Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I have to disagree and say that fitness is just as (if not more) important than diet. I know I will be attacked for this, but I just cannot agree.

Fitness is key to weight control. If a person is at a good fitness level, they would have to literally be a glutton to become over weight. In addition, the more over weight a person is, the lower their fitness level.

Let the attacks begin... :)

I agree, to an extent. I think it depends on the amount of exercise.

When I was training for tournaments, I would literally burn an additional 1500-2000 calories daily from 4-6 hours of training. I would lose weight even though my intake was much higher than my usual maintenance amount. So in that case you could say it was 100% exercise (because I didn't reduce calories at all; in fact, I increased them)

Now, I probably burn 200-500 a day and diet is a bigger portion of the equation.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

(Unfortunately when the activity level drops suddenly ... like when you develop DVT after a long-haul flight ... it is difficult to readjust the eating adequately.)

Agree completely and OMG this happened to you??

Yep. Turns out I have a genetic predisposition toward developing blood clots.

I didn't figure I had anything at all to worry about. I'm active, I wasn't at all overweight then, and I'm the one walking up and down and up and down the airport when I travel.

But as the plane was circling Melbourne, I felt my left calf cramp. Oh well, I thought, I'll just walk it off. 6 weeks later I was in hospital with my left leg absolutely chalk full of clots. They kept me in for 2 weeks and by the time they let me out, I couldn't walk around the block without having to stop and rest. :(

And yep, even though I did try to adjust my diet ... I put on weight.

That must have been terrifying! What luck you had that nothing happened during those 6 weeks, and that you got help in time! Glad you pulled through. It's worth a bit of extra padding :)

The 2 or 3 days just before I was hospitalised were the most terrifying. All of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. On the Monday, I walked out to meet my husband on his way home from work, like I usually did, and couldn't cover the 2 kilometres. I just couldn't breathe. He found me sitting on the path gasping for air.

The next day, I was trying to sweep the floor ... and couldn't do it. I just couldn't get enough air in to move a broom. And then suddenly the door swung open and my husband dashed inside, took one look at me, and practically carried me out to the car and to the Dr.

He said he had been working when all of a sudden he felt so strongly that he needed to get to me and get me to a Dr. Thank goodness he did. Even the ultrasound technician wouldn't let me leave the hospital, I was in that bad shape.

There is nothing scarier than feeling your body betray you like that. What a nightmare. Strong connection you and your husband have, lifesaving, even :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. I love to exercise , but I don't need it to lose weight, I just need a calorie deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I have to disagree and say that fitness is just as (if not more) important than diet. I know I will be attacked for this, but I just cannot agree.

Fitness is key to weight control. If a person is at a good fitness level, they would have to literally be a glutton to become over weight. In addition, the more over weight a person is, the lower their fitness level.

Let the attacks begin... :)
    NFL Offensive/Defensive lineman are probably much more conditioned/fit and faster than many average lean fit people. And many are gluttons and are overweight for their size.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. I love to exercise , but I don't need it to lose weight, I just need a calorie deficit.

And of course, exercise can help provide that calorie deficit. :)

• Machka9
    Options

(Unfortunately when the activity level drops suddenly ... like when you develop DVT after a long-haul flight ... it is difficult to readjust the eating adequately.)

Agree completely and OMG this happened to you??

Yep. Turns out I have a genetic predisposition toward developing blood clots.

I didn't figure I had anything at all to worry about. I'm active, I wasn't at all overweight then, and I'm the one walking up and down and up and down the airport when I travel.

But as the plane was circling Melbourne, I felt my left calf cramp. Oh well, I thought, I'll just walk it off. 6 weeks later I was in hospital with my left leg absolutely chalk full of clots. They kept me in for 2 weeks and by the time they let me out, I couldn't walk around the block without having to stop and rest. :(

And yep, even though I did try to adjust my diet ... I put on weight.

That must have been terrifying! What luck you had that nothing happened during those 6 weeks, and that you got help in time! Glad you pulled through. It's worth a bit of extra padding :)

The 2 or 3 days just before I was hospitalised were the most terrifying. All of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. On the Monday, I walked out to meet my husband on his way home from work, like I usually did, and couldn't cover the 2 kilometres. I just couldn't breathe. He found me sitting on the path gasping for air.

