WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Just finished my c2c afghan and I love it! smiley-happy026.gifGoing to try and crochet a border around the edge. It has heft to it and my husband says it looks and feels wonderful. I definitely will be making this pattern again and again...using the UTube video I referenced before was the key to figuring out how to make this rectangular and not square.
    jvimgcta7yhf.jpg
    6bam9pz56l7s.jpg
  • tonithewriter
    tonithewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We tried the Buffalo Cauliflower this evening for dinner and both liked it a lot! Very few calories, so this one is a keeper. Used light Ranch dressing as a dipper.

Toni in MN
    I lived in the Chicago area all of my life and have only been in MN for 3 weeks. I keep forgetting I'm a MN girl!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    The afghan is beautiful. :)
    Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,728 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: almost had to ride hm due to train issues
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.31min, 15.4amph, 2.9mi = 100c
    spin- 35min, 86ar, 98aw, 10-14ag, 14.8mi = 314c
    ride gym 2 wk- 54.41min, 12.4amph, 11.3mi = 509c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.34min, 9.4amph, 2.5mi = 172c
    total cal 1095
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Heather, I’m so glad you had such a wonderful meal. And what a great idea to donate to the charity since the meal was free.

Penny, great NSV running in such a faster time!! Way to go. Good luck with the monster cat. Lol

Barbie, yes I cut my own hair. I wear it short and it used to drive me crazy to pay outrageous prices for someone to cut it in 5 minutes. So I bought some electric clippers and I cut DH’s and my hair. At least if I don’t like it I can complain right to the source. Plus it needs cutting every 2 or 3 weeks sometimes.

LPN, welcome. We always have room for one more. Your credentials sound good except we may be at our quota of nerds??? Let us check. (Just kidding) This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in. We do like you to sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location.

Jane, glad the surgery went well. (((Hugs)))

Betty, a big CONGRATS on that weight loss. You keep up whatever you are doing!!! Wooo Hoooo

Vicki, Lee is lucky to have you. It’s ashamed the next grief class at the funeral home doesn’t start for so long.

Meg, if you can’t find the color you want in quartz, have you looked at Stylestone? It is made from 90% quartz but comes in tones of colors. We got it in our kitchen and I love it.

Becca, wow have you been doing a great job. Way to go on the weight loss. I know you are happy about that!!!!

NMMargaret, glad you had a good time with your teacher friends. I have seen the small room size heat pumps that can heat and cool. The people I knew that had them seemed happy with them.

Janetr, it sounds like you have all the rewards you need, as it should be. We are just so used to rewarding everything with food and that is a great habit to break.

Mia, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Barbie, I know the lavender plants will be wonderful beside your garage. Good for you.

DrKatie, I understand about being set in your ways and not needing your DS to move back in. No matter how much we love them, it is very disruptive. I hope it’s for a short time. Do you have time to help look for a place for him?? angel.gif

The afgan is beautiful!!!

Last night I could not go to sleep. I had iced my shoulder before I went to bed but it still kept me awake hurting. At 1 am I got the heating pad and tried that for a while. I think I finally went to sleep around 2:00 so I’m off to bed early tonight. It doesn’t seem to be bothering me as much right now so hopefully I can sleep. I laughed on our way to dinner last night that even though it was a dinner, we were still having a "Day Date", since it would still be daylight when we got home. We do have a day date tomorrow, going to Costco and then to lunch. I've become such a homebody is many ways so it's fun to plan our outings together. I hope you all have a good night and a wonderful day tomorrow. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy032.gifDJ, my husband has been cutting his own hair for a few years. He got tired of spending first $25.00 then $16.00 every two weeks and then coming home and complaining about the barber.....we go on lots of dates, usually in the daylight because we go to bed at 7:30....some of our dates have been going to Walgreens for a flu shot, to the courthouse to pay the property tax, to the chiropractor twice a month, and to town to mail our ballots.

smiley-happy032.gifcsofled, the afghan is beautiful and looks like it will be warm and comfy.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    23,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking
    two hours on the exercise bike
    line dance class

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,728 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of exercise in the pool, then went to CVS to get soda for Vince, to the Salvation Army (only got one shirt), then Bells where I found this nice tablecloth for our pool social (and it was on sale, too!) but I'll need to cut it down for the banquet table, then Bi-Lo, Hancock fabrics to get the velcro the gal forgot to give Vince yesterday (plus, I used my 40% off coupon), home, got dinner prepared, went in the pool, vacuumed the spa and steps, did my exercises in the pool, had dinner, went to ceramics, now here.

