe she said.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I think i have reached a road block.

I haven't lost a single kg, i haven't lost a single % of body fat, nor has my BMI reduced.
    I work hard, I work really hard. I have a personal trainer who advices me on my nutrition, but nothing. nada. zero. To the point I feel that my partner is so embarrassed of being out with me.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE:
    i push myself really hard sometimes i just want to break down and cry in the gym. i feel good after each work out, but i struggle i feel the pain. but no pain, no gain.

Mondays:
    - Run intervals for 30-45 minutes: alternating between high speed and slow.
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 20 cycling cross crunches x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 reps x3 times
    - (this week: trying to restart Kayla Itsines)

Tuesdays:
    - Run 5km (some days treadmill some days out)
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - GYM: alternate week KICKBOXIGN
    - GYM: Every week HiiT class called Power me On (in my gym) --> high intensity circuit training for 1 hour

Wednesdays:
    - Run intervals for 30-45 minutes
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 x3times

Thursdays:
    - Personal training for 1 hour --> circuit, high intensity, interval fat burning training
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - GYM: KICKBOXING 1 hour + Interval training class called Ultimate Interval (in my gym) 1 hour

Fridays:
    - Run 5km
    - 30 ab crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 x3 times

Saturdays:
    - 1 hour pilates basic (a new thing i'm trying)
    and/OR
    - alternate weeks: long distance cycling with my partner

Sundays:
    - Rest day

ON TOP OF THAT, i am a regular 10km race runner - just completed 3 10km races in the month of July.

NUTRITION
    Breakfast:
    - I avoid carbs except breakfast - have either oats or wholemeal bread
    - 1 hard boil egg
    - 1 kiwi
    - 1 banana
    - 1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon
    - -> I generally have to take a bit more in the breakfast like these because i have problem with low blood sugar levels and low blood pressure. i get dizzy very very easily - to the point i can faint

Lunch:
    - some days i'll have salad - hoping to make it 3 times a week
    - i avoid carbs - just have lightly stirfried vegetables with minimal oil and pinch of salt (i'm not big on salt)
    - either Chicken breast OR i'll usually have fish - i'm a fish lover

Snack:
    - apple
    - i am troubled by snacks because i have severe gastric problems and i'm advised to eat as often as i can and sometimes apples just make me feel so awful in the stomach
    - so sometimes i'll have a bowl of soup and a small bread bun wholemeal

Dinner:
    - i'll usually dine out with my partner - but i'll avoid carbs
    - e.g. last night i had grilled fish with salad and mash potatoes (sometimes i reward myself a little when i have worked hard for the day)
    - or Chinese dishes
    - Sushi - my biggest weakness is sushi - raw fish

Weekends vary, and i know there must be cheat days - and i do allow myself to let go VERY little - because i'm way too worried about the calories and oil and salt.

I'm Asian, so having communal dishes, or having rice is a big part of my culture though i have learnt to control my portions.

I take at least 3 litres of water every single day - no sugared drinks unless freshly squeezed juice like watermelon occasionally once a week, or apple-beetroot-carrot which is my favourite juice.

I'm losing hair, i'm breaking out in acne, my body doesn't seem to be cooperating.

i love food. i must declare that. I cook a lot, i experiment a lot with food, with cooking, heck, my favourite show is the Masterchef. But it has come to a point whereby i'm too afraid to even eat. i miss my hawker food, but i try to banish those thoughts out of my head. i don't take any sugared things anymore for a long time - at most a little at each time which i will allow myself.

So, what gives? I'm gaining more weight - my body analysis just doesn't seem to improve just constantly gets worse - i have about 40% body fat which is so alarming to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm gaining weight, fats, i can't fit into my dresses, i'm fighting with my partner every single day about this - he wants me to be healthy and not overweight, and i need to try harder but i am trying so hard so hard.

i'm never skinny, to be honest. BUT i am NEVER overweight my whole life. Until i started dating about 8 years ago. i agreed, back then, i let myself go a little - but i was never big BIG if you get what i mean. i've been trying to go back on track and lose now, but i'm failing miserably. I'm so sick and tired of doctors making assumptions that i am sitting away in a room snacking on donuts and sugared drinks or eating lots of carbs. I'M NOT.

help.

The answer is easy.
    Stop dating.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that her personal trainer is only having her do running and abs and hasn't taught her anything about calorie counting. She should fire her trainer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do not quite know how to react to every comment, as I confess many of them were plain mean and hit me really hard as I had thought this to be a community of helpers and encouragers. thank you for all the helpful remarks. perspectives, I believe.

let me clarify this by showing you a screenshot of my diary and photo example of my food.