The next day, I was trying to sweep the floor ... and couldn't do it. I just couldn't get enough air in to move a broom. And then suddenly the door swung open and my husband dashed inside, took one look at me, and practically carried me out to the car and to the Dr.

He said he had been working when all of a sudden he felt so strongly that he needed to get to me and get me to a Dr. Thank goodness he did. Even the ultrasound technician wouldn't let me leave the hospital, I was in that bad shape.

There is nothing scarier than feeling your body betray you like that. What a nightmare. Strong connection you and your husband have, lifesaving, even :)

:) And although we had been married for almost a year by that point, we had only just started living together. Strong connection developed over a long distance!! :)

• longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree. I see " exercise " more for toning etc. If you want to lose pounds then eat less and better.
  • bryonbella
    bryonbella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The way my nutritionist said it was: "exercise alone will not help you lose weight. You must reduce your calories otherwise there are still too many to burn off." Exercise is essential in losing weight in order to increase the metabolism, however, the kind of exercise will determine how quickly and where the fat comes off. Weight lifting and "burst training" are the best methods to burn more fat, more quickly and over a longer period of time during the day, even when you're not exercising. Look up the new statistics for burst training weight loss. We have more sophisticated machines now that can measure this kind of exercise, despite it being around since the Greek Olympics.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

Do what works for you. There are many of us here who find adherence to a deficit very difficult without significant exercise - so for us, weight loss is basically all about the exercise.

You and your friend may be the same, or different.
  • bryonbella
    bryonbella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In addition to supporting adherence/motivation with dieting, some kinds of cardio can reduce appetite in some people.

And for fitness, not even a question, do what you can.

Exercise has always increased my appetite, however, that doesn't mean I shouldn't do it. If I eat the right things, it doesn't matter how hungry I am; I will still lose weight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Weight loss happens wherever you are able to create a calorific deficit. I really dislike the above saying SLL because it blurrs the issue, whilst pretending to be clear. All things being equal 500 calories not eaten is going to be the same as 500 calories burned in the gym.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I think the argument is more about the wording.

Overall deficit matters, not how you get there.

Exactly this!

A good thing to point out, a lot of smaller women have very low calorie allowances when losing weight, so therefore we cannot just eat less, because often that puts us below safe guidelines for nutrition and intake, we must instead move!!
    So exercise does help some lose weight faster!! And it does build muscle which burns larger amounts of calories proportionately. So in a lot of words...yes and no to your question lol.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Exercise if done well has as a side effect water weight gain first.

Only thing exercise does for weight loss is make you burn more daily.

When you eat less than that to lose weight, you get to eat more with exercise than if you did no exercise.

That might help you adhere better, getting to eat more.

Better adherence is better results.

And the exercise transforms the body usually by way of more inch changes than you may see pound changes.

That may give you a more positive attitude, actually seeing improvements, and others seeing and commenting on it.

So in a round-about way exercise can help with weight loss - but not directly.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Almost all my weight loss was without exercise. So it's totally possible. However, exercise is good for other reasons, and can be a good tool for weight loss. But you can do it without. I started walking in Janurary for a class, and continue to do so to try and get my asthma under control, but weight loss is a side effect of it for me.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    I really cnat see why many of you are just confusing the issue. Cityruss said it more succinctly
  • Machka9
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Weight loss happens wherever you are able to create a calorific deficit. I really dislike the above saying SLL because it blurrs the issue, whilst pretending to be clear. All things being equal 500 calories not eaten is going to be the same as 500 calories burned in the gym.

+1

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The first time I trained for a marathon (many, many years ago) I was shocked to find that I had actually gained weight over the course of my training. I think that was because I wasn't tracking my calories at the time. I was obviously eating above and beyond the calories that I burned running. Exercise helped me to be fitter, but it didn't cause weight loss by itself. During my recent trainings, I have managed to maintain or lose because I have been actively tracking my calories.

It's true that exercise can help you create a deficit and earn more calories to eat, but exercise alone probably won't do anything to help you lose weight if you're eating all those calories right back. Personally, as someone who has successfully lost weight and maintained for several years now, I consider diet to be the key to weight management, and exercise to be more for improving fitness, health, mood and energy. But that's just my opinion. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I really cnat see why many of you are just confusing the issue. Cityruss said it more succinctly

That statement is incorrect.
  • 999tigger
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That statement is incorrect.

well explain why then and make it as clear as possible so we arent going round in circles or retreading old ground.