The plan for tomorrow is to do a Strong Body, Ageless Body DVD.

Jane - wonder why your son didn't tell you about the surgery? Maybe it's minor and he didn't want you to worry? Glad to hear about baby Nathan

Kim - I've never frozen coconut milk (can't have it in the house), but I've frozen buttermilk. The only thing is that after you thaw it, you have to mix it up. Otherwise, the buttermilk freezes just fine.

Meg - you can also take the pic on your phone then email the pic to yourself. Save it on your computer then upload it here.

Alsion - good for you joining that gym!

MNMargaret - MEN!!!

Lillian - what a thoughtful hubby you have! He could maybe have gotten you some fruit. Happy belated birthday

katla - what an adorable poem. Thanks for posting it

DJ - I always tell them "no butter" when I go out to eat. Good for you! Whenever we go out to eat, I try hard to get a small portion and not have to take things home. Besides, it's usually cheaper....lol I've also found that it's better to say "no butter" than "light on the butter" because sometimes they think "light" means 1/4 pound versus the 1/2 pound they usually use

terri - bananas for 29 cents/pound! Awesome. Get some and freeze them at that price. Feel better soon

Penny - wonderful NSV!

Welcome everyone new!

pip - glad the dizzy spells are somewhat subsiding, but worried that you're still having them. That's wonderful about your workout buddy buying that house. Bet you two will get together

Betty - so sorry about your situation. No matter how old they get, we still worry. But good for you being down 2 lbs

fiddle - your chili sounds awesome (and looks it too)

Sue in WA - you can use the golden zucchini just like the green.

csofled - great afghan! I'm going to have to try c2c, just need to find the time, now

Penny - I don't know if you know this, I didn't until Jess told me about it. If you need to give the cat something (like maybe trimming his fur) and he does NOT want you to, take an old towel and put it over his head so he can't see you doing it.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Took kids to science city in Kansas City. Just got home. Too tired to read posts tonight. Will check in tomorrow.

Good night everyone.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends. Wish I could send some cool mountain breezes in the direction of all of you sweltering. B)

Pip: You’re one strong sistah. Good for you for turning down the surgery option.

Beth: Happy dance for you and the wonderful progress you’ve made since Christmas.

Meg: Argggh. Hope you find quartz in the color you want.

Becca: Congrats on the phenomenal loss and the wins at TOPS.

Katie: Keep it up. Slow and steady Turtle won the race.

Barbie: Can almost smell your wonderful lavender bushes.

Csofled: Beautiful afghan.

DJ: I can relate to ‘day dates’. I work from home, finish early and we like to get our running around done early before the peak of traffic.

Michele: Sounds like you have the entire event planned, and well in advance. Doubt you’ll run out of food.

I’m taking a medication every night for the nausea. I still wake up with a mild headache everyday. Thought I would get the results of the blood work by now, but no dice. Maybe tomorrow.

Today I took delivery of a smartphone furnished by our corporate IT department. It’s a huge difference from the Blackberry we have been issued for the past 8 years. Geeez, feel like such a rube learning the basics all over again. On flip side, with this Samsung, I will be able to have more fitness apps like MFP!

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    My word for 2014 is mindfulness.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Finally a good day today!! A lot of running around but that's okay, didn't overeat. And got a good walk in. DGD here for a bit and she will be back tomorrow while her dad cuts hay.

Night everyone..... tomorrow we will see how many peas an almost 2 year old can shell. She loves peas!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am doing the biggest loser challenge and the Divergent challenge. One focus more on weight loss to win and another on exercise and staying under calories. So I did two new youtube exercise videos 69 minutes of workout and I am tired.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, YEAH, you got the membership and going to get some pampering!!!