... thank you for the encouragement. :)

My goodness! That food looks tasty!

But it's way more calories than 1300. Probably closer to about 2500. That kimchi stew is probably about 800 alone.

1mjapcte4y3v.jpg
  • AlisonStephens1
    AlisonStephens1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You don't sound like you're getting nearly enough protein in your diet. It's very hard to get enough with a regular diet but really important. Why not try refueling with a protein shake after exercise and in the morning? I would focus on recording exact food eaten (ditch the fruit juice for sugar free squash too) rather than so much exercise. Good luck, stay strong, you can do this x
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You don't sound like you're getting nearly enough protein in your diet. It's very hard to get enough with a regular diet but really important. Why not try refueling with a protein shake after exercise and in the morning? I would focus on recording exact food eaten (ditch the fruit juice for sugar free squash too) rather than so much exercise. Good luck, stay strong, you can do this x

Wait, OP isn't losing weight meaning she is eating more than she's burning so she should add a protein shake to her diet? And actually what with the egg, salmon, couscous, and chicken she is getting quite a bit of protein.

OP, I have 2 comments. 1. you seem to have oil in a lot of foods you eat. If you're going to continue with your same diet consider eliminating all the drizzles of olive oil and the dressings in your salad. Maybe use a zero calorie cooking spray when cooking your food and use lemon juice as your salad dressing. There's 119 calories in just one tablespoon of olive oil so that would eliminate several hundred calories from your day right there.
    2. If you're not willing to get a food scale and really commit to weighing your food maybe just eat smaller portions. Your portions do look quite large and I imagine shrinking them a bit would still satiate you as they do seem like well-balanced meals that would keep you full for a while. That should work at least for a while and once it stops it'll be time to get a food scale and use more accurate entries.
  • MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think you got a lot of advises from people with good intention. If you think some were mean I believe it is because of the way you react to those advises. Honestly, I sense some kind of denial on your side. But who I am to judge ;-)
    Although I would agree with many food related suggestions, my advise would be on the workout level...quit the gym!!! Unless you plan to run for a fitness contest, what you want is to drop weight. The hour or so you spend in the gym would allow you to burn what..250 to 400 calories? One hour running would burn about 1000? One and half hour bike would get around 1000 as well?

Funny thing is how many time you would see someone take a "booster snack" before gym like bananas, energy bar, chocolate...and stuck up those 200-300 calories they will spend the next hour to burn...

I have plenty of time that allow me to gym in the morning, run in the afternoon and walk at evening, but I think if you have to make a choice, go for the high burning activities.
    Don't give up!!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Wait, OP isn't losing weight meaning she is eating more than she's burning so she should add a protein shake to her diet?

Yeah, ADDING two protein shakes isn't likely to do much to generate weight loss.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's the calorie deficit that causes fat loss.

Sometimes we let our emotions get in the way.

Workout is for health and building and maintaining lean body mass.

Diet is for health. A little less food is for fat loss.

Don't deprive yourself, you need all the food groups.

Most of us find the most success with fat loss and the temporary calorie deficit if we focus on protein and veggies, and then just enough carbs and fat for energy. Eat up to maintenance at least one day a week to keep hormones stable.

Don't make it complicated. Most of the digression is emotional. The fad diets don't work because they are not sustainable. You deprive, you binge, over and over, so you either stay the same or gain, or lose and gain, and it's a constant yo-yo.

The whole point of MFP is to stop the yo-yo dieting. The numbers and calculations are a perfect place to start if you actually follow them.

You can do it too! Tune out the emotions and focus on the calories and the default macros are perfectly healthy place to start.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    okay OP since you don't want to listen to any of the dozens of people who have successfully lost weight, and consistently LOSE weight.... you keep being a special snowflake and doing what youre doing and not losing weight or even gaining.

come back and read this whole thread when you are actually ready to do what you need to do to LOSE weight, and listen to those of us who know what we are talking about.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    OP, you have received some great advice so far. I want to reiterate: you are eating much more than you are logging. None of us are born knowing how to track calories. There's no shame in taking help and getting better at it.

OP this is about as kind as it gets. Take it and run with it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I have benefited so much from the sometimes blunt and always straightforward advice here. There's nothing "kind" about telling someone who is failing to meet their goals what they want to hear if it isn't the truth.

OP is eating more than she is logging. If we realize that and don't point it out, what is the point? She may not like it today. I didn't like it when I realized that I was terrible at eyeballing portions and I should begin weighing. But I sure liked losing weight and hitting my goal.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think i have reached a road block.