MNMargaret, got a 2nd bid today and it was almost exactly what the first one was. Still have two more to go. We aren't having the whole house painted. We have a all brick house so this is all the trim, front door, garage and back doors, guttering, soffits, pillars, trim around large front door, whatever that aluminum is above the brick at the ends of a house. Charlie says he is just going to call a handyman who does some odd jobs for us to just do some touch up. Well if that's what we pay for, that's what it will look like. He is always saying that all the men in his family die before they reach 70. His Dad died a few months after he was 70. He is 67 now so he says I can do all this work after he dies 'cause he's not paying for it. Oh, we also have to buy a new garage front and back door. The garage door is just plain broke and the back door was made very cheaply and the outer layer is coming off. Funny how men are about not needing AC in their house until they are in it full time. I know we couldn't be without our AC. Well with my MS I have a doctor's order that I have to have it. Our electric company has it on record to try to get our street up first if we have a power outage.

Lillian, why didn't you tell us your birthday was yesterday. Happy belated birthday to you. That sounds so cute to think of your 2 year old DGD shelling peas.

Carol, yes, there is a lot of business and money going out. Kind of scary. My daughter knows how I am about taking care of DGDs. So when they are here, sometimes they go out for a 10PM movie with Michelle and boyfriend. The kids are sound asleep by then. And our daughters get some time to be with each other and I'm sure talk about their poor aging parents!!!

DJ, it's Charlie to have to tell about not eating leftovers. WE got the medium pizza, He ate 1/2, I ate 1/4 and we brought home 1/4. Well as soon as we got home, he warmed up the other 1/4 and ate it. Then he got up in the night 6 times with diarrhea. That had been improving. He celebrated the other day that he had a semi-formed BM!!!! It was the first one since last November.

Terri, how do you use frozen bananas in oatmeal? I love oatmeal and I love bananas. But i like eating my fruit to take a long time and it sure doesn't take a long time to eat a banana

Heather, would they have treated you like that if they didn't know who you were and why you were there? Good idea to donate the cost of your meal to a charity. You are such a generous person.

Betty, congrats on the 2 pounds. Yeah, sometimes those tears just have to escape. But it isn't healthy keeping them in. I am a firm believer that ALL emotions are a gift from God but it is up to us as to how we use that gift. But if we don't use them the right way we are denying ourselves a gift and blessing from God.

Meg, that ACLS test is one thing I do not miss about not being able to work. It was such a shock to us the first time we had to take it.

Janetr, Indiana just keeps a bunch of pics for our driver's license and we can renew our license online and they just send it in the mail. But this year I wanted the new me on that license! Was so glad I did.

csofled, beautiful afghan, looks so comfy. Please remind me again what your name is!!!!

Well, we don't just have the tree and bushes taken out on Tuesday. On Monday Charlie gets his first Remicade treatment! After he hung up when they called him this afternoon he sounded so defeated. I think just gettig the treatment makes this whole process real to him. It sure would be better if we knew what the bottom line is on how much it will cost. But he is in the gap now as far as his Medicare D so his co-pay will be more until he gets out of the gap. And I hope it won't take long. I know when I as a good girl and taking my MS medicine, I would go into the gap in March and was out of the gap by the end of March. So then every medicine I took was dirt cheap. Well I don't know if you want to consider Avonex at $165 dirt cheap but when full cost is well over $1000 I will pay $165 any day. They did tell us that we might need to wait until about the 3rd treatment before we can expect any results. It is usually an every 8 week treatment but when you start it, it's treatment, then two more every 2 weeks and then every 8 weeks. I think all that money is weighing very heavy on him. But that's natural. And he doesn't have a good way of venting it except to get very mad.

Mia, leavin on a jet plane, don't know when she's comin back again. Have fun.

Joyce, Indiana

• iemchico14
    iemchico14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    zuns2r5papxl.jpg

The first day of a new month is a clean slate....turning the page on the calendar tells me that I can make a fresh start with new plans and new goals. Thus we start this thread anew each month.

Reflect on how you did with your goals and resolutions for June and then set them aside and move on.
    What goals and resolutions do you have for July? It's a bright shiny new month and a chance to make a fresh start.

June Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day (every day and some days many more)
    *strength training twice a week (once a week)
    *don't take things personally (a necessary and useful outlook many times during the month)
    * figure out a good meatless low sodium stew recipe (created an easy one that I'll use again)

July Resolutions
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day
    * drink at least nine glasses of water a day
    *answer two long overdue e mails
    *strength training twice a week

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lillian - Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!!!

Joyce- I hope all goes well with Charlie's treatment.

Mary from Minnesota
  • iemchico14
    iemchico14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here and I would love to get to know you all as I take responsibility for my life and health. My name is Ina, am 52 and need to lose 100 pounds. Being 5'10" only helps for so long and then you start thinking you are 3' wide.

Very hot in California right now and have a miserable swamp cooler. Have a Wii Fit and several DVD work outs to chose from. Its being motivated after working all day. Have a pic of myself before my wedding that is at my weight 31 years ago. Want to get as close as possible.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Almost made it through but not quite. The DGSs went to long board clinic this evening. DGS # 1 got back in time to eat from his other Grandma's . Nice woman but it is always a hassle co-ordinating with her and neither DS or DSIL want him spending overly much time there.
    I'm finding the boys exhausting when they are together. Hopefully I can catch up tomorrow.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,818 Member
    Options
    beautiful afghan... I have one from a dear friend that I cherish.I am awake at 3:30 this morning and have alot to do.
    They are coming to install countertops at 8 this morning,I am going to ice my heal as it is othering me and have acup of tea...then off to zumba.. whish me luck on that one... cant hurt to try something new...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,368 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Alison - Hope you enjoy the zumba!

Joyce - I didn't give the whole amount, but it was nice to make a contribution to sponsor the charity bike ride. Odyssey is a charity that supported me after my breast cancer. They take survivors on an adventure course for 5 days to get their confidence back. I was terrified some of the time, but it was certainly amazing and memorable and the friend who came to stay recently was someone I met on the course.

Mary - Sounds like you are having a great time. Looooove the hotel room!

I'm doing my "cheese exercises", imagining I'm eating lots of cheese 3 times a day. The idea is to get you habituated to the craved substance so you don't crave it so much. Worth a try. I'm enjoying it anyway. :laugh:
    Other exercises I do regularly are face exercises, pelvic floor exercises, foot arch exercises, knee exercises, ankle exercises. . . . . . . . Phew! :laugh: Most of them I can do watching the tv. The face ones I do while on my machines.

Janetr - There are a few of us on here who are amazed and delighted at the difference losing weight has made to our lives. Holding on to that feeling long term is essential if we are to keep it off. A daily gratitude review is an excellent idea. My DH is really good at reminding me how far I've come when I moan about "having" to exercise. The transformation truly is life changing as you have found.
    Staying fit at nearly 66 is, for me, astonishing. Even daily things like walking round the shops is a joy when you don't have backache and have to lean on the trolley to get round. It was funny yesterday being told by the younger man in the shop that I was in "good shape". On the inevitable days when I feel a bit blah I try to remember how far I've come and how badly I was crippled by my weight.
    I read the book Winning After Losing by Stacey Halprin after the recommendation on the thread. A useful reminder at how very, very easy it is to put it all back on again and how we have to work on OURSELVES to be that new slim person. Enjoying life is key, as is nourishing healthy relationships and developing strong boundaries. Some of the women on here are working on these things with great determination and bravery.

Losing weight and getting fit is as much in the head as anything else. I am so proud of myself that I am now back to my writing and exhibiting the kind of self discipline I never thought I had in me. A long standing phobia has disappeared. I have a different opinion of myself. Who would have thought all that could come from losing weight! When I do have weak moment or a mini binge it's usually because I have temporarily lost my self respect. Building good daily habits is a help with that. Slowly I began to grow into the kind of person I always wanted to be. I am an unfinished project, but I am no longer a mess. :laugh:

OK, got a bit of shopping to do this afternoon. Will cook Hairy Bikers this evening. :laugh: 400 cals of deliciousness. By the end of today I will have evened up yesterday's indulgence. :bigsmile:

Annr/Becca - congratulations on the great weight loss. You'll soon be too small for your gorgeous dress!

Lots of love Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I am doing the biggest loser challenge and the Divergent challenge. One focus more on weight loss to win and another on exercise and staying under calories. So I did two new youtube exercise videos 69 minutes of workout and I am tired.

Wow, good going. No wonder your tired.