I haven't lost a single kg, i haven't lost a single % of body fat, nor has my BMI reduced.
    I work hard, I work really hard. I have a personal trainer who advices me on my nutrition, but nothing. nada. zero. To the point I feel that my partner is so embarrassed of being out with me.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE:
    i push myself really hard sometimes i just want to break down and cry in the gym. i feel good after each work out, but i struggle i feel the pain. but no pain, no gain.

Mondays:
    - Run intervals for 30-45 minutes: alternating between high speed and slow.
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 reps x3 times
    - (this week: trying to restart Kayla Itsines)

Tuesdays:
    - Run 5km (some days treadmill some days out)
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - GYM: alternate week KICKBOXIGN
    - GYM: Every week HiiT class called Power me On (in my gym) --> high intensity circuit training for 1 hour

Wednesdays:
    - Run intervals for 30-45 minutes
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 x3times

Thursdays:
    - Personal training for 1 hour --> circuit, high intensity, interval fat burning training
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - GYM: KICKBOXING 1 hour + Interval training class called Ultimate Interval (in my gym) 1 hour

Fridays:
    - Run 5km
    - 30 ab crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 x3 times

Saturdays:
    - 1 hour pilates basic (a new thing i'm trying)
    and/OR
    - alternate weeks: long distance cycling with my partner

Sundays:
    - Rest day

ON TOP OF THAT, i am a regular 10km race runner - just completed 3 10km races in the month of July.

NUTRITION
    Breakfast:
    - I avoid carbs except breakfast - have either oats or wholemeal bread
    - 1 hard boil egg
    - 1 kiwi
    - 1 banana
    - 1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon
    - -> I generally have to take a bit more in the breakfast like these because i have problem with low blood sugar levels and low blood pressure. i get dizzy very very easily - to the point i can faint

Lunch:
    - some days i'll have salad - hoping to make it 3 times a week
    - i avoid carbs - just have lightly stirfried vegetables with minimal oil and pinch of salt (i'm not big on salt)
    - either Chicken breast OR i'll usually have fish - i'm a fish lover

Snack:
    - apple
    - i am troubled by snacks because i have severe gastric problems and i'm advised to eat as often as i can and sometimes apples just make me feel so awful in the stomach
    - so sometimes i'll have a bowl of soup and a small bread bun wholemeal

Dinner:
    - i'll usually dine out with my partner - but i'll avoid carbs
    - e.g. last night i had grilled fish with salad and mash potatoes (sometimes i reward myself a little when i have worked hard for the day)
    - or Chinese dishes
    - Sushi - my biggest weakness is sushi - raw fish

Weekends vary, and i know there must be cheat days - and i do allow myself to let go VERY little - because i'm way too worried about the calories and oil and salt.

I'm Asian, so having communal dishes, or having rice is a big part of my culture though i have learnt to control my portions.

I take at least 3 litres of water every single day - no sugared drinks unless freshly squeezed juice like watermelon occasionally once a week, or apple-beetroot-carrot which is my favourite juice.

I'm losing hair, i'm breaking out in acne, my body doesn't seem to be cooperating.

i love food. i must declare that. I cook a lot, i experiment a lot with food, with cooking, heck, my favourite show is the Masterchef. But it has come to a point whereby i'm too afraid to even eat. i miss my hawker food, but i try to banish those thoughts out of my head. i don't take any sugared things anymore for a long time - at most a little at each time which i will allow myself.

So, what gives? I'm gaining more weight - my body analysis just doesn't seem to improve just constantly gets worse - i have about 40% body fat which is so alarming to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm gaining weight, fats, i can't fit into my dresses, i'm fighting with my partner every single day about this - he wants me to be healthy and not overweight, and i need to try harder but i am trying so hard so hard.

i'm never skinny, to be honest. BUT i am NEVER overweight my whole life. Until i started dating about 8 years ago. i agreed, back then, i let myself go a little - but i was never big BIG if you get what i mean. i've been trying to go back on track and lose now, but i'm failing miserably. I'm so sick and tired of doctors making assumptions that i am sitting away in a room snacking on donuts and sugared drinks or eating lots of carbs. I'M NOT.

help.
    not losing your eating at maintenance gaining weight your eating over maintenance deficit you lose weight

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

I have benefited so much from the sometimes blunt and always straightforward advice here. There's nothing "kind" about telling someone who is failing to meet their goals what they want to hear if it isn't the truth.

OP is eating more than she is logging. If we realize that and don't point it out, what is the point? She may not like it today. I didn't like it when I realized that I was terrible at eyeballing portions and I should begin weighing. But I sure liked losing weight and hitting my goal.

That's what I was getting